• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Duel

Smash Apprentice
I am so pumped for TBH5, can't wait to see all of you guys wrecking ****. I am in the last wave so I will be hunting you guys down to watch your matches all day :ganondorfmelee:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Linguini just has to adjust his walls. A decent portion of his neutral imo is a deceptive bait and punish game through well spaced aerials. He knows when and where to space them... But he hasn't played in a while and wizzy is possibly the #1 falcon.... With practice he could adjust his defense and be able to pressure much harder/more often.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
puff and peach on certain stages. Peach on dreamland and FD I think are both extremely hard to deal with. I have no idea how to beat a peach that throws one turnip, gets % and then float camps you on the top of dreamland. It's incredibly frustrating. My marth sucks balls and I tried it out in friendlies vs a peach who's beaten me in tournament before. I won the majority with my fraudulent-*** marth, which says a lot. I don't enjoy dealing with turnips and with marth, they aren't as much of a thing.

Puff just bodies ganon I think. One hit off stage and ganon dies. The same cannot be said for puff. Grabbing puff is extremely difficult and risky as all hell and jiggs just has the upper hand on the spacing battle. Maybe I just don't know the matchup well enough yet to think any differently, but abu and Mr F both beat me pretty often with jiggs, but not with their secondaries.

Dave, you gotta teach me some visual cues or something on the chain grab. I can't get it down on sheik, much less the spacies.

i can beat u with my secondaries, MM me nublord

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yea, definitely. Not to john for the guy, but linguini is still showing a few signs of rust. You could tell he wasn't adapting as much as he could.

Notice how many times he fair'd shield --> jab and then wizzy came out with a nair. Not that linguini didn't predict this- he tried retreating back and bairing, but it didn't work a lot and could've changed it up accordingly. IMO, there are mixups he could've implemented to combat this such as:

fair on shield --> grab because wizzy expects jab.
fair on shield --> jab --> cc to combat nair
fair on shield --> high ftilt to stuff nair. (example)
edit: forgot fair on shield --> side-b. This one seems silly, but it's a decent mixup for shielders. Wizzy would probably just nair out of shield again after it because he likely knows you can't shield grab it, but not a bad thing to try out.

I think overall linguini did really well (especially vs uua, missed some wavedash oos opportunities, but otherwise fantastic grabs / SDI / neutral etc) and a little more time playing, he'll be a top ganon again.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Yea, definitely. Not to john for the guy, but linguini is still showing a few signs of rust. You could tell he wasn't adapting as much as he could.

Notice how many times he fair'd shield --> jab and then wizzy came out with a nair. Not that linguini didn't predict this- he tried retreating back and bairing, but it didn't work a lot. IMO, there are mixups he could've implemented to combat this such as:

fair on shield --> grab because wizzy expects jab.
fair on shield --> jab --> cc to combat nair
fair on shield --> high ftilt to stuff nair. (example)

I think overall linguini did really well (especially vs uua, missed some wavedash oos opportunities, but otherwise fantastic grabs) and a little more time playing, he'll be a top ganon again.
I would say he is already back to being a top Ganon.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
thats just common with a lot of people in the community. someone gets an upset and you never hear the end of it.
Well I lost to Ministry Kirby legit vs my Sheik lol and I lost a ganon mirror online before as well. And yet i havent heard anything about those things. Some players are obnoxious for sure.

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
If Linguini was warmed up in that match up he would have done wayy better regardless of technical rust. baiting with laggy aerials is something you learn fast not to do and he didnt cc jab or tilt wizzys nair so Im sure he will awaken the beast soon. game 3 was hilarious.

Hey Ace tomorrow Im playing hookey from work wanna smash early afternoon?

Coastward

Smash Lord
are there any recent sets that i MUST watch? i might've missed a few and i'm trying to get myself into shape before big house so i just need to watch some videos to help me with that.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If Linguini was warmed up in that match up he would have done wayy better regardless of technical rust. baiting with laggy aerials is something you learn fast not to do and he didnt cc jab or tilt wizzys nair so Im sure he will awaken the beast soon. game 3 was hilarious.

Hey Ace tomorrow Im playing hookey from work wanna smash early afternoon?
When? Text me

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If anything, I'd gamble to say that it's only true for lasers and it's a special property of them because I have been cc'ing jabs etc and I know for a fact that you can cc a fox jab so that it doesn't lead into upsmash at higher %
You're absolutely right. It's only applicable to lasers. It might have something to do with the fact that it is an energy based low hitstun, but I'm not entirely too sure why. If you have 20xx you can test this yourself in debug mode.

Ouch watching that set of Linguini vs M2K actually felt painful to watch. Sheik just runs up and grabs you and gets the easiest 80% CG and combo on you. M2K just abuses the **** out of that grab and almost 4-stocks Linguini cause of it. This makes me want to only play as Marth vs Sheik cause honestly **** that noise.

