• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate ZSS.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Better ways to translate DS into in-game mechanics, and at least it was the main villain/final boss for at least 2 games in its series (I'm guessing DS also makes a prominent appearance as a villain in MP3).
Somewhat true... Dark Samus did not play a huge role in Prime 2, that was based around the Ing more than Dark Samus and actual phazon (although the entire arc had phazon based roots). Prime 3 on the other hand, was based entirely around Dark Samus.

Ridley would better represent the franchise even if he would be hard to make playable :ohwell:

Anyway, I happen to like the idea of Zero Suit Samus, so why am I in this thread anyway.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I wish I could stick a pool ball up everyone's butts who is agreeing with TC.

ZSS= SAMUS.

Now can we all just get along and drink some tea, like Peach and Shiek do in the face of danger?

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Now I don't despise the character ZSS, she may be fun to play as. I just despise the fact that she may take the place of other, much more deserving characters. Sure she is original but she is unneeded and was wanted only by people who are just going to jack off to her instead of playing as her.

I'm a gay male, so I have no attraction to her at all and I definitely won't be "jacking off to her" and I still think she's a cool/fun character concept.

Seriously, is there a single person here that honestly thought? "Hey, I really want to play as Samus in her Zero suit because she would have a cool moveset and be an original concept."
I mean, really, it's all about the paralyzer. Haloid didn't help matter either.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
You can't say that ZSS is taking up a spot for precisely the reason that's already been said: she's an alternate Samus, she takes up no character box. What were they gonna do, have Samus use her final smash and then OMIGAWD she magically turns into Ridley? Besides, Smash needs more female characters anyways.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think we should pool everyone's anger and yell about how nobody likes/plays/cares about Lucas.
Plenty of people like Ness. In fact, I think some hate has been going to Ness since he wasn't really needed because Lucas practically replaced him.

abgar

Smash Apprentice
i really preffer ridley as a powerful boss a lot more than a underpowered playable character like mewtwo was

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
This is the gayest discussion ever.
Use common sense. Ridley is too big. Dark Samus wouldn't be much different than Samus.

ZSamus has a good, original moveset. And when I'm playing with her, She is FUN.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
But you just said that Samus only counts as 1 character...

Unless you meant "Smash needs more BOOBS," in which case I'm inclined to agree.
I'm normally inclined to play female characters in fighting games whether or not they provide fan service.

Kips

Smash Ace
Zero Suit Samus is a strong addition, and while I agree that she may seem... extravagant, she does not take someone slot up. Currently she shares her slot with Samus due to the hold R function, similar to Sheik and Zelda. And she's just plain awesome.

DQP

Smash Ace
zamus doesn't take up a slot. she is a transformation. besides, if ou hate her, don't play as her

G-X

Smash Apprentice
ZSS is just in there for fanservice? Please. If they wanted to provide fanservice, they would've apologized to Square and got Geno for Brawl.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Seriously, is there a single person here that honestly thought? "Hey, I really want to play as Samus in her Zero suit because she would have a cool moveset and be an original concept."
Um, yes. Me. I wanted a Metroid rep. that was quick and combo-able like Sheik, so I thought, "Hmm, I sure hope they make Samus so she can lose her armor and gain speed!" Well, I sort of got my wish, since now you can start off as ZSS. But, when I think about it, being able to transform freely between the two would make her godlike, and nobody wants that (think about it: being able to freely switch between quite possibly the best long range fighter and a quick, Sheik-like character?). So, I actually like the way she has been set up; it brings more strategy into the mix. I, personally, will be using ZSS a LOT more than I will Samus.

Sorry, I haven't read the rest of the thread, I just read the opening statement. I felt I should respond to it.

Kips

Smash Ace
I'll admit- I initially chose to main ZSS due to the fanservice aspect. After watching some gameplay and thinking about it, I realize that it is as close to my playing style as I can get. I used to play Sheik and Jiggs, quick and light combo characters so Zamus fits my style perfectly.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I actually kind of have to agree. But, Brawl has many marketing characters:

ZSS: Sex appeal
Snake
Sonic

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
ZSS is everything that's wrong with the modern Metroid Series.

I don't care about the blatant sexualism, because in all honesty Samus stripped at the end of every game.

