• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't agree with customs at evo, and here's why..

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
My biggest fear is that I will get use to a custom set, only to have other people not using it as much. then before I know it, I have to change my play style because my set is no longer one of the starting custom sets.

This could be a big problem down the road. I know a lot of people will want different sets for their main. However, after evo you won't be able to remove a set of customs from AA's project without screwing people over...

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
My biggest fear is that I will get use to a custom set, only to have other people not using it as much. then before I know it, I have to change my play style because my set is no longer one of the starting custom sets.

This could be a big problem down the road. I know a lot of people will want different sets for their main. However, after evo you won't be able to remove a set of customs from AA's project without screwing people over...
That is a viable concern. Our plan to address this is to, just like last time, organize the custom sets in order of how essential they are to each character(we'll base this on how each character's discussion turns out). In this way, smaller tournaments not at the scale of EVO can still allow imports where players can delete, say, the last two sets of a character to make room.

Even after this whole project is said and done, I believe that on-site imports with 3DS should always be allowed in tournament(maybe not national/international scale in the event of time constraints), but the point is to reduce the amount of times an import is going to be needed by a significant amount.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Default 1111 is always an option no matter what sets are used.
Yeah realized that soon after I finished posting, haha.

Also I feel that custom tournaments WOULD be able to have enough time for uploading custom sets off 3ds, if some other stuff was sped up, like making one strike list rather than having counterpicks, and removing coaching from being a thing. Maybe?

T0MMY

Smash Master
You do understand we'd have had to do this eventually regardless, right?
It's fine when it is introduced at regionals like they always have been. I'm pointing at how it's not going to be my kind of thing to get janked by this stuff right off the start instead of having a clean vanilla start the way it naturally would have gone if it weren't for this absurd now-or-never movement. Like I said before, if Customs was really all the vocal proponents are amping it up to be then it would be introduced into competition naturally the way any ruling is. I think it's bizarre to expect to be "above the law" to competition the same way other movements went about failing like the Meta Knight ban and even Items being re-introduced went about.
That kind of stuff really wrecked Brawl's competitive image and I'm wondering why people are still willing to take these kinds of risks when everyone can be ok with a middleground towards development.

I understand your frustration, but to deny these issues were unavoidable no matter when customs were implemented is what's actually asinine.
You clearly are not understanding me if you think I am frustrated. I am simply jumping ship on this whole Custom Movement that I was starting to accept. Rethink again what you thought was actually asinine, because I still think risking so much and throwing caution to the wind is very much so, whether it works out in the end or not the means do not justify the ends.

What I think you're actually upset about is how it's replaced default, not these issues, and I agree.
Then what you think I think is simply wrong.
I have no qualms with "replacing" a default ruling. I support changes to those quite often, but never in such reckless abandon as the Custom Movement is doing.

I'd have preferred customs became a side or co-tournament, perhaps even replacing doubles. It would still be a national event people would want to prepare for, and due to the logistics of it (not needing a specific partner to practice for) it could still deliver the test meta we desired without alienating other players.
Well, if you put it that way then that's different. I do support a side event of it (not replacing Doubles though, lol!)

But the fact is, it was still the best place and time to implement them.
How can an opinion about it being the "best" be a "fact"?
Fact is opinions are opinions and they can't be right or wrong, they're just built off previous experience and current motives.

The majority of players everywhere want customs, according to polls both for EVO and Xanadu. I don't now why EVO players would be so different.
I suspect those are actually "general" polls where anyone online who cares to vote will do so, not actual opinion of those who are planning on attending Evo.
The value of a complete newb who thinks he can win his local 6-man bracket if he could use his pink Greninja's exploding substitute might be more questionable than the value of a competitive player who is actually attending. Chances are there are a lot more newbs/scrubs/randoms/etc. not attending Evo who are voting than the actual players.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
@ T0MMY T0MMY

You know what else should have been a slow, paced, change from the default? Desegregation.

(I know you like you're history examples). :p

Obviously not a perfect parallel. But we really can't be so fearful and worried of change. It'll be a little bumpy to start, but in the end it's a change for the better. And changes for the better should be done immediately. And while I understand the hesitation when dealing with such a large and public platform for Smash... it honestly is not that big a deal. No one is gonna get stabbed and die on their way to school.

We should take tournaments as absolutely as serious as possible. But we also can't hold that back from playing the best game possible - which automatic defaults is definitely not.

What exactly are the fears here? What are the worst case scenarios?
  • the tournament runs past time
  • certain customs are exploited resulting in embarrassing results for the game
If those are the possible cons... weighed against the pros of:
  • the game is drastically more balanced
  • the game quadruples in matchup possibilities and is much more fun to watch
  • 4+ whole characters essentially become viable
These things might happen. Yes there's risk. But what is that risk really? 20% chance the worst cases happens? Haven't there been custom tournaments that have shown none of the fears to be real?

