• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

tm

Smash Ace
Tip I'm studying your puff set hard for dudutsai at big house.

This ganon vs ganon thing is annoying me. Forget ganon for a sec- tm, doesn't juggleguy know you're a capable player and that he shouldn't be putting you in that pool?

You're not even third seed. Idk what to say about it but that it sucks

also, tm thanks for confirming because I was about to **** a brick.
Not gonna say anything here, if you want to know more then message me on FB or something. Generally extremely disappointed in seeding for nationals

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Not gonna say anything here, if you want to know more then message me on FB or something. Generally extremely disappointed in seeding for nationals
Have them talk to ME lmao. So many telemarketers call me I don't care who has my number. I'll vouch for the strength of your purple fist.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
i dont even know who this banjo guy is and he's 3rd seed rofl.

this moo guy has only 1 vid on youtube and its him getting bodied by a puff LOL.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
What is dumb is I lucked out with a 4th seed, it's sheer luck, i swear Rob seeded some of the 3rd seeds though, I noticed he moved Alpha Dash to 3rd in my pool when he was in the middle.

Last edited:

Linguini

Smash Master
Bruh L Linguini you and Colbol won doubles at that event? I really hope there are videos for that as well. Could learn a good bit about doubles in there and teaming with a good Fox.
Yeah, Grands was recorded. Me and colin have siiiiick chemistry. Can't wait to enter more teams with that homie.

Yea, definitely. Not to john for the guy, but linguini is still showing a few signs of rust. You could tell he wasn't adapting as much as he could.

Notice how many times he fair'd shield --> jab and then wizzy came out with a nair. Not that linguini didn't predict this- he tried retreating back and bairing, but it didn't work a lot and could've changed it up accordingly. IMO, there are mixups he could've implemented to combat this such as:

fair on shield --> grab because wizzy expects jab.
fair on shield --> jab --> cc to combat nair
fair on shield --> high ftilt to stuff nair. (example)
edit: forgot fair on shield --> side-b. This one seems silly, but it's a decent mixup for shielders. Wizzy would probably just nair out of shield again after it because he likely knows you can't shield grab it, but not a bad thing to try out.

I think overall linguini did really well (especially vs uua, missed some wavedash oos opportunities, but otherwise fantastic grabs / SDI / neutral etc) and a little more time playing, he'll be a top ganon again.
Meh, wasn't really feeling too rusty at this tourney. Played a ridiculous amount of friendlies so I feel most of my tech is on point once again. Wizzy just beat me fair and square; kid is mad good.

I'm just decent vs falcon, honestly. I was surprised I took a match, as i've literally not played a falcon in more than a year lol. Fair on shield to grab is something I agree I should have done more. I def was trying to cc jab him but his nair spacing neutralized that @PaperstSoapCo . As for side b, that's a super risky one...miss and you get WTFcomboed to hell.

No offense to jason, but i'm def better than him vs flaco loool...spacies are my best matchups by far.

Certainly not going ganon against sheik anymore. I beat most sheiks but when they're ledgecamping to cg like mewdosking it's not even worth the struggle. Fox vs sheik is much easier and my fox is already pretty good. Not to discourage anyone in the matchup; but i'd just rather the easier/less frustrating path.

Overall i'm catching up to the metagame...not quite there yet but i'm getting close. Couple more tournies and i'll be ready to go oos ;)

Coastward

Smash Lord
Got some sets recorded Saturday:

vs Dizzkidboogie (ICs)

vs Beach (Sheik)

See yall soon. Can't wait for this weekend...
GONNA BODY DOUBLES!

also against beach, you either kept ****ing up your grab punishes or you just threw out a grab that was nowhere close to connecting. that first game coulda been yours if you had your punishes down and you didnt whiff as much stuff as you did. that + improper spacing probably woulda got you the whole set.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Couple more tournies and i'll be ready to go oos ;)
pls come to chicago.

And bring Jason, Dave, and Tipman with you lolol. Who knows maybe I can convince vro to fly you out to one of his monthlies so far we got druggedfox, westballz, and macd to come out.

Yea dude wizzy was beasting for sure. Bizz told me the 20GX falcons are all too good vs ganon. That optimal style they're all going for is gonna be hard to combat for ganon. I'd still give s2j best falcon for now, dave, but wizzy will be. No doubt in my mind. And FL falcons are definitely best vs ganon (obviously).

Yo Dave, flow chart for when to jab vs grab, lemme know if I'm correct here:

jab when:
you think they'll miss a tech
they don't have their double jump

grab when:
they won't be knocked off stage
have their double jump
likely to get the tech if they jab

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Uhhhhh....

Beer?

Lol. PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle are you talking about fastfallers? The only way I could describe my opinion on what the flow chart should be would be by labeling a diagram (of battlefield, for example) and pointing out where it's best for what option. Stage location. There would be times I'd say definitely opt for untechable stomp over grab.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
PSA: You're wrong. If you CC you are in stun for 7 frames, otherwise it's 12. Don't know how you tested it but you should try again.
I will bet money that I'm actually right. Once I'm out of classes and doing a few errands I'm going straight back to my room and testing it on 20XX again. If it works I will record it immediately and post it here as evidence.

On a side note, it seems like my bracket for BH5 isn't half bad. I got a bye off the bat and I'll have to play some randoms before I get to potentially play Eclipsing Binary, a Samus main I presume? I know I have heard of him before, he might be rather tough, but I have that Samus experience (mostly me getting bodied aye). If I beat Eclipsing Binary I then will get to play n0ne, might even be on stream if I make it that far. We'll just have to see.

