• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hylian'z ZAIR

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
I don't think it's as awesome as you say it is
show me what's up
PM friends codes

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm sorry.

Think what you want. I have already presented most of the information.

I will play people once I have the american version.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I don't think that Hylian actually invented the Zair, he is just the only samus player who has like 200 videos up.

Eten

Smash Ace
I'd consider giving Hylian credit for being the most progressive with Zair experimentation.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I found the zair by myself and have proof of this from Tobias.

I then went to see if anyone else had discovered it,

Yuna found it first for all characters I believe.

I was the first person to put it to good use though and develop strategies with it. And then post videos >_>.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
the test of time will see if hylians usage of this move will be game changing or not.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
the test of time will see if hylians usage of this move will be game changing or not.
This is probably the smartest thing I have ever heard you say.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Zair isn't looking like it wil be as spammable as I thought. All hylian does is short hop on the edge and spam this, when people learn to shield I would love to see how well it does then.

This move is too defensive for it's effectiveness, if you simply run away and spam zair for 100% damage, and then they hit you like 5 times for the same amount of damage, you can see how useful it is.

I could see this replacing drop through platform missiling, but other then that, a basic approach at most. I would love to see where hugs and wes stand on this tactic.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Zair isn't looking like it wil be as spammable as I thought. All hylian does is short hop on the edge and spam this, when people learn to shield I would love to see how well it does then.

This move is too defensive for it's effectiveness, if you simply run away and spam zair for 100% damage, and then they hit you like 5 times for the same amount of damage, you can see how useful it is.

I could see this replacing drop through platform missiling, but other then that, a basic approach at most. I would love to see where hugs and wes stand on this tactic.
Hugs has already said that zair alone can make samus High tier....

So yeah...and in all those videos I was just experiementing with zair for the most part.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
How can someone discover an attack? It would be like saying "I discovered Xcharacters Fair", I guess Hylian just realized the potential of this move and implemented it into his gameplay.

X Megadragon

Smash Cadet
How can someone discover an attack? It would be like saying "I discovered Xcharacters Fair", I guess Hylian just realized the potential of this move and implemented it into his gameplay.
QFT?

Anyway, Hylian, I really look forward to getting SSBB and perhaps playing against you. :D

And also, I have the same question as Fantom... what about Link/Toon Link/Lucas's zair? If they also grapple cancel... Samus won't be as much in the limelight.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
fantomkitsume:

No, Olimar's upB also does some good damage, and actually has better range. But he can only shoot it up at a 45 degree angle. Samus's is MUCH better and practical.

doughboy555

Smash Rookie
I am a noob and I am having a hard time with this tech. Every time I jump I jump really high even tho I just tap it. Can someone plz help me with doing zair. I

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I am a noob and I am having a hard time with this tech. Every time I jump I jump really high even tho I just tap it. Can someone plz help me with doing zair. I

It's a lot easier to do a shorthop in Brawl than it is in Melee.(On the Gamecube controller, at least.) Just practice in training mode until you get it down.

D4RK_HUNT3R

Smash Cadet
I've seen Silven videos and he does fine spamming missiles instead of zAirs. But homing missile + zAir spam looks to be a very good approach technique. Quite possible one of the best approaches in game.

It's still possible to pwn with Samus without the zAir spam though, as seen by Silven.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't really approach (I camp lol) but my approach is SH HM spam, sometimes a zair when they're at tipper range.

SH bair to nair is really good. Or SH double bair.

Yorenec

Smash Cadet
I've seen Silven videos and he does fine spamming missiles instead of zAirs. But homing missile + zAir spam looks to be a very good approach technique. Quite possible one of the best approaches in game.

It's still possible to pwn with Samus without the zAir spam though, as seen by Silven.
I think Silven's videos were made before zair was discovered.

He even said that he stopped using her because "she sucks and has trouble ko'ing".

Which was pretty true when he said it but we're starting to find out now that it's not so true after zair discovery, her combo potential and RAR.

And yea, homing missile + zair spam is great for approaching just about anybody.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think Silven's videos were made before zair was discovered.

He even said that he stopped using her because "she sucks and has trouble ko'ing".

Which was pretty true when he said it but we're starting to find out now that it's not so true after zair discovery, her combo potential and RAR.

And yea, homing missile + zair spam is great for approaching just about anybody.
No offense to Silven, but his samus really isn't that good.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I agree about Silven. If he says that she sucks and has trouble ko'ing, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Lol, been watching a lot of Samus videos, and Hylian owns most Samus players at the moment, definitely Silven's. And missle spamming is not that great unless you go against newbs using big characters. But homing + zair FTW.

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
so what have u guys seen that could possibly counter the zair? okay, maybe not counter, but piss you off while trying to spam it? i hate playing falcos because of the lazer/shine spam.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Fortress out of shield>shzair. That's all I can think of. Zair's range is SO huge, NOBODY can grab you out of it. And it has enough hitstun to combo, so they can't attack you after the attack finishes.

An opponent approaching with an airdodge might get through, but zair has like no lag, you could punish them as soon as their airdodge ends with a ftilt or whatever.

A countering move may work. Ike, Peach, Lucario, MK, etc. should see if they can hit Samus while she's using zair. I'll bet it won't hit though. Did I mention the range is HUGE!?

fromthegrave

Smash Cadet
I like the Zair very much. In my mind, it is a kind of replacement for the Nair that was in melee. while is doesnt have the same knock back, it has a godd range and enough of a stun/knock back to be effective in setting up something or keeping enemies at bay. It works for me and that's good enough.

Top Bottom