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Well, the best way to convince the link boards that your set is good would be to post videos of you using your set. If he's a good link player as he says then it wouldn't be difficult to have people consider your set viable, if you have the ability to prove it. Also, this will be good because over time this will be come part of the competitive smash 4 scene where players will take sets that have been previously thought to be bad and challenge the stat quo.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well, the best way to convince the link boards that your set is good would be to post videos of you using your set. If he's a good link player as he says then it wouldn't be difficult to have people consider your set viable, if you have the ability to prove it. Also, this will be good because over time this will be come part of the competitive smash 4 scene where players will take sets that have been previously thought to be bad and challenge the stat quo.
Which is always fun to see.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
Also, if someone tries to sneak in negative equipment I would actually consider that grounds for blacklisting, honestly, not just DQ. Trying to be sneaky like that is also hindered by the fact that there are ways to determine where a custom set came from(if imported).
Agreed. Such nonsense has no place in our community.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
@ deepseadiva deepseadiva

You can't use the argument "the game is more balanced with customs" because we simply don't know that for sure.
With customs just begining to become legal, and there is already 3 of them in question to be banned... To me it looks like this game will be less balanced with customs.

NNID
Budget_Player
And your solution to this is... Remove all sets? So basically ensure that not only will your custom set never see play, but no other custom set ever will either? Seems like a bit of a silly solution, really, because it does literally nothing to solve the problem and just makes everything worse.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

You can't use the argument "the game is more balanced with customs" because we simply don't know that for sure.
With customs just begining to become legal, and there is already 3 of them in question to be banned... To me it looks like this game will be less balanced with customs.
Either the game has better or worse balance with customs, and I think it's much more likely it will be better.

What are the three "controversial" customs you're referring to? Mii Brawler's Piston Punch (negligible), Olimar's Order Tackle (needs banning in doubles yes, negligible in singles) I know, but there was something else? Kong Kopter......? >_>

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm not familiar with the third custom that supposedly needs to be banned, even then the first two are debatable.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7

Also, which 3? I only know of 1 that potentially warrants a ban, and that's basically doubles-only.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Darn tooting. I'm still waiting for someone to show proof of peach heavy veggie being good
Peach is one of my secondaries, and I actually feel bad for not knowing any of her customs. Are any of them fun?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
With customs just begining to become legal, and there is already 3 of them in question to be banned...
On the contrary I think said customs are considered being banned because they haven't learned how to beat it. As time progresses these moves will not be banned because of how they can be countered.

At the very least, I know Piston Punch has its counters, there's a reason nobody uses it anymore.

Last edited:

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Peach is one of my secondaries, and I actually feel bad for not knowing any of her customs. Are any of them fun?
Light Turnip is the bee knees. Btw go in the peach forum and join the skype chat.

T0MMY

Smash Master
@ T0MMY T0MMY

You know what else should have been a slow, paced, change from the default? Desegregation.

(I know you like you're history examples). :p
Haha, you are good at picking up on things.
Although an even etter example would have been abolition. There was a much better solution than to divide the States into two and have a bloody battle over it. Same thing is happening now, which is why I am jumping ship on the movement. No way am I going to be a part of Lincoln's battle, lol, that tyrant.

What exactly are the fears here? What are the worst case scenarios?
If those are the possible cons... weighed against the pros of:
That is a terrible way of looking at things. You could have flipped the two around and it would have made about as much sense because it's all just subjective. When all is said and done there will be dominant customs and dominant characters, this doesn't just *might* happen, this is what hapens ine very game. Customs is not a panacea that the Custom Movement wishes in their hearts it will be.

But what is that risk really? 20% chance the worst cases happens?
I'd like to see where you got the math on that one. But my instincts tell me its the same place that the "worst case/best case scenario" came from.
Thanks for trying to smooth it over for me, but the Custom Movement lost me. I'm hoping Evo will drop it (unlikely considering they ran Items which contributed to ruining Brawl's image) or it just works out OK and nothing will really happen from it.
Either way, I'm out and will probably end up going to Evo anyway and not enjoying it as much since I'll be busy trying to unlock customs to practice for the forthcoming jank X^D

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I mean, trust me, I understand the hesitation over making a change "too early".

But I just don't believe in coddling part of a player base because they accepted their game's true ruleset so late.

Mr. Mistersen

Smash Rookie
I feel like most of the hate on customs is the fear of losing to something that is going to require more time to know.

Im kinda curious how the the Mortal kombat X players are preparing for the similar options for their game releasing in april.

For those that dont know in MKX each character has three different options that can change the characters drastically.

Yes smash customs have more options to deal with but they also dont have much time to adapt to the differences.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
That's not even to say anything about Tekken 7, which will be played on arcade machines. EVO will literally be the first time that the vast majority of the competitors even touch the game.

