• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to pressure like westballz help plz!!!!!!!!!

MrDizzle

Smash Rookie
I was more curious about comparing grounded JC multishines and WestBallz's technique:

Scenario 1: Grounded JC multishine
Shine
Jump (with jump squat)
Shine ASAP
Jump (with jump squat)
Shine ASAP
and repeat...

vs.

Scenario 2: WestBallz technique
Shine
Jump (with jump squat)
Shine in the air
Double Jump
Airdodge Down
Airdodge landing lag
and repeat...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the airdodge landing lag (10 frames?) makes the third shine come out slower for WestBallz's technique than vanilla JC (6 frames for the jumpsquat).

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Again, not a fair comparison. Endless jc multishines vs aerial double shine have different purposes. Doing endless jc shines, you never get reset into standing position. Aerial doubleshine has a window where you have a much greater number of options available to you than just shine.

If your question is simply "How can I do as many shine as possible, in as short a time as possible", then yes, grounded multishines are what you are looking for. This is unrealistic and honestly not that useful.

Westballz's tech has more utility than endless grounded shines, while sacrificing a few frames to gain that option flexibility.

Asking "Why am I doing this?" before "How quickly can I do this?" will make you smarter, stronger, and better looking in 3 easy payments of $19.95.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Wrong. You can in fact punish rolls after a shine in the air. Ive done it many many many times. LOOOOOL noob with inaccurate information. Stop spreading bad info your making the noobs even noobier. In matter of fact i actually invented the doubleshine wd down to punish them ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFLLLLLLLLLLLLLL People need to stop listening to this complete utter noob
I mean, of course if they do their OoS option slow out of the second shine you can still catch them, but you most certainly cannot think that you are able to airdodge back to the ground and then move forward or backward fast enough to hit them out of the end of their roll if they buffer it after your second shine... You can barely catch them when you stay grounded and WD to them immediately.

The two situations being compared here are:

Scenario 1:
Shine
Jump(With Jumpsquat)
Shine on first frame possible
Jump(With Jumpsquat)
Airdodge Down
Airdodge Landing Lag

Scenario 2:
Shine
Jump(With Jumpsquat)
Shine on second frame possible
Jump(Without Jumpsquat)
Airdodge Down
Airdodge Landing Lag

The total frames until you are actionable is actually lower when you do an aerial shine, assuming you will be doing a wavedash down in both scenarios.

Now, if we change the situations being compared to:

Scenario 1:

Shine
Jump(With Jumpsquat)
Jump(With Jumpsquat)
Short hop

Scenario 2:
Shine
Jump(With Jumpsquat)
Shine on second frame possible
Jump(Without Jumpsquat)
Airdodge Down
Airdodge Landing Lag
Short hop

Scenario two becomes worse, because you need to add an action to get to the right position to begin your sh. This is not a fair comparison for the aerial shine though, as the intent of scenario 1 here is to do extended shield pressure or to aerial drift and escape.

The aerial shine to airdodge down is specifically to set up being able to chase the opponent's escape choice.

I would argue though, that grounded doubleshining into holding b to allow a delayed wd out of shield would accomplish the same thing as aerial wavedash down, but the movement would be awkward as ****, and would commit you in other ways, where the aerial shine puts you in standing instead of waiting in shine.
The problem I have with viewing it this way is you have completely left out the possibility of going from grounded shines into a WD as opposed to a straight down WD. The whole thing that I dislike about the aerial shine is that you force yourself to airdodge straight down. You'll pretty much never be able to punish quick rolls and WDs OoS when you're airdodging straight back to where you jumped from, and airdodging diagonally would just eat up even more frames leaving you even more vulnerable in between the second and third shine than you already are. Sure, if you want to airdodge straight down in both situations, aerial double shine won't be much slower, but why would you ever want to commit yourself to a lack of mobility like that? If the shine connects, you're probably not going to be able to combo straight out of it. You probably won't be able to catch any rolls or WDs OoS. You don't protect yourself from grabs or OoS attacks. When you stay grounded, you have so many more possibilities:

- You can combo straight from a grounded shine on hit even if they DI well because you can waveshine towards them.
- You can WD immediately after the shine to get concrete punishes on rolls/WDs OoS with standing attacks (not just desperation dash attacks or aerials that were necessary because you were running towards them as opposed to WDing).
- You can SHL out of shine to chase their OoS options.
- You can grab.
- You can SH an aerial.
- And last, but not least, you can shine again.

