• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you handle my friend?

Cupcake12

Smash Rookie
My friend is just ungodly good, whatever game he plays he ownes at I just want to here some opions on how to take him down for the first time. I also know that this might be easy for some of you more experienced players but its impossible for me. His gamer name is CYKO.

Check out some of his videos here and see.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=slickback102

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
My friend is just ungodly good, whatever game he plays he ownes at I just want to here some opions on how to take him down for the first time. I also know that this might be easy for some of you more experienced players but its impossible for me. His gamer name is CYKO.

Check out some of his videos here and see.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=slickback102
Just to make sure, he is CYKO right?

Cupcake12

Smash Rookie
Well to you he may not be good but I've never beat him, but since he's not good what are his flaws then?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
There's no way to tell how good your friend is since he's playing against computers but he doesn't look good at all.

Just shieldgrab his @$$.

Cupcake12

Smash Rookie
There's no way to tell how good your friend is since he's playing against computers but he doesn't look good at all.

Just shieldgrab his @$$.
Yeah well there is this one video when I versing him but that was a while ago but I'll start trying that. thanks

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
yeah he sucks... i suggest you play sheik against him. shieldgrab, downthrow, then follow his roll and downsmash. do that for a while and you'll beat him in no time!

Ensee

Smash Ace
Wow this kid is pitiful, for one thing he is (and I'm being serious) a complete NOOB. His second jump got ***** while he was off the stage and he complained "Where was my jump?!?!" in one of the videos. I only watched one, and he is terrible. Might I suggest telling us your character you use, and what he uses against you? That would extremely help us in deciding what to tell you.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
You don't need to switch characters, Fox is more than a match for Link. If he's not going to use his projectiles you should be able to dictate the match easily and even if he is you can still win by utilizing your speed. I suggest you read the sticky thread on shffl, wd, etc.

Edit: Go to the character specific section and read up on Fox. Don't try to incorporate too many things into your game at once, but try to shine him a lot for starters. He's not very good-- if your goal is to beat him ASAP just shine him a lot and spam blasters. If you are trying to get better at the game learn the advanced techniques and practice them.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
Or Continously Upsmash Wen Ever Hes In Ur Vicinity. Wens He Not Continune To Shoot Him In The Face. Wen Hes Off The Map While Trying To Recover Jump On To Him Basically And Press Down B This Will Spike Him Then B-up And Survive Til Like 170%
Noob Strats- By Thn

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
Isn't it harder to capitalize every word than not?

EDIT: On topic, the easiest way to stop him would be to shield-grab, because he definitely isn't shffl'ing yet, so he won't be able to shine you before you grab him. Even just one simple mindgame could help you immensely. Dash-dance to jump-cancelled (or even just a dash) grab would probably work this guys life.

EDIT 2: I just watched the most recent vid, and he is at least L-cancelling now, but you shouldn't have any problems with him if you're patient.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Wow, I mean, jesus. I could 4 (well 5 if you play that way) stock his marth, falco, whomever with Roy.

I really dont know how you cant beat him to be honest, put up some video's of yourself THEN we can kinda sorta help you, unless you have a video of you 2 playing...

I really think my little brother could beat him, well he is 12th in the state and I am 6th...Ok I got it, I think the 3rd best in the state, HIS 10 year old little brother that plays Metroid Prime on his DS can beat him in smash.
No still not extreme enough, MY 8 year old brother that doesnt play smash, and when he does only uses forward b into up b and smash attacks could be him.
God ****it, still not extreme enough.
If anybody has anything more extreme than that, post it, because I really cant think of anything else.

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
Congrat-u-****ing-lations, you're better than this guy. Maybe you should help him get better instead berating him for how bad he is. The way I figure it, this guy hasn't seen much as far as pro players go, and because of that, he thought his friend was really good. I think it's a fallacy of logic, but you can't blame him for it.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Congrat-u-****ing-lations, you're better than this guy. Maybe you should help him get better instead berating him for how bad he is. The way I figure it, this guy hasn't seen much as far as pro players go, and because of that, he thought his friend was really good. I think it's a fallacy of logic, but you can't blame him for it.
Well we're here to help Cupcake12, not the guy that has been beating him every game. Since Cupcake12 made up the thread and he's the one that needs the most help from us, of course we are helping him.