Gonna finish the rest of them though. Excited to see more Linguini footage :)

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
are there any recent sets that i MUST watch? i might've missed a few and i'm trying to get myself into shape before big house so i just need to watch some videos to help me with that.
Dont know if youve seen my recent matches but I felt more on point in these than previous. Still suffering from meta knowledge rust but getting more solid. http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/v/18105047
1:21:00 Ganon vs Puff
2.03.00 Ganon vs Fox
3.08.00 Ganon vs Peach

Either on this page or the previous Linguini has a few matches up aswell.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
L Linguini and Divinokage Divinokage I'm questioning your decisions to use bair to edgeguard a Fox when he is up-bing and goes toward the ledge while you are waiting on a platform. I'm pretty sure that misses unless you overshoot the bair hella hard. In those situations I feel like you have to time an early upair to cover that up-b to the ledge. It's a bit hard to do but at least it reaches and it can be pretty accurate.

Also, what is your guys opinion on playing Fox game 1 on Dreamland? You don't die as early to upsmash which is kind of nice, but the extra space that Fox gets means that he has a better ability to camp and outrun you. Not sure what the consensus is on that stage.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I mean, when it comes to striking, against Fox I strike FD and Dreamland, and he usually strikes FoD and Yoshi's, leaving BF. Either way, We're guaranteed going to BF, YS, or FoD game 1, all of which are stages I'm very comfortable against Fox.

Maybe trade out FoD with Dreamland? Idk it seems like FoD slows Fox down a bunch.

I would definitely not take Kels to DL ROFL

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
IMO against fox, your stage picks should be prioritized as so:

FoD -> Battlefield -> Dreamland -> the rest dont matter.

FoD is just a safer YI and you can have the advantage of having their movement butchered by the stage.
Battlefield is just a good stage in general.
Dreamland's good if you can manage to not get camped out, other than that i find some good success on it.

then again its my PERSONAL opinion.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
SO pools are still changing for TBH5, Abu, Ian , and TM are in the same pool. Also TM have I have darklouis now.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I lost to another puff today...yet was doing really well in friendlies against one of the ranked puff players in my region. I think I just don't have a very good plan against a Puff that refuses to vary their game and only bairs. If I read a fadeback on a Puff that fullhop bairs my shield, what is the best option? What if I side stepped the bair?

In terms of stages, I am starting to think that FD is a better choice than FoD in that matchup. I feel like FoD forces you to have a solid ground game, and Puff can really force you to have to challenge her in the air. Although you don't have platforms on FD, you aren't disrupted by them when you have to go to the air.

Oh on an unrelated note, The Moon went red marth the entire tournament because of the eclipse lmao

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Def watch Tipman's decision making vs puff... His patience is godly but deceptive, choosing good times to go in. Playing vs puffs on netplay has to be an insane exercise for getting reads and find ways to punish (usmash being one).

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Def watch Tipman's decision making vs puff... His patience is godly but deceptive, choosing good times to go in. Playing vs puffs on netplay has to be an insane exercise for getting reads and find ways to punish (usmash being one).
What's the deal with the Dreamland pick though?

tm

Smash Ace
PSA: YOU CANNOT CROUCH CANCEL FALCO'S LASER! I did tests on this before and the difference between CCing a laser and not CCing a laser is nil, nothing. So it's best that you just shield lasers or try to powershield them ,as you can act quicker. Getting hit by a laser will always put you in 14 frames of stun to where you can't do anything. If you shield it, it's only 7 frames. If you powershield it, it's 0 frames. Again, I tested ASDI down and CCing lasers and it DOES NOT WORK, so please, stop saying to do that as it's a waste of an input.

Happy now PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle ?
PSA: You're wrong. If you CC you are in stun for 7 frames, otherwise it's 12. Don't know how you tested it but you should try again.
This is legitimately mind blowing to me. Is this true for all characters or only ganon? I need to go to my buddy's 20xx setup and test out hitstun

Edit: I just can't wrap my head around it as all the ganons (including linguini, most knowledgeable ganon vs falco) have been saying to cc laser and then jab from the edge (for example). Not saying I don't believe you, I just need more confirmation.

Paging PaperstSoapCo PaperstSoapCo and @Magus420 is Locke's claim regarding the inability to cc lasers correct?
He's wrong.

tm

Smash Ace
SO pools are still changing for TBH5, Abu, Ian , and TM are in the same pool. Also TM have I have darklouis now.
Gee, cool. Honestly don't give a **** about myself at Big House because apparently only top 2 matter in each pool

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Tip I'm studying your puff set hard for dudutsai at big house.

This ganon vs ganon thing is annoying me. Forget ganon for a sec- tm, doesn't juggleguy know you're a capable player and that he shouldn't be putting you in that pool?

You're not even third seed. Idk what to say about it but that it sucks

also, tm thanks for confirming because I was about to **** a brick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom