• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ -ACE- -ACE- Does the slant just require a more diagonal motion on the stick for the waveland? I could see how the slanted edge would cause you to jump a little higher over the stage and airdodge instead, if your waveland motion is more toward the horizontal.
No the slant doesn't require a more diagonal motion. I have a suspicion that you have to be closer to the stage to waveland at all because of it (so for a RLD, you would have to hold forward slightly longer before snapping back and hitting R/L). It just feels that way. I'm not 100% sure.

Linguini

Smash Master
I've never been much good at the rld and only do it when i'm in the lead lul. Surprisingly I even sucked at the ledgedash and it took me like a year to get it down 100%.

Fadeback fair off of accidental jump is pretty good like caps said and a lot of players aren't used to it

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
what do you guys think about approaching with shffl'd up-airs, aiming to hit a grounded opponent with the beginning hitbox on the way up?

They seem pretty good, but I'm finding it hard to consistently hit them (missing since I start it too late and whiff above their heads). Also they seem to be pretty unsafe when shielded, but maybe I'm not spacing them right? Sometimes jabbing after works.

I try to surprise opponents who are retreating/camping with them, since they're pretty much the fastest thing you can do out of a dash, and they have a deceptive range.
Rarely is low enough to hit most characters in neutral, even if frame perfect. Pretty good on big characters, but generally when you're already that close you could be applying other pressure that is less commital imo (like ftilt).
one more spam post before I turn in for the night.

I find that I get 'stuck' often in my grab. What I mean is, I'll get the grab, then try to throw, except... I don't. Then I wiggle the control stick in confusion/annoyance a bit and end up forward or back-throwing instead of down throwing, and losing a possible punish in the process.

Another thing I have trouble with sometimes is doing ledge hops, since I end up doing the tourney winner, which has won me many tourneys. My friend has quipped before 'reset to neutral', maybe that's what I need to do, but my question is, do you think the grab thing is a symptom of the same problem? Should I slow down and let the stick reset to neutral before throwing, possibly giving the other player a fraction of a second longer to think and input DI?

What do you guys do to avoid this, if it even happens to you?
Your friend is right. If you grab ledge while the joystick is in a non-neutral position then you won't drop from ledge with down or away on the joystick unless you release it to neutral first. Not sure if grab throws are the same way, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. Try throwing with c-stick, you might like it.
I heavily endorse the practice of the chaingrab, but the only way the chaingrab is worth it is if you have a high level of proficiency with it. Until your skill with it is high enough to put someone offstage off the folowup 50% of the time, it's not worth doing. If you go for a tech chase every single time or a guaranteed followup, you can achieve these odds.
Well clearly if you are just going to miss the regrab then going for the tech chase is going to get you a better punish at the moment. But how will anyone get good at the CG if they say "well I'm more consistent with the tech chase, so I'll keep doing that instead"? Play to learn, not to win. That's my mentality anyways. Let's ignore the case where someone doesn't even practice it regularly lol.
All I said was if you don't have the cg mastered, opting for a techchase is better because whiffing a regrab is obviously a guaranteed fail. The cg is normally best because you can always get some guaranteed damage before you techchase if nothing else. But, there are certainly times when techchases are guaranteed, they are just very situation-specific.
Being a pessimist here, but I believe that those times are also DI dependent. At the very best, I believe sideB is the maximum punishment against an opponent who DIs and techs in the most optimal way to reduce ganon's punishment.
When ledgedashing does the stage make a different at all? Like, is the timing on Yoshi's different than the timing of FoD or anything?
Timing wise, no not really, although when reverse ledgedashing on Yoshi's, you will fall back to the ledge faster because the downward momentum from sliding off due to the slope. Almost positive that for each individual ledgedash the inputs are identical (but there would be less time in between each on yoshis if done as frequently as possible)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Indeed you are being a pessimist lol. So side-b is best? Under 30% a fastfaller can just cc and punish. Above 30% they can get pretty far DI'ing behind Ganon, at med% possibly eating a non-lethal bair.