USF4 will be played on PS4. The PS4 version of that game isn't out yet. Nobody knows whether the port will be exactly like the 360 version gameplay-wise or not.

SF4 has received major balance updates right before past EVOs as well.

"Not enough time" just isn't a good reason.

Mr. Mistersen

Smash Rookie
That's not even to say anything about Tekken 7, which will be played on arcade machines. EVO will literally be the first time that the vast majority of the competitors even touch the game.

USF4 will be played on PS4. The PS4 version of that game isn't out yet. Nobody knows whether the port will be exactly like the 360 version gameplay-wise or not.

SF4 has received major balance updates right before past EVOs as well.

"Not enough time" just isn't a good reason.
And I haven't actually counted out the days but I think there is more time before EVO than there is time since the US 3DS release.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Here's the thing, there is a limit to how long we can wait to push for customs moves. Rulesets at majors have a lot of wight behind them and will heavily influence the rulesets of regionals. The longer a ruleset is in place the harder it becomes to convince enough people that it should be changed, more so with a radical change like custom moves then something like stock count.

Maybe EVO 2015 isn't the best time, but when would be the best time? If we wait until Apex 2016 the defaults only rules becomes more entrenched and the longer we wait the harder change becomes.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Evo is in July.

@ T0MMY T0MMY I agree with you in regards to the "customs should be eased into through regionals" mindset, so since we have six months... let's do it. Evo is not a testing ground. We have 6 months (from now, ignoring ALL the testing that has been done in the past) to ease into, get used to and test the competitive value of customs.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

It is a mathematical fact that the game will be better balanced with customs. If each character has 3 chances each to have a good special, it is mathematically certain that overall viability will rise. This is beyond debate, excepting a custom single handedly bringing someone to brawl meta knight tier(Not gonna happen), there is no way they won't improve game balance.
In response to your 3 customs to be banned:
Piston Punch is not used by most Mii Brawler mains. They know about One-Inch Punch, but have decided that Helicopter Kick is still more worthwhile. No reason to ban.
Order Tackle would definitely be banned in doubles, but it is highly debatable as to whether it is ban-worthy in singles.
I can't think of a third custom for which their is serious discussion of banning.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
It's fine when it is introduced at regionals like they always have been. I'm pointing at how it's not going to be my kind of thing to get janked by this stuff right off the start instead of having a clean vanilla start the way it naturally would have gone if it weren't for this absurd now-or-never movement. Like I said before, if Customs was really all the vocal proponents are amping it up to be then it would be introduced into competition naturally the way any ruling is. I think it's bizarre to expect to be "above the law" to competition the same way other movements went about failing like the Meta Knight ban and even Items being re-introduced went about.
That kind of stuff really wrecked Brawl's competitive image and I'm wondering why people are still willing to take these kinds of risks when everyone can be ok with a middleground towards development.
Again though, the major factors for the reasons the MK ban failed was how slowly and incrementally they tried for it. This is likely why many players feel it is "now or never" because they understand how quickly players get entrenched into playing a certain ruleset and don't want to change.

The MK ban talk started in 2010, only even beginning to come to fruition in 2012.

Personally though, I think it's less "now or never" and more "Why wait?"

EVO not having customs would ensure another half year of people practicing for nothing but default competitively en masse. Other events are planned ahead too, by the way. So unless there's still the massive outcry and buzz of a new game around, a lot of it about this thing called "customs" it's very likely other events would just skip customs too.

Please, tell me exactly what waiting would solve. Exactly why should there be this big push to wait?

You keep giving these vague "I thinks" and "I feel" but I don't give a damn about your feels. I want facts, I want objective reasoning, I want you to give actual tangible points.

A pro/con list for both waiting and what's happening now with EVO from you would aid me greatly.

Well, if you put it that way then that's different. I do support a side event of it (not replacing Doubles though, lol!)
It has to replace something in most likelihoods, I'd imagine. And doubles, while entirely valid and fun, are not by any means as played as either default or customs would be. I personally find it to be the best compromise, of course not needing to cut anything would be ideal.

How can an opinion about it being the "best" be a "fact"?
Fact is opinions are opinions and they can't be right or wrong, they're just built off previous experience and current motives.
When there are objective means to determine that opinion, it can be considered or at least submitted for review/discussion as a fact.

Facts such as:
Player stagnation and inclination towards familiarity over time being a powerful factor, especially in smash.
The fact that simply doing it later has absolutely no guarantee to solve your submitted issues

The fact is, EVO was the only foreseeable point we could even begin to make this happen. It very could have been "now or never." If it was or not, we'll likely never know. But to deny it'd get harder over time like you are is absurd.

