• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am actually Glad that Ganondorf is still a semi-clone.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
After reading a wide variety of posts around this forum, It's safe to say that SSB4 will have a completely different game-style than the previous three smash editions.

Ganondorf is still a semi-clone of Falcon, but for me personally that isn't a problem. I was good with him in Brawl, and he will be easier to pick up and for me to excel with in these latest editions.

Of course, I'd prefer that he'd get revamps and move switches on his speed & agility, his warlock punch and his dark dive recovery move (that is if they are still completely the same, this is what I heard). Everything else I was fine with.

Your thoughts.

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
I like his semi-clone moveset and never wanted it to change, other than getting a new neutral B and a new utilt.

He just needs a lot of buffs from his Brawl incarnation and he needs to get his second jump back after an aerial down B like in Melee and Project M.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
His Double Jump looks like it has recieved a major buff.
It's not amazing in any way, but it definitely looks like it covers a lot more air than it did i Brawl.
And Dark Dive seems to have gotten a horizontal boost, plus actual stun.

I haven't noticed any "real" changes other than that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I also like his moveset. I think seeing him with a sword would be a bit a disappointing, in fact. A magician who punch? Yes please.

I just wanted to see ONE special move change to a projectile, but oh well. Maybe in the customs.

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad he still has his original move set, I never did want them to change him into another sword user. I am abit dissapointed that outside of some animations (Down B for example) nothing has changed though, he's almost identical to Brawl. Like Zig said though his recovery looks stronger atleast.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The only thing I saw changed is Down-B has slightly less ending lag...I think. But it's still unsafe on block (but better on hit).

Ganon's D-throw looks really good (low knock back, and puts them right in front of you slightly above your head, meaning Ganon will have reliable setups and combos off throws), but I can't tell how much grab range he has.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
The only thing I saw changed is Down-B has slightly less ending lag...I think. But it's still unsafe on block (but better on hit).

Ganon's D-throw looks really good (low knock back, and puts them right in front of you slightly above your head, meaning Ganon will have reliable setups and combos off throws), but I can't tell how much grab range he has.
I've noticed that about his D-throw too. We'll see what it brings us.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
This thread is BLASPHEMY!!! Haha but I tend to agree. We have enough sword wielders in Smash. Ganondorf being a clone of the Captain makes zero sense, but is pretty awesome. I guess Falcon=Ultimate Man and Ganondorf=Ultimate Gerudo sooooo... yeah.
The main change I would ask for is a usable U-Tilt. The Explosive kick, while cool, is totally impractical for battle.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
His Double Jump looks like it has recieved a major buff.
It's not amazing in any way, but it definitely looks like it covers a lot more air than it did i Brawl.
And Dark Dive seems to have gotten a horizontal boost, plus actual stun.

I haven't noticed any "real" changes other than that.
Yes. His double jump in Brawl was what made him a bit of a bait and sneak type of character, it actually helped him. This game made it seem better.

Also his jump lag was completely removed, which is surprising because some other characters still have jump lag in the game.

And it's actually very good that the lag was removed, this gives Ganon's UAIR potentials a huge boost.

Last edited:

ahobo77

Smash Rookie
I'm just glad hes back. little upset he didn't get a Hyrule Warriors costume though.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I maintain his Melee style of running is far more menacing and better aesthetically. His jab seems a bit faster and his grab appears to be able to set up combos. Up air is still a reliable move and up smash seems a bit faster. Back air is also faster and stronger as well as running speed. Didn't see a Wiz kick during the stream, so couldn't tell if he could regain a jump or if it could spike.

On the bad side, dair has awful landing lag, around the same from Brawl. He still has the brawl animation.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I like playing as Falcondorf I really do but I would much prefer a unique moveset. New smashes that involve his sword, specials that involve magic and the rest can be all fist/kick moves but NO! instead we still get no originality with a character with crap ton of potential while Pelutena gets 12 unique specials, Bowser gets revamped, Pit gets new moves and we get 3 clone characters...

Here's hoping for unique custom moves but we'll probably get 3 variations of crappy Warlock Punch.... sigh.

Edit: watch how in Smash 5 Sakurai brings in Hades and gives him a bad*** moveset and Ganondorf will still be just clone.

Last edited:

mehcode

Smash Rookie
NNID
mehcode
3DS FC
4828-4767-1945
I'm excited by the possibilities of gannodorfs potential custom special moves. Maybe he'll be able to differentiate his specials more from falcon.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Also his jump lag was completely removed, which is surprising because some other characters still have jump lag in the game.
You mean those frames it takes to actually get airbourne when pressing jump?
Really? If that's the case, it's pretty sick.