Uair seems pretty free after uthrow onto platform, but I guess not technically guaranteed.

tm

Smash Ace
Yeah true. I struggle a lot with tech chasing, and I find the best ways to escape ganon's tech chase with other characters very intuitive (as well as recovering vs ganon). Most multiple option coverages are either very difficult to perform, very situational, or both. In most cases DI + tech away is unpunishable unless you hard read it, and even then there is often enough time for your opponent to see you running that way and change the tech direction. If you read it with downB and guess wrong or mistime slightly, you will probably eat a huge punish. Same goes for sideB, the range of which is laughable by falco's and falcon's forward tech rolls. Dsmash is great if the opponent doesn't know that they can CC the first hit, but even then the spacing is very precise. If you hit with only the 2nd hit you will get no follow up unless their DI is bad. If it was possible to cover 3/4 using fair/dair I think I would have a more positive outlook on this, I'm starting to think that a combination of hard reads and mixing up your opponent with unorthodox options is actually the 'best' way to tech chase (at high level).

And yeah technically platform uair isn't guaranteed but it is if you ignore the possibility of them bouncing off platform (which isn't always possible, and rarely performed). But even throw -> uair is a really weak punish compared to fair / bair / CG which can easily be done on non-fastfallers (who -hey- also are way easier to begin with)

Feel free to shoot my pessimism down lol. Can I actually have a strong and consistent grab punish game against fastfallers before mastering the CG?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
RLD is way harder on yoshi's, tipman is on some **** lmao.

Tm, I'm telling you, not enough people do this. SHFF perfect waveland into regrab after the DI + tech away. Don't knock it 'til you try it. The jump doesn't tip off your opponent in any way (unlike running, which may) and the waveland is of a long enough range that you can always get the follow up if you have the read.

Consistent is hard to say, though. Look at Linguini or Kage tech chase. They tend to have the hardest punishes IMO, but usually they are just incredibly good reads + optimal punishes given a certain %. And then obviously there's bizz lol.

s0teric

Smash Rookie
I like to practice dash jump as far as possible horizontally while fast falling to perfect waveland. I see pretty much all ganons jump in place and waveland when you can cover crazy amounts of space with this. Hard to do in match, but it's handy when I do. Also the movement dictates you learn to waveland on the actual stage using only one jump, which is, in my opinion, more useful than the double jump waveland i often see anyways.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
what do you guys think about approaching with shffl'd up-airs, aiming to hit a grounded opponent with the beginning hitbox on the way up?

They seem pretty good, but I'm finding it hard to consistently hit them (missing since I start it too late and whiff above their heads). Also they seem to be pretty unsafe when shielded, but maybe I'm not spacing them right? Sometimes jabbing after works.

I try to surprise opponents who are retreating/camping with them, since they're pretty much the fastest thing you can do out of a dash, and they have a deceptive range.
This is called a uair scoop. If FP you can hit Fox the vast majority of the time (I have a suspicion that it is so close that it won't work 100% of the time) but sometimes it just whiffs. Falco can be hit every time. FP uairs and FP uair oos are well worth mastering. Great tools for close combat. A retreating uair scoop is often safer (obv) and useful.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So with the recent discovery of "Light Powershielding" I'm thinking of trying to implement this into my game vs Falco.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-ask-anyone-frame-things-thread.313889/page-17#post-18512581

It doesn't look very hard to do either. At least for me. You just have to press Z and R/L on the same frame for this to work. By pressing L or R I mean pushing the button all the way down to where it clicks. The timing for it might be weird to adjust to, but basically it's really beneficial because not only does it make your Powershield much bigger, but your powershield frame window is increased by 1 when standing up. So now you have a 2 frames window to powershield Falco's lasers, not one, plus it'll be easier with the bigger powershield size.

I'm gonna test this out in 20XX and see for myself how this works out.

Coastward

Smash Lord
So with the recent discovery of "Light Powershielding" I'm thinking of trying to implement this into my game vs Falco.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-ask-anyone-frame-things-thread.313889/page-17#post-18512581

It doesn't look very hard to do either. At least for me. You just have to press Z and R/L on the same frame for this to work. By pressing L or R I mean pushing the button all the way down to where it clicks. The timing for it might be weird to adjust to, but basically it's really beneficial because not only does it make your Powershield much bigger, but your powershield frame window is increased by 1 when standing up. So now you have a 2 frames window to powershield Falco's lasers, not one, plus it'll be easier with the bigger powershield size.

I'm gonna test this out in 20XX and see for myself how this works out.
i was just about to bring this up too, i dont have time to test it so if you can tell me how it is. THE FALCO MATCHUP JUST BECAME 50-50.

i feel like this can help punish laggier moves on shield too.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Tested out the Light Powershield.

Good news: It's a lot easier to PS Falco's lasers now. You can dash dance and PS lasers much more easily.

Bad news: You have to hold down A before you light powershield so that you don't end up grabbing. I first tried to just hit R and Z at the same time and I kept grabbing, but if you hold A down, you don't end up grabbing. You have to be careful with this because if you're dashing and you want to powershield, you're gonna want to hold A somewhere so that you don't accidentally attack.

I found it easier to use L and Z than R and Z, but the results are very clear to me. Putting the CPU Falco on always SH laser I was able to get a lot more powershields, some even two lasers in a row. You still have to wait for the laser to just about hit you, but the window is so much more forgiving, not to mention that Ganon's light shield is huge.

So yeah, if you want to PS Falco's lasers, hold A and then press L/R and Z on the same frame. I'll be playing vs my Falco room mate later today and I wanna see how much I can do this in game.

Coastward

Smash Lord

Good news: It's a lot easier to PS Falco's lasers now. You can dash dance and PS lasers much more easily.

Bad news: You have to hold down A before you light powershield so that you don't end up grabbing. I first tried to just hit R and Z at the same time and I kept grabbing, but if you hold A down, you don't end up grabbing. You have to be careful with this because if you're dashing and you want to powershield, you're gonna want to hold A somewhere so that you don't accidentally attack.

I found it easier to use L and Z than R and Z, but the results are very clear to me. Putting the CPU Falco on always SH laser I was able to get a lot more powershields, some even two lasers in a row. You still have to wait for the laser to just about hit you, but the window is so much more forgiving, not to mention that Ganon's light shield is huge.

So yeah, if you want to PS Falco's lasers, hold A and then press L/R and Z on the same frame. I'll be playing vs my Falco room mate later today and I wanna see how much I can do this in game.
did you hold down your triggers when you plugged in your controller? apparently it helps because it makes you always lightshield or something. i still have to read up more on it.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
did you hold down your triggers when you plugged in your controller? apparently it helps because it makes you always lightshield or something. i still have to read up more on it.
Doing that actually does the opposite. It makes you always normal shield. I don't think holding down your triggers really helps, but removing the springs from your L and R buttons could prove to be useful. I might try that out, but I don't like tampering with my controller too much lol

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Not surprised at ganons picking z-ps up. Ganons z-ps sphere looks disgusting, hope to see you guys start doing this. Also @ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM Pressing the trigger down before plugging a.k.a "trigger tricking" helps, because then you always press the digital input in 1 frame and light shield won't mess you up. The idea is that z provides the lightshield.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Not surprised at ganons picking z-ps up. Ganons z-ps sphere looks disgusting, hope to see you guys start doing this. Also @ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM Pressing the trigger down before plugging a.k.a "trigger tricking" helps, because then you always press the digital input in 1 frame and light shield won't mess you up. The idea is that z provides the lightshield.
Oh I see. Well then I should probably start doing that. I think I'll use it on my L button since I mostly use that button to wavedash with anyway. I'll definitely want to try this out with my Falco friend.

I honestly believe that Z-PS will be the solution against Falco’s lasers and, to a lesser degree, spacies’ shield pressure. Z-PSA with Ganondorf against incoming attacks should have a 4-5 frame window most of the time. The CPU PS jab probably will become one of his go-to answers against aggressive approaches, and Pikachu with his jab (and maybe ftilt?) can do the same.
@Kadano Do you think you could elaborate more on the Ganondorf part in here? What's the jab thing you're talking about? Also, I know this works well with powershield reflecting projectiles, but does this work the same for powershielding physical attacks? If so, this is something I'll really try to invest my time in. I love the idea of parrying in this game :)

tauKhan

Smash Lord
You can ps physical attacks, you get pushed very far so I think it's easy to get out of pressure, but you get max shieldstun so you rarely have frameadvantage.