Its just that Animu Barbie doll samus is horrible compared to what they did for Samus in Prime 1, and were then forced to adhere to in Prime 2 afterwards. <_<;

That and ZM is blah.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
It just feels weird because its nintendo. Imagine ZSamus like model in a Square-Enix game and everyone would think its normal.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
"(insert your name)"
besides, have you even seen her fight? she's really good. she DOES have a cool moveset and is definitely an original concept with her plasma whip and paralyzer(sp?)

and lets face it; there was NEVER a chance for Ridley to be in Brawl as a playable character, especially since he's
a boss in SSE

BTW, you have the option to begin a fight as ZSS, the same way you could for Sheik(sp?) in SSBM

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
ok this is your thoughts and we dont care about em! if you hate ZSS dont post in anything here!
Are we supposed to only post what agrees with YOU, free speech yall', don't be such a Stalin.

Take his viewpoint in, especially in retrospect of the fact that, yes, she probably did take the space of another metroid rep (though she IS selectable from the start menu, as proven earlier). Metroid is a vast franchise and deserved more than one rep, the only chars with only 1 rep in Brawl are like chars that shoudn't be in a fighting game (Cfalcon) and retro/small franchise chars (Pit, Game and Watch).

--- summary of that paragraph, Brawl was going to give Metroid more than 1 rep, turns out there was going to be 2. Zamus probably took away another reps chances, such as Dark Samus (main antogonist of Prime series) or Ridley (I'm not so sure about ridley though, I think the devs planned him as a boss from the start). Sure Zamus technically appears in every metroid game, usually at the end, but she IS samus, just in a different outfit.

Honestly the only reason i see her in Brawl is to accentuate that yes, Samus is a woman (which we barely had an idea of in SSB64 and didn't in SSBM) and boost girl reps. This could have been achieved, though, by making Samus more like her Prime counter part, with a transparent visor and sound affects that sound like... well a girl not a robot!... and for girl reps they could have added Krystal, why another fox-like space animal? ( yes i understand he doesn't play anything like fox but really, they could have gotten more creative, "I know what would be an awsome FS for Wolf," "what a landmaster?" "no a R4D L4NDM4ST0R")

I'm sure the majority is pleased and doesn't care but this is a sad day for metroid fans.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Are we supposed to only post what agrees with YOU, free speech yall', don't be such a Stalin.

Take his viewpoint in, especially in retrospect of the fact that, yes, she probably did take the space of another metroid rep (though she IS selectable from the start menu, as proven earlier). Metroid is a vast franchise and deserved more than one rep, the only chars with only 1 rep in Brawl are like chars that shoudn't be in a fighting game (Cfalcon) and retro/small franchise chars (Pit, Game and Watch).

--- summary of that paragraph, Brawl was going to give Metroid more than 1 rep, turns out there was going to be 2. Zamus probably took away another reps chances, such as Dark Samus (main antogonist of Prime series) or Ridley (I'm not so sure about ridley though, I think the devs planned him as a boss from the start). Sure Zamus technically appears in every metroid game, usually at the end, but she IS samus, just in a different outfit.

Honestly the only reason i see her in Brawl is to accentuate that yes, Samus is a woman (which we barely had an idea of in SSB64 and didn't in SSBM) and boost girl reps. This could have been achieved, though, by making Samus more like her Prime counter part, with a transparent visor and sound affects that sound like... well a girl not a robot!... and for girl reps they could have added Krystal, why another fox-like space animal? ( yes i understand he doesn't play anything like fox but really, they could have gotten more creative, "I know what would be an awsome FS for Wolf," "what a landmaster?" "no a R4D L4NDM4ST0R")

I'm sure the majority is pleased and doesn't care but this is a sad day for metroid fans.
I like how people attempt to justify that there's "plenty of rep chances" in Metroid. Sure, it's a big franchise, but how many really developed characters are there? Ridley's a big stretch, and he's a boss in SSE. And as for Dark Samus, that's essentially Samus' suit without ****ing Samus in it. There's no original moveset in that. Zamus is about as original as they could get without over-extending one of the other less-developed characters in the game.

ShadowRegulus

Smash Rookie
I'm not a Dark Samus fan... I dislike her/him/it, in fact, but if you think Dark Samus has no moveset potential, you're either ignorant or you haven't played the games she's in.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I'm not a Dark Samus fan... I dislike her/him/it, in fact, but if you think Dark Samus has no moveset potential, you're either ignorant or you haven't played the games she's in.
Even if she had an original moveset, there's nothing in there to distinguish her besides (oh my god) a darker suit. Zamus is in, all the *****ing is out.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I like how people attempt to justify that there's "plenty of rep chances" in Metroid. Sure, it's a big franchise, but how many really developed characters are there? Ridley's a big stretch, and he's a boss in SSE. And as for Dark Samus, that's essentially Samus' suit without ****ing Samus in it. There's no original moveset in that. Zamus is about as original as they could get without over-extending one of the other less-developed characters in the game.
Exactly. I'm glad someone else saw that.

First off: I love Metroid. I was the only one in my group of friend who knew Samus was a girl when we got SSB64- in fact, I was probably the only one who knew her name was "Samus" and not, in fact, "Metroid". And I was upset that there was never a Metroid 64, and since Japan never seemed to like the game, I was doubtful about GCN. When I finally got my new Metroid games, I was beyond happy.

Now, with reps, who do we have that could be a legit contender?

1) Samus
2) Zero Suit Samus (same person, COMPLETELY different moves)
3) Ridley (Sure, he'd be different, but you try and come up with moves for this guy. Plus, he's f'ing huge. He'd really have to be brought down to size)
4) Dark Samus (contrary to common belief, there IS a different moveset here. If you've played the game, you'll notice that Dark Samus doesn't use the same weaponry as Samus, she/it uses Phazon type attacks. DS would float around instead of run, giving her/it a sliding motion and more fluid movements like Mewtwo. It's definitely workable)

And that's it. Personally, despite what everyone else has cried over, I'm glad Ridley is only a boss. I think, honestly, he wouldn't translate into brawl well at all, and he'd become the new Melee Bowser. Dark Samus I would like, and ZSS I love- she was the main one of the three possible newbies I wanted to see in the next Smash before Brawl was ever announced, simply because of speed and a new look.

But, let's face it, Metroid is a game about a mysterious bounty hunter woman behind a mask taking on the world. Unless you added in bountry hunters from the recent MP3:Corruption and MP:Hunters games, which would be stupid since they have yet to make any kind of impact on the Metroid franchise as a whole, those four are the only possibilities. Give Sakurai some credit and have faith in his game that he has worked so incredibly hard on.

Plus, how many whiners have actually PLAYED the game and still groan about it? Seems like anyone that has played it never really wants to whine about the roster anymore. I just want to play it finally, personally. I don't even care if Jar Jar Binks is in it!

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . .Wow, so now that the dust has cleared people want to "hate" ZSS for taking their dragon friend's spot.:ohwell:

I find it odd some people direct their hate to ZSS when it was Sakurai's and friends choice to do this. Really, ZSS didn't take anyone's "spot", had they not choosen her theres nothing saying they would have choosen DS or Lee. Theres nothing saying they would have given the series any 2nd character if they looked over ZSS so why assume so?

Thats like me saying I "hate" Sheik cause Midna would have been a better character or I "hate" Wolf because Krytal would have been a better choice or I "hate" PT because they could have made 3 whole other characters with the time it took to make the RB starters. To read some of the complants I read around this site. . . it's border-line pathetic. I also find it odd people where willing to say they would have perfered Lee as a Char clone more than a boss. . . as if anyone would call Lee the clone in such a event.( Im sure Char would be seen as the clone seeing as they are both new and how annoying some Lee fans are)

Heres the resonable picks beside Zero. . .
1, A recurring side boss.
2, A Dark mirror of the main character (I don't care how different the moves could be, they could have made Shadow Mario unique too. .. doesn't mean it's a great idea to make a shadow virson of the main character)

. . .Yeah, ripe pickings. . .

This is more like the relationship between Zelda and Sheik and the only ones who complained about that where Zelda fans how didnt like her being in Sheik's shadow. Play the game first before b****ing and moaning about how no one wanted ZSS and Lee or DS would have been better picks please. Be happy the series you love gets 2 characters . . . theres not much they could choose grom anyway with out over rating the character's importance.

Peace. . .

Top Bottom