• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Johnz 4: The Return To Bus City Hammond IN December 12th Featuring Eddie Howells

cykofox

Smash Ace
long story short: dont put me next to matt again in the bracket
thanks, i didnt really want to read through all that text crap.

shout outs:

vro: good ****
tink: you know matchups and ****
joesky: rappee
kels: you play gay
Rat: keep up the smash theory talk

Gracen

Smash Cadet
I definitely see what Rat is saying. The difference in what seed you receive in pools is very critical. Under theoretical conditions, a 1st seed gets a free match and then a seed 2 opponent. A 2 seed gets a 3 seed match and then a 1 seed match. A 3 seed gets a 2 seed match and a 1 seed match. A 4 seed will almost always lose to the 1 seed.

For a player of Rat's skill level, who may be roughly 2 seed level the seed will determine how many difficult opponents he has to overcome to place high. (objectively, only to make an example.) If Rat gets a 2 seed, he will probably beat the 3 seed and try to overcome the one seed. If Rat gets a 3 seed, he will probably have to fight someone equal to or better than him in round one, and then overcome the 1 seed. If Rat gets a 1 seed, he will beat the 4 seed easily, and have to play the 2 seed, someone about equal to him.

While I agree you shouldn't be entirely limited to getting your usual second seed, I think the best people need to be able to get a 1 seed to make the bracket play out correctly. I think you should have to beat people better than you to take the placings they would typically take.

Personally, if I play at a 5th place caliber, I want my best chance possible to get 5th place. I would rather the results be representative of how well I play. I want to beat the 4th place player to take 4th place.

Honestly, Rat, at this tournament you lost to 2nd and 4th place, and received 5th place. If anything, the bracket played out as it should have for you. you should have to beat the players marginally better than you to get 4th place next tournament. I see your concern, but the bracket seems to have played out correctly this time.

One issue I want to call out is the crew separation issue. I think this rule allows people in crews with good people to place higher. A mediocre player in a good crew is able to avoid all of his good teammates, where a player of equal skill level will most often lose out to those good players. I would love to be in a crew with tink and kels and avoid them in bracket as often as possible. I think crew separation improves chances of some mediocre players.

Pools should have maybe 4 varying skill levels assigned. Really good, pretty good, mediocre, and bad. An 8 person pool should have roughly 2 people from each category. If you hand seed the pools entirely you are basically choosing someone's opportunities to advance based on your expectation of them.

I believe the bracket should be generated such that the 2-4 best players are in separate quadrants of the bracket. I don't think people should be hand moved to make the bracket look as expected. The bracket should be regenerated each time there is an obvious flaw.
GUESS HOW MANY PEOPLE I SEEN USED YOUR SIGNATURE MOVE AT THIS TOURNAMENT?????
like..... 1...... but even so...... PURE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
lol glad it's all over with but I do understand what Rat was saying although i'm not really fond of it. I'd been going to so many tournaments where it would be like Eddie vs Tink Grand finals time and time again. I just practiced hard and one day was able to compete with them. lol ask Damien how many losses i suffered at his smashfests before I was even able to just fight on par with him.

again I see your point rat. making a random bracket could potentially give lesser skilled players a shot at a high placing but it's a slap in the face to all the players that really have worked hard to get where they are.
long story short.... you still suck

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Ha, nice sig.

That's how I'm so good, I'm always devising new combos in my head.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
im pretty sure im driving. who wants in? no one from purdue is going except maybe for DJ

also I have no idea what im gonna do about housing. hotels have to be booked by the 25th to get the discounted rate

Top Bottom