• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How's my Zelda?

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
Your zelda is ok. i mean, granted you won bith times but your opponents either suicided or blew! lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Watch a lot of DarkMusician and other various Zelda players in the Video Archive.....I can tell you haven't played Brawl very long and you have a lot to catch up on if you want to get better.

You need to use a lot of dtilt and a lot more nair for starters.

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
Watch a lot of DarkMusician and other various Zelda players in the Video Archive.....I can tell you haven't played Brawl very long and you have a lot to catch up on if you want to get better.

You need to use a lot of dtilt and a lot more nair for starters.
naw man. dont listen to him. those moves help out some but they wont work on every player so dont use alot of them. trust me. im a beast zelda! :) lol

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Do you have any idea as to what the hell you're talking about? Dtilt and nair won't work on "every player"? Do you even know how important those moves are to Zelda's metagame? Apparently you don't after having said that. I don't think you're a "beast" Zelda at all, even without video proof. You sound like a fair/bair/smash attack spamming Zelda with tons of Din's Fire and a lucky lightning kick follow-up from a Dthrow because of how badly your opponents suck.

Seriously, get better at knowing your character's really useful/necessary moves or go play someone else. If you don't use dtilt to set up your attacks and start combos (or even the infamous and very damaging dtilt lock) and if you simply do not use nair against good players, you're going to get *****. Period. End of discussion.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Do you have any idea as to what the hell you're talking about? Dtilt and nair won't work on "every player"? Do you even know how important those moves are to Zelda's metagame? Apparently you don't after having said that. I don't think you're a "beast" Zelda at all, even without video proof. You sound like a fair/bair/smash attack spamming Zelda with tons of Din's Fire and a lucky lightning kick follow-up from a Dthrow because of how badly your opponents suck.
Seriously, get better at knowing your character's really useful/necessary moves or go play someone else. If you don't use dtilt to set up your attacks and start combos (or even the infamous and very damaging dtilt lock) and if you simply do not use nair against good players, you're going to get *****. Period. End of discussion.
Raph you just described my Zelda!

But nah I think he just made a bad joke and was just messing around.....if he wasn't then I completely agree.....GTFO if you think dtilt and nair aren't important to a Zelda players game.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Not bad, just try d-tilt.

I can see what u mean about d-tilt being player dependent, some players can DI & roll away after the first hit. Some put up shield, some roll behind, & some can attack after the first hit, but maybe I just have my d-tilt lock frames wrong.

Nair is very useful on platforms, in the air, & beats spot dodgers, also good OoS for a small escape or on big characters like Rob or DK.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
You have your frames wrong most likely. Dtilt is character dependant - and she starts to get setups post 50%. Always always dsmash at the end of every dtilt if you feel the character can attack or put up a shield. But she has a ton of setups from a dtilt at later percents (around 50+%)

It's her best move by far =O

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Nice ending on the Fox vid ^ ^

Watched the vids first, then saw what everyone else had to say, then watched them again. And wow, are they all right (cept for u Mr. T, u get no cookie) about needing more dtilt and nair. I counted at least 3 instances in each vid (especially after Usmash --> Usmash on Fox) where Nair was a better option than what you had chosen.
And Dtilt locks on most characters from about 50-60% til around 110, after which they bounce up at the perfect height for Utilt/Usmash. If a couple of those Dsmashes in the Fox vid had taken advantage of the Dtilt lock first, they'd have been KOs for sure.
Otherwise you seem OK, work on spacing/timing Uair a little better, I noticed a few whiffed Uairs (though they may have simply been mindgames/pressure/what have you). Overall, you're on your way to a kickass Zelda. ^ ^

If only my "rate my zelda" thread had gotten this much attention T_T

Kizetsu

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Been implementing Dtilt and Nair into my game. They really are the keys to Zelda.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Stop spamming Uairs. And stop doing moves randomly when there's nothing else to do. Also play more defensively. Zelda has no place advancing on the opponent, especially GaW (which is the only video I watched)

Other than that, fine I suppose.

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman

nope. thats a lie. tand the only reason i have no video proof is cause i have no camera. im telling you. you dont need those attacks. plus, if every zelda player did the same moves, everyone would beast us. and i never said they werent useful, i just said they arent against everyone, which is true.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
nope. thats a lie. tand the only reason i have no video proof is cause i have no camera. im telling you. you dont need those attacks. plus, if every zelda player did the same moves, everyone would beast us. and i never said they werent useful, i just said they arent against everyone, which is true.
No one's saying to use dtilt or nair exclusively, just that they're good moves. Obviously you don't want to use the same approach options every time because it makes you too predictable. IMO the best Zelda players are the ones who use everything she has going for her, which definitely includes dtilt and nair.

Out of curiosity, which characters do you think those moves aren't useful against? I've always found a use for them in my matchups.

Volts

Smash Cadet
Yeah it looks like you have been practicing. But I think you should start using her jabs(A) and he neutral airs a bit more often. Jabs are good at canceling and neutral air is pretty nasty.

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
No one's saying to use dtilt or nair exclusively, just that they're good moves. Obviously you don't want to use the same approach options every time because it makes you too predictable. IMO the best Zelda players are the ones who use everything she has going for her, which definitely includes dtilt and nair.

Out of curiosity, which characters do you think those moves aren't useful against? I've always found a use for them in my matchups.
this is true. they do come in handy every now and then, but unless you can get a d-tilt lock on the character i would only suggest using them once or twice. By the way, characters who can get out of down tilt- all star fox characters and peach for sure but i dont know about many other people.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
this is true. they do come in handy every now and then, but unless you can get a d-tilt lock on the character i would only suggest using them once or twice. By the way, characters who can get out of down tilt- all star fox characters and peach for sure but i dont know about many other people.
The only characters who can escape the lock are DK and Samus.

You need to have the optimum decay and enemy percentage to be able to initiate the lock, otherwise characters with quick jabs can escape it.

It works at around 50% on average between the whole cast -- it works earlier on jiggs and later on bowser so it might have something to do with weight.

I can't stress enough though - don't just use the lock... simply dtilt once when you've got the right percents and decay and use another move... it builds up damage faster, allows you to still have enough hitstun from dtilt to do it again, and is great for mixups.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I found the biggest problem was throwing out moves that needn't have been used. Often you would do an Usmash that would only have hit if they had decided to fast fall right into it.

As said before, more Nair and Dtilt would open more options. It isn't always those moves inthemselves which are great, but often the options you get to follow it up. A Nair could just give you a second to help stop a combo and reach the ground, or you could follow a Dtilt up with a smash.

Top Bottom