• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct Recap

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
With the Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct over, we have a few bits of new information. Some expected more, and some expected less, but we got a good grasp on what to expect from the game, which will release in North America on September 28! View the entire Nintendo Direct here:

Stages in the game progress very differently than an average Legend of Zelda game. Across each stage, there are a number of enemy 'keeps' that the player will want to take over. This will give players the advantage in battle, allowing friendly forces to move the front line further into enemy territory. To take over a keep, simply defeat every enemy inside. Be careful, though - Some enemies are harder to defeat than others! For example, King Dodongo is barely scratched by melee attacks, but tossing a few bombs into his mouth can do the trick, just as it does in the Legend of Zelda series. Oftentimes the items found in each level are typically the key to defeating that area's enemies, bosses, and puzzles.

Unlike traditional titles in The Legend of Zelda series, Hyrule Warriors offers a wide variety of playable characters. These characters level up as the player defeats enemies, making them grow in many different ways. When leveling up a character, the player can craft different types of badges that increase various stats such as attack or defense. Much like in an RPG, each character has their own unique skills to use. In Hyrule Warriors, these skills are called "Focus Spirit" attacks. When the player's magic bar is filled to the max, they're able to unleash a very large attack that blows a large number of enemies away. Using it as a combo finisher is key!

Ganondorf, as well as his villainous co-stars, Ghirahim and Zant, join the playable roster!

At the end of the Nintendo Direct, it was officially revealed that Ganondorf the Demon King will be playable in Hyrule Warriors. Not much of a surprise there, but it's exciting to see him using is dual swords!

It is also confirmed that alternate costumes will be included as downloadable content for Club Nintendo users! Register your copy of Hyrule Warriors before October 23, 2014 to receive the Demon King Costume set, which includes Ganondorf's variations from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. There will also be pre-order bonuses from selected retailers. The three packs are the Ocarina of Time Costume Pack, the Twilight Princess Costume Pack, and the Skyward Sword Costume Pack, which includes Link and Zelda's variations from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, respectively. Keep an eye out for more information on which retailers will carry each promotion!

This is only a glimpse of what was featured in the Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct today, so be sure to watch it for the entire run-down. Hyrule Warriors is a celebration of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and the entire Legend of Zelda series as a whole. Pre-order your copy now, as the game hits retailers on September 23!

iDOWN is a Legend of Zelda lover, and an Impa supporter for Smash 4. Talk Zelda and Smash with him on his Twitter at @PlayerOneiDOWN.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
So much power in one image.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
And we will forever weep because Sakurai is still gonna stick with Falcondorf in Super Smash Bros. for all time regardless.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Ganondorf looks amazing! I wish they could incorporate some characters from Hyrule Warriors or designs of characters into actual Legend of Zelda games.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So is it just me.. Or is Ganondorf a little too Lu Bu-ish for your liking?

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Holy ****ing **** look at that Ganondorf! Sakurai if you are aware of this Ganondorf then I hope you were taking notes.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
The direct was immensely boring, we already knew almost all the characters shown off, and the rest of the content could've all been shown in a 5 or 6 minute trailer for the game.
Ganondorf is the only reason it's worth watching.... Just skip to the end.
Still waiting for Nabooru, Ashei, and Groose.

gamerjohn1991

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamerjohn1991
3DS FC
5370-1230-7105
Can you believe that there's also a Zelda 1-styled mode?! AND the Chain Chomp from Link's Awakening?!?!

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
The game is awesome looking, cooler than I thought it was going to be. There's only one good Ganon costume missing...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Can you believe that there's also a Zelda 1-styled mode?! AND the Chain Chomp from Link's Awakening?!?!
The Chain Chomp really bugged me from the start... it kind of took me out of the game to see Mario enemies in it. Still though, Link's Awakening was great, and Hyrule Warriors looks fantastic!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Dat. Ganon. Tho.

Nah, fo'real. Dat. Ganon. 2gud.

I pray Super Sayajin 3 twin sword Ganon makes it in Smash someway. Put him in as a DLC sticker or something, good lawdy!

+9000 swag 2 stronk...

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ironically of all the designs of this game, this is the one that look the most Dynastywarriorish. i guess guys at Dinasty Warriors love warlords and warlocks

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Everything about Ganondorf's design is just pure win; definitely the best mix of character elements from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword (plus Wind Waker!) when compared to the rest of the cast.

And wow, just a few hours after the direct, and we've already got awesome interpretations of the Ganondorf trailer, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_gV2xSPSg

Zoa

Smash Ace
R.I.P. Falcondorf 2001-2008?

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
He makes for a glorious and muscular warrior. I wonder what Zelda looks like. I'm assuming she is an archer of some kind.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Looks like Ganondorf and Demise go to the same stylist.

Cept Demise has to pay extra for the fire, lol.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct Recap:
Ganondorf.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Since when did Ganondorf obtain the Infinity Gauntlet? Let alone two of them. Still, digging that Demise inspired look, at least he doesn't look exactly like Akuma with long hair.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
This is the most metal design Ganondorf has ever taken and all it really is is a hybrid of TP Ganondorf and Demise, they work so damn well together and his move set? Damn, I'll admit I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game but I am experienced with other action games like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear Rising and this game is looking brilliant, I've always wanted a Zelda action game ever since Twilight Princess had those hidden moves and I'm getting it next month with WAY more than what I had in mind, being able to play as other Zelda characters including villains? Ganondorf's metal as f*** design? And the best part about it is a free play mode, you realize what that means? ZANT ONLY RUN LET'S F***ING GO!!!

And before someone brings it up, yeah I've heard of Dynasty Warriors being criticised for mash to win easy gameplay and it's for that very reason that I've decided I'm playing on the hard difficulty setting at all times, plus every other game I've gotten into that's supposedly known for mash to win gameplay, I never feel the will to mash because I always legitimately want to know what I'm doing and when I want to do it, so button mashing isn't even in my instinct, well not anymore at least.

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
OH NO! GANONDORF HAS LONG HAIR! Ridley deconfirmed!

Just kidding of course, I love the new Ganondorf design, i hope we get it as an alt in smash!

Actually I would love to get the Link, Zelda, and Sheik designs from Hyrule warriors as alts too.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This. This Ganondorf has to be in Smash. That entire Direct was some new but mostly previously revealed information....just with videos. I was hoping we would be shown at least two new playable characters (really holding out for characters such as Saria, Mallon, Groose, Yeto, and King Bulbin (he's an enemy....shouldn't he be a boss?). Yeah, the villains were a nice touch (I was kind of hoping they could fight against the forces of Hyrule but whatev). However, seeing not only the HW Ganondorf but also TP and OoT Ganondorf was almost too much for me. Being a huge Ganondorf fan both in and out of Smash, this pleased me greatly. And now I thirst for HW Ganondorf as the default design for the King of Evil along with alt costumes of OoT and TP.

Sad Majora's Mask or Wind Waker didn't get any representation. Tetra, Skull Kid, and the Happy Mask Salesman would have been fun to play as.

Anyways, hyped for this game!

Last edited:
Top Bottom