Chitose

Smash Rookie
LOL at most recent vid. Seriously, everytime he tells us how quick he did the last kill, it just makes me think, who is he trying to impress?

cupcake, you just need to find someone else you can play with and get trained up. you wont be beating him instantly no matter what anybody tells you, its going to take work, practice and dedication. I can only reccomend trying to find other (better) players and learn from them. oh yeah, and watch pro videos. They give you lots of ideas for combo's and techniques.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Don't be predictable. Watching his match against whoever Anthony is, it seems like CYKO just knows what the other guy's gonna do, just like he would know what the CPU would do. Honestly, he plays like his opponent is a CPU. All you have to do is, with whatever due respect, L2P please.

I know how it is be unable to beat someone who really isn't that good. The only way to win is to get better yourself. If you really want to beat this guy, you should have no trouble doing your homework and practicing up.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Im Telling U Man Upsmash Like Hell He Wont Be Able To Stop It.

don't just spam attacks. it will probably help you beat him faster, but it won't do you much good in the long run. just practice, watching pro videos isn't a bad idea, but it may make you try to play better than you are capable of playing. read the sticky about l-cancel, shffl etc and watch those videos.

gtCYKO

Smash Rookie
Hey whats up guys...I am the one this whole discussion is about....I am new to this site, but I want to clear a few things up first...

1. The person saying how long it took for a specific kill wasn't me, it was my friend talking....So no I am not trying to impress anybody.

2. I already know I am not the best Super Smash Bros player, but I find it humorous that some would stoop so low as to call me a nOOb, just cause I was playing against CPUs and practicing Marth's Sword Dance spike.....I have beaten a tournament player before, and the only thing he told me was I was lacking Experience....but thats not all...Yes I have just got finished practicing the Shuffle, as you all like to call it...getting better is a slow process and I take it one step at a time....

3. I noticed some people actually said that you can't really tell how good someone is by watching them beat CPUs, but I guess not very many people payed much attention to that...Most advanced tactics are not even worth doing against a CPU because they have the unparalleled ability to Counter, but playing another human is a different story.....

4. My buddy Cupcake12 aka Anthony, has asked me to help him learn how to Wavedash and L-cancel properly over the weekend, and I am going to help him so that one day, he might possibly beat me...but most of the people who call me a nOOb, are just overexxagerating, because a nOOb wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do any advanced tactics, or even play the game....

I think I pretty much covered what I wanted to say, oh and spare me the absurd comments...

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
I guess the real question for you is this:

Why even make and post videos online of yourself playing computers? On top of that, why make dumb comments about how bad you own the computer in the video description?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Hey whats up guys...I am the one this whole discussion is about....I am new to this site, but I want to clear a few things up first...

1. The person saying how long it took for a specific kill wasn't me, it was my friend talking....So no I am not trying to impress anybody.

2. I already know I am not the best Super Smash Bros player, but I find it humorous that some would stoop so low as to call me a nOOb, just cause I was playing against CPUs and practicing Marth's Sword Dance spike.....I have beaten a tournament player before, and the only thing he told me was I was lacking Experience....but thats not all...Yes I have just got finished practicing the Shuffle, as you all like to call it...getting better is a slow process and I take it one step at a time....
It means nothing to have beaten a "tournament player." It was probably someone who had attended a tournament before. I'm sorry, but that doesn't prove ****.

3. I noticed some people actually said that you can't really tell how good someone is by watching them beat CPUs, but I guess not very many people payed much attention to that...Most advanced tactics are not even worth doing against a CPU because they have the unparalleled ability to Counter, but playing another human is a different story.....
Uhh, yes they are. Your point is irrelevant, since you adopt the same playing style regardless of who your opponent. And IMO, you can't tell how good someone is when you watch them play CPU's, only how bad they are.

4. My buddy Cupcake12 aka Anthony, has asked me to help him learn how to Wavedash and L-cancel properly over the weekend, and I am going to help him so that one day, he might possibly beat me...but most of the people who call me a nOOb, are just overexxagerating, because a nOOb wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do any advanced tactics, or even play the game....
No, that is not the case at all. A noob might know advanced techs, but it doesn't discredit the fact that they're still a noob, unexperienced in the ways of the game. Recently, my friend came to me with an issue; it was some cocky noob at school who wouldn't keep his mouth shut. This kid, a freshman, thinks he's some hot **** because he can WD, chainthrow, and beat all of his friends. These two hate each other, but apparently they know each other through family. And the issue is, the kid constantly talks trash, even gets into fights over SSBM (physical ones, mind you), and thinks he can beat DBR. We go to different schools, so I'm heading over there on Friday to settle it, since the kid won't play my friend because he thinks "it's not worth his time." Point is, you may know advance techs, but that's basic knowledge once you delve into this side of SSBM.

