• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Dissapointment!

Spife

Smash Master
That video was of the faster ones I've seen (and I'm no brawl vid expert but I have only looked up Sonic videos...) on the other hand that looks a lot like some low level play vids I have of a friend and myself in melee, lots of rolling, aerials as the majority of approaches (it looks like they just were throwing aerials out) and dash attacky. I don't have enough time to watch it more, that's just what I saw in the minute or so I saw.
Before I continue, that above paragraph was what I observed and I have enough intelligence to realize that Brawl doesn't have much of a high level of play yet, and without a spacing technique like wave dashing, rolling is in for prime play (or so it seems)

I love melee though, I wish I had more time to get better. I only started going to tournaments in december and have been to 3 and they were all awesome. I loved being technical in that game too (and I mained Link so I wasn't TOO Technical).

The problem with saying "no one's gonna stop you" is that a lot of people are. I like melee for the competition that tournament level brings us, if no one hosts tournies then no one will have a reason to play at that level so your left with sand bagging (it doesn't matter), not getting much better (there's no tourny to get better for, in theory), or not having a lot of people to play (tournies create a community).

I'm going to keep playing melee, atleast once a month, but I can't use a classic controller for melee (that thing feels so nice) and I kind of need a new controller..and I'm broke :( But the switch from melee to brawl was pretty hard for me, I assume from brawl to melee wouldn't be that hard but I think the games are too different to be able to switch between them flawlessly (for me atleast). I don't have a wii right now though so I can't play brawl anyway.

all of this was quickly typed so sorry for any and all errors in writing or thought process.

infernovia

Smash Ace
This is why I really hope we can either get a melee emulator going or we get an online melee.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
melee will still be around for people who only want to play with the 4 or 5 good characters on final D with no items. once wavedashing was discovered, and shine combos, pretty much every character was made useless for competition. but if you like a game where only a couple of the playable characters are usefull, dont throw away your melee disk
Of course, we're friendly to your stupid stereotyping ways here.

Yes, the no items part is true. Do you know what? Who gives a ****. Shut the **** up. I'm tired of hearing "no items" as if it's a necessarily bad thing. Ever heard of exploding barrels and capsules? An item can take you from getting owned to getting even. It breaks the balance. FD only? That's the DUMBEST stereotype ever. There are SIX random stages in Melee. SIX. Thats over infinite exponents of ONE, which you think is the only thing competitive players use.

gb2/v/, ***.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
I am so pissed about tripping.......why? It likes nintendo is throwing the middle finger to competitive players.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
i'd play melee if it were online. but right now, none of my friend want to play that anymore. oh well, they were never any good anyways. not even in brawl

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
This is why I really hope we can either get a melee emulator going or we get an online melee.
there is a game cube emulator called dolphin *i believe* I guess you need a pretty good pc to run it at full speed but then you could probably find a rom for melee. But I have also seen melee played online through P2P you can find guides online

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Wow I'm glad to see that there are still some melee faithful people around here I thought everyone had been brainwashed already. Anyways I'm still gonna get Brawl but to see it as a competitive game or to even see **** bein discovered for Brawl later in it's years is like havin an an aneurysm.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
There's no way Melee is going to go away. That's like saying Street Fighter Alpha went away because SF3 arrived.

But...it's hard to believe that Brawl will leave enough room for Melee to coexist perfectly.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Can't we all just get along? ****, what happened to being a general Smash community? Where did all this cattiness come from? We aren't 16 year old girls in different cliques, we're a bloody community. We should accept each other without needless dickery. I mean Christ people, I can understand the Brawl n00bs being jerks, but you have seniority. You guys were around before this site went to hell, and you've become no better than those who brought the site down quality wise. What happened to discovering all a game had to offer and being the coolest and most accepting fighting game scene? What happened to camaraderie? A new game comes out and you piss away the goodwill and hype last summer brought us?

I came to the Melee boards to escape the idiocy of Brawl's GD for this?

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Meh kinda hard to let stuff like that go when you constantly get Brawl n00bs floodin the threads with dumb *** remarks and they have no idea what they are talkin about. Although I've done no contributin to the insults I try to steer away from that stuff.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
well.....brawl is atleast better than.....smash64....
unless ur Isai
We aren't 16 year old girls in different cliques, we're a bloody community.

that sounds like a gang reference :)

also... u CAME to the melee boards? as in, u were in the brawl threads first? u shouldnt be saying anything then, no offense
Meh kinda hard to let stuff like that go when you constantly get Brawl n00bs floodin the threads with dumb *** remarks and they have no idea what they are talkin about. Although I've done no contributin to the insults I try to steer away from that stuff.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
Can't we all just get along? ****, what happened to being a general Smash community? Where did all this cattiness come from? We aren't 16 year old girls in different cliques, we're a bloody community. We should accept each other without needless dickery. I mean Christ people, I can understand the Brawl n00bs being jerks, but you have seniority. You guys were around before this site went to hell, and you've become no better than those who brought the site down quality wise. What happened to discovering all a game had to offer and being the coolest and most accepting fighting game scene? What happened to camaraderie? A new game comes out and you piss away the goodwill and hype last summer brought us?

i dont check up on the boards very often has something bad happened since brawl. thank you for tolerating my stupid question

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
It's a trend of life. People are afraid of change, pure and simple. Brawl has changed gameplay mechanics a fair amount, and people don't like it. Those who are open minded are already accepting the changes and soon enough others will start to come around. Once those with a pull in the community start to accept the changes then the "turnover" will become faster, and only those who are close minded will continue to whine.

