• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Recover with Snake?

alxp

Smash Rookie
I haven't found much written about recovering with Snake, aside from the topic of the C4 recovery. Whenever I get knocked offstage I have a very hard time staying alive. Many characters dominate Snake's aerials, and his recovery move is highly predictable and difficult to maneuver. How can I prevent my opponent from spiking me while I'm recovering?

Also, I've noticed that Snake's recovery gives some super armor frames, and while I've seen it mentioned, I don't know much about it. From what I can tell, you can only air dodge when you do not have super armor, and if you are attacked during the super armor frames, the duration of the super armor increases. When exactly does Snake get the super armor, and how can I take advantage of it?

Lastly, if I manage to make it back to the ledge, I still often have trouble making it back onto the stage for more than an instant. What are Snakes (best) options from the ledge?

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I need help getting back onto stage from the ledge too. They made rolling crap. And when I do A, they hold a smash button and bam.

Solid Samus

Smash Cadet
What seems to work for me is timing a grenade throw or two (takes practice getting the timing/aim well enough to get the grenade to land right at the edge) right before up+b recovery. This usually forces the opponent to react to the grenade, giving you a small window to get back safely and possibly even damage them with a well thrown grenade. Getting it to do damage isn't what's important though, it's distracting them - even if it's just for a moment - from your recovery.

napZzz

Smash Hero
A quick tip is that if you cypher right after you jump you get a boost on it I guess and depending on the characters moves or whatev choose to go the way that is less punishable like jumping against a character with a bad air game, and watch where they are standing when you decide to roll or get up attack.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Also, I've noticed that Snake's recovery gives some super armor frames, and while I've seen it mentioned, I don't know much about it. From what I can tell, you can only air dodge when you do not have super armor, and if you are attacked during the super armor frames, the duration of the super armor increases. When exactly does Snake get the super armor, and how can I take advantage of it?
- You have super armor as long as you're holding onto it. When you air-dodge, you let go of the cypher.

- Being hit doesn't increase the length of the super armor frames, you could be mistaking 'weak' moves hitting you then being knocked out of it by a 'stronger' move. There are certain moves that can knock you out of it, including spike moves, and a range of other miscellaneous moves. From the Sonic side of it, his N-air, B-air, and Homing Attack all knock Snake out of Cypher, regardless of when the move started.

alxp

Smash Rookie
Throwing grenades might help against people who wait for you on the stage, but I'm more concerned with players who follow me offstage. Snake seems really vulnerable in the air, and I am often spiked out of my recovery.

Again, what are Snakes options from the ledge? Can grenades be used effectively while hanging off the ledge? Are any of Snake's aerials good from the ledge?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
to recover you press up+B

dodge any attacks. get on the stage and press L or A

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
All I can say about avoiding spikes is...

DI a little away from the edge so that the opponent can't spike you and get your c4 recovery skills ready. :p

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Yea, really the only way to avoid a spike while on the cypher is to gain height away from the stage and C4 yourself up higher so they cant get above you

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
If at anywhere greater than the ``180 Degrees`` of Final Destination, you should always recover.
Like stated above me, when sent flying: Air Dodge --> Grenade Toss --> Second Jump (Possibly With An Uair or Nair if Necessary) --> Cypher

I find it works best.

Always remember to C4 BEFORE Cypher Ends, so you don`t Fast Fall, if you need to C4 Jump

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, I hate c4 recovering. I accidently fastfall after I drop the c4 trying to explode it. :(

Also, this one time, I did fair and I gained height + horizontal range from it. I dunno if the lag after the move made the distance make any difference, but anyone know if that will be a good recovery? Like fair -> up b >.>

Personally, what I do is up b as soon as possible. I get up too high so that the guy can't get close to me. They can double jump and still not reach me. If they up b for whatever reason I can just bair them >.> Only problem is if they have good utilt/usmash. :( It's sorta annoying recovering from above.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I hate c4 recovering. I accidently fastfall after I drop the c4 trying to explode it. :(

Also, this one time, I did fair and I gained height + horizontal range from it. I dunno if the lag after the move made the distance make any difference, but anyone know if that will be a good recovery? Like fair -> up b >.>

Personally, what I do is up b as soon as possible. I get up too high so that the guy can't get close to me. They can double jump and still not reach me. If they up b for whatever reason I can just dair them >.> Only problem is if they have good utilt/usmash. :( It's sorta annoying recovering from above.
Which is why C4-ing is much easier while in Cypher, steady yourself horizontally --> Tilt Down --> B --> B

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
Which is why C4-ing is much easier while in Cypher, steady yourself horizontally --> Tilt Down --> B --> B
I did it on the cypher. But I guess the tilt down was why I failed. I tried to do down + b two times. And I guess I messed up the timing by a little and did down + down b instead of just down b. I'll try that later today. =D

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
Lastly, if I manage to make it back to the ledge, I still often have trouble making it back onto the stage for more than an instant. What are Snakes (best) options from the ledge?
Well what I do is hit back then jump back up and as I jump back up to the stage I usually do a Fair which usually catches them off gaurd. Plus if they bounce off the ground it sets up for a nice mortar combo

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
I did it on the cypher. But I guess the tilt down was why I failed. I tried to do down + b two times. And I guess I messed up the timing by a little and did down + down b instead of just down b. I'll try that later today. =D
I usually tilt the stick down while I'm still in Cypher, that way I won't Fast Fall it, which I came to do alot in the beginning lol

Browny

Smash Hater
he doesnt have complete super armor on the up-b, quite a few characters have aerials that will kick him right out of cyper into the blast zone. sonic's b-air is one i know does, i think G&W f-air does too. theres lots more

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
While on the cypher, he doesn't move when an opponent uses a rapid attack or weak attack against you. For example, Olimar's uair. It needs to be a forceful rather than rapid.

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Uhm...you guys know that when C4 recovering, if you B-Stick it, then you won't fastfall or anything. I mean...that's just what I do at least...And also, when dropping down onto the stage, you can pull out and hold onto a grenade so that any opponent will be punished for trying to attack you. And even if they don't attack you, then you can shield as soon as you touch the ground to drop the grenade, and then you can grab it and then throw it to where-ever your opponent is...

alxp

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips, but no one has addressed my question about Snake's options from the ledge yet.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the opposing character, I'll usually Drop Down --> Jump --> And Uair or Bair and land on the ledge again. Than I either normal get up or roll. It all depends on the situation. Snake's get up attack has decent range too, but like get up attacks, you can see it coming

Top Bottom