Coastward

Smash Lord
You can ps physical attacks, you get pushed very far so I think it's easy to get out of pressure, but you get max shieldstun so you rarely have frameadvantage.
i think this'll help so much with fox and sheik and it's barely punishable to since it's near instant.

s0teric

Smash Rookie
I think it's funny how right before this I'm messing with light shield tech, reading renth's thread on the "useless" light shield toggle, which is what's used for the z-ps. Just kind of ironic lol. Im hoping to implement z-ps, light shield on platforms and shield drop, as well as improving my oos game. Ive been thinking how game changing it would be if a player made one of ganon's greatest weaknesses (poor oos options) a strength.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So I tried doing the Z-PS when I played my Falco room mate and I found that it's much harder to put in practice against another person than it is to do on your own.

I find myself standing still a lot just to try to powershield his laser. I'm hardly mobile when doing this, and the whole holding A thing just before I want to powershield made me like jab at funny times. This is definitely a lot harder to perform on the move than it is to just shield the laser and hopefully PS it. I might have to just keep trying it really.

Coastward

Smash Lord
So I tried doing the Z-PS when I played my Falco room mate and I found that it's much harder to put in practice against another person than it is to do on your own.

I find myself standing still a lot just to try to powershield his laser. I'm hardly mobile when doing this, and the whole holding A thing just before I want to powershield made me like jab at funny times. This is definitely a lot harder to perform on the move than it is to just shield the laser and hopefully PS it. I might have to just keep trying it really.
well of course, it was found like 24 hours ago. definitely gotta practice it more to get it down 100%.

gonna try it myself now, hopefully its not that hard to pull off.

also, thanks @ T tauKhan and @Kadano for laying this **** out :)

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
I'm thinking start holding A during l-cancel lag or after a tilt / jab / grab. You wouldn't want to give it away. If they don't shoot then you can just let go.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Right, the shield stun is the same, but there is no shield drop time... which means that PS --> jab or even PS --> tilt is now a very good and viable option.

@ B Bwmat yea, you can jab cancel with ganon, but still not fast enough for it to be safe on shield, so it's not that useful IMO.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i find z-PSing attacks is so much more easier than projectiles.

i've gotten z-PS > jab after fox DA and usmash so many times, feel like i have the timing down now.

gonna be harder to implement into actual play though, i still rarely remember to wdoos so hopefully i can put this to use tomorrow.

Superspright

Smash Lord

The thing that actually makes it hard is that you have to go into hard-shield for 1 frame then transition to light-shield. You have a lot of time to reflect the projectile, but your timing on the hard-shield to light-shield has to be impeccable. I don't know how I feel about its application in tournament. It has to be buffered essentially, and it's useless against aerial approaches or smash moves. It's only good against projectiles. This will probably be more useful against Peach/Doctor Mario who have notoriously hard to powershield projectiles.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ S Superspright You don't transition into light shield at all, the whole point of z is to light shield simultaneously with full click to get light shield powershield. I also feel it might only be good vs projectiles. It's also very tricky to learn to use effectively. I don't think the requirement to hold a limits that much to be honest, but you have to learn a lot of new muscle memory so you can do things while holding a and also learn to hold a after landings, wds and so on.

And yeah powershielding attacks is and has always been much easier than projectiles.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yo if I had been there and beat bizz the crowd would have been like who the **** is ACE? Lmfao.

Ian you played mad nervous lol but GG's.

Props to bizz for utilt!

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
This is called a uair scoop. If FP you can hit Fox the vast majority of the time (I have a suspicion that it is so close that it won't work 100% of the time) but sometimes it just whiffs. Falco can be hit every time. FP uairs and FP uair oos are well worth mastering. Great tools for close combat. A retreating uair scoop is often safer (obv) and useful.
What do you mean by fp? And the jab cancel?

Top Bottom