I suspect those are actually "general" polls where anyone online who cares to vote will do so, not actual opinion of those who are planning on attending Evo.
The value of a complete newb who thinks he can win his local 6-man bracket if he could use his pink Greninja's exploding substitute might be more questionable than the value of a competitive player who is actually attending. Chances are there are a lot more newbs/scrubs/randoms/etc. not attending Evo who are voting than the actual players.
Incorrect, the Xanadu poll was for frequent Xanadu attendees only. Also, generally super casuals don't frequent tournament discussion I'd imagine.

Last edited:

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
The argument "I can't have my thing so no one should have theirs", isn't a good argument, because the set up in question accommodate more people. In general, if I were to tell somebody we shouldn't have options because we can't cover every single one, then I'd like to ask how the few invalidate the many? Its a self centered argument.

The secret argument I'd frequently hear from competitive players is that "the meta is still developing for default moves and that should be developed first", which really translates to "I don't want to learn how this changes the MU" or "My character doesn't have a single good custom, so keep it off", because in a winning mindset these are two real factors which reduce your ability to win. So this also translates into another self centered argument.

The only argument that I find holding any reason is time constraints (which gets taken care of via presets, aka covering more but not all options), or not unlocking necessary customs in smaller tourneys.

Is there another argument that I have glanced over?

Raijinken

Smash Master
The argument "I can't have my thing so no one should have theirs", isn't a good argument, because the set up in question accommodate more people. In general, if I were to tell somebody we shouldn't have options because we can't cover every single one, then I'd like to ask how the few invalidate the many? Its a self centered argument.

The secret argument I'd frequently hear from competitive players is that "the meta is still developing for default moves and that should be developed first", which really translates to "I don't want to learn how this changes the MU" or "My character doesn't have a single good custom, so keep it off", because in a winning mindset these are two real factors which reduce your ability to win. So this also translates into another self centered argument.

The only argument that I find holding any reason is time constraints (which gets taken care of via presets, aka covering more but not all options), or not unlocking necessary customs in smaller tourneys.

Is there another argument that I have glanced over?
All of the "For Glory can't use Miis or Customs" arguments, but FG is obviously irrelevant to actual competition anyway, so they're weak arguments even though we have to spend a lot of time shooting them down, too.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'd like to ask how the few invalidate the many? Its a self centered argument.
I would use your same argument against you. It's self-centered to exclude anyone.
Your argument isn't even being self-centered, it's an appeal to the masses - this is "herd mentality" or "mob rule" which invalidates valid arguments and disregards reasoning in favor of a brutish "might makes right".
I'll give you a great example of why this way of thinking is incorrect for us: Two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.
There is one more wolf than sheep therefore they ask how the few (sheep) invalidate the many (wolves) and that the sheep is simply just self-centered in arguing not to be visciously torn to pieces and consumed by the wolves.

In our case those competitors who are going to compete in EVO may be considered self-centered for not wanting Customs pushed on them by the wolves.

Let's stop talking in terms of mob rule.

Again though, the major factors for the reasons the MK ban failed was how slowly and incrementally they tried for it.
It wasn't incrementally at all, it was a sudden and unilateral sweeping rule dropped like a bomb on the front page of SWF and AiB.

Look at how you worded this:
The MK ban talk started in 2010, only even beginning to come to fruition in 2012.
"talk started" in 2010 & "come to fruition" in 2012.
Until there are concrete facts to show incremental steps we just got ourselves a pair of rose-tinted glasses like the rest of the Custom Movement wears.

That's not panacea, that's kool-aid!

Personally though, I think it's less "now or never" and more "Why wait?"
Probably haven't read much of the posts being made regarding this movement - or at least not without the rosy glasses.

Please, tell me exactly what waiting would solve.
The great divide.
Put Customs into tournaments as a side-event and if it's as good as the zealots claim then it'll come into its own without the schism. Additionally it will have worked through most all the potential bugs so it will give ease to the players who do not want get janked. And finally it doesn't (potentially) pose to make SSBU look like a scrubfest the way including Items did to Brawl which ultimately paints the core image of the game - going back to a pure Smash will carry the "not competitive" image along with it, but if seen as a much greatly improvement over Brawl then goes to Customs next year and this same sitation happens it will not matter because the competitive image is still there.

You keep giving these vague "I thinks" and "I feel" but I don't give a damn about your feels.
Strange, seeing as most everyone tells me I don't think with feelings and am very logical.
You may feel differently.
Unless you'd like to evidence this accusation I'll just chalk it up to projection and ignore it.

I want facts, I want objective reasoning, I want you to give actual reasoning.
I gave you some very practical reasons above, so I'll see if you respond reasonably nor not. If so than you will be able to see my concerns. If not then I'll stay off the Customs boat and wish you luck.

