• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How you hold your controller when playing melee

ipreferpi

Smash Apprentice
not posted in the brawl section because many people in the brawl suck lolololololo also brawl is less technical and shiz

I'm just wondering how everyone holds their controllers when playing Melee.
Left ring&pinky and right middle&ring&pinky to controller base thingy
Left middle to L button (not that I ever use it (I should start using it though or buy a new controller because now my R button is being dumb >:( ))
Left pointer&thumb to control stick (lolwut) and +pad
Right pointer to R/Z (pssh, real men grab with shield+a) button
Right thumb to a/b/x/y/c

(I figure I'm doing something wrong (WELL BESIDES THE FACT THAT MY REFLEXES ARE HORRENDOUS GO AWAY) because I suck at technical stuffs :< LOL HOW DO I DO SHDOUBLEFAIR W/MARFFFF)

wait I think i should've used the search button i think my thread will be locked soon :<

Zodiac

Smash Master
the normal way, but you really have to think about the combonations your pressing when your learning the faster stuff otherwise you'll press them all out of sync and just stand still

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Left pointer&thumb to control stick (lolwut) and +pad
Wait, you use your left pointer AND your thumb to use the analog stick?

lolwut indeed!

There's your problem, use your left pointer for L, which is the most popular out of the two (L or R) for Shielding, Wavedashing, and more advanced techs, whereas R is usually used to wavedash out of a shield, along with a couple of other AT's. Keep your thumb by itself for the analog stick, as for the d-pad, ( + pad ), you're not going to need that for anything else besides taunting...

Long story short. DONT USE YOUR **** POINTER FOR THE ANALOG :mad::bee::mad:

--The MOP

VEEN

Smash Journeyman
Right thumb: A,B,X,Y and D-pad
Left Thumb: Stick and start
Right point finger: R and Z
Left point finger: L

Rest of fingers on the back of my controller for support. I think the most people do this.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Right thumb: A, B, Y, C stick
Right pointer: Z
Left Thumb: Control stick, D-pad
Left pointer: L

BlackPanther

Smash Ace

lolwut indeed!

There's your problem, use your left pointer for L, which is the most popular out of the two (L or R) for Shielding, Wavedashing, and more advanced techs, whereas R is usually used to wavedash out of a shield, along with a couple of other AT's. Keep your thumb by itself for the analog stick, as for the d-pad, ( + pad ), you're not going to need that for anything else besides taunting...

--The MOP
Uh Colbol does the same thing. You obviously haven't heard of him though he's from Florida and he's more technical than more than 7/8 of the people here when you watch him in person he moves it like he's holding a mini joystick from the arcades or somethin, it's ****in sick lookin lol.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
more like more technical than 7.8/7.9 people

but colbol is a wild man.

m2k also has strange claw technique where he has his right pointer on Y and thumb on A/C-stick so he can bust aerials immediately after jumping.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Uh Colbol does the same thing. You obviously haven't heard of him though he's from Florida and he's more technical than more than 7/8 of the people here when you watch him in person he moves it like he's holding a mini joystick from the arcades or somethin, it's ****in sick lookin lol.
Yes, but that's one person, and he's a crazy pro (or at least pro-am)

He's asking for traditional technique in comparison to his, not this abstract technique used only by one person, Colbol, and yes I have heard of him. -- All though this post may sound saucy, I mean it in the most formal terms. :)

--The MOP

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
I personnally use R for shielding, rolling and stuff. It's been what I'm trying to learn to wavedash with..... mabye that's why I can't do it for $#!%....... any suggestions? and yeah, It sounds like your grip is messed up. I'm not sure, cause I don't have a controler handy, but I think I use only my thumbs on the front. After that, it's pretty self explanatory. Clawing sounds pretty sick, though.

waveshinespike

Smash Cadet
errm
i have a weird grip on my controller

i have right pointer on y
right thumb for b a and c stick
right pointer for z
right middle for R
feet for analog (lol jk, i use thee left thumbz)
i dont use L.. unless i need to wavedash 3-4 times with marth or somebody else with long wavedashes then i use my left pointer
i use a clawish type hold on it >: D

also FTW!! i read up and i hold my controller just like m2k!!!

