• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Dissapointment!

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I am actually incredibly dissapointed in what may be happening to melee. With brawl coming out, everyone seems to believe that melee will basically become obsolete. That is very dissapointing. Im going to miss the speed and technical skill needed in melee. Now that they are slowing down brawl, and it would appear they took out WD and L-cancelling and such, it would seem that the game will be much less technically engaging. I was enjoying my time trying to perfect the waveshine, and the drillshine, and making sure i was able to l-cancel every airial i ever pulled. I was also loving watching and learning about all the badass melee players like M2K and Ken and PC Chris and Germ and all those people that would make every character look like the best and most fun character. Now that things are going to slow down, in my eyes it would seem that matches are going to be less fun to watch then they were before. I used to love getting on youtube and watching someone get waveshined into oblivion and then seeing M2K dominating some competitors based on his steadfast dedication to learning the technical side of melee. I am sure that brawl will kick ***, and i hope that the wifi doesnt mean that real tournaments will occur less often. I wanna walk into a big area where dozens of smash players are all anxiously awaiting their turn to test their mettle against some well tuned smashers. Im sure wifi will be awesome for training and practice and just plain fun, but I surely hope that things dont become too wifi based. It would suck to think that smash would fall from grace at MLG because all the sudden everyone gets all the smash they need on wifi. I'm sure im just being paranoid, but what i do know is i will still miss the speed and technical mastery that i used to enjoy watching and learning so much.

A true lover of melee,
-Southern Comfort-SOCO

its not that i will stop playing melee, nor do i beleive that everyone else will, i just enjoyed how professional play was seperated from intermediate because of the speed and techincal advancement they had. i hadnt started getting into smash until a few months ago, and spent rediculous amounts of time trying to improve with hopes of one day competing and putting up a good fight in a good sized tournament.

Vincent Vega

Smash Journeyman
No one is gonna make you stop playing Melee.

Edit: To the person below me, wow Brawl is much less technical than Melee. Maybe in a while we'll figure out more things but as of right now it's no where near as technical.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Way to jump on the "I am mad about Brawl's (supposed) loss of technical skill" bandwagon NOW.

It is not less technical, the techniques are just different. It has all new thing to make up for the missing old thing. I'm pretty sure learning to use stale moves diminishing attacks to effectively combo will take longer than mastering Lcanceling and wavedashing ever could.

Also, the game is not much slower, if you watch some of the newer vids posted by better players, it is actually quite fast, the air game is just floatier.

Wifi will not stop real tourneys. The Wifi is not very good and to play with all friends requires friend codes, which is a huge hassle.

The only thing anyone should be worried about with Brawl is tripping, and I don't think that will stop a competitive scene from arising.

If you don't like Brawl then keep playing Melee, no one is going to bother you about it.

Cpt Knee Cap

Smash Rookie
Yeah this takes me back... When halo 2 came out (doubt many people know what im talking about here. But i'll try to make sence of it.) Halo 1 was a accedent, just like melee no one intended either halo 1 or melee to be so personally skill based. Meaning an individual could be incredible good by mastering the flaws of the game. Halo 1 was a fluke. It Wasent suppose to be so fast paced with so many techniques to perfect puting you above the average player.( Just like melee.) Then with halo 2 they slowed the engine and physics so that it could played over xbl..(In nintendos case wi-fi.) I suspect Nintendo is doing the same thing with brawl.

So what nintendo more then likely did was completely drop melee's techical part knowing that the game will sell millions just based off of the title. (Besides that Nintendos target has never been the compeitive player. They target every one. Old people, Soccermoms, small children/people of all ages.)

Think about it with ssb for N64 you could only get so good, some charachters were given moves that were undefendable. Sheilding was completely wrong in so many ways, grabing was rediculas and once you were in the air you were practicle f^ckd depending on the level. They fixed many things in ssbm although it was ment ot have a limit, But didnt intend for things like wavedashing and L canceling. It was an accedent/complete luck.

Then again I could be completely wrong I havent played the game haha!
But It comes down one quote.
"If its not broken dont fix it."

Weed

Smash Lord
Way to jump on the "I am mad about Brawl's (supposed) loss of technical skill" bandwagon NOW.

It is not less technical, the techniques are just different. It has all new thing to make up for the missing old thing. I'm pretty sure learning to use stale moves diminishing attacks to effectively combo will take longer than mastering Lcanceling and wavedashing ever could.

