• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't mind being wrong...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Well well well. Despite all of my predictions, Nintendo actually <em>did</em> show off <em>Super Smash Brothers: Brawl</em> for the press Wednesday evening. It consisted of only a trailer, but that trailer contained a wealth of information. First, here’s what we know about the title from interviews with those involved:

— The game will (or at least can) be played with the Gamecube controller for a classic control setup. Masashiro Sakurai, the director of the game, said that trying to add tilt functionality didn’t do anything but confuse the gameplay.
— According to Sakura, the “plan” is to have the game be on the Nintendo Wi-Fi network. He said one of the primary reasons that Brawl was created was so that Nintendo could have the game be online.
— The game will not be released this year. As suspected, it has been delayed into 2007.

Now, for the trailer. What have we learned from the trailer? Tons:

— The character models look absolutely gorgeous. The characters are shown from Melee, and then upgrading to their Brawl counterparts. Mario, Link, and Pikachu look absolutely amazing on the Wii. Link has also updated to his Twilight Princess look, with the chainmail underneath his tunic. Kirby looks largely unchanged. :p
— Two stages are shown almost immediately. One has the same setup as Kirby 64 or Battlefield from Melee, with a lower platform, two more floating on the sides, and one more platform higher up in the middle. The other stage looks to be an updated Peach’s Castle, although that may not be the case. The level looks more medieval, and might be Bowser’s castle. It is missing the stained glass window of Peach on the front, for starters. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
— There is an item that brings a Nintendog in front of the screen to block the action.
— There is an item that looks like a small floating coin with the Smash Brothers logo on it. When you grab it, your character glows with fire and you can perform a super move. When Mario grabbed it, he performed a screen-filling fireball attack. Link was able to combo Mario a bunch of times, with Triforces framing the action. And when Kirby was on fire, he donned the Chef Kawasaki hat and was able to cook Mario in a pot.
— For those who are afraid that these super moves will break the game, don’t be. Since they seem to be activated by an item, turning the item off should make these moves unusable.
— Newcomer - Metaknight! That’s right, Kirby’s enemy makes it to the Smash arena. He looks great, and has both a ground combo with his sword and an air combo.
— Newcomer - Pit! The angel from <em>Kid Icarus</em> makes his entrance by shooting a glowing arrow at Metaknight. He’s been updated a lot from his trophy in Smash Melee. Not only does he have his bow, but the top and bottom halves of the bow can break apart to become two blades.
— Having wings, both Metaknight and Pit can stay in the air for a time seeming to rival Kirby’s or Jigglypuff’s.
— Newcomer - Zero Suit Samus! It’s Samus without her armor, with some kind of strange weapon in her right hand. At first, it looks kind of like if a lightsaber came out of a gun handle, but after watching again, the lightsaber portion actually looks kind of bendy, so the weapon may be more whip-like.
— Newcomer - Wario! He rides in on a motorcycle in his Warioware uniform, and blows all the other characters away (literally) with a huge fart move. :p
— Newcomer - Solid Snake! I know, I didn’t believe it at first either. But this has huge implications as for other characters. Now that the third-party barrier has been broken, this opens the door for other characters such as Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega) or Megaman (Capcom). When asked, Shigeru Miyamoto said that they were in talks with other companies about using other third party characters, but wouldn’t say which ones.

Woo. So, I was completely wrong in my last entry. That’s perfectly fine with me! The delay to 2007 is disappointing, but at least now we know where our favorite series stands.

If you haven’t already, do yourself a favor and go watch the trailer for yourself. Wii!!! :)

L

linkdarkside

wend do you guys plan to make a Super Smash Brothers: Brawl site like the ordel ones?

J

J

The castle is from Fire Emblem. When closely inspected, you can see the Daein Crest on the flags.

T

tokyobassist

I think that the first that should be done with Brawl before adding in anymore new characters outside the announced ones is to give all the existing clone characters from Melee their own move set.