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
I'll try M2Ks way. See what's so good about it that made the great M2K use it.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I hold my left hand normally.
On my right hand though, i hold my pointer over the z button and my middle finger over the R button. OVER it, not on it, so I cant reach it and thereby not use it in anyway. The GC controllers are way to small lol

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Right Thumb: x,y,a,c-stick,b
Right Index: r,z
Left Thumb: control stick, D-Pad
Left Index: l

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Usually for all games i hold it like this..

Left Hand:
Thumb - Control Stick
Middle - L (Don't use for smash for some reason)

Right Hand:
Middle - R
Pointer - Z
Thumb - C stick, A, B, X (don't usually use in smash) and Y

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I hold it normally, but BUTTON allocations...

I use X to jump, R to shield/WD, Z/A/and C-stick for aerials (Z for quick aerials, like if I'm wanting to do like, sh-bair-jump-fair-fair with marth), and I don't use Y and L at all.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
more like more technical than 7.8/7.9 people

but colbol is a wild man.

m2k also has strange claw technique where he has his right pointer on Y and thumb on A/C-stick so he can bust aerials immediately after jumping.
M2K doesn't claw 99% of the time, I've seen him use it for SHDL spamming but most of the time he uses a regular grip.

This is how I hold the controller:
right index: Y
right middle: Z
right ring: R
right thumb: A, B, C-stick

This allows quicker access to the buttons and makes a lot of techs easier. The downside is that some people can't adapt to this style (feels awkward or hurts their hands) and a few techniques are more difficult, mainly short-hopping. It took me ****ing forever before I could short hop with Fox clawing.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I hold it normally, but BUTTON allocations...

I use X to jump, R to shield/WD, Z/A/and C-stick for aerials (Z for quick aerials, like if I'm wanting to do like, sh-bair-jump-fair-fair with marth), and I don't use Y and L at all.
What this guy said except no Z.

Chab

Smash Cadet

lolwut indeed!

--The MOP
i know this is old . but whenever i wanna wavedash OoS . I hold R and wavedash with L. even tho i use L for everything else. (Shielding) etc. feels so good to hold R-> wavedash then upsmash OoS

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
He holds the controller like this when playing melee also. I'd say he's a top 10 player in Texas.

brollylegs is probably the most talented and best handicap player I have ever seen. His Chun Li in street fighter is amazing. If you follow the holiday edition of mike ross and gootecks excellent adventures this past year they ran into him on xboxlive. They lost to him. Then again Mike Ross always loses.

lil2GutZ

Smash Rookie
*Right hand
-Thumb: a, b, y, c-stick, start (don't use x)
-Index: z
-Middle: R (Not used mostly)

*Left Hand
-Thumb: Control Stick, d-pad
-Index: Nothing (similar position to right index)
-Middle: L (used for almost everything)

The ring and pinky for both hands I use to grip the back of the controller. Works for me playing every game with a GameCube controller including melee

Byxis65

Smash Rookie
Yes, but that's one person, and he's a crazy pro (or at least pro-am)

He's asking for traditional technique in comparison to his, not this abstract technique used only by one person, Colbol, and yes I have heard of him. -- All though this post may sound saucy, I mean it in the most formal terms. :)

--The MOP
Milkman, the number 3 in MDVA does the same, as do I. Given I'm not pro by any means, I'm still more technical than most of my town and I have no trouble with it.

Celestial EnZy

Smash Rookie
Right thumb: A,B,X,Y and D-pad
Left Thumb: Stick and start
Right point finger: R and Z
Left point finger: L

Rest of fingers on the back of my controller for support. I think the most people do this.
Is that the normal way when playing competitive or using advanced techniques? Im just starting to learn to play melee competitivley but i dont know if everyone holds their controller like the way you explained or a different way :/

bladesmc

Smash Rookie
Left hand:
  • Pointer - L
  • Thumb - Stick
  • Middle, Ring, Pinky - Grip the controller
Right hand:
  • Pointer - R and Z
  • Thumb - A, B, Y, X, and C stick

taz3141

Smash Rookie
I hold the controller two different ways (Depending on Character)

Peach Grip
Left hand:
  • Pointer - L
  • Thumb - Stick
Right hand:
  • Pointer - Y and Z
  • Thumb - A, B, X, and C stick
  • Middle - R and Z
  • Ring, Pinky - Grip the controller
I use this grip to allow me to access the c-stick while floating.

Grip for all other characters
Left hand:
  • Pointer - L
  • Thumb - Stick
Right hand:
  • Pointer - R and Z
  • Thumb - A, B, Y, X, and C stick

Top Bottom