• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am a terrible person

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

I feel like a jerk for not playing this kid who wants to get better seriously- And it's not the fact that's he's a kid, but it's rather the fact that I may untentionally play worst against people don't know how to play very well. I don't do it on purpose most of the time, but I just feel like a jer about it...

I suppose the point of sandbagging is playing to the worst of your ability while still winning. Well- I was completely "doin it wrong", as I was the one losing most of the times, anyway.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The point, imo, is now how or what you play, but what do you learn.
If the kid can learn more from your sandbagging, keep doing it. If the kid learns more from being three stocked, play at your fullest.
hell ,there are people that learn more from Free-for-alls or team battles than 1v1.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
don't sandbag. play your fullest. the habits he picks up from playing an opponent that sandbags are bad. he needs to learn how to fight against the proper styles. punish him for everything he does. a very good way to help him is if he has a bad habit (e.g. roll spamming) find out how to bait that out of him and then punish him every time he misuses it. eventually he'll learn not to do that.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yes you are a terrible person, now stop making threads in the wrong section.
Competitive discussion is not your personal blog.

Thanks in advance.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Just don't sandbag.

Yes you are a terrible person, now stop making threads in the wrong section.
Competitive discussion is not your personal blog.

Thanks in advance.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah well, I just don't see how writing 2 lines then ending it with "i believe [insert uneducated opinion here]" would lead to anything constructive as far as competitive discussions go.
If he wants mental support then User Blogs is the section for him, and if he wants to fix his tv lag then he shall just go to the technical corner.

So yeah I plead guilty.

D

Deleted member 189823

It has to do with competivity as well.
Everything, everything I post here has to do with self-improvement on a competetive aspect, even if it's some sort of rant, the point is to look for a way to improve some flaws.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330976
"I believe that being a good player doesn't have to do with winning"

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332866
"My TV lags, also I find that CRT TVs lag in general"

And then comes this thread with the dreadful
"I sandbag and lose but I think sandbagging has to do with winning"

How does any of that relate with self improvement when any of this can be replied with "no, you are wrong" ?
There is no competitive aspect in exposing your opinions for the sole reason that it's your opinion.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Nobody cares^

Swei, regardless of whether or not you sandbag, you need to make sure you're consistently punishing bad habits, and CALL HIM OUT ON IT WHILE DOING SO.

Ever since I got to my college dorm, I've been destroying people in Smash. Everyone here had (has) awful roll habits. But I've been literally sitting next to them, waiting for them to roll, then smashing them out of the roll and asking them "Why are you rolling?" Every. Time. The amount of rolling I see has decreased SIGNIFICANTLY since I've been here.

I did a similar thing with edge guarding - Every time I threw someone off stage, their first option would be to use their Double Jump and head back to the stage. So I'd just throw them off stage, aim for where they'd jump, smack them back out there and ask "Why are you gonna just jump back at me?" Every. Time. Again, people have now stopped getting gimped so badly and they actually don't mindlessly jump after getting hit.

So yeah, the key to helping him improve is punishing his habits and making him aware that that's what you're doing.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330976
"I believe that being a good player doesn't have to do with winning"

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332866
"My TV lags, also I find that CRT TVs lag in general"

And then comes this thread with the dreadful
"I sandbag and lose but I think sandbagging has to do with winning"

How does any of that relate with self improvement when any of this can be replied with "no, you are wrong" ?
There is no competitive aspect in exposing your opinions for the sole reason that it's your opinion.
Well,the world will not end just because of that.

You're making a storm inside a cup of water.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
tbh i think teluoborg made a good point. but i make fairly pointless threads sometimes too so i'ma shut up...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
He made a good point about bad threads (nobody is perfect, anyone has made bad threads), but this one is somewhat useful.

Flayl

Smash Hero
teluoborg if it makes you feel any better I don't like self-congratulatory/pity threads either

D

Deleted member 189823

Well, I suppose if it offends (?) you so much teluoborg, I should owe you an apology? I mean, you've made me see I've posted threads in the wrong section, and thereby I did such a terrible thing that I must feel guilty for...? Tell you what, maybe you should stop caring about that. I mean, it's something I, the topic creator, hasn't even concern of. It'll probably save you more trouble in the future rather than getting worked-up on your complaints. You might as well hit the "Report" button next time rather than back-seat mod.

Anyway, I thank the guys that have actually given me advice on this. Especially you, Delta-cod. If you want to make someone learn, punish them like they deserve. It's no good for them and the person doing the sandbagging (for them, because they won't learn well, and for me for looking even worse by losing against them).

I'll try to avoid doing the kind of thing that might bother other people. And yeah, thanks for the concern, guys.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
If I were a mod right now, I would tell you not to backseat mod, telu.
But I don't, because I ain't one, so I shouldn't bother telling people to not post in the wrong section.