N

Nitro Nut

I can almost smell the Banjo Kazooie, Viewtiful Joe, and Dante! :)

F

F8X

Can’t wait, But I think we can all agree that ..

I don’t wanna wait :(

Q

Quinny

Is it just me or did the blog mention about delaying till 2007? If so, PMGXST. Don’t think I can wait that long.

T

the kid

Im not really hating on 3rd party characters or anything, and im really excited about this news and all, but dont you think this is selling out to other companies. i mean, when’s the last time you saw a brand new non port version of metal gear solid for the gamecube, yet nintendo lets these companies walk in one of their greatest games that acknowledge NINTENDO CHARACTERS from the getgo..they might as well release smash for all systems including the ps3, psp, and the 360.

T

Turbo852

Well, Snake (Metal Gear) started out on the NES, so I think he should be more than welcome.

I’d love to see Megaman and Zero. They’ve had numerous games on Nintendo systems.

Earthworm Jim also had a couple games on the SNES. He would be a fun character.

I think they should let you get Master Hand as a secret character.

They should also at least put Diddy (Donkey Kong Country, DKC2, DK64, etc.) in the game.

I’d also like to see Toad (on his own, not with Peach) and a koopatroop ( not as a shell) join in.

A

anonymous

actually, Snake did not start out on the NES, he actually started out simply on computers. The NES games were ports of those. Check Wikipedia.

M

Mariorlando

I want a lot of mushroom kingdom characters there.like Shy Guy and Bowser Jr. and also you need Mecha Bowser, I,m begging you!

D

Dark Link

and his attack weapon could be the paint brush that he used in Super Mario Sunshine it can be used as a stick weapon

S

Shadow Mario

you must put Spyro the Dragon in the game I like him I like it when he burns the characters with his flame he was in some gamecube games too

S

Shadow Mario

what about waluigi aren’t you going to put him in the game too?

M

me

I WANNA KNOW IF THEY’LL PUT IN ROY AND MARTH!!!!WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

S

Shadow Mario

I don’t care whos in the game as long as mario and shadow mario are in the game I am fine it would be cool to see mario and shadow mario battle each other don’t you agree, and shadow mario could use his paint brush as a stick and he could use paintbrush to paint the stages like M and the goop just like in the super mario sunshine game. oh and it would make sence to make Shadow Mario a secret character and I think you should sperate both bowser jr and shadow mario make them sperate characters and don’t make bowser jr a secret character

S

Shadow Mario

They should also make a shadow mario stage and a shadow mario theme song the the one I want is the one form super mario sunshine the one when you enter the level and see shadow mario in th a level and it plays that music when you are close to him thats the one I want to be his theme song

S

Shadow Mario

or if you could think of a better than theme song than that one I might like that will work too I guess

T

The Mario fan Boy

I hope they put in Paratroopa and Koopatroopa they were awesome in Mario Kart Double Dash!! They should also put Daisy (as her own self this time!) And Roy and Marth.

T

The_Beast89

I don’t want 2 wait either, but their r positive things about the delay, one, Nintendo can add more char’s and stages, also making the game longer and better. So I’m willing 2 wait if they use the time 2 make SSBB better yay!!!

T

The_Beast89

also, they better leave shiek’s moves and leave them the way they r (except that chain whip :p)

S

Shadow

I changed my mind about bowser jr and shadow mario beging both sperate characters they should make bowser jr transform into shadow mario and make them both have the the paint brush

D

DARK

I hope petey prinha is in the game too he is from super mario sunshine

D

DARK

king boo and rgular boo too I hope they are in the game too aspecialy king boo they are both from lugi’s mangue

D

DARK

did I mention that both bowser jr and shadow mario are both from super mario sunshine?

O

oscar

I agree with shadow mario spyro should be in the game he would do great come on Sakurai just put him in

S

Shadow Mario

spyro has some nintendo gameube games too so he should be in the game

S

Shadow Mario

crash bandott has a few nintendo gamecube games as well and besides have you always wondered who would win syyro or crash I would be a good match don’t you think?

Top Bottom