Deal with it.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
It's a trend of life. People are afraid of change, pure and simple. Brawl has changed gameplay mechanics a fair amount, and people don't like it. Those who are open minded are already accepting the changes and soon enough others will start to come around. Once those with a pull in the community start to accept the changes then the "turnover" will become faster, and only those who are close minded will continue to whine.

Deal with it.
People who say anything along those lines of that last sentence generally don't have anything truly intelligent to say. For one just because somethin new comes out doesn't mean you have to switch to it when the newest shoes come out, you don't go out waste 100 dollars just to go get them when you have a perfectly good pair still on your feet same applies with Brawl. I have the ****in game it blows compared to Melee. It's not that I don't accept change, the changes that have been made have been made to the game have been ****ty ones. Generally when you make a sequel to a game you go for better and this is not the case for Brawl. They've dumbed down everything to the point where your grandma or your newborn son can pick up the game and play it and stand a chance. Moves are very choppy and it doesn't flow nearly as smoothly as Melee does and linking moves together for a combo are obsolete. The floatiness of the game makes it slow and awkward and makes the matches boring as hell to play and watch. Online capabilities will be the only thing to keep this game alive in the future and should only be seen as a party game at this point.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Hahahahahahah!

Oh god, seriously, that was the funniest thing I've ever read. Thanks, I seriously needed that laugh ^^

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Lol yeah I've heard of such things.

@Tsuteto - Yeah pretty childish. You're only laughin because you know it's true. Well you proved my point on unintelligent people responding with dumb one sentence responses.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Or, you know, vice versa. Because I didn't give you a direct answer, you, therefore, deem my response childish and unintelligent. To me, unless you're given straight out answers, then you become frustrated and deem the point of frustration not worth your time.

Going back to my point, you're the close minded type of person. Did I say that the previous game would become obsolete? No. It's what you believed me to say, and therefore, are assuming I've said only. If you think about it, then I only stated that it takes time to adjust to change. Nothing more, nothing less. You know why people are afraid of change? Because it never turns out as expected. Everyone creates a thought as to what it will turn out to be, only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Going back to what the OP said, he seems to me to be closer to the open minded end. He's realized the point of change, but doesn't really want to go with it seeing as he's been working with the "old" for a small time and is afraid of that becoming obsolete. To anyone reading this, it is of my opinion that melee will NOT become obsolete. Someone compared SF Alpha to it's "successor," and that is the same case here. In a way, I can almost see that Brawl becomes the draw point, and later they get introduced to Melee and the scene kicks up again, just differently.

My comparison of Brawl and Melee: Brawl does flow more. Melee is choppy, but we're so used to it it flows to us, but visually it does not. It's jagged as all hell. The speed, however, is far quicker than that of Brawl because of them making the game more mainstream, not tournament position. We may discover a new technique here and there and become "reinterested," but the reality of the fact is that Brawl is much more newbie friendly (there is a difference between noob and newb folks, in case you didn't know). Melee will always be more geared for the pros of the game, either game, but they both take a different approach. The only similarities that the games share are the controls, the setting, and basic gameplay. The advanced areas are different, some altered, some removed, and others discovered.

You're all judging far too quickly. If the game ever kicked off to a huge hit, those who have judged the game as a final opinion already will be far behind in the scene.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Where did make a reference to you sayin that Melee will be obsolete? I was makin a reference to how you think Brawl will replace Melee not make it obsolete. And what's your logic behind close minded people not accepting Brawl and open minded people accepting Brawl? I have to be open minded to accept it? That doesn't make sense to me, I've played the game I have it as a matter of fact and after playin it I just don't like it as much as Melee. Me bein closed minded would be me not playin the game and sayin all the bad stuff about Brawl before I even play it. Lol these arguments can go on and on and on, there can never be an agreement on anything.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Eh, somewhat of an assumption of mine, just like you've done with me. It happens to all of us. And I didn't say that close minded people can't accept it, they're just on the far end of accepting it, so it'd take awhile. I've already had a few intense matches with friends, and we're in no way the "noobs" that most of the people talk about. The game just needs time to be adjusted to, not straight out "this game sucks" deal. I don't think it'll ever be the tournament level like melee was that everyone seems to have wanted the game to be, but I do think it'll be competitive in the long run, just with a different focus that could, in turn, make melee a bit more competitive.

Top Bottom