I think I pretty much covered what I wanted to say, oh and spare me the absurd comments...
Well, you should be expecting it, seeing that you post vids of yourself playing against level 9 comps. Word of advice: don't do that anymore. Beating a level 9 comp shows nothing special, and doesn't help your overall improvement as a player as much as a real match against a human would.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
stop berating him for posting a vid against the comp; it's just as good as f laming.

so this post isn't worthless:
@gtCYKO: way to go helping out cupcake12, it's in the spirit of the forums. we should be assisting those who ask for help, not telling them how bad they are.

gtCYKO

Smash Rookie
I am not trying to make any enemies here, let alone did I recall playing against CPUs made people bad....I could care less of some random guy saying "YEA dude I am the best at Smash", I run into those people and beat them all the time....

Fact is, it makes people look really pathetic about how serious they are making this....I am not as fortunate as the most of you that have actual humans to play against, but that doesn't mean I suck....If you don't like the idea of me playing against CPUs for my spare time, then don't watch the video, cause the videos prove nothing of a persons true skill, just mine or anyone elses form of entertainment, and the tournament guy attended a lot of tournaments not just one thank you.

You can go ahead and continue to call me a nOOb all you like, but that doesn't mean every last one of you can beat me...

Chitose

Smash Rookie
LOL at most recent vid. Seriously, everytime he tells us how quick he did the last kill, it just makes me think, who is he trying to impress?

cupcake, you just need to find someone else you can play with and get trained up. you wont be beating him instantly no matter what anybody tells you, its going to take work, practice and dedication. I can only reccomend trying to find other (better) players and learn from them. oh yeah, and watch pro videos. They give you lots of ideas for combo's and techniques.
Hey cyko, would like to apologise for this little misunderstanding.

If your training, I would recommend practicing stuff out on cupcake rather than level 9's. If you have to use CPU's though, either go on training mode or level 1's. When playing cupcake however, I would say that you should teach him 1 technique at a time and get him to integrate it into his playing style before learning other techniques, the most important technique being l-cancelling, which he should learn first.

My advice to cupcake: focus on learning techniques and strategy before even thinking about beating cyko. Try and spot where he leaves himself open and try to take advantage of that. Even just seeing it, but unable to react in time, is good because you can learn to predict it in future games.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Advanced how to play[/URL]<-- vids for technical tricks
2) Go watch some vids of good players for advanced strategies ^_^
3) Play eachother instead of lvl 9 cpu's >_> (and record and post vids so we can comment on it :) )

And last, welcome to the forums

Wow, I mean, jesus...<insults>...cant think of anything else.
This was completely unnecessary.

Anyone insulting Cyko or Cupcake's instead of posting advice will be slapped with a warning for spam.
So either post something useful or don't even bother posting at all.

gtCYKO

Smash Rookie
I am glad to see that you guys understand my way....I have another friend that I play that is way better than my buddy Cupcake12, I am suprised he is as good as he is when he doesn't use Adv. Tactics.....but enough about that now....

I guess I will clear most of the fuss and tell you the characters I use...

1. Mario
2. Marth
3. Falco
4. Link

If that helps in any way that is good.

I am curious, what was the toughest person you have ever played?(This question is for everybody)

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im not impressed, answering the question, my friend saber (saberhof here in the boards), hes a falco player too and hes way better he can do prety much all the advance moves, lik Wd and shffl, tough hes still cant master the shffl completely, hes my best bud and kinda like my rival :p so yeah hes the toughest guy ive faced, he'll spike me when I dont even c it coming XD...

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Cupcak12 And Cyko it would really be something... if you guys really got out there and became well known smashers... That would make looking back on this funny

full_95

Smash Journeyman
yo dudes, i watched a couple of vids. i applaud your teachery cyko (ive been tryin to teach my roommates for a while now, but they are quintessential noobs) but keep workin hard at it and you guys will get good. and like others have said, try to learn one tech at a time so you dont drown yourself (metaphorically speaking) with the multitude of techniques. i would start with either the L cancel or teching. then use that to learn shffling, cupcake (you already know how to do that stuff right cyko?).

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
lol. learn to shffl in order first. ShortHopFastFallLcancel. watch the advanced how to play vids. th ey do wonders.

gtCYKO

Smash Rookie
To answer your question full_95, Yes I do know how to do all that stuff....I am gonna practice because I already recognize where I am flawed, I am practicing the shuffle, but that is not the only thing I need to work on...some of my buddies who I try to teach things are coming over right now....I don't own a camera, so I can't post our vids, but I will try to get some Human vs. Human vids up soon....

Top Bottom