• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I feel guilty for using my Mario in For Glory

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Because he is way too good. I'm not bragging, I really do feel guilty. To make things fair, I would usually choose another character I'm average with, like DK or Megaman. I would hold out on Mario until I think I've finally met a person of my skill level. Once I think I have found that person, I would pick Mario.... and then I would dominate him much to my dismay...

I believe my Mario is the inner demon that I must control, because once he's unleashed, he can not be stopped. I rarely ever get to pick him in For Glory because I really want to give everyone a fair chance at winning.

I know this shouldn't be too much of a concern and I should just play Mario, but what fun is there on winning all the time? I usually use For Glory to improve on characters I'm not so good at. Sure I'll end up getting more losses than wins online when it should be the other way around, but what matters is that I learn more about the characters I'm not used to by practicing with them online.

Does anyone feel the same way with their mains, or am I just being too sensitive and modest?

Last edited:

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Not going to argue. Mario is one of the characters that gives me the most trouble. I can certainly say I've lost to him more than I've beat him in 1v1 For Glory.

Spirst

Good Marios have given me some issues before. I used to be the same with using Jigglypuff or Charizard rather than my actual main, Greninja. Eventually, I just thought, "eh", and now I use Greninja majority of the time.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Rosalina is the main problem, imo. Mario is cool in my book. Maybe I need to run into more good players that can take a round off of me. 86% win/lose after all this time just seems uncanny. >_>

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Me, I'm the kinda person who'll always pick the same character in every situation. Doesn't matter if I'm crushing some noob or just lodging myself on the end of my opponent's blade, I'll always be Pit. And Dark Pit.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Yeah I just pick my mains regardless unless I'm playing friendlies with people specifically. Otherwise I'm always trying to win in the most impressive ways. If I'm not trying all the time and getting better with my main, how would I ever win any tournies against people who ONLY lab with their mains? FOR GLORY SUCKA

Lichi

This is my war snarl
So while we're talking about Mario, can you tell me if it is just me or does he have a nasty down-throw into multiple up-tilt combo that fantastically racks up damage?

But on topic: You should not be concerned for winning in a competitive game. If you get your enjoyment out of Mario, there's nothing wrong with it. And personally, I feel a bit angry when people beat me with their mains and then switch to their lesser characters. Once I lost a match, I just need to beat you with that char (for my own pride), and I bet I am not the only one who thinks so.
So for people like me, you'd be doing us a favor by using your best character :p

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
So while we're talking about Mario, can you tell me if it is just me or does he have a nasty down-throw into multiple up-tilt combo that fantastically racks up damage?

But on topic: You should not be concerned for winning in a competitive game. If you get your enjoyment out of Mario, there's nothing wrong with it. And personally, I feel a bit angry when people beat me with their mains and then switch to their lesser characters. Once I lost a match, I just need to beat you with that char (for my own pride), and I bet I am not the only one who thinks so.
So for people like me, you'd be doing us a favor by using your best character :p
I tried to like this 100x. There's nothing I HATE more than someone beating me 1 or 2 times then switching off to a different character. The reason I stayed is because I want that matchup, not because I like abuse. I need that win so I can learn

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
It's not you who's good, but just the people in for glory who are exceptionnally bad. I'm pretty sure that with the current proportion of bad players, you have a very low chance of fighting someone good and it leads most brawl veterans to have 90% winrate with random characters.

Conclusion: don't play for glory unless you want to try random characters (it's slightly more interesting than fighting cpus) because it's pointless for your training, just play with people met online on message boards for example.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
Don't feel guilty. The ones that should be guilty are the little mac players and the spammers.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario is really bad, and For Glory so I've heard is pretty much a joke at this instant while rankings aren't well established and worldwide there aren't that many people who have strong fighting game fundamentals.

To repeat, Mario is one of the worst characters in the game, and you shouldn't feel bad using him. Most of his nonsense is easily escaped unless you play like...Ganon or Ike. He doesn't do much damage per hit, he doesn't kill early, and his recovery is bad. And most characters are stronger than him in midrange.

Easily a bottom 5 character in this game. Mario was more nerfed than buffed. Lost Jab cancels, recovery got worse, damage per hit was nerfed without making his combo game significantly more reliable. The only thing redeeming him is that most characters in this game were nerfed too. Just Mario in particular actually lost options that were important to his game without gaining much in return.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Mario is really bad, and For Glory so I've heard is pretty much a joke at this instant while rankings aren't well established and worldwide there aren't that many people who have strong fighting game fundamentals.

To repeat, Mario is one of the worst characters in the game, and you shouldn't feel bad using him. Most of his nonsense is easily escaped unless you play like...Ganon or Ike. He doesn't do much damage per hit, he doesn't kill early, and his recovery is bad. And most characters are stronger than him in midrange.