NONE of those are even options once you decide to leave the ground and aerial shine. The best part about staying grounded is that you can, as long as you are confident in your tech skill, relegate your pressure to another shine iteration. I don't think ANYONE would ever suggest just shining over and over, so I want to make it clear that's not what I'm suggesting (since I agree with your description of multishining being pressure with a different intent than pressure with WLs). However, that shouldn't undermine the mixup between single, double, triple, quadruple shines, etc. Simply being able to chain 3-4 shines together makes your opponent think twice every time they try to escape, whereas with the aerial double shine they will predictably escape after the second shine, but there's nothing you can do anyway (except keep pressuring their new location, but that hardly seems efficient or effective). Even if you're just thinking about pressure involving solely shines and airdodges, grounded shines let you continuously rearrange you positioning and protects you when you want to WD/WL because there is a threat of another shine. Once you're in the air and they've waited out the second shine, they are free to move as they please, whereas if you had stayed grounded, they would have to worry about the shine vs. WD mixup. If they happen to guess correctly as to when you will WD/WL, then you're not going to be any worse off than if you had done an aerial shine instead.

So considering all this, I am baffled as to how anyone could still consider airdodging down superior pressure. The only pro I've heard is the one thing I've known at the beginning of the discussion; it saves a few frames getting to the ground after the second shine compared to going through jumpsquat. I've already layed out why this seems like a small factor in the grand scheme of things, and I am quite interested in finding out how many frames it actually even saves if anyone is up to doing the dirty work with AR/Dolphin.

D

Deleted member

the sooner people start subjecting their own decisions to unbiased, objective inquiry, the better off they will be.

in and out of smash.

the big "why?" is really important.

edit: tonight i'll update Drastic Improvement by adding the section on the importance of theory. it should facilitate this discussion quite well.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Bones, I didn't ignore that option. I addressed it with the whole "you could hold down b, so that the frames where you can jump out of shine are extended, but its awkward". The whole reason you have to keep holding b is that, if you were to go straight from shine to WDing in a direction, you would be guessing the opponent's defensive action. The lack of the very slight airdodge pause is actually working against you, because you're submitting yourself to random outcome rather than winning the outcome by reacting and making decisions. At that point, I'd argue just going for shine->grab or doubleshine->grab instead of shinehold->react or doubleshinehold->react.

The issue with multishining is that a large component of it is autopilot. The gap from autopiloting those multishines to hitting the opponent and reaction following adds a ton of empty frames, in which your opponent gains a large degree of control back. You only want to be as fast as you can effectively make decisions. Being faster than your decision making leads to bad plays and inefficient followups.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
you can combo pretty well with the Westballz shines ( lets call it that for short ) if you react its just like a regular double shine except WD down give you more options ...and it pretty un-punishable ..

the only thing that can punish probably that westballz shine is probably shiek nair or Shine oos n samus -__- but those have to be done pretty much perfect or your gonna get shined lol ....and if you mess us a double shine on the ground and get stuck in the lag ( i see it happen OFTEN ) you get punished but with the WB Shines ...you dont have that risk

Superspright

Smash Lord
His entire quote was inaccurate... You can't punish rolls after an airborne shine unlike with grounded shines. The aerial shine also does nothing a grounded shine wouldn't to shields. They have the same amount of stun. The only advantage of aerial shines is that you can keep yourself safe from grabs and still shine pretty late and also utilize platforms immediately from your DJ.

^My interpretation of your post.

I'm confused. My whole point was that Wes's pressure makes it much more difficult than it needs to be to capitalize on responses to pressure because he's airborne and wasting valuable frames. If you're saying that I need to look beyond punishing my opponent's OoS options/positioning, then I must admit I'm lost...

Powershielding doesn't let you grab any earlier than normal... I do agree lightshielding + shield DIing is valuable, but it has some serious drawbacks. The lighter your shield, the more stun and shield damage you take from hits. I'm pretty sure Falco can quite easily lock opponents into shield if they are light shielding as long as he can drift far enough forward with his dairs. Either way, lightshield grabbing is super dumb because of how much stun you have, so even if you're spaced perfectly, it's super risky to throw out a grab almost twice as slowly as you would have been able to if you had hardshielded. I've said it before, but I think simply getting good at shield DIing with hard shield is next level metagame. It'll become just another element of spacing, and it will introduce more mixups because of people trying to mix up their timings, not to avoid grabs/OoS attacks, but to mess up their opponent's shield DI (and thus making them roll by accident). It's comparable to when people started tomahawking because opponents held shield expecting SHFFLs.

I would jam another penny in for good measure.

But that's just my two cents.
I was aware that grab is no faster out of powershield...but you are 100% right about lightshielding. I need to work on shield SDI. I play Ganon so if he can scoot away from attacks and crossovers he would be again be a viable contender for top.

Powershield SDI away->Option would be amazing as well in a year or two if someone can get it down.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones, I didn't ignore that option. I addressed it with the whole "you could hold down b, so that the frames where you can jump out of shine are extended, but its awkward". The whole reason you have to keep holding b is that, if you were to go straight from shine to WDing in a direction, you would be guessing the opponent's defensive action. The lack of the very slight airdodge pause is actually working against you, because you're submitting yourself to random outcome rather than winning the outcome by reacting and making decisions. At that point, I'd argue just going for shine->grab or doubleshine->grab instead of shinehold->react or doubleshinehold->react.