But, if you are being strictly reasonable then I'd reckon you would agree with the competitive reasoning that a game is played through by its default settings (as even the EVO rules start with) and any changes are adopted as they are verified in their formal way (this is how Stock came to be used vs Time, this is how Items were turned OFF, this is how everything has come into play naturally), so, reasonably, the burden of proof is on those of us who want to change the standard to Customs ON.
It really is not reasonable to shift Burden of Proof onto me to disprove the claim to deviate from the standard.
Do you agree to the reasonability of this?

Now, whoever it was that contacted the EVO staff should have taken great steps to get an OK from the competitors going to EVO and the competitive Smash Community before making any demands for these EVO competitors to change the rules.
Considering I didn't see any of this I have to strongly disagree with the MEANS behind the ends - and that is really why I am not supporting this movement, because it became a sham at that point in my years-long nation-wide competitive eyes.

A pro/con list for both waiting and what's happening now with EVO from you would aid be greatly
I don't think that kind of thing means squat.
The obvious facts were stated and this kind of issue isn't to lend itself to weighing pros and cons. That kind of attempt just leads to majority rules problems - with the majority of keyboard warriors being newbs/scrubs/randoms and the minority being veteran competitors I'd say that's about the worst way to go about it.

It has to replace something in most likelihoods, I'd imagine.
I noticed it was odd for someone to juxtapose reasoning and imagination.
Obviously pointing out how I am required to provide reasonable facts while the other side of the argument works with rosy imagination.

When are are objective means to determine that opinion, it can be considered a fact.
Pretty sure "objective means" is just rewording "rosy imagination" - until it is reasonably demonstrated to be a fact it won't be considered fact.

Player stagnation and inclination towards familiarity over time being a powerful factor, especially in smash.
The fact that simply doing it later has absolutely no guarantee to solve your submitted issues
I am hoping for the sake of conversation that you realize that statements are not facts. Facts are demonstrated to be real.
The statements you made are rather ambiguous at best and appeal to ignorance.

My concerns may be justified through past EVO issues (real case of Items used for Brawl at EVO), but the reality of the situation is I stand by a competitive standard and have been welcoming of rule changes (trust me, somewhat infamous for deviations in rules) but believe there's a proper way of doing this and the way the Custom Movement went about this with an "above-the-law" attitude "now-or-never" sinking ship scenario alienated me and anyone else who honors competitive values.
These are real events and real actions I am judging my opinions on and not fanciful statements. I would feel hypocritical staying with the Custom Movement just the same I abandoned the Meta Knight Ban movement due to their similar actions.

The fact is, EVO was the only foreseeable point we could even begin to make this happen. It very would could have been "now or never." If it was or not, we'll likely never know. But to deny it'd get harder over time like you are is absurd.
I disagree with your speculations and feel that the true reason it'd get more difficult over time is the negative mindset the entire movement seems to share with you. The "it will never happen unless we do something extreme right now!" mindset is the exact mentality that hut down MK ban and other failed movements.
Not saying this will doom customs to failure, but it certainly doesn't help and makes those of us who would be allies evacuate.
So, I just leave it as "good luck" like I did with the MK ban.

Incorrect, the Xanadu poll was for frequent Xanadu attendees only. Also, generally super casuals don't frequent tournament discussion I'd imagine.
There you go with your imagination again.
Maybe you'd like to put that aside and get the info of how many of those who voted are actually registered for EVO?
Facts are facts.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I might have to ask in all seriousness if you were born yesterday.
It wasn't incrementally at all, it was a sudden and unilateral sweeping rule dropped like a bomb on the front page of SWF and AiB.
Look at how you have to fudge the dates:

"talk started" in 2010 & "come to fruition" in 2012.
Bro, until you got some concrete facts to show incremental steps you just got yourself pair of rose tinted glasses like the rest of the Custom Movement.
That's not panacea, that's kool-aid!

Probably haven't read much of the posts being made regarding this movement - or at least not without the rosy glasses?
http://smashboards.com/threads/why-we-cant-wait-to-ban-metaknight.263082/

>July 2010

People had been saying he needed to be banned for ages. And the unity ruleset didn't enforce the ban until 2012. It wasn't sudden, either, the ban was announced but optional for about half a year.

The decision was made in september 2011 that in JANUARY 2012 MK would be banned. http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/30/smash-bros-brawl-unity-rulset-bans-metaknight/
The great divide.
Put Customs into tournaments as a side-event and if it's as good as the zealots claim then it'll come into its own without the schism. Additionally it will have worked through most all the potential bugs so it will give ease to the players who do not want get janked. And finally it doesn't (potentially) pose to make SSBU look like a scrubfest the way including Items did to Brawl which ultimately paints the core image of the game - going back to a pure Smash will carry the "not competitive" image along with it, but if seen as a much greatly improvement over Brawl then goes to Customs next year and this same sitation happens it will not matter because the competitive image is still there.
That's not waiting in any way, that's just making it a side tournament which doesn't demand any sort of waiting, and is exactly what I said should've been done and claimed the reason you found issue was because it wasn't, but you denied that.