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
I'm excited by the possibilities of gannodorfs potential custom special moves. Maybe he'll be able to differentiate his specials more from falcon.
Gema's stream had Ganon using a sword for his Warlock Punch earlier I think. Curious what else he has.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
You mean those frames it takes to actually get airbourne when pressing jump?
Really? If that's the case, it's pretty sick.
Yes, that was the first thing I noticed about him starting from the leak. His UAir also seems to be a bit faster, and I wonder if it got stronger.

Last edited:

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Falcondorf plays well, but Ganondorf deserves a unique moveset, preferably one with magic, his sword, and punches and kicks. We've had 3 smash games now, I think the least that can be done is give him unique moves.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I will never be okay with Ganon being a Falcon clone.

And he would not need to be a sword fighter either.

One word: Trident.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I will never be okay with Ganon being a Falcon clone.

And he would not need to be a sword fighter either.

One word: Trident.
No kidding. Toon Ganon would fulfill the sword-wielding Ganondorf. Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf would be too OP considering he swings those greatswords like they were made of paper.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I've always liked Ganondorf's moveset despite being a semi-clone. It's true that Ganny has different ways of fighting in his own games but in Smash it truly shows one aspect that his been very consistent of him: His super human strength.
I care way more about him being viable again, like he was in Melee. In Brawl, they gave him some tweaks to differentiate him more from Falcon which was good, they had the right idea there but it wasn't very well executed as shown by Ganondorf's bottom tier status.
Still, I was glad that they gave him Flame Choke and the Sparta Kick which are very good moves on their own and are attacks that he used in Twilight Princess. His Up Smash was pretty good as well and I think it had an extended hitbox on the front.

So this time around, just apply the same idea that was meant for him in Brawl plus his Melee viability and I would a very happy Ganon main.

Une

Smash Apprentice
I think it's a goddamn disgrace that Ganon is still a semi-clone

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I don't main Ganondorf so I can't say I really care that much. I just find it funny how Sakurai said he's listening to the fans when it comes to moveset changes but he doesn't do it for the one character that needs it the most.

Oort

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf has always been a unique character. Does anyone really pretend his playstyle is even remotely close to falcon's?
There's nothing wrong with what he brings to the table, he just needs to be better at what he does.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't main Ganondorf so I can't say I really care that much. I just find it funny how Sakurai said he's listening to the fans when it comes to moveset changes but he doesn't do it for the one character that needs it the most.
Ganondorf doesn't need a move set change, but he does warrant it. Bowser and Link on the other hand needed changes to reflect their series a bit more - Bowser isn't a scary, creepy monster, but a sort of goofy, antagonistic turtle-dragon and Link's Jump Slash is a trademark. Ganondorf as Falcondorf still exudes power, but not the kind of evil wizard power like in Ocarina of Time, barbarian in Hyrule Warriors, or master swordsman in Wind Waker - Toon Ganon has enough merit to be his own character, personally.

To me, Ganondorf, Ike, and Captain Falcon suffered from being really slow and having little options compared to others. Now, they're faster and even stronger so they'll be able to hold their own much more. Ike's represented well as a simple and brutal warrior while the Capt.'s style was made up in 64 and kept as is. Ganondorf still gives off that feeling of power, but as semi-clone of the Capt., it doesn't reflect his own style. Does he need change? No, but does he warrant it? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Ganondorf doesn't need a move set change, but he does warrant it. Bowser and Link on the other hand needed changes to reflect their series a bit more - Bowser isn't a scary, creepy monster, but a sort of goofy, antagonistic turtle-dragon and Link's Jump Slash is a trademark. Ganondorf as Falcondorf still exudes power, but not the kind of evil wizard power like in Ocarina of Time, barbarian in Hyrule Warriors, or master swordsman in Wind Waker - Toon Ganon has enough merit to be his own character, personally.

To me, Ganondorf, Ike, and Captain Falcon suffered from being really slow and having little options compared to others. Now, they're faster and even stronger so they'll be able to hold their own much more. Ike's represented well as a simple and brutal warrior while the Capt.'s style was made up in 64 and kept as is. Ganondorf still gives off that feeling of power, but as semi-clone of the Capt., it doesn't reflect his own style. Does he need change? No, but does he warrant it? Absolutely.
Well, the choke certainly fits him at least.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I am glad to see it back. The Dorf probably had my favorite moveset in Brawl. Yet Bowser is still my best character, oddly. Every move was just so satisfying to land. NOTHING felt better than landing the aerial down boot on some poor sap so hard they hit the ground and bounced all the way back up off the screen.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am also glad that he is still a semi-clone. The play-style suits him well and I am quite adept at it. That is all that is relevant, in my opinion. I fail to care if entitled Legend of Zelda fans wish for him to be more reminiscent of canon Ganon. This is Smash, not Legend of Zelda.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
I think at this point his moveset is kind of a tradition and that more people would be upset if he was a completely unique character than him keeping his Falcondorf moves. Either way, he's still very different from playing as Captain Falcon, so I don't mind so much.

thoooouuugh it would be really cool if he could throw the energy ball and play tennis with people like in OoT.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm a Legend of Zelda fanboy, and I like Smash Ganondorf. It doesn't bother me that his moveset is derived from C. Falcon, and I actively enjoy him being this imposing, powerful wizard. As much as I love mage characters, Ganondorf (especially in his TP incarnation) is such a hands-on villain. It feels right for him to kick, punch, and throttle his opponents with magically-enhanced strength.

Ganondorf should feel like he could go toe-to-toe with big monsters like Bowser, and indeed he does. (if you're tempted to counter me based on how good he is, please don't; that's not my point at all)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I agree. Ganondorf's moveset is pretty cool and I think it fit the bearer of the Triforce of Power pretty nicely, way more than a sword-based moveset.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I agree. Ganondorf's moveset is pretty cool and I think it fit the bearer of the Triforce of Power pretty nicely, way more than a sword-based moveset.
What if Ganondorf was using a hammer, mace, or axe-based move set? And then there's this.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Here's the thing. I understand this completely because there was a point in time where I mained Ganon in Melee and even now he's one of my mains in Project M but there's still a part of me that wants him to have a new move set so I came up with this compromise that'll probably never happen.

Give Ganondorf his own move set with the sword so he can be unique, even apart from the other sword fighters because he can still have more physical attacks, like his forward tilt boot, that was in Twilight Princess so you can still give him that, his standard B would be the ball of light from the various other Zelda games and stuff like that but to even things out, add Black Shadow from F-Zero and give him the same semi Falcon move set Ganondorf had for the past three games that way Ganondorf has a unique move set and those who liked the semi clone move set can still have it while finally getting a new F-Zero rep, that's three birds with one stone.

I don't mind what they've done though because the more I thought about it the more it makes sense that Ganondorf would decide not to use his sword because he's shown time and time again that he's very arrogant so to me it makes sense that he'd be like, "Pfft I don't even need to use my sword against these worms." I guarantee you if the Zelda characters talked in Smash, Ganon's down taunt would have him go "I don't even need this!" or something as he takes the sword out. That's as far as my BS justification goes lol I can't explain why he happens to have the same fighting style as Falcon.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Here's the thing. I understand this completely because there was a point in time where I mained Ganon in Melee and even now he's one of my mains in Project M but there's still a part of me that wants him to have a new move set so I came up with this compromise that'll probably never happen.

Give Ganondorf his own move set with the sword so he can be unique, even apart from the other sword fighters because he can still have more physical attacks, like his forward tilt boot, that was in Twilight Princess so you can still give him that, his standard B would be the ball of light from the various other Zelda games and stuff like that but to even things out, add Black Shadow from F-Zero and give him the same semi Falcon move set Ganondorf had for the past three games that way Ganondorf has a unique move set and those who liked the semi clone move set can still have it while finally getting a new F-Zero rep, that's three birds with one stone.

I don't mind what they've done though because the more I thought about it the more it makes sense that Ganondorf would decide not to use his sword because he's shown time and time again that he's very arrogant so to me it makes sense that he'd be like, "Pfft I don't even need to use my sword against these worms." I guarantee you if the Zelda characters talked in Smash, Ganon's down taunt would have him go "I don't even need this!" or something as he takes the sword out. That's as far as my BS justification goes lol I can't explain why he happens to have the same fighting style as Falcon.
F-Zero fans might be a little angry if they found out Black Shadow was a semi-clone. Blood Falcon would work better as a more savage and brawler semi-clone to Captain Falcon, but he does look really similar to the Capt., so maybe a little artistic liberty can make him look different.

Anyway, a sword-wielding Ganondorf, for me, would be easy if they added Toon Ganon, and had Ganondorf's move set be more magic and fist-orientated to give him that overwhelming power and corruption from Demise's influence. Toon Ganon would be more swords-based since of the Ganondorfs, he's the one furthest away from Demise, but still tethered due to the curse. So, Ganondorf would be the might and brutality to the grace and calmness of Toon Ganon.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I'd just like it if he had a sword for some of his regular attacks. His specials are fine. I mean I'd like if he had a bit more magic, but this is fine. I just want him to swing a sword.

Still, this Ganon looks fun.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't think being a clone does him any real justice, but I do think the play-style fits him (except in Brawl to some extent. I really think they overdid the "Slow Heavy and Strong" character-type with him there) so I don't really mind him being a clone of the Capt. again.

Would've really loved to see him get an energy ball special in particular, and some more sword-based moves. But hey, at least he makes some use of his sword this time thanks to customization. :p

Top Bottom