Easily a bottom 5 character in this game. Mario was more nerfed than buffed. Lost Jab cancels, recovery got worse, damage per hit was nerfed without making his combo game significantly more reliable. The only thing redeeming him is that most characters in this game were nerfed too. Just Mario in particular actually lost options that were important to his game without gaining much in return.
You're selling the guy short so hard...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You're selling the guy short so hard...
Ganondorf, the worst character in the game, is looking possibly viable competitively. Doesn't mean he isn't terrible. Similarly, Mario is terrible, but sorta saved by the general balance of the game being pretty tame.

I mean come on, what are Mario's consistent, safe, rewarding options? He doesn't kill early. He relies on matchup inexperience or his opponent having a really predictable recovery to gimp. His combo game is nothing special. And he has some of the shortest overall range in the game, and Mario himself is very easily juggled and gimped.

And you say I'm selling Mario short. I'm being realistic. His reward isn't outstanding, and his neutral game is mediocre, and his negative state is considerably below average. Bottom 5 character.

Last edited:

SuperBottle

Smash Cadet
NNID
El Toro
3DS FC
4356-0343-9127

YES! This times twenty-two. If I lose to a character, then I'm going to try and learn the play-style and technique someone used for said character. If they switch to another character and I win, I don't feel satisfied. I want to learn and get better. Some revenge might be laced in there, but you get the deal.

BACK ON TOPIC

Yeah, I actually haven't had many problems with Mario. I just haven't faced enough Mario mains to see how good he is. I might end up using him as a secondary character, as I was always a fan. But there was this one particular nasty Dr. Mario. It might have been me, but his damage output was around the same as little mac. It was crazy to see how much damage he was putting into me. The player also had really good mind games, but now I really want to play DR. Mario Mains.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
There are times when I feel bad for dominating random opponents in For Glory with Shulk, but then I just tell myself that it's practice anyway and I stop caring about my W:L ratio. Personally I just use it for practicing one of my mains to react to human AI until I wait for some of my friends (or maybe open up to message boards) to schedule some sm4sh online.

Also as a Mario player for the past 3 Smash games I think he can have some potential in this game. It's just that I'm too busy with Shulk to realize XD

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

mario can easily sheild grab from nairs.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
There are times when I feel bad for dominating random opponents in For Glory with Shulk, but then I just tell myself that it's practice anyway and I stop caring about my W:L ratio. Personally I just use it for practicing one of my mains to react to human AI until I wait for some of my friends (or maybe open up to message boards) to schedule some sm4sh online.

Also as a Mario player for the past 3 Smash games I think he can have some potential in this game. It's just that I'm too busy with Shulk to realize XD
Man i was almost you i played shulk and i see hes a beast i was going to min him but i cant ditch the plumber i want to prove mario is a force to be reckon with this time around

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
I'm being realistic. His reward isn't outstanding, and his neutral game is mediocre, and his negative state is considerably below average. Bottom 5 character.
Damn A2Z, you must have had a lot of bad matches while you were practicing your Mario. I mean you're right on a lot of points but ouch man, you really know how to shut the morale down :l

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Damn A2Z, you must have had a lot of bad matches while you were practicing your Mario. I mean you're right on a lot of points but ouch man, you really know how to shut the morale down :l
I haven't played a single game of Smash 4. Take that as you will. You can argue that maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe somehow, I'm missing something after all the hours I've spent searching for Mario footage, videos where I've seen Mario players going for D-throw combos that just simply don't work, get gimped more than other characters because Mario's recovery is still completely awful without his midair jump and especially when you don't have cape stalling to juke edgeguards, and struggles to get KOs more than most characters when none of his aerials are good for KOing and when his U-smash and D-smash are still not extremely powerful.

What I find more annoying are people, including PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS who have made claims that Mario is somehow magically better in this game without providing detailed information or extensive testing to prove it. I despise misleading information. I was by all means excited to hear about an iteration of Mario that finally was good. And then all the observations I've observed is that Mario was nerfed far more than he was buffed, and that his buffs didn't seriously address any of the problems he had.

How do you think I feel, having to learn for myself by sifting past misinformation without having direct access to the game that my favorite character is almost certainly bottom 5?

Worth noting that it's not ALL bad for Mario. There's no Brawl/Melee top tier in this game as far as we have seen. Finally, Mario does have great custom moves including Gust Cape and Explosive Jump Punch, which actually do address important weaknesses. Still, I'm disappointed that a better job wasn't done balancing Mario's normal moves.

Last edited:

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played a single game of Smash 4. Take that as you will. You can argue that maybe...(cont)
I see what you're saying man. Well, if it was any other person I'd probably say you don't know what you're talking about, but knowing what you've done in the community I doubt that. Yeah you're right, Mario did get some buffs I like, personally I like his dtilt and dthrow now. But he also lost a lot of abilities with his cape, its more like melee now. Pretty much what you just said. But Mario isn't that bad imo, he still has some options. If he is bottom 5, its probably just barely. Anyway, I just responded that way because it almost seemed like you were angry that someone said Mario is good, you know.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I should clarify, being bottom/low tier in this game is nowhere nearly the same as it was in Melee or Brawl. The balancing efforts from Namco are pretty evident overall.

And again, I really dislike misinformation.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I should clarify, being bottom/low tier in this game is nowhere nearly the same as it was in Melee or Brawl. The balancing efforts from Namco are pretty evident overall.

And again, I really dislike misinformation.
No...no, dude. You made some very solid points. I don't think he's bottom 5, but if you said bottom 10, I'd probably have agreed from the start.

Unlike Palutena, who has many good finishers and no good ways to get there, Mario has many good routes, but no good finisher, which is bad, because speed and efficiency is extremely important in any Smash game. If you're on your A-game all day, it might be harder to notice, but when I get in very tough matches, if I get hit by a good play early, I can't count on dreams being real like I can with other chars. Usually I just get bopped. Luckily he isn't my main.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
GL getting pictures. But it sounds about right. Every now an then I go up against someone who has it together. For glory has a bunch of nubs.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Mario is far from the best but he's also far from the worst. Absolutely....middling. That's the best way of describing him. From my experience playing with him he lacks kill options but has ways to stack percents decently albeit with nerfed damage(if he had Brawl tier damage he'd be better), but he's not amazing. He's good, not horrible, not terrible. Not great, not exceptional, but good.

N-TG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2895-6748-7989
I mained mario in almost all the Smash games. He has a nice feeling in this game too, he can combo pretty good too. As mentioned previously my only issue is Fludd... it's really situational and I still haven't found a good moment to use it, I find it practically useless. They should've changed it in this game. Is any of the custom moves better?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
A2Z!!!!

Mario is not bad character in this game! HE is to fast and packs a fair amount of power, as mentioned before his dthrow is much better has more follow up options (and stuff) And-and he is one of the best edge gaurders.

I would say more but im not good at putting post together like the rest of u. .. :(

He certianly aint top tier, but he wont be mid low or low or trash (and stuff).

(

And fludd! dont look for moments, I spam the **** out of it to mess up my opponants zoning and (wat ever the have planned and stuff.) It pushes, use it to get them off stage (and more i cant explain)

Mario vs Mac

90-10

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I kinda feel the same when I use Ness against a try hard. I go chain throwing - Fair and smash 'em with a Bair. I got a lot of disconnects... from them. Mario's do give me trouble. The cape is god to my recovery... and my PK Fire... and the Fireballs suck.

Last edited:

younggunzgst

Smash Rookie
I agree with what a lot of people are saying here. Finishing people off is tough. I can get them to high percentage but getting that kill takes time. I've been using up and down smash as my kill moves since they come out faster. Forward smashes require a more solid read (coming out of a roll, missed attack, etc). Other than that, Mario feels the most natural to me in this game and I'll be sticking with him since I got a pocket sheik

BlackBatman21

Smash Rookie
Because he is way too good. I'm not bragging, I really do feel guilty. To make things fair, I would usually choose another character I'm average with, like DK or Megaman. I would hold out on Mario until I think I've finally met a person of my skill level. Once I think I have found that person, I would pick Mario.... and then I would dominate him much to my dismay...

I believe my Mario is the inner demon that I must control, because once he's unleashed, he can not be stopped. I rarely ever get to pick him in For Glory because I really want to give everyone a fair chance at winning.

I know this shouldn't be too much of a concern and I should just play Mario, but what fun is there on winning all the time? I usually use For Glory to improve on characters I'm not so good at. Sure I'll end up getting more losses than wins online when it should be the other way around, but what matters is that I learn more about the characters I'm not used to by practicing with them online.

Does anyone feel the same way with their mains, or am I just being too sensitive and modest?

I do the same for the same reasons. I'll play with different characters just so I can get a feel for them. But when I come across strong players I bring out the ZSS on em.

negativepenalty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-3464-4243
I main peach and I have to say the Mario match up feels super obnoxious. It feels to me like he can just push buttons whenever he wants and I just have to deal. I tried different ways of approaching but with how cheap rolling is in this game and Mario's fast normals as well as smashes i just can't seem to get in on him. Doesn't help that every Mario I fight also has terrible lag, every one of them...

SmokeOut

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2406-5837-9935
Mario is still my favorite, even coming from PM, where he felt absolutely incredible, he still feels good. I've enjoyed him in all games and even though pm mario blows the others away he still feels solid and I'll continue maining him as I always have. :)

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Anybody who thinks Mario is bad has obviously never played against a good one. His smash attacks are all extremely quick, and his up smash even has invincibility frames now. If you can't KO somebody at around 100%, then you're using Mario incorrectly.

Top Bottom