The issue with multishining is that a large component of it is autopilot. The gap from autopiloting those multishines to hitting the opponent and reaction following adds a ton of empty frames, in which your opponent gains a large degree of control back. You only want to be as fast as you can effectively make decisions. Being faster than your decision making leads to bad plays and inefficient followups.
Okay, I get what you're saying about why guessing is bad which is why I don't just WD out of shines all the time hoping for them to roll in my direction. I'm just looking at it as, I would rather guess and be right 1/3rd of the time instead of stay pressuring in place and not be able to capitalize on their OoS movement at all. I guess I'm just underestimating how viable punishing directly from shine WLs are though.

you can combo pretty well with the Westballz shines ( lets call it that for short ) if you react its just like a regular double shine except WD down give you more options ...and it pretty un-punishable ..

the only thing that can punish probably that westballz shine is probably shiek nair or Shine oos n samus -__- but those have to be done pretty much perfect or your gonna get shined lol ....and if you mess us a double shine on the ground and get stuck in the lag ( i see it happen OFTEN ) you get punished but with the WB Shines ...you dont have that risk
WDing down is never unpunishable. As it's been said a hundred times already in this thread, anything from shield grabbing to quick OoS attacks will work on both aerial shine WLs as well as grounded shine WLs. Any time you WL in front of someone, they can just grab you or roll away if they want to be safe. Airdodges just have too much lag for them to be used safely in shield pressure if they can predict when you will do it. The reason Westballz does't get grabbed constantly is because people are worried about his mixups which result in them getting thrashed around by Falco combos. Getting stuck in shine is just as much of a problem in the air as it is on the ground. Idk what you think is different between the two, but the getting stuck in shine is exactly the same. It just occurs any time you try to JC too early.

WestBallz

Smash Ace
This bones guy is talking out of a FRAME Perfect Perspective rather than humanly possible perspective. If you knew anything about this game then u would know tech skill is a giant portion of it. Which makes it HARD. Why don't people grab me out of my doubleshine? BECAUSE ITS HARD AS **** NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARRED!!!! HOW WOULD U KNOW WHAT PEOPLE THINK WITHOUT ASKING THEM!?!?! YOUR PSYCHIC?!!? . And its not worth the risk to the pros when they can easily get shined for not being perfect. They would rather go for something safer and thats where my dub shine comes in. People dont double shine perfectly on the ground everytime because its not a consistent way to shine. How big is the window to get a perfect doubleshine? What if u mess up? Doubleshine wd down is consistent. Nobody is perfect at this game thats why im almost never punished for my shines and thats why frame data is useless along with this bones dude.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
yo bones at a xanadu monthly one day, we gotta team double falco
you can rep the ENDR tag and ill rep BEAN
too legit to quit, and how do i do the light shield marth killer

Bones0

Smash Legend
This bones guy is talking out of a FRAME Perfect Perspective rather than humanly possible perspective. If you knew anything about this game then u would know tech skill is a giant portion of it. Which makes it HARD. Why don't people grab me out of my doubleshine? BECAUSE ITS HARD AS **** NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARRED!!!! HOW WOULD U KNOW WHAT PEOPLE THINK WITHOUT ASKING THEM!?!?! YOUR PSYCHIC?!!? . And its not worth the risk to the pros when they can easily get shined for not being perfect. They would rather go for something safer and thats where my dub shine comes in. People dont double shine perfectly on the ground everytime because its not a consistent way to shine. How big is the window to get a perfect doubleshine? What if u mess up? Doubleshine wd down is consistent. Nobody is perfect at this game thats why im almost never punished for my shines and thats why frame data is useless along with this bones dude.
I never said anything at all even remotely related to frame perfection. The only time I even said the word frame was when I was talking about how the only advantage aerial double shines provide over grounded double shines is the fact that they are a few frames faster. If I was thinking in terms of frame perfection, aerial double shine would be probably a lot more appealing... lol

I don't understand the rest of your post since you basically agreed with me. You're splitting hairs between me saying that people are scared vs. timing the grab being hard. Obviously, it is implied that the grab is hard if I'm saying good players are scared to go for it. You wouldn't be scared to go for super safe and easy tactics...

As far as what happens when you mess up a double shine, I wouldn't know. I never mess up double shines.

Ever.

yo bones at a xanadu monthly one day, we gotta team double falco
you can rep the ENDR tag and ill rep BEAN
too legit to quit, and how do i do the light shield marth killer
Ewww, double Falco... I'm down for some friendlies at least. lol

For the Marth-killer, I roll to the ledge, let go of L/R mid-roll, press and hold Z before the roll finishes, and then continue holding the stick in the direction you rolled (off stage) to shield DI. If you don't have time to get it set up, you just have to be good at light shielding manually. The light shield isn't even that important for getting onto the ledge; it's mostly so you don't get shield poked (you can see how that'd be a big issue lol).

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
Ewww, double Falco... I'm down for some friendlies at least. lol

For the Marth-killer, I roll to the ledge, let go of L/R mid-roll, press and hold Z before the roll finishes, and then continