• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Dephlo is a decent Shiek with lots of Ganon practice. He probably won't be a threat to a lot of the top end of your pool, but he may give you some trouble thanks to your's truly. I wouldn't worry too much, but something to keep in mind. He is very defensive and loves needles.
How do you do against him?

Duel

Smash Apprentice

anyone know who these people are? skigh seems like a familiar name but i cant put a finger on it. my pool might be getting changed though.
Skigh is a Samus main from my region. I have had a lot of success against him, but he is much better in general at smash than he is against Ganon. He got 2nd place in Michigan's arcadian.

Jobahfett is a sheik main, average.

Meowlavent is a below average puff.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
Mako is from my local. An O.K.fox that has a lot of trouble with Ganny actually. I think I've scarred him. Shouldn't really be a problem for you. He's an awesome ****ing dude though.

Any cliffnotes on Xelyst or KingQuiggles? They're in my pool.
never played xelyst but he plays like, every top tier. he might go sheik on you and lame you out - hes the best in his subregion.

quiggles is the meme of our region, we like to joke on him a lot lol. falco main who fsmashes a lot and doesnt know how to adapt properly, dont worry about him.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Skigh is a Samus main from my region. I have had a lot of success against him, but he is much better in general at smash than he is against Ganon. He got 2nd place in Michigan's arcadian.

Jobahfett is a sheik main, average.

Meowlavent is a below average puff.
i knew i saw his name before, i think i played him in my big house 4 pool and just narrowly beat him LOL

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
never played xelyst but he plays like, every top tier. he might go sheik on you and lame you out - hes the best in his subregion.

quiggles is the meme of our region, we like to joke on him a lot lol. falco main who fsmashes a lot and doesnt know how to adapt properly, dont worry about him.
Quiggles 3-0d me in a $5 MM a few weeks ago.

I wasn't even playing bad. Just couldn't handle his pressure. idk when the last time you played him was but he seems to have gotten a lot better since the last time I saw him XD

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
By the way, I reset the bracket on 7ent yesterday at a tournament. Falco 2 EZ. He's ranked #1. They have me ranked #7. Yea, it blows my mind, too. I still probably won't get bumped up on the rankings either lol.

7ent got 65th at evo and 2-0'd dart when they played, so that's kinda cool. Of course, they're still considering a mid-level falco over me for the crew battle who has literally zero notable wins.

If you guys can't tell, I'm just a bit salty.

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I'm in D13. The only guys I know in my pool are Drephen and Frycook. I'm on mobile so I can't link stuff right now. But does anyone know these guys in D13?
I've heard of NY Joey before so I think he might be good. Just checked out some videos and he's had closeish matches with Zhu and Larry Lurr. He plays Falco.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
I'm in D13. The only guys I know in my pool are Drephen and Frycook. I'm on mobile so I can't link stuff right now. But does anyone know these guys in D13?
Yeah, Thrash is my local too. He is a good fox/falco/marth. His fox is his best. Again, this is someone who is good enough that you can't sleep on him, but I've only lost one set in tournament to him. And he does have that Ganny practice so be prepared for him.

Jesus, me and 5 people from my local are going to big house, and 4 of them have Ganondorfs in their pool. Watch out for the South bend guys, man. I've trained them well.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see tm in Slope's pool. Literally everyone of the people I'm going with has a Ganondorf in their pool.

tm tm and Coastward Coastward don't really have to worry about Slope and Mako, respectively. But RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM , VegiLohrd VegiLohrd , and Duel Duel should watch out for J, Thrash, and Dephlo respectively. I'm definitely going to be ringside for Locke Robster v. J.

Last edited:

NickNasty

Smash Cadet

Immortal Joe
JU4N
Russy

Insight boyz?
Obviously besides Laudandus; but I really don't know anyone in my pools lmao. I'm stoked for round robins though. After bustering out in pools at evo getting 20 guaranteed sets if you want to play them all out is so sick.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
Insight boyz?
Obviously besides Laudandus; but I really don't know anyone in my pools lmao. I'm stoked for round robins though. After bustering out in pools at evo getting 20 guaranteed sets if you want to play them all out is so sick.
i dont think theyre round robin anymore.

Linguini

Smash Master
Went to a 100 man tourney here in fl yest. Played pretty well, got 4th.

Got destroyed by m2k loool triple 3 stocked...Jesus I forgot how good a perfect sheik could be against Ganon. Probz gonna go foxsies for sheik from now on. Straight ledge camped me into bait grabbed for 12 stocks straight fml

Vids prob up soonish

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Insight boyz?
Obviously besides Laudandus; but I really don't know anyone in my pools lmao.
NickNasty NickNasty Slag is a sheik/fox from my region. He is pretty decent. He'll probably go sheik against you.
Wrong Slag. This Slag is an Indiana man. Samus. Don't worry about him, he's aight but pretty free as long as you don't act like a straight dummy. I believe he has told me he struggles with G-dorf before. I've never had any worries with him.

NickNasty

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the update homie, I don't really have a problem with samus. A good friend of mine is a samus main and I would put him a little ways under Darrel and I typically will win the MU. I find the wd back dtilt/jab a little frustrating sometimes but as long as I'm playing okay I think I'll be okay.

tm

Smash Ace
https://smash.gg/tournament/the-big-house-5/brackets/10300/1397/8209/standings

can anyone help me with my pool? Outside of Hungrybox what do you know of any of the players?
Koopa is a west coast Mario. Pretty good but doable. Gemini is a Falco from Ohio. Probably an easy win for you. Alpha Dash is an ICs from Europe (UK?). I haven't actually seen him play but he beat Beach at Apex 2015 to make it out of pools, so best of luck. Fumbles is a Midwest Pikachu I believe. Never seen him before but apparently he beat KJH at FC, lololol. Don't know the other guys.

**** man. The two Jason ganons can't make it to big house :( I'll try and put in the work for you. Next time, man.

Anyone know any of the players in my pool? All I know is reno and after that it looks pretty free.
Looks like the freest pool I've looked at.
I'm in pool C6 as Cup at TBH5! Hoping to meet up with other ganon mains there, is there a fb group/messenger with just ganon mains? ;o
Here's some gfycats from a few weeks at locals in Stl,MO for me to keep progress/notes. They may redundant already, but I thought I'd share my current notes

Fun with Ganon's movement
http://gfycat.com/EdibleLoathsomeGreyhounddog
http://gfycat.com/KindlySorrowfulBat
http://gfycat.com/CandidArcticAquaticleech

Liittle things
(Falco)
http://gfycat.com/ShyNervousCottonmouth Finally incorporating waveland upair edgeguards vs high recovery space animals
http://gfycat.com/DishonestPhysicalBighornsheep wavelanding off the platform and waiting to see their recovery option + then using double jump to catch slightly further away recoveries

(Fox)
http://gfycat.com/SameIdealisticIberianbarbel Having Ganon's back turned away from the ledge/platform creates a situation for panicking fox/falcos to poorly DI Ganon's dthrow for easier chaingrabs and Ganon can punish the DI behind him with reverse upair
http://gfycat.com/UnkemptAdventurousFlyingfox just making sure I crouch cancelled his nair in the side-b animation for this grab? Is this a thing?

(Samus)
Edgeguards vs Samus are always ticky/dangerous to go out for, so for Samus's trying to sweetspot tether the ledge
1. (With Ganon facing away Samus) Reverse Upair offstage
2. (Ganon now faces toward from Samus) Tank the tether
3. Double jump and upair again to cover the recovery option twice

examples:
http://gfycat.com/DistortedKindheartedEmeraldtreeskink
http://gfycat.com/JollyFoolishGyrfalcon

Misc.
http://gfycat.com/OpulentBoringJabiru I live for moments like this
http://gfycat.com/FoolhardyRelievedDorking Zelda mains have it rough
http://gfycat.com/FriendlyPaleIndri Could've been cooler :(
http://gfycat.com/UnpleasantKeenArrowcrab punishing missed rests #blessed

I've become much happier with my movement overall in the last 2 months, but I need to shorthop wavelanding more in my neutral as people expect a ftilt or grab after a dj ff waveland. There's so much reliance in reads, but I wouldn't have it any other way.Hope to see many of you at BH5!
Good stuff dude. The sideB -> ASDI down fox's nair -> grab is definitely a thing. Kage utilizes this stuff a ton and gets crazy mileage for it.
Just FYI, if samus hits you with tether like that and DOESN'T try to recover immediately (so she just hangs there for a moment while you uair), she can zip to ledge then get a free edgeguard on your upB (notably ledgehop nair -> whatever edgeguard). So be careful.

LOL that rest punish. So much damage

anyone know who these people are? skigh seems like a familiar name but i cant put a finger on it. my pool might be getting changed though.
JobahFett is a MI sheik. Shouldn't be much trouble. Skight is a MI Samus who is actually quite good. Last time we played it went down to last stock game 3, but that was quite a while ago and I've gotten better since. He likes to spotdodge -> dsmash a lot. Be patient. Don't know any others.

Immortal Joe
JU4N
Russy

Insight boyz?
THuGz is a tech skill fox from MI. He's decent but very inconsistent. He's a poor sport so if you play lame or say something / do something that puts him on tilt he'll probably play poorly. Stitchface is a decent Peach from MI. He's sorta aggro. JU4N is a falco MI, just under PR / at bottom of PR level. I go even with him and he's really good at the MU. Good luck with him. Don't know the rest.

And yeah @ everyone these pools are NOT round robin. The whole thing is straight bracket.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think I finally understand the importance of calling the shots every single time. I got caught a little too many times whiffing a move where I thought my opponent was going to be and yet I still went for it which costed me my positioning. However once you do get the hit, you can easily get minimum 40-50% damage. I feel like I caught glimpses of the god level because of that, all those intricate decisions they make makes you approach for no reason. lol So that means I need to make better use of the jumping height i decide to take or even how you try to drift towards your opponent is extremely important. Also i need to execute my punish game a lot better as well. If I can get those better... ill definitely retake my spot in the highest level for sure.

So basically I need to take my time on how i try to press buttons a little bit and then make sure i dont needlessly attack.

This game... The 2015 meta is rough, though I did mention this before.. lol.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Im going to link my 2 sets vs Ryan Ford when its up. You guys will get to see what I'm talking about because I got bodied pretty hard since he has the punish game down so well and the reasons why I got punished is because of the reasons i mentioned above. You can just die because of one little bad decision. The matchup Ganon vs Fox is obviously in Fox favor however I dont believe its because of that I lost that badly.. The only way you can conclude you lost "matchup" wise is if you absolutely drained out all possible options and you have nothing left which is impossible in fact. Sheik is another story though because theres so many bad positions you can be in thats its worth considering another character imo. Its the only matchup where i will say you need an alt.

Edit: Already up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOai1liatc&list=PL65IMg9w1B_iy0MThn9CIqgqGx8Gj05dQ&index=26

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Koopa is a west coast Mario. Pretty good but doable. Gemini is a Falco from Ohio. Probably an easy win for you. Alpha Dash is an ICs from Europe (UK?). I haven't actually seen him play but he beat Beach at Apex 2015 to make it out of pools, so best of luck. Fumbles is a Midwest Pikachu I believe. Never seen him before but apparently he beat KJH at FC, lololol. Don't know the other guys.
**** dude, sounds like this is going to be tough lol. I am way better than last year but I will need a huge upset on one of these dudes to make it out at the bare minimum.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Im going to link my 2 sets vs Ryan Ford when its up. You guys will get to see what I'm talking about because I got bodied pretty hard since he has the punish game down so well and the reasons why I got punished is because of the reasons i mentioned above. You can just die because of one little bad decision. The matchup Ganon vs Fox is obviously in Fox favor however I dont believe its because of that I lost that badly.. The only way you can conclude you lost "matchup" wise is if you absolutely drained out all possible options and you have nothing left which is impossible in fact. Sheik is another story though because theres so many bad positions you can be in thats its worth considering another character imo. Its the only matchup where i will say you need an alt.

Edit: Already up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOai1liatc&list=PL65IMg9w1B_iy0MThn9CIqgqGx8Gj05dQ&index=26
I'd say definitely sheik, puff, and a peach who plays the matchup correctly. By correctly, I mean super, super lame. Doesn't approach, turnip camps, the works. Not many peaches do this and they lose because of it. Puff, same thing. I don't think anyone will ever beat a puff like hbox with ganon. I plan on using solely marth for these three matchups.

In terms of ganon's other matchups, I think the fast fallers are definitely beatable because they're easy enough to grab and if we can perfect the chain grab, that's a ~250% punish. No CG on falcon, but grabs go a long way there, too. I'm planning to stick with ganon for spacies / falcon except on stages where they wreck his **** i.e. FD / Stadium.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Went to a 100 man tourney here in fl yest. Played pretty well, got 4th.

Got destroyed by m2k loool triple 3 stocked...Jesus I forgot how good a perfect sheik could be against Ganon. Probz gonna go foxsies for sheik from now on. Straight ledge camped me into bait grabbed for 12 stocks straight fml

Vids prob up soonish
Any guini vs falco? Gotta know if the big man's still got it. Not gonna lie, I've been stealing a lot of your tricks vs the bird man with moderate success.

Jab too ****ing good.

But I still suck at edge guarding spacies lawl. Anyone got anything for when it's safe to go off stage for the spacies? I know there are times when you have the read (obv), but I'm talking when it actually covers side-b and then you can force them to go below stage or similar scenarios. I've done this unintentionally before, but I can't recreate it on purpose.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Wasn't feeling it going in today, went Marth game 1 vs stockholm syndrome for the hell of it. I will possibly never betray the dark Lord again.

Right off the bat, he pulls a stitch, hits me, catches it, hits me again, dead. Next stock, after 10 seconds of neutral game, I try to shield drop and get dsmashed for 60+%. After the stitch I was just laughing lol. Game 2 was super close with Ganon but I lost.

2-0'd a doc, 2-1'd a sheik, 2-0'd a marth, then came within 1 hit of 2-0'ing animal control but he clutched out the set. Nothing recorded, but I'm loving untechable stomp and the cg on spacies.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'd say definitely sheik, puff, and a peach who plays the matchup correctly. By correctly, I mean super, super lame. Doesn't approach, turnip camps, the works. Not many peaches do this and they lose because of it. Puff, same thing. I don't think anyone will ever beat a puff like hbox with ganon. I plan on using solely marth for these three matchups.

In terms of ganon's other matchups, I think the fast fallers are definitely beatable because they're easy enough to grab and if we can perfect the chain grab, that's a ~250% punish. No CG on falcon, but grabs go a long way there, too. I'm planning to stick with ganon for spacies / falcon except on stages where they wreck his **** i.e. FD / Stadium.
Eh? Puff and Peach? Beating Hbox with Ganon is possible, its just that no Ganons at the moment are at the god level yet. Armada can lose to Ganon too.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Eh? Puff and Peach? Beating Hbox with Ganon is possible, its just that no Ganons at the moment are at the god level yet. Armada can lose to Ganon too.
puff and peach on certain stages. Peach on dreamland and FD I think are both extremely hard to deal with. I have no idea how to beat a peach that throws one turnip, gets % and then float camps you on the top of dreamland. It's incredibly frustrating. My marth sucks balls and I tried it out in friendlies vs a peach who's beaten me in tournament before. I won the majority with my fraudulent-ass marth, which says a lot. I don't enjoy dealing with turnips and with marth, they aren't as much of a thing.