Also, the game is not much slower, if you watch some of the newer vids posted by better players, it is actually quite fast, the air game is just floatier.

Wifi will not stop real tourneys. The Wifi is not very good and to play with all friends requires friend codes, which is a huge hassle.

The only thing anyone should be worried about with Brawl is tripping, and I don't think that will stop a competitive scene from arising.

If you don't like Brawl then keep playing Melee, no one is going to bother you about it.
I wouldn't call WiFi (or friend codes, to be more specific) a huge hassle, especially when it removes the need to travel across countries to play a single game..

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I wouldn't call WiFi (or friend codes, to be more specific) a huge hassle, especially when it removes the need to travel across countries to play a single game..
If you can get a decent connection going across a country, be sure to tell me, because according to the people who have the game so far, it's pretty terrible at any range farther than driving distance.

Stale moves also reduces hitstun which I would think reduces the ability to combo... If anything, we'll largely be learning to negate stale moves against our killing attacks because they're pretty limited in Brawl. The techniques are not different, because they had no similar base at all. They got rid of a bunch of them (wavedash, L-Cancel, JC grab, AERIALS WITH Z WTF) and put in a few completely new ones (edgehugging, air-dodge buffering).

The game is slower. Whether I watch vids of people playing or actually, you know, play the game myself, the game is slower. Not only that, but it's also much harder to control your traction and for some reason you have a chance of tripping during run now, so players in general are much less eager to move around quickly.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
im sure brawl will be awesome, but i just think that mastering the technical things was cool. if you have any videos of the stuff in brawl i would love to see it, because personally i really enjoyed researching and learning all the badass ways that people would find to kill your opponent. shdl, waveshine, drillshine, that kinda stuff.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Melee will inevitably become obsolete. However, it has become such a staple, I cannot see it becoming completely discontinued. As long as people keep playing it, it won't just get dropped. it may just be played less and less over time.

1UP

Smash Rookie
melee will still be around for people who only want to play with the 4 or 5 good characters on final D with no items. once wavedashing was discovered, and shine combos, pretty much every character was made useless for competition. but if you like a game where only a couple of the playable characters are usefull, dont throw away your melee disk

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
melee will still be around for people who only want to play with the 4 or 5 good characters on final D with no items. once wavedashing was discovered, and shine combos, pretty much every character was made useless for competition. but if you like a game where only a couple of the playable characters are usefull, dont throw away your melee disk
Brawl might turn out to be the same.
And also, most characters in melee are useful for competition. Most of them make good secondary mains.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
so, how's /v/ doing these days? Same old misconceptions i assume?

davemg

Smash Rookie
Melee is an amazing game and since I've started play alot recently, because brawls almost here, I think its sad that im finally wd in my combos. But to tell the truth we have no idea what the metagame of brawl is capable of. The mechanics of melee were found over the first 2 years of its release and I think brawl will be much the same. Will we get down to only 5or6 playable characters? I dont know but I do know that trying to discover broken combos , taking advantage of glitches and just trying to better your main is what makes the game fun.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Kids, this goes to show you that join date means absolutely nothing.

Fletch

Smash Master
Haha, I was initially guessing that he had a 2008 join date, and that you were actually supporting his post as correct, and I was very confused. Then I realized he's been around for years, yet still made a completely ignorant post, and I couldn't agree with your post more.

Banks

Smash Hero
Grade A ******.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
brawl isn't that much slower. watch the videos more closely or wait to play the game to really judge the speed and precision of the game

orintemple

Smash Lord
Haha, I was initially guessing that he had a 2008 join date, and that you were actually supporting his post as correct, and I was very confused. Then I realized he's been around for years, yet still made a completely ignorant post, and I couldn't agree with your post more.
Not only has he been around since 03, he also has 7 posts, since 03??!!

Miharu

Smash Hero
brawl isn't that much slower. watch the videos more closely or wait to play the game to really judge the speed and precision of the game
Actually, Brawl is that much slower.

How does someone with a February 2008 join date have 500 posts?

Fletch

Smash Master
And now we have the join date of 2008 to prove the other side of the spectrum.

But seriously, Brawl is MUCH slower than Melee, and not just in game speed, but with the removal of advanced techniques as well. I mean, just watch some videos or play the game, even the best players right now look like they're playing at a snail's pace as compared to Melee.