Also super hype to see Linguini really get back into it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Eclipsing Binary is old school sheik. I threw the only set where I played him away, choking on games 2&3. He's got basics but makes more than enough mistakes for Ganon to rek.

tm

Smash Ace
I will bet money that I'm actually right. Once I'm out of classes and doing a few errands I'm going straight back to my room and testing it on 20XX again. If it works I will record it immediately and post it here as evidence.
No need to donate lol.
Hit by fresh laser:
4 frames hitstun + 8 frames grounded stun
actionable on 13th frame
CC'd fresh laser:
2 frames hitstun + 5 frames grounded stun
actionable on 8th frame

For anyone sufficiently curious, I suggest you test it yourself.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
No need to donate lol.
Hit by fresh laser:
4 frames hitstun + 8 frames grounded stun
actionable on 13th frame
CC'd fresh laser:
2 frames hitstun + 5 frames grounded stun
actionable on 8th frame

For anyone sufficiently curious, I suggest you test it yourself.
i just tried it right now and its definitely noticeable.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Well, I feel pretty stupid. Maybe what I was testing before was ASDI down, cause you can't ASDI down lasers, that doesn't do anything, but you can CC them.

I honestly feel quite embarrassed right now. I was almost convinced that CCing didn't work because I felt like I had tested it before but it must have been ASDI only that I tested. Why did I not think to test CC as well? I thought CC only reduces knockback, not hitstun...

This definitely changes how I'll need to approach the Falco matchup now. It's just overall better to CC lasers in neutral and at the edge. Now I can just hold down and wait for the first laser to hit me and then jab. Even the run up jab isn't half bad vs a laser if you time it perfectly.

Sorry about being so stubborn on misinformation and trying to spread it. This definitely changes what I think about the Falco matchup, and now I got something I want to practice more.

God I feel like a ****ing idiot.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give me just some general tips with how I handle the Fox MU? This is me playing very average against a fox that plays me very often, so he knows my tricks. I do much better against foxes at tournaments that are at or above his level. Starts at 5:40 http://www.twitch.tv/cmusmash/v/18381407
Also if anyone wants to help me with the shek MU it's at the beginning of the video.
Also Puff MU at 15:10.

Like I said this is not me playing great, I'm trying to get better by showing you average matches.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Tip I'm studying your puff set hard for dudutsai at big house.

This ganon vs ganon thing is annoying me. Forget ganon for a sec- tm, doesn't juggleguy know you're a capable player and that he shouldn't be putting you in that pool?

You're not even third seed. Idk what to say about it but that it sucks

also, tm thanks for confirming because I was about to **** a brick.
Yo he's the puff I was talking about doing well against.

He will fall for tomahawks and wl grabs if you condition him.

He likes to mix in nair more than most puffs. Watch out for nair rest.

He's the type of player to go for reads a lot. He extra wary of your patterns.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I watched them already lol, vs Dizz all he had on you was the wobble basically, you outplayed him in neutral so hard.
This is what frustrates me the most about icies, you can be destroying them all game and lose because you got grabbed literally 4 times.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone give me just some general tips with how I handle the Fox MU? This is me playing very average against a fox that plays me very often, so he knows my tricks. I do much better against foxes at tournaments that are at or above his level. Starts at 5:40 http://www.twitch.tv/cmusmash/v/18381407
Also if anyone wants to help me with the shek MU it's at the beginning of the video.
Also Puff MU at 15:10.

Like I said this is not me playing great, I'm trying to get better by showing you average matches.
Can anyone please help me with this before TBH5? Thanks

Coastward

Smash Lord
Can anyone please help me with this before TBH5? Thanks
watched the fox match for a few minutes.

going for too many hard reads.
need to improve your movement; you stood still a lot + you put yourself into shield when you didnt need to.
better spacing.

thats just general stuff. you gotta watch it over yourself and ask why you did certain things in situations. there's a lot of stuff here that could be improved on, you just gotta look it over.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
watched the fox match for a few minutes.

going for too many hard reads.
need to improve your movement; you stood still a lot + you put yourself into shield when you didnt need to.
better spacing.

thats just general stuff. you gotta watch it over yourself and ask why you did certain things in situations. there's a lot of stuff here that could be improved on, you just gotta look it over.
Thank you very much man, I appreciate it a lot. I will be seeing you guys tomorrow I'm sure at the hotel.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
How do you see V Canceling possibly helping Ganon's meta? Could it be better for ganon than most other chars because when he barely survives near the top edges of the stage he can get back?

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
How do you see V Canceling possibly helping Ganon's meta? Could it be better for ganon than most other chars because when he barely survives near the top edges of the stage he can get back?
Well Ganon gets edgeguarded really easily so I don't think so in that regard. I think it would have more application in stopping yourself from getting knocked far enough offstage where you have no good recovery options.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Well Ganon gets edgeguarded really easily so I don't think so in that regard. I think it would have more application in stopping yourself from getting knocked far enough offstage where you have no good recovery options.
Sheik's fair? We can only hope =)

Coastward

Smash Lord
dont really understand how it works right now, need a visual example to see. 5% isnt THAT much though.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
dont really understand how it works right now, need a visual example to see. 5% isnt THAT much though.
Think if you were to die in the top left or top right corner of the stage but now you don't because you don't go that extra 5% further, I could imagine that could be significant for a Ganon who could wizard kick his way back.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
V-canceling looks like it will be useful for when you're recovering and you go high and the opponent tries tyo hit you while still in the air. v-canceling combined with good DI could make for recovering easier in certain situations than other, and then the obvious not dying off the top as easily when coming down.

Top Bottom