I'm starting to feel like you're being just a bit difficult at this point.
But, if you are being strictly reasonable then I'd reckon you would agree with the competitive reasoning that a game is played through by its default settings (as EVO started with) and any changes are adopted as they are verified in their formal way. This is how Stock came to be used, this is how Items were turned off, this is how everything has come into play naturally... so reasonably the burden of proof is on those of us who want to change the standard to Customs ON.
It really is not reasonable to shift Burden of Proof onto me to disprove the claim to deviate from the standard.
Again, I never denied a side/co tournament was the best way.

I don't think that kind of thing means squat.
The obvious facts were stated and this kind of thing isn't to lend it self to weighing pros and cons.
That kind of attempt just leads to majority rules BS. And with the majority of keyboard warriors being newbs/scrubs/randoms and the minority being veteran competitors I'd say that's about the worst way to go about it.
If efficiently and succinctly laying out your perceived issues for others means squat, then it seems more likely you're looking to vent than actually discuss those issues.

But yes, this is exactly to lend itself to pros and cons, especially when considering logistics for TOs, competitive preparative ability of players, and the like.

I noticed it was odd for someone to juxtapose reasoning and imagination.
Obviously pointing out how I am required to provide reasonable facts while the other side of the argument works with rosy imagination.

Pretty sure "objective means" is just rewording "rosy imagination" until it is reasonably demonstrated to be a fact.
You're free to engage in these subtle jabs instead of addressing my actual points if you wish, but I should warn you they really do nothing but add malice and contempt to the already stressful environment of debate.

You do realize that statements are not facts. Facts are demonstrated to be real.
You mean like the fact smash community is proven to grow inclined towards certain rules, playstyles, and games? (melee, mk, 3-stock, etc)

And it is undoubtedly a fact that no one, least of all you, has provided a reason waiting will solve any of your perceived issues. The burden of proof remains on you to disprove that fact.

I disagree with your speculations and feel that the true reason it'd get more difficult over time is the negative mindset the entire movement seems to share with you. The "it will never happen unless we do something extreme right now!" mindset is the exact mentality that hut down MK ban and other failed movements.
Not saying this will doom customs to failure, but it certainly doesn't help and makes those of us who would be allies evacuate.
So, I just leave it as "good luck" like I did with the MK ban.
So could you answer directly, do you feel waiting would in no way make customs more difficult to implement?

Do you not believe the MK ban didn't take off due to large part MK being such a widely used character, and centric part of the meta that many players simply would not want to relearn years of the game and thus ignored MK-ban tourneys due to how familiar they became after time?

Also, speaking purely in regards to human psychology, it's far easier to get large groups of people to exact change within a small amount of time than elongated.

There you go with your imagination again.
Maybe you'd like to put that aside and get the info of how many of those who voted are actually registered for EVO?
Facts are facts.
You really must cease this appeal to semantics. Generally in that context "imagine" simply means "it find it logical to believe"

And as far as I know that poll was anonymous, though I'm sure you're aware of that. The Xanadu one was not, ergo it's the main one I will refer to about competitive feelings in regards to customs. (largely postive)

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
That's not waiting in any way
...?
Waiting until after EVO and introducing customs through the year until the next EVO isn't waiting?
Well... ok then, I've gone about as far as I can with the conversation if this contradiction stands in the way.
Logical deadend, backtracking...

I'm starting to feel like you're being just a bit difficult at this point.
Sorry, but I can't be much more clear than plain english.
Ad hominems will be pointed out and subsequently ignored until rephrased so as not to be a fallacy to help strengthen the argument.

Again, I never denied a side/co tournament was the best way.
Here ya go, I'll quote you:
But the fact is, it was still the best place and time to implement them. Every issue you brought up would still be one a year, two years from now... The only time-sensitive issue is how.
So it seems to be conflicting to say the best place/time is EVO and the best way to introduce is side events throughout the year and introduce the new rules after everything has been settled.

Backtracking...

If efficiently and succinctly laying out your perceived issues for others means squat, then it seems more likely you're looking to vent than actually discuss those issues.
Read it again, nothing was said of succinct perceived issues.
I am saying weighing pro's cons's means squat next to sold reasoning (which, ironically, you asked me for reasoning).
I gave you the reasoning, as requested, and I am denying the pro/con request due to it being nature of opinion. That's best left to those who appeal to the masses through rhetoric, feelings, and imaginings. Not my cup o' tea, sorry.