How does someone with a February 2008 join date have 500 posts?
He lives in Brawl discussion.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I am actually incredibly dissapointed in what may be happening to melee. With brawl coming out, everyone seems to believe that melee will basically become obsolete. That is very dissapointing. Im going to miss the speed and technical skill needed in melee. Now that they are slowing down brawl, and it would appear they took out WD and L-cancelling and such, it would seem that the game will be much less technically engaging. I was enjoying my time trying to perfect the waveshine, and the drillshine, and making sure i was able to l-cancel every airial i ever pulled. I was also loving watching and learning about all the badass melee players like M2K and Ken and PC Chris and Germ and all those people that would make every character look like the best and most fun character. Now that things are going to slow down, in my eyes it would seem that matches are going to be less fun to watch then they were before. I used to love getting on youtube and watching someone get waveshined into oblivion and then seeing M2K dominating some competitors based on his steadfast dedication to learning the technical side of melee. I am sure that brawl will kick ***, and i hope that the wifi doesnt mean that real tournaments will occur less often. I wanna walk into a big area where dozens of smash players are all anxiously awaiting their turn to test their mettle against some well tuned smashers. Im sure wifi will be awesome for training and practice and just plain fun, but I surely hope that things dont become too wifi based. It would suck to think that smash would fall from grace at MLG because all the sudden everyone gets all the smash they need on wifi. I'm sure im just being paranoid, but what i do know is i will still miss the speed and technical mastery that i used to enjoy watching and learning so much.

A true lover of melee,
-Southern Comfort-SOCO

its not that i will stop playing melee, nor do i beleive that everyone else will, i just enjoyed how professional play was seperated from intermediate because of the speed and techincal advancement they had. i hadnt started getting into smash until a few months ago, and spent rediculous amounts of time trying to improve with hopes of one day competing and putting up a good fight in a good sized tournament.
You aren't going to play Brawl, I think?

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Theres a pretty good tournament hoster around my area that's keeping Melee for his tourney's, maybe he's starting a revelation?!

JOIN FORCES

FORM-OF: THE MELEE HOSTERS!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I love melee. Brawl looks fun too. I plan on playing both atleast semi competitively regardless of what happens with melee's popularity. Seems kind of a waste of time to complain about either one of them. Just play what you feel like playing, it really is just a video game.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Hey, remember that time when wavedashing was discovered?

Good times, gooooood times.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well, like I always say, out with the stupid...

And out with the stupid.
<33 Kage

Well, like I always say, out with the rude...

And out with the rude.
You really didn't listen to the above quote before you posted.

Brawl> Melee.

You're allowed to have your own opinion and everything, it's just wrong if you think otherwise :)
Man everytime I see you post i want you to kill yourself.

Hey, remember that time when wavedashing was discovered?

Good times, gooooood times.

Hey remember that time when Sakura did everything he could to not make brawl competitive?

Good times, gooooooood times.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
No one is gonna make you stop playing Melee.
qft

actually tripping is more annoying than i thought it was gonna be

and ppl have been playing melee and were bothered b4. why would brawl change that?
Yeah this takes me back... When halo 2 came out (doubt many people know what im talking about here. But i'll try to make sence of it.) Halo 1 was a accedent, just like melee no one intended either halo 1 or melee to be so personally skill based. Meaning an individual could be incredible good by mastering the flaws of the game. Halo 1 was a fluke. It Wasent suppose to be so fast paced with so many techniques to perfect puting you above the average player.( Just like melee.) Then with halo 2 they slowed the engine and physics so that it could played over xbl..(In nintendos case wi-fi.) I suspect Nintendo is doing the same thing with brawl.
slowing down the game to be played online sounds like a john

also in halo they changed a lot more than "slow it down"
Melee will inevitably become obsolete.
i cant see that happening.
luvs to kage
more luvs to kage

Watch this vid then and tell me if the gameplay is slow then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_bL0phpiU
that was pathetic, no offense
Well, like I always say, out with the stupid...

And out with the stupid.
luvs to kage x3
I plan on playing both atleast semi competitively regardless of what happens with melee's popularity.
i dont agree with the phrase "semi competatively". play it at a pro lvl or a scrub lvl and live with ur decision

Top Bottom