You shouldn't bother either. :D

As for swei, don't worry about feeling bad. I mean, yeah, don't sandbag and stuff, but only if you have to, depending on how they are and etc. I played bad, and yet I still learned and got better after a few weeks. They'll end up the same as any other, which is obviously getting better at what they do.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well I usually don't bother with this kind of threads, I mean I have jebus on my ignore list and all but here we have someone who's looking like a normal human being making a thread which topic is "I feel bad for sandbagging".

Then delta says "stop sandbagging".

And he replies "thank you for the useful advice".

Interest of the whole discussion = 0

And I would give an equivalent amount of damns if that wasn't the third thread Swei started here, meaning he feels that "I'm wrong -stop being wrong -thank you" cycle is a good form of discussion and he will probably keep on going everytime he has an idea.

So yeah, my words were harsh but the point is : post your threads in the adequate section, thank you.
If you need help to direct you to the right subforums I will gladly contribute.

G

Ghooru

if you play worse against noobs, then isn't that good reason to play him? cause you wanna be fully well rounded as a player...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Try playing against him with characters you don't play very often,you'll try your best and you'll not be "sandbagging".

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well I usually don't bother with this kind of threads, I mean I have jebus on my ignore list and all but here we have someone who's looking like a normal human being making a thread which topic is "I feel bad for sandbagging".

Then delta says "stop sandbagging".

And he replies "thank you for the useful advice".

Interest of the whole discussion = 0

And I would give an equivalent amount of damns if that wasn't the third thread Swei started here, meaning he feels that "I'm wrong -stop being wrong -thank you" cycle is a good form of discussion and he will probably keep on going everytime he has an idea.

So yeah, my words were harsh but the point is : post your threads in the adequate section, thank you.
If you need help to direct you to the right subforums I will gladly contribute.
I'd like to think my post was a bit more informative than "stop sandbagging". >_>

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
But I've been literally sitting next to them, waiting for them to roll, then smashing them out of the roll and asking them "Why are you rolling?"
People in your college didn't mix up their rolls? I have a tendency of air-teching moreso than rolling, but wouldn't you be more prone to rolling away from an enemy in order to gain distance to prepare to continue punishing them however your character is best suited to? I don't play professionally, but it just seems like common sense.
;
Oh, also, I have a tendency to accidentally play worse against worse players. I usually refuse to drop my 'good-player' VS habits, and end up running into oddly placed attacks that generally would have no place in a fight against a skilled opponent. Doesn't mean I lose though, I usually win. And in terms of 'calling out your punishments', I find that the most entertaining method of teaching another player is to play sloppy until you're down to one stock and then screaming 'If I beat you now, you're bad!"

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
a lot of people roll behind because they assume you won't expect it and they can get a free hit. rolling behind is usually better than rolling away, but only if you don't abuse it. I personally love when people roll behind. I almost ALWAYS catch the roll. the only problem is, sometimes I think they are going to roll, and i want them to roll so badly, that i just tunnel-vision the punish and end up eating a hit because of it...

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
a lot of people roll behind because they assume you won't expect it and they can get a free hit. rolling behind is usually better than rolling away, but only if you don't abuse it. I personally love when people roll behind. I almost ALWAYS catch the roll. the only problem is, sometimes I think they are going to roll, and i want them to roll so badly, that i just tunnel-vision the punish and end up eating a hit because of it...
My friend usually plays characters with enough range on their dsmashes that he can hit me if I roll in regardless of when he executes it (ie: both the front and back swings on the smash can hit near behind him) so I've always adjusted to just rolling away. But I play mostly aerial moves (if I can get away with it) so being near an enemy is only useful to me if I want to grab.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
i don't roll much even when i play up close. I've started rolling a little more recently because i've been playing a lot of diddy kong and diddy's rolls are to good xD. rolls are good when used at the correct times, like when your opponent can't punish. rolls in brawl are quite a bit better than melee or 64. It's harder to react to the animation, and most rolls are much less laggy.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
People in your college didn't mix up their rolls? I have a tendency of air-teching moreso than rolling, but wouldn't you be more prone to rolling away from an enemy in order to gain distance to prepare to continue punishing them however your character is best suited to? I don't play professionally, but it just seems like common sense.
;
Oh, also, I have a tendency to accidentally play worse against worse players. I usually refuse to drop my 'good-player' VS habits, and end up running into oddly placed attacks that generally would have no place in a fight against a skilled opponent. Doesn't mean I lose though, I usually win. And in terms of 'calling out your punishments', I find that the most entertaining method of teaching another player is to play sloppy until you're down to one stock and then screaming 'If I beat you now, you're bad!"
They didn't, but they do now. Either they roll away to be safe or they avoid rolling through me in general. I'm actually starting to get hit because I stand around waiting for their roll and they just grab/hit me. It's a good improvement.

And that tendency to play worse against worse players isn't too unusual. I get hit by "worse" players all the time because they do random janky stuff. The thing is, they usually do the same type of thing all the time (for example, some of my dorm-mates have a habit of NEVER dodging and always attacking), so you can just pick up on their "style" of reaction and punish easily. With the above example, I either stop waiting for dodges and just keep hitting them, or I just shield the attack and punish.

Top Bottom