• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Look at this incredibly whack as **** grab tm managed to land in his most recent set with 1der.

Someone want to explain how this even hit? Did he grab Falco's hitbox or something? Falco did not look like he was close enough for that to happen.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Look at this incredibly whack as **** grab tm managed to land in his most recent set with 1der.

Someone want to explain how this even hit? Did he grab Falco's hitbox or something? Falco did not look like he was close enough for that to happen.
It's an illusion due to Falco's jump speed and the grab box already being out. I sometimes go for reads like this, and exclaim "bodayyyyyyd" before I throw.

"Grab is like a ****ing vacuum, it just sucks them in"
-Linguini

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Got some sets recorded at a weekly:

Sets I lost
vs MB-Smash (sheik)
vs 1der (falco)

Sets I won
vs 1der (fox / falco)
vs NotKain (fox)

falco too good. If you wanna give me some help, watch that 2nd vid

edit: I know I don't win the sheik one, but a lot of you guys seem to struggle with that MU a lot and I think you could learn a lot from watching that set. Game 2 sucked tho

edit edit: made come gfys.
http://gfycat.com/SnoopyTepidAphid
http://gfycat.com/AccomplishedWarmheartedKitfox
Vs MB-Smash

0:17 There was some spaghetti there. Missed inputs, nerves, or lack of warmup I'm guessing.

:40 That edgeguard was risky. You definitely had the time to grab the ledge and would've been able to grab the ledge. But nice job going for the read anyway and converting.

1:17 Tournament winner double jump dair vs. Sheik gets punished A LOT in my experience. Cause after you whiff the dair you're definitely going to get hit with something. But it gives such a great reward that I think it might be good when you're at lower percents or ahead and have less to lose.

1:39 great play. I'm surprised that worked, but after rewatching it seems that actually covered all his options rather nicely.

2:30 It's unfortunate it was DL, otherwise that would've killed I think. Should've opted for bair instead.

2:35 I see what you're going for. Unfortunately it was not timed right. In that position it would've been better to either retain stage control or to grab the ledge sooner instead of double jump wavelanding to it and go for an invincible ledge hop uair. Maybe even eikeldrop would've worked.

2:45 This is a theme in this set. Once you realized you have conditioned your opponent to shield preemptively, it's time to transition tomahawking and wavelanding into jabs/tilts and instead go for grabs. That grab opportunity was all yours.

3:00 Bair yoooo. Ganon's grab hitbox is whack.

3:09 What a great idea for dair. I like that a lot. But notice how immediatley after missing you, he shielded. He was obviously afraid of you by the ledge. And he was in position for a ledgehop grab. That's another case where you should've realized you had conditioned your opponent.

3:40 That fair was a little desperate. Had you gone for a uair, you could've landed into a jab and hit it. After you whiffed, I think going to the ledge would've been a better option than trying to get another fair and putting yourself in your shield. Maybe do a retreating aerial to the ledge and try to bait him into over extending.

3:57 You were trying to drop through bair I assume. But even if you didn't mess up your inputs, you were way to close to be trying that. I think running off the platform into a bair would've been a better choice.

You counterpick Dreamland. What did he ban? Yoshi's? Why not BF? I feel like you picked Dreamland to have better mobility, but BF would've given you that and you would've killed faster.

5:02 Bair dash attack hit, but if you got ftilt he would've gone farther offstage and it would've setup for an edgeguard. Not to mention ftilt would be safer from that range.

5:05 It was good you respected Sheik in her shield like that, but you gave up way too much ground and lost your next neutral exchange as a result

5:10 Sheik puts herself at that special range where she can punish your ledge dash. Better option would've been to ledgehop NIL run off double jump bair. Or RLD double jump fair.

Ok from here on out it looks like you're shaken. A lot of misinputs and blatantly poor decision making. So I don't think there's much need to point much out as you probably know what you were doing wrong.

But I do want to mention that at 6:17 you did an unsafe shield drop. If you're facing the opposite direction of a character, shield drop uair is usually not safe because you can get jabbed or shined before the reverse hitbox reaches them. And even against spacies it won't work if they pressure you hard enough and you're facing the right way.

6:49 That was a poor ftilt. You were trying to stop him from coming down on you. But you were too close to the platform for that ftilt to be effective. Jab would've been better

5:58 So you were trying to catch him when he landed on the platform with side-b. Interesting play. I think it could've worked. And if he shielded it you would be given an opportunity to pressure. But it was ultimately an unsafe decision because he didn't go for the platform. Down-b would've brought you to the other platform and hit him if he challenged it.

7:17 I see you were trying to keep stage control. But you reacted too quickly. It would've been better to wait and drop through bair or something to cover him from getting the ledge.

7:30 He read your ledge option hard. He started his full hop before you even ledge dashed. Means your ledge options were becoming too predictable. And then you went for the down-b immediately. I think the best advice I can give you for the ledge is that you don't always have to come back with an attack or an action. The best players are always expecting you to try to come at them with something from the ledge. What they don't expect is for you to fight from a position slightly in front of the ledge. So if you can ledge hop and dash slightly forward, you can throw a lot of people off balance as they were setting up to cover different options completely.

7:44 More unsafe down-bs! You're getting too desperate here and your opponent knows it.

7:48 You got the uair and then you immediately reset ledge invincibility. I know, it's a natural reaction to grabbing the ledge. I do it all the time without thinking. And it cost me a lot of opportunities in the last set I uploaded. You didn't miss much, but you could've ledge dashed immediately to put yourself in an extremely favorable position.

8:06 You don't always have to grab when you do a neutral getup. You can buffer a jump out of it and bair before they can do anything from that distance. It worked out for you in this situation, but it was risky.

And then you played an amazing stock straight after. Props.

8:48 Yeah you just hit like two warlock kicks. But don't get ahead of yourself. Approaching fair is never safe.

9:22 That dsmash was just what you need...and then you went for fair? Did you accidentally change directions with your jump? Cause bair was totally guaranteed.

The next two stocks of game 4 were played beautifully. You flubbed a few thins like misspacing a tomahawk on a platform, but aside from that it was great. You made a bunch of great reads.

12:15 The ledge dash jab would've worked! Again, you gotta be more careful with your ledge options

12:31 Was the dash attack on purpose? Had you just waited you could've punished him with a uair on that platform

12:35 Bairing the ledge was a no no. Should've just gone to the platform or dash danced in wait.

12:44 The side-b wasn't badly spaced. But that guy was ready for it and side stepped. You were getting a little too liberal with its use at this point.

Aside from what I mentioned, you dropped from chaingrabs, missed some crucial techs/DI, missed a bunch of shield drops (practice them against moves with more hitstun) and had some spaghetti here and there. The main things to take away from this set are that you need to mix up your ledge options, be more patient when Sheik is at the ledge, and be more aware of your opponent's mistakes. Still, I learned some stuff from watching this as you said. Good stuff.

vs. 1der

:22 Was the first mistake. You managed to DI the nair out of range of the shine, but you shielded instead of jabbing to punish. Had you messed up the DI, you would've gotten hit by the shine anyway regardless of whether you tried to shield. So going for the jab their would've made more sense.

:30 Can't afford to be missing those jab edgeguards. I'm working on this too. I'm getting Falco to spam side-b on the stage and practicing reacting to it with jab from different distances.

:35 Not sure if uair would've hit after, but I'm confident dash attack would've. And that would've sent Falco offstage. Going to the platform didn't set you up in the best ways to punish.

:37 When you have falco in the corner like that, you shouldn't have dash danced because it didn't really allow you to stop his laser nair. You should've cc'd his laser and jabbed him. And when he dash attacked, you should've shield grabbed. It looked like an input error since you let down the shield and then jabbed.

:43 This dthrow was unwise. Look at your positioning and Falco's percent. At 60% and given the fact you were diagonally away facing the platform, you could've covered everything with uthrow. Had he DI'd on the platform you'd have everything covered with uair. Had he DI'd behind you could've reacted with ftilt and put him in an edgeguard situation.

:48 You make the same mistake. I'm pretty sure there was no way he could've avoided being put on that platform had you uthrow.

:50 You get the opportunity, but there was no reason to grab the ledge so early. But since you did, the best play would've been to react to side-b with ledgehop uair. But that's a risky maneuver. So you should've just stayed on stage and waited to react to side-b with a bair/uair and to grab ledge if he up-b'd.

1:25 If you fail to react to a missed tech on a platform like that, you can't expect to react to his getup options with uair. I keep making this same mistake myself. Maybe try to bait him into getup attack and punish with a double jump aerial? That's a sticky situation.

1:38 This is where you should do the Linguini and try to read Falco's jump with a full hop uair.

1:45 Instead of trying to come down on Falco as he lasered, you should've either wd in to cc jab the laser or full hop a uair and react to what he does if you whiff.

1:50 That grab sequence was great. Because you weren't facing the platform, uthrow DI away would've lead to a really hard tech chase on your part. Dthrowing into a chaingrab so you were facing the right direction to uthrow was perfect. Unfortunately, you messed up that edgeguard, but it was a hard one to get.

2:34 That empty hop really cost you a big opportunity. You obviously read the tech in. Should've daired or faired.

I like your choice to go back to BF. You definitely had that game. I also happen to love the stage against space animals. It's so underrated. Even if that guy didn't ban Yoshi's it wouldn't have been a bad pick.

3:05 Right off the bat you got him cornered and were cc jabbing his lasers. Good stuff. Got him on the platform, but you tried to react to one tech option with fair instead of covering it all with uair. Even if you hit the fair he was in a position where you would've probably not made the edgeguard.

3:11 PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle is smiling at wd jab oos :) And nice edgeguard there. Personally, I would've opted to wd offstage double jump uair instead of your first bair in order to cover more angles and still be able to cover the high option. He could've gotten past that first bair.

3:25 So I realize this would be hard to think of in the heat of the moment, but I'll say it anyway. When you get Falco on a platform like that, uair isn't as good pressure as people think. Falco can easily react to it with shield. Really, we all just do it to keep Falco honest. But what you could do is the full hop backflip the NIL on the platform to get a juicy tomahawk off. It work in a lot of positions, but you were in a good spot to do it here.

3:28 Nice cc, but grab would've been better.

3:40 I think that dsmash was techable

3:47 You shouldn't have gone to the platform like that to tech chase. I think a better idea would be to run towards Falco. If he getup attacks you react with cc and then punish. If he does a neutral getup you put him under pressure (I don't think you'd be able to react to it) and if he rolls away you do a dtilt out of the run.

3:49 You were not in a position to jump towards falco like that oos. Wd oos back might put you in a better spot and would've thrown off his approach

3:55 Stop doing fair up high like that and just do rising uairs! They're safer and give you more options to cover up if you whiff.

3:56 That grab was seriously whack. I can't believe that worked.

4:05 That down-b yo. I think going to the ledge would've been better.

4:52 That tournament winner I hope was not on purpose. I loved how you used RLD to bait a reaction, it's just too bad you didn't punish it with a ledgehop uair or perhaps jab. I also didn't like (and don't like) many of your attempt to come down on Falco with dair from a tournament winner. It's so risky! Maybe only do it when you have a solid read or are ahead by a lot. Why not tournament winner to a falling fair double jump grab ledge?

6:06 I was not a fan of the jab after the grab. At that low of a percent, you're very unlikely to get anything more off after a jab since it won't knock down yet. You should've opted for a tech chase. Your fair only worked because Falco accidentally side-stepped.

6:13 There was no need to double jump there. You committed to the full hop (should've been a full hop uair as that would've actually covered space but the full hop was good nonetheless) and it didn't work out. Might as well cut your losses, SDI the next laser away and try to retain as much control as possible.

6:20 Uthrow to the platform and react instead of dthrow! All you got off that was a jab.

6:25 You can't challenge double laser from a platform with falling uair

Man I was really disappointed at the ending of that match. You missed all your edgeguard opportunities and lost because of it. A lot of your missed edgeguards look like you're watching yourself more than your opponent; aka looking at yourself do wavelands and ledgehops instead of setting up properly.

7:10 So I understand that you gotta go for shield grabs sometimes in this matchup. But prior to this, you got punished for it a bunch of times. At this point, you should respect this guy's ability to not mess up pressure and just buffer roll out of there or hold your shield a little longer until an opportunity arrises.

But holy **** the following 0 to death you got brought to you by outback steakhouse was beautiful. Great job doing the dthrow jab forced missed tech punish.

9:39 I respect the regrab, but I think in a situation like this when it's harder to react (I think it's more doable past 50) it would've been better to try and force the missed tech again with jab

Man, the last game also went down to the wire. If it wasn't for a few other careless mistakes like ledgehopping a warlock punch (lol) you could've had that! But I think overall the main things you need to work on in that matchup are your edgegaurds (the biggest thing by far), your situational awareness of what to do off a grab, and how you use your fullhops to get around the lasers.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Thanks in advance dude. Don't have time right now but I'll check it out soon.

And yeah that was a read, falco's jump is fking fast, and he doesn't really have anything that covers above him on the way up

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How would buffering jump help you? You still have to time the airdodge perfectly after the jump, so using c-stick doesn't help at all there. I mean that if you wd regularly and misjudge the shieldstun, you lose a few frames, but if you buffer jump and misjudge the stun, you'll probably end up doing a horrible wd, which is far worse.

