• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate "Rate my 'character name here'" threads

Framerate

Smash Lord
With the release of Brawl, there have been a lot of new players who have taken full advantage of the "clean slate" nature of competitive play. Honestly, I'm all for that. It's great seeing more people move from casual gaming to competitive gaming. More competitive smashers, the more we get noticed as a community, the bigger impact smash can have on the gaming world. Great.

With that being said, a lot of these newer players are insecure of their playing style/ability. Thus, they video tape themselves and ask us how good they are, how they can improve. Another positive step towards creating a better, stronger, more successful community. So, where's the problem?

Well, the problem is in organization and overall self-centered-ness(?)

Having each person make their own thread focusing on them just seems egotistical. It kinda makes the smash community seem self-centered. Well, we kinda are, but we could at least act a bit less. I mean everyone wants to make a name for him/herself and not all of us can go to tourneys every weekend, so we get a lot of people posting videos and asking (hypothetically) how they would do if they went to a tournament.

Also it crowds the individual character boards. Just too many of the same thing. "My name is (random name generator) could my fox own this guy?" Then we all respond: "Yeah dood u would do great man" "Get a new controller or something, you ain't good" "Try using Dair more"

Okay, so what's the deal? Can we do something about this? Maybe we could have a thread dedicated to posting videos of yourself and getting feedback. You post a video of yourself and while you're waiting for responses, you watch others and give constructive criticism and/or overall praise. I think we can do it.

Then again, why is this in the Fox boards? Well that's simple. Cause I want you to rate my Fox. And then rate each others. The fox boards will start a trend of "Character Improvement" threads. Maybe. It's totally up to you guys. Anyways, here are some videos of me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Y7_mWfoRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTm9RYVOVJk

Duo55

Smash Ace
To be honest (IMO ofcourse) your fox is good, but its very standard. Truth is, alot of the Fox players use very simalar strategies (not that its expected to be different, this game is still new) Try uping your aggression by 30%

•Col•

Smash Champion
Meh... The Marth and DDD weren't that good and the Game&Watch was meh... And it was hard to see what was going on in the video sometimes with the glare/shadow/whatever it was...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I only watched the DDD video and you play a little too predictable. You do the standard dair and up tilt combos, but other than that, you didn't really mix it up, I didn't see one nair the whole video and every time DDD got to a high percentage you were like"OMG I have to get the upsmash kill" and you kept trying running upsmashes.Of course your opponent knows he can die by the upsmash and they'll try to do anything to not get hit by it. Of course you should kill with the upsmash but you can also kill with the bair and uair and ocassionally a dsmash or fsmash.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
In addition to what has been stated above, I noticed that you took very few risks. When you knocked your opponent off the edge, what did you do? you sat there and waited patiently for them to return. not once did you go after them. Fox is gifted with a good upward recovery, maybe not as great as some, but it gets the job done, I have been literally inches from death at the bottom limit of the stage and made it back with firefox. So don't be such a wimp, go out there, wasn't it Sakurai himself who said "Run! Fly! Move boldly! for such moves are the essence of Fox!"? he's right you know, some of my best kills have been B-airs while over the edge, or D-air gimps that drag my opponent down, and the ever popular shine-spike. Even if you won't kill, go out there anyway, make them nervous, make them think twice.

kriatevPit

Smash Cadet
"you stink! go trake a shower and come back and you will feel refreshed and you will play better" - my best friend said that to me and i guess in this situation it applies like Duct Tape. you needa clean up some the tactics you already use and switch up for some new ones in awhile. dont sweat it cus u will need to take another shower but think of it now as the new stuff as deoderant... you kinda need it unless you want to shower twice a day

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
I watched a little of the second vid. Stop the rolls they dont work. You Fox illusioned. WHY? And D3 owned the stage against you. Your fox is sorta similar to mine cept I get the game confused with Melee and aim for shine spikes and other stuff that dont work.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Whats wrong with shine-spikes? They work completely fine in Brawl.

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
No they sure as hell dont. Sometimes it doesnt even kill. Like against rob. G&W beats the shine with upb. Mario stage spikes with his upb.MK and Marf can also stage spike. D3 can avoid easily. Some characters get beat, with bad recoveries that would die on their own anyways. Im telling you its good but it doesnt make a difference that would help.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
There are two things wrong with your OP.
First, there is no "clean slate" nature of brawl.
Second, The threads are good things, they've been like this for years for a reason. The problem lays in the community, and in the game. These threads used to be more useful when A) there were more character specific techniques you had to make use of, and people could point out areas where you could use them, and how to work those into your game. Brawl's lack of these and other options make it harder for people to give advice on additional things to do. B) There were good players around that would post. There are ZERO good fox players that post here, a few low end players at best (if you're taking offense to this, it means you're probably worse even more bad, since most low end players know they're low end). With this much of a slant towards bad players, all the advice tends to be bad, badly worded, or not developed.
On a side note, myself and others don't do much advice giving on videos since brawl vids are so boring to watch.

Top Bottom