• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to select a main character(s)

mewtwo64lol

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm having trouble selecting a main. Can you tell me what goes into to picking a character or character combo? ty

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well, chose the character that you more enjoy to play or chose a conveniente character like fox or falco.. what i thnk is that sheik is apretty good option

Geist

Smash Master
There are so many ways to choose a main.

1) Play with every character. Get comfortable with said characters. Play with the character selected from said characters that you enjoy playing the most. Main that character.

2) Spacies, like everyone else >.>

3) Fight the tier list on purpose. Ownage with mewtwo? Please.

4) Pick whoever looks "kewlest". If you pick Roy over Marth because of his fire, thats cool.

5) Whoever beats your friend's character.

6) Infamous random characters in a hat.

Dont try to force it on yourself to play as a certain character. Whoever suits you best should be your main. Having absoluteley no main is fine. I can pick up any character and use them well. Then again, you could go with spacies lol.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's the one that you work best with. Often times, your opponents will be able to tell better than you will. I had to be told before I realized that I was much better as Samus than as Marth.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Just try and get used to all the characters, over time, you'll naturally find out who you're best with.

Sheik's a good choice to get decent at the game, and quickly. I started out with her, and moved on to Fox as I got better.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Whatever wins.
When i first got Melee i mained Link because Link kills lvl 9's w/ items and that's how i used to play. Once i started to do events to get FD, i was stuck at the Luigi vs. Peach and Dr. Mario one. At that point i sucked at Luigi. I had to get better w/ Luigi. I beat the event, later getting FD!! FD=No Items. I had to do it. I started owning w/ Luigi against others. Today i main Luigi but I play as Fox or Shiek for speed and Samus or Peach for fun. (Samus=shoop da whoop) Your main changes. Start w/ who you are good at and work from there. That's what I did.
(I apologize for telling my Melee Life Story)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Why are you asking us? We know nothing about you or your play style. I could just picture it now:

some kid at a tournament: "Hey, why do you play DK?"
you: "I didn't know who to main, so I asked on Smashboards, and someone told me I should main DK."

Just make the choice yourself, or if that fails...

Roll a die:

1. You main Fox
2. You main Falco
3. You main Sheik
4. You main Marth
5. You main Peach
6. You main Captain Falcon

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
try thinking about what you want to do:
do you like going all out and just pummeling people?
-fox -falco -sheik

do you want to read your opponent and force him into making bad decisions and just screwing people over for their mistakes?
-marth -peach(i may be wrong) -samus(i'm probably wrong XD)

like a mix of things?
-the marios/luigi -captain falcon -ice climbers

flashiness(the way i chose...and this is really opinionated on my part)
-pikachu(my main) -mewtwo -fox -falco -ice climbers

i hope my post was helpful and that the info wasn't too inaccurate

edit: you could also forget about the game..and just main the character you like.
ie: i main pikachu because i was and always be a pokemon fan(original series! none of that new stuff! XD)

orintemple

Smash Lord
Don't read into it much. It isn't really a choice. The character for you will find you. That's how I ended up with Marth. I went through Roy, Fox, Falco, Mario, Shiek and Samus as my "main" before I realized Marth was my true calling. It just so happens that I was lucky enough to be destined for a character who is high tier. XD

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Play around with everyone, see who you enjoy using.

Renth

Smash Hero
I personally chose Link. I've been playing Link ever since. :) I pwn with Link. I love his projectiles, and his priority Sex Kick, makes me happy inside. Neutral A FTW

Renth

Smash Hero
Woops, sorry, Renth was still logged into this account, sorry, this is Catobates. Sorry for the double post.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I wrote this not too long ago, to give advice to people getting into competitive Brawl when it comes out, but it applies here as well.

Picking your character

When Brawl comes out, you're going to want to play as your favorite character. In fact, you probably won't want to play as anybody else. Personally, I prayed for Meta-Knight to be in "the next Smash" years ago, long before it was announced. When he was confirmed, I swore I would be the best Meta-Knight player in the world.

Fortunately for me, the few tournament players who attended E for All--with its playable Brawl demo--confirmed that Meta-Knight was a very good character.

This, obviously, was fantastic news for me. Not everybody, however, is going to be so lucky.

Some people will be wholeheartedly devoted to a single character. A character who is, by competitive standards, bad.

I'm not here to tell you that you shouldn't play as your favorite character. My recommendation is only that you remain flexible in your character choice. Play as multiple characters. Pick a character who, statistically speaking, is very good. If that happens to be your favorite character, more power to you. Play as characters who aren't. You will learn much more about the game by trying new characters on for size, and it will only help you become better with your favorite.

The prime case study for this is renowned Mewtwo player Taj, from Arizona. He is widely known as the best Mewtwo player in the world; at large tournaments he tends to have long lines of people waiting to play friendly matches with him. This is because Mewtwo is currently rated as the very worst character in the game.

Anybody who has watched him play in tournament, however, knows that he relies almost exclusively on Marth. While slightly less famous on this score, he is also considered one of the best Marth players in addition to his Mewtwo fame. Taj strikes a balance between playing his "true main" and his "tournament main," and is not only successful in tournament play, but he has the acclaim of a skilled low-tier user.

The second example to consider, however, is Chu Dat. Chu uses the Ice Climbers, who were considered by most to be very bad; by finding out new strategies with them, he invented a successful playstyle and places very highly in almost every tournament he attends.

Anybody who pays attention to Chu's play also knows that he's skilled with a wide variety of characters, however. He has been seen playing Young Link, Pikachu, and even Pichu in serious tournament play. Even though he virtually invented the Ice Climbers, Chu hasn't limited his horizons.

So even if you think your character is secretly amazing, or if you know it isn't and still want to use it, remain flexible. Explore multiple characters. Try playing as the powerhouses, the underdogs, and the unexplored. You'll find that:

* You can actually win and won't suffer from low-tier dejection syndrome.
* Playing multiple characters helps increase your general knowledge of the game, keeps your skill from stagnating, and helps you have more fun all around.
* You will be less susceptible to incredibly harsh counterpicking.
* Occasionally you can bring in your “true” main as a secret weapon or use it in weird counter-picks for a flashy and crowd-pleasing win.
* You might actually find out that a bad character is actually better than everybody thinks. It's not likely, but it could happen--the only way to find out is by trying. Just don't invest all of your time and you'll be less disappointed if it doesn't pan out.

In the end, just be realistic. If you think a "bad" character actually has great potential, then pursue it. The important thing is to be honest about their chances, and not to pointlessly limit yourself.

Top Bottom