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Koopatroopa is a SoCal Mario. He's pretty good. Got 25th at KoC4
Melo is a scrubby Puff main from my city. You probably don't need to worry about him.
AlphaDash plays ICs. He's ranked 8th in the UK
So AlphaDash, Hungrybox, Koopatroopa, and then that leaves one spot up for grabs lol?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Literally last second; I won't be able to go to BH5 because of family issues. I'm pretty ****ing salty right now. Wish all you G-mains the best of luck.
**** man. The two Jason ganons can't make it to big house :( I'll try and put in the work for you. Next time, man.

Anyone know any of the players in my pool? All I know is reno and after that it looks pretty free.

aHarmlessCup

Smash Rookie
I'm in pool C6 as Cup at TBH5! Hoping to meet up with other ganon mains there, is there a fb group/messenger with just ganon mains? ;o
Here's some gfycats from a few weeks at locals in Stl,MO for me to keep progress/notes. They may redundant already, but I thought I'd share my current notes

Fun with Ganon's movement
http://gfycat.com/EdibleLoathsomeGreyhounddog
http://gfycat.com/KindlySorrowfulBat
http://gfycat.com/CandidArcticAquaticleech

Liittle things
(Falco)
http://gfycat.com/ShyNervousCottonmouth Finally incorporating waveland upair edgeguards vs high recovery space animals
http://gfycat.com/DishonestPhysicalBighornsheep wavelanding off the platform and waiting to see their recovery option + then using double jump to catch slightly further away recoveries

(Fox)
http://gfycat.com/SameIdealisticIberianbarbel Having Ganon's back turned away from the ledge/platform creates a situation for panicking fox/falcos to poorly DI Ganon's dthrow for easier chaingrabs and Ganon can punish the DI behind him with reverse upair
http://gfycat.com/UnkemptAdventurousFlyingfox just making sure I crouch cancelled his nair in the side-b animation for this grab? Is this a thing?

(Samus)
Edgeguards vs Samus are always ticky/dangerous to go out for, so for Samus's trying to sweetspot tether the ledge
1. (With Ganon facing away Samus) Reverse Upair offstage
2. (Ganon now faces toward from Samus) Tank the tether
3. Double jump and upair again to cover the recovery option twice

examples:
http://gfycat.com/DistortedKindheartedEmeraldtreeskink
http://gfycat.com/JollyFoolishGyrfalcon

Misc.
http://gfycat.com/OpulentBoringJabiru I live for moments like this
http://gfycat.com/FoolhardyRelievedDorking Zelda mains have it rough
http://gfycat.com/FriendlyPaleIndri Could've been cooler :(
http://gfycat.com/UnpleasantKeenArrowcrab punishing missed rests #blessed

I've become much happier with my movement overall in the last 2 months, but I need to shorthop wavelanding more in my neutral as people expect a ftilt or grab after a dj ff waveland. There's so much reliance in reads, but I wouldn't have it any other way.Hope to see many of you at BH5!

Duel

Smash Apprentice
**** man. The two Jason ganons can't make it to big house :( I'll try and put in the work for you. Next time, man.

Anyone know any of the players in my pool? All I know is reno and after that it looks pretty free.
Sure, but look at mine if you can. Shanondorf is free, 100 percent free win, Ferriswheel is a super super super campy fox, but you should be able to handle it, goonsquad is a competent fox but I beat him last year at the big house so that tells you something, and yeah that's all i know in yours.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Sure, but look at mine if you can. Shanondorf is free, 100 percent free win, Ferriswheel is a super super super campy fox, but you should be able to handle it, goonsquad is a competent fox but I beat him last year at the big house so that tells you something, and yeah that's all i know in yours.
I actually don't know anyone else who's in your pool that hasn't been mentioned. Unless there are some hidden bosses, you should be good to go.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
I actually don't know anyone else who's in your pool that hasn't been mentioned. Unless there are some hidden bosses, you should be good to go.
Back to that FerrisWheel guy, he made me want to throw my controller, and I am not that type of guy at all. He will platform camp you hard, but you will be fine. By game 2 on him it was a close match and I had figured it out better.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Back to that FerrisWheel guy, he made me want to throw my controller, and I am not that type of guy at all. He will platform camp you hard, but you will be fine. By game 2 on him it was a close match and I had figured it out better.
Meh, sounds like your typical brainless scrub. There are ways to bait in even the campiest of foxes.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Dudutsai is an alright Puff. idk how good exactly but I don't think it'll be an easy set for you.
Scidadle is an alright Mario, originally from Florida but is now in Toronto (or at least was in Toronto for quite a while). Shouldn't sleep on him.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Dudutsai is an alright Puff. idk how good exactly but I don't think it'll be an easy set for you.
Scidadle is an alright Mario, originally from Florida but is now in Toronto (or at least was in Toronto for quite a while). Shouldn't sleep on him.
Yea, puff is a b¡tch and a half, that'll be a tough one. Mario is a matchup I'm not very familiar with and since he's from Florida, he probably has good ganon experience. He might have the upper hand here, but I've never heard of him, so if I play it smart, I'll probably be ok.

Thanks

Coastward

Smash Lord
Yea, puff is a b¡tch and a half, that'll be a tough one. Mario is a matchup I'm not very familiar with and since he's from Florida, he probably has good ganon experience. He might have the upper hand here, but I've never heard of him, so if I play it smart, I'll probably be ok.

Thanks
scidadle doesnt play mario anymore, which was his best character. he'll probably go falcon but he hasnt played melee in months so you should be good.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
So AlphaDash, Hungrybox, Koopatroopa, and then that leaves one spot up for grabs lol?
Dephlo is a decent Shiek with lots of Ganon practice. He probably won't be a threat to a lot of the top end of your pool, but he may give you some trouble thanks to your's truly. I wouldn't worry too much, but something to keep in mind. He is very defensive and loves needles.

aHarmlessCup

Smash Rookie
Joelie Polie Olie
J. Fredrickson, NY

ssj2 Elsa A.
Suchwallo, ON

FCBToxic Peach
R. Garza, TX

SMLZGOO
J. Dagen, MN

Having troubles finding these players in my pool (C6). Any insight? I already know Nintendude/Reeve and found some things on everyone else

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
I'm in pool C6 as Cup at TBH5! Hoping to meet up with other ganon mains there, is there a fb group/messenger with just ganon mains? ;o
Here's some gfycats from a few weeks at locals in Stl,MO for me to keep progress/notes. They may redundant already, but I thought I'd share my current notes

Fun with Ganon's movement
http://gfycat.com/EdibleLoathsomeGreyhounddog
http://gfycat.com/KindlySorrowfulBat
http://gfycat.com/CandidArcticAquaticleech

Liittle things
(Falco)
http://gfycat.com/ShyNervousCottonmouth Finally incorporating waveland upair edgeguards vs high recovery space animals
http://gfycat.com/DishonestPhysicalBighornsheep wavelanding off the platform and waiting to see their recovery option + then using double jump to catch slightly further away recoveries

(Fox)
http://gfycat.com/SameIdealisticIberianbarbel Having Ganon's back turned away from the ledge/platform creates a situation for panicking fox/falcos to poorly DI Ganon's dthrow for easier chaingrabs and Ganon can punish the DI behind him with reverse upair
http://gfycat.com/UnkemptAdventurousFlyingfox just making sure I crouch cancelled his nair in the side-b animation for this grab? Is this a thing?

(Samus)
Edgeguards vs Samus are always ticky/dangerous to go out for, so for Samus's trying to sweetspot tether the ledge
1. (With Ganon facing away Samus) Reverse Upair offstage
2. (Ganon now faces toward from Samus) Tank the tether
3. Double jump and upair again to cover the recovery option twice

examples:
http://gfycat.com/DistortedKindheartedEmeraldtreeskink
http://gfycat.com/JollyFoolishGyrfalcon

Misc.
http://gfycat.com/OpulentBoringJabiru I live for moments like this
http://gfycat.com/FoolhardyRelievedDorking Zelda mains have it rough
http://gfycat.com/FriendlyPaleIndri Could've been cooler :(
http://gfycat.com/UnpleasantKeenArrowcrab punishing missed rests #blessed

I've become much happier with my movement overall in the last 2 months, but I need to shorthop wavelanding more in my neutral as people expect a ftilt or grab after a dj ff waveland. There's so much reliance in reads, but I wouldn't have it any other way.Hope to see many of you at BH5!
I like the first samus one, but why do you look like a fake ass PewPewU?

Coastward

Smash Lord
Joelie Polie Olie
J. Fredrickson, NY

ssj2 Elsa A.
Suchwallo, ON

FCBToxic Peach
R. Garza, TX

SMLZGOO
J. Dagen, MN

Having troubles finding these players in my pool (C6). Any insight? I already know Nintendude/Reeve and found some things on everyone else
ssj2elsa is a falco main from my region, dont really need to worry about him tbh.

Coastward

Smash Lord

anyone know who these people are? skigh seems like a familiar name but i cant put a finger on it. my pool might be getting changed though.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
anyone know who these people are? skigh seems like a familiar name but i cant put a finger on it. my pool might be getting changed though.
Mako is from my local. An O.K.fox that has a lot of trouble with Ganny actually. I think I've scarred him. Shouldn't really be a problem for you. He's an awesome ****ing dude though.

Any cliffnotes on Xelyst or KingQuiggles? They're in my pool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom