• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to train

hedgehog9597

Smash Rookie
I spend tons of time training and reading boards, but I only train against cpus, and when I play my friends I don't completely own them in the face like I should. What to do? Wifi sucks... how should I effectively train?

-edit: this isn't in the q&a thread because I think there could be some SERIOUS discussion here.

Chaospeedy

Smash Rookie
you could try going to some local tournaments. I just started getting into competitive matches and I'm trying to get a lot better as well. it seems to work (for me) but i don;t know if you could afford gas entry and what not. just try to do a lot of friendlies and see how you stack up to your area.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Are these just your friends or are they part of the competitive brawl scene?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Here are some points on how to get better:

• Watch videos of yourself. Critique yourself and get others to critique you.
  • Watch videos of top players. Compare yourself to them. And any top player will do, not just the ones that main your character. Olimar's will not figure out everything!
  • Do research. Read up on things. Again, read up anywhere. Not just your main.
  • Practice. Vs computers, on wifi, playing good players also helps obviously
  • Get advice. knowing how to get better is really important. And you can't figure out everything (or you'll do it slower than you could).

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yeeeeah, Squid's right.
As much as I hate to say it, Wifi's a good place to start.

You can develop certain "habits", though.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Wifi is a last resort if you have no one else to play. You should really just try to play offline a lot, and go to tournaments if you can.

If you can really ONLY play wifi, try to play against the best possible players, and only players with good connections. You're gonna have to be disciplined on this.

Also, PRACTICE AGAINST LEVEL 3 CPUS. I know it sounds weird, but you'll develop a fluidity with your character because you're just hitting a moving target that occasionally fights back. Don't fight lvl 9 CPUs, they just do the same exact thing every time and they ingrain habits into your muscle memory that you don't want.

I'm super lucky to have access to Tyrant, Mikehaze, and DEHF whenever I want, not gonna lie that helps me a lot XD

And what tinman said about videos is absolutely true too. Ask yourself why you got hit, and what you can do to prevent getting hit in that situation again, and figure out what your opponent is doing that is preventing you from winning.

The Oli boards are here to help you with video critique as well, so feel free to post your vids!

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Not saying you're wrong Rich, but you should play lvl9 CPU's for one reason only and that's to practice SDI and DI. That's all they're really good for. Just let them hit you and practice the DI. Fighting them will develop bad habits though.

P.S. I personally know what it feels like to have know no one to play offline. I have no real brawlers in my city who play a lot so I'm forced to wifi. I do train with the CPU's lvl3 and 9, but it's just not the same so I feel the pain. :(

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I train, I don't really look to win, I practice my timing with OOSing. Practice jab cancels nd the such.

I don't look at practicing to win. Infact, it's prolly better when you lose.

Something that I have been practing is not buffering shield when I land.

hedgehog9597

Smash Rookie
See, I can't really go to tournaments cuz I live in the colorado rockies and I'm just in 8th grade, so...
they're just my friends, one's a tl main, one mains link, samus, and ganon, and the last one sucks and mains ike. They aren't too good, but just good to practice against. For example, tl never uses zair, same with samus&link.

edit: Also thanks for the video idea, that's great.
edit 2: also, any ideas on how to get wifi to work? the with anyone doesn't work... plus I don't do wifi because I have slow internet, and it is so laggy it takes several seconds to respond after pressing shield.

Blissard

Smash Lord

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
San Antonio has a 12-year-old player. No age johns. =P

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Heres a thing i do to train: Battle lvl9 cpus.

Lvl9 CPUs get used to your attacks so if you perform the same move over and over, it will be less effective against them, this helps you be more fluid withyou attacks, taking you away from being monotone, and learning to use all your attacks!

Also lvl9 cpus get to see your moves at frame speed, thats why they normally shield everything you have, this is were mindgaming occurs, you cant possibly mindgame a CPU but if youre good at guessing what he might do next, this will help you develop Yomi thinking. (ability to read opponents mind).

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It does matter, actually. CPUs do the same things and fall into the same patterns. There's no stimulation and no actual way to learn to read your opponent's minds.

EDIT: NINJA LLUMYS!

That said, some people were working on tinkering with the A.I. a while back. I think either Phantom Wings or Dantarion was involved. IIRC, they were exploring certain curious habits changing certain values created, but I think the topic's inactive now.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Repeating what Rich said, practicing against level 3 computers is good from time to time. If you're stuck with wifi, what I suggest is using it through Thursday, but not on the day before the tournament. On that day, put yourself against level 3 CPUs and practice whatever is difficult, obsolete, or not used very often in general on wifi. Timing for some combos, ATs, things like that. You don't want the CPU to be an opponent. You want it to be a moving punching bag to help you make everything important muscle memory. This way you'll be less likely to put yourself into bad habits, as you're not thinking of them as the same way you're thinking of a live opponent, and you're still able to get whatever you are able to get out of wifi without screwing yourself over at tournaments.

Top Bottom