Puff just bodies ganon I think. One hit off stage and ganon dies. The same cannot be said for puff. Grabbing puff is extremely difficult and risky as all hell and jiggs just has the upper hand on the spacing battle. Maybe I just don't know the matchup well enough yet to think any differently, but abu and Mr F both beat me pretty often with jiggs, but not with their secondaries.

Dave, you gotta teach me some visual cues or something on the chain grab. I can't get it down on sheik, much less the spacies.

tm

Smash Ace

IMO peach isn't *that* bad. But I see where you're coming from. Plus marth bodies peach sooo....
I'm with you in the hating puff camp tho.
Pat is a player in my pool who's rank 2 on NEOH PR. He traded sets with Falcomist at EVO and he's beaten me when we've played. So here's hoping for that 3rd / 4th spot, but I can't really have high expectations when literally only 2 players from each pool are seeded at all.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
puff and peach on certain stages. Peach on dreamland and FD I think are both extremely hard to deal with. I have no idea how to beat a peach that throws one turnip, gets % and then float camps you on the top of dreamland. It's incredibly frustrating. My marth sucks balls and I tried it out in friendlies vs a peach who's beaten me in tournament before. I won the majority with my fraudulent-*** marth, which says a lot. I don't enjoy dealing with turnips and with marth, they aren't as much of a thing.

Puff just bodies ganon I think. One hit off stage and ganon dies. The same cannot be said for puff. Grabbing puff is extremely difficult and risky as all hell and jiggs just has the upper hand on the spacing battle. Maybe I just don't know the matchup well enough yet to think any differently, but abu and Mr F both beat me pretty often with jiggs, but not with their secondaries.

Dave, you gotta teach me some visual cues or something on the chain grab. I can't get it down on sheik, much less the spacies.
In the same vein that I 4 stocked Abu, you must be doing something wrong. lol.

Linguini

Smash Master
Any guini vs falco? Gotta know if the big man's still got it. Not gonna lie, I've been stealing a lot of your tricks vs the bird man with moderate success.

Jab too ****ing good.

But I still suck at edge guarding spacies lawl. Anyone got anything for when it's safe to go off stage for the spacies? I know there are times when you have the read (obv), but I'm talking when it actually covers side-b and then you can force them to go below stage or similar scenarios. I've done this unintentionally before, but I can't recreate it on purpose.
You check out me vs porkchops last month? Was pretty on point in that set vs falco

Got a great set recorded with uuaa's fox tho. Playing vs spacies is too fun lol

As for edgeguarding I wait for them to make a decision and counter accordingly. U air is godlike obvs. and it's always good to go out there and aerial them when the spacie gets too comfortable up b-ing and think they're out of reach.

Playing a puff like hbox is an uphill battle for sure. Once he gets in ganon's space there is little ganon can do to neutralize the threat. Ganon's out of shield options against puff are terrible.
But thankfully no one plays puff like hbox so we're good! lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You check out me vs porkchops last month? Was pretty on point in that set vs falco

Got a great set recorded with uuaa's fox tho. Playing vs spacies is too fun lol

As for edgeguarding I wait for them to make a decision and counter accordingly. U air is godlike obvs. and it's always good to go out there and aerial them when the spacie gets too comfortable up b-ing and think they're out of reach.

Playing a puff like hbox is an uphill battle for sure. Once he gets in ganon's space there is little ganon can do to neutralize the threat. Ganon's out of shield options against puff are terrible.
But thankfully no one plays puff like hbox so we're good! lol
Ya for sure however its possible to play in a way where he doesnt get into that space very often.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Joe: get godly at your jump positioning based on his options, and just slap c-up for uair or c-over for bair when he illusions. You can hit uair on reaction after you hear the little "ting" noise the side-b makes. Then stank leg (low ftilt).

Top Bottom