• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't understand the flames against Yoshi?

Lafen

Smash Cadet
I have been playing brawl for a little over a week now. I have also been playing this one guy I know online. We were pretty much even across the board untill one day he switched to Olimar. My Pit (main) could not handle him at all. I tried everything. Then I decided to use Yoshi (my second main) and I completely destroyed him. He then was forced to switch to Sonic, Marth, and J-Puff. All of them were destroyed by Yoshi's new priority and ability to withstand hits and actually get himself right into the center of a brawl. I really think people keep looking at what he's missing from melee and not what he actually gained. He really is quite good. My friend isn't a push over either. OPEN your eyes people! THis is brawl! Not melee! Yoshi is different yes, but I think hes had a big upgrade.

Oh and i'll put up some videos of my Yoshi when I can.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
You're preaching to the choir, Lafen, we all know the power of our little dragonsaur. They'll just be that more surprised when there is Yoshi's in the top of the Brawl tournaments. :D

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It's because he wasn't top tier in Melee.

Therefore, the tier lovers are the dumb enough to thinh that he won't be top tier in this game.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It's because he wasn't top tier in Melee.

Therefore, the tier lovers are the dumb enough to thinh that he won't be top tier in this game.
I agree.

People mostly pick the same characters that's good in the tier. Which means that you'll see the same charcter all to time. Tier's suck to me.

invertedkaos

Smash Cadet
It's probably better to simply choose the character that best fits your playstyle anywho.

Theres simply no "win" buttons for yoshi. The only win button I can ever thing of was his down special in the original. It really was broken. Thats why in Melee they added the slight pause of vulnerability after you used it.

I have yet to play brawl, but in in the last two games Yoshi has never been the power saw of the game. Hes a cleaned efficient tool box with a wide variety of simple devices to accomplish the same job.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing brawl for a little over a week now. I have also been playing this one guy I know online. We were pretty much even across the board untill one day he switched to Olimar. My Pit (main) could not handle him at all. I tried everything. Then I decided to use Yoshi (my second main) and I completely destroyed him. He then was forced to switch to Sonic, Marth, and J-Puff. All of them were destroyed by Yoshi's new priority and ability to withstand hits and actually get himself right into the center of a brawl. I really think people keep looking at what he's missing from melee and not what he actually gained. He really is quite good. My friend isn't a push over either. OPEN your eyes people! THis is brawl! Not melee! Yoshi is different yes, but I think hes had a big upgrade.

Oh and i'll put up some videos of my Yoshi when I can.
You need to put this in the General Brawl Discussion. People need to read this.

lol jk. Yea, nobody understands this. They'll just have to see Yoshi in action. :)

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Eh, this needs needs NEEDS to be noticed, but this thread would get flamed by random spammers who don't know at all Yoshi's potential.

But you see this here avatar? It's Yoshi pretty much saying "I'm gonna beat you up, haters. The 9th is your final day here."

Yeah, they'll all see.

Tanea

Smash Ace
oh did it get moved didn't noticd oops my bad ......anyway i agree but just wait when brawl gets out we will have the upper then we can just shoe everyonr what yoshi can reallly do:):):)::)

Shyningfade

Smash Rookie
Indeed. I've been using Yoshi a lot later, and he's MUCH better than he was in Melee. Granted, when I was playing Melee, I never bothered with his djc or anything fancy like that. Thankfully, Brawl is letting us focus on basics - which Yoshi excels at. We should start a religion worshiping Yoshi's uair. Me lurves it.

Sharky

Smash Master
I know I'm not a mod or anything, but don't we already have a couple threads that dwell on this topic? =P

ConeZone

Smash Ace
thats good, because yoshi is a great character in melee at least, my friends never used him, but i liked his DB the best, very effective move..

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I think its mainly because people are afraid of Yoshi's playing style. He is a very unique character in melee and brawl. 90% of the people that flame him don't even have brawl, and everyone agrees with them, just so they look superior, and they don't get flammed. I don't even have brawl, but I do know that Yoshi has improved since then. I think that he got all the buffs in all of the right places. Also, tiers can go to hell, I don't even care about people flamming bottom tiers anymore, they will just see how sh**** Yoshi is when I whoop their *** on the battlefield.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
yea, i'd just stick with vids for now, its hard to believe what people are saying about him now, because i don't think people are spending any time with him. most people play him for a match and give up but thats not how yoshi works. it really does take a long time to get good with him.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
its hard to believe what people are saying about him now, because i don't think people are spending any time with him. most people play him for a match and give up but thats not how yoshi works. it really does take a long time to get good with him.
I think there's more truth to that then you think. :)

-Q-

Smash Cadet
yea I was a samus player in melee, but I've used Yoshi is almost every other mario game(SSB64, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Parties). Im really hoping that Yoshi in Brawl is better compared to the melee version. He's My favortie!

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
Hey guys, go to the Offiacial tier discussion thread. Ive gotten more people to thinking that Yoshi doesn't suck. I've almost gotten them converted, but I need backup!

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you've got your dinosaur in my Dragon!
No, you've got your Dragon in my Dinosaur!

...Hey, this isn't too bad! I think I'll call it Yoshi!

*announcer*
Yoshi! The power of two fantastical creatures in one efficient machine of destruction.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, go to the Offiacial tier discussion thread. Ive gotten more people to thinking that Yoshi doesn't suck. I've almost gotten them converted, but I need backup!
Honestly, the less Yoshi players the better.... to an extent. I'd rather there be a few Yoshi players that are knowledgeable about the character than a whole bunch of people playing him because he is a good fighter. Additionally, the less Yoshi players that are out there, the less likely other people will have experience fighting him.

I'm not against people using Yoshi, but I see no need to convince them to play Yoshi. If they choose to, good for them; if they aren't considering it, let the Yoshi player be all the more rare.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
I also like that there is less yoshi players, but I don't like people thinking that he stinks, and flamming the living daylights outta him:(.
Yeah, I gave those people on the tier list a piece of my mind. Told them it's not the character that sucks, but the player that sucks using the character. And that they should stop whing about the flaws, come over here and see the improvments. Watch how everyone skips it. :p

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I gave those people on the tier list a piece of my mind. Told them it's not the character that sucks, but the player that sucks using the character. And that they should stop whing about the flaws, come over here and see the improvments. Watch how everyone skips it. :p
Nice. Your optimism is awesome.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
people hate him because sakurai never made him at best, a mid tier character

Chepe

Smash Lord
His play style is just seen as awkward to a bunch of people. Seriously, seasoned players who pick up Yoshi randomly wont be able to adjust in just a few matches...

-Q-

Smash Cadet
i noticed that the floatiness of brawl really helps Yoshi edgeguard well. He can jump really far out, and down, and still be able to comeback. Dairs all day baby!

Top Bottom