But yes, this is exactly to lend itself to pros and cons, especially when considering logistics for TOs, competitive preparative ability of players, and the like.
Have fun with that then - when I'm that point where I am preparing logistics for the TO's I might consider it. But the reality of the situation is you are communicating with me who doesn't work with that kind of process (despite being accused of it - projection?).
I am stating I jumped ship on the movement and won't be supporting it for obvious reasons (as stated), so if your goal is to sway my stance it's not the most useful way to go about it.
Kind of simple procedure, just sayin'.

You're free to engage in these subtle jabs instead of addressing my actual points if you wish, but I should warn you they really do nothing but add malice and contempt to the already stressful environment of debate.
Feel free to take up my challenge to back up the claims instead of erring to accusations of a perceived attack ("jabs").

I see groundless claims as fanciful and not grounded in reality - that's not an attack, that's a reasonable stance.
Any attempts at creating an image of me being forcefully adding malice/contempt is yet another groundless claim that will be ignored unless can also be proven.

You mean like the fact smash community is proven to grow inclined towards certain rules, playstyles, and games? (melee, mk, 3-stock, etc)
Like I said, ambiguous statements - will have be required an entailing line of reasoning.
Ambiguous inclination towards certain rules doesn't prove anything more than what can subjectively be interpreted with rosy glasses until it entails reasonably to a valid conclusion.
Honestly, it seems like an argument against what you are suggesting, so I am not sure what inclination has to do with your side of the argument. Stocks have changed (3 to 4 in Melee, 4 to 3 in Brawl), MK was banned and subsequently unbanned, and I have no idea what "melee" suggests - but all of these seem to suggest that the community isn't adverse to changes in rules at all. JUST THE OPPOSITE. So this "now or never" attitude seems a very unnatural response to something that isn't a problem at all.

And it is undoubtedly a fact that no one, least of all you, has provided a reason waiting will solve any of your perceived issues. The burden of proof remains on you to disprove that fact.
The issue I brought to the table was how the Custom Movement is unnaturally being "above the law" competitively. You seem to have missed that standard is default gameplay until competition necessitates a change naturally.

The custom movement seems to want to unnaturally push a change from standard and make EVO's 1st tournament a deviation. Why should it be burden of proof on me?
Answer: It isn't my job to disprove your claims. It's your job to prove your claim.

(refer to how I see "groundless claims" as simply fanciful whims that should be reasonably ignored until proven, just a couple paragraphs above, I bolded it for easy reference)

So could you answer directly, do you feel waiting would in no way make customs more difficult to implement?
Like I stated, I am not one so inclined to argue with feelings. That is in the field of rhetoric and not something I aim to do.
However, I already made it apparent that you seemed to be arguing against this idea it is "difficult to implement" "later" concept above - see the ambiguous statements near beginning, I bolded for easy reference.

>July 2010The decision was made in september 2011 that in JANUARY 2012 MK would be banned.
From 2010 to 2011, quite a difference from your original post suggesting that it took 2 years to happen.
And that was the one good decision they decided to wait until AFTER Apex, which is the same decision I am suggesting to wait until AFTER EVO to make a big rule change.
As much as the Meta Ban made missteps even that movement got the waiting part right, Custom Movement isn't even waiting for the first EVO @_@

Do you not believe the MK ban didn't take off due to large part MK being such a widely used character, and centric part of the meta that many players simply would not want to relearn years of the game and thus ignored MK-ban tourneys due to how familiar they became after time?
I wouldn't make that claim.
If the ban started in 2010 as you claimed then I'd reckon it wouldn't be much of a problem for competitors to make a character witch in 2011 since most of the people abusing the character switched over to him from a previous character to start with.

Also, speaking purely in regards to human psychology, it's far easier to get large groups of people to exact change within a small amount of time than elongated.
I call that reckless abandon in our case.

You really must cease this appeal to semantics. Generally in that context "imagine" simply means "it find it logical to believe"
You're the one arguing with imagining, just because you didn't define an alternative 'general context' doesn't mean I am appealing to semantics. Doing so just makes a case for you projecting blame on me for something you have done and detracts the argument.
Probably best to accept my polite request to not utilize wording to push a one-sided issue of shifting burdens of proof onto me while looking like you can get away with backing your argument in flimsy whimsy.
Accepting that request would surely do away with the possibilities of such detraction.

And as far as I know that poll was anonymous, though I'm sure you're aware of that. The Xanadu one was not, ergo it's the main one I will refer to about competitive feelings in regards to customs. (largely postive)
Ah, so sorry you could not find the proper evidence for your argument. That would have really persuaded me more to your side.
Let me know when you have found what the competitors attending EVO have to say in regards to Customs and the fashion by which the ruling was introduced.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
...?
Waiting until after EVO and introducing customs through the year until the next EVO isn't waiting?
Well... ok then, I've gone about as far as I can with the conversation if this contradiction stands in the way.
Logical deadend, backtracking...

Sorry, but I can't be much more clear than plain english.
Ad hominems will be pointed out and subsequently ignored until rephrased so as not to be a fallacy to help strengthen the argument.

Here ya go, I'll quote you:

So it seems to be conflicting to say the best place/time is EVO and the best way to introduce is side events throughout the year and introduce the new rules after everything has been settled.
Yea, I know. The fact is you're asserting that somehow these side tournaments happen because of waiting on their own, that waiting and sides are possible solutions joined at the hip, but they aren't. They are entirely separate at their core. One being a good idea doesn't make the other inherently good as well.

You have to explain why waiting itself helps, not having sides. As I was the one who originally submitted sides as the potential ideal solution, so obviously I'd agree, though you're phrasing the argument all wrong.

Until you can give me a straight answer on this, I won't entertain your conflation of the issue any further. Especially as it seems the rest of your post is essentially just you justifying your lack of a response to my questions.

Last edited:

Moonslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmonExE
Custom is a good way to counter character selection. I support as it gives the game more variety!

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
They were upset at Apex15 for coaches taking 1- 2mins to coach there players (which I agree was f****** ********, no need for it) and now were going to wait EACH individual fight for the players to do customs?? Customs wont become a "Norm" in Competitive Smash

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
You're the one arguing with imagining, just because you didn't define an alternative 'general context' doesn't mean I am appealing to semantics. Doing so just makes a case for you projecting blame on me for something you have done and detracts the argument.
Probably best to accept my polite request to not utilize wording to push a one-sided issue of shifting burdens of proof onto me while looking like you can get away with backing your argument in flimsy whimsy.
Accepting that request would surely do away with the possibilities of such detraction.
This is the only thing I'm going to say on this, as I learned in our prior Sudden Death debate that arguing with you in this way isn't the most... effective way of getting things done, but you need to start reading the full meanings of what people say and not simply using semantic attacks.
A misunderstanding of that use of "imagining" honestly makes it look like English isn't your first language, or that you never communicate with anyone using informal language, both of which I would assume are incorrect as you seem rather literate and well-read when providing your own points.

Anyways, the main thing I posted for is because I'm going to recommend 1 thing though to make this debate more productive:
@ T0MMY T0MMY , you need to approach the debate by looking at the idea of what @ DunnoBro DunnoBro is saying; the meaning, not the language that encodes and transmits it. Focus on the points being made more than just how it's said.

With that I'm out and will (likely) not join in on this debate, but at this point this is going basically nowhere while it's a debate that does have a purpose to happen; hopefully I was able to help at least a bit.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Yea, I know. The fact is you're asserting that somehow these side tournaments happen because of waiting on their own
No I'm not.
Waiting meant to hold off until next year when they'd actually be accepted more by people like myself kind-of-supporting customs. If nobody runs/enters custom events then the demand isn't there and just proves they shouldn't have been pushed on people to begin with.
As it is I am not supporting them at all due to the disrespectful fashion they were introduced. This is my stance and mine alone, feel free to put me at ease with why customs were introduced properly because I don't see it, but if so I'll change my stance to even more supportive than I was preivous. Very simple and reasonable - everything about this makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is pushing a rule change on people who are attending EVO who never said they wanted the rule changed and how it goes against the standards.
Best case scenario for custom movement is that Customs become the standard & we do not have any metagame development for vanilla version like we should have naturally had - wow, that's best case scenario? That sucks!

You have to explain why waiting itself helps, not having sides.
Already did, bro. Not going to keep repeating myself.
If plain english wasn't working then I feel I'm wasting my time.
Go back and read my posts.

Until you can give me a straight answer on this, I won't entertain your conflation of the issue any further. Especially as it seems the rest of your post is essentially just you justifying your lack of a valid response to my questions.
ooh, boy, ad hominem time. Looks like this conversation is about done when one side resorts to fallacy.

Looks like you're really backed into a logical corner if you are resorting to putting a last ditch effort into convincing me of this simple idea that I just "lack valid responses".
Well, thanks so much for offering that solution that my verifiable proofs of real accounts just aren't the responses you were hoping for. Can't say it helped me much as I still disagree with plenty of what you've offered.

The silly thing is you never got around to asking me the question your ultimatum demands. Answer straight on what exactly?
Hope it's not another test to see if it's a "valid response" (validity is an argumentative function, not an arbitrary decision you get to be judge/jury/executioner on, btw).

They were upset at Apex15 for coaches taking 1- 2mins to coach there players (which I agree was f****** ********, no need for it) and now were going to wait EACH individual fight for the players to do customs?? Customs wont become a "Norm" in Competitive Smash
That may be... but probably not for the reason you gave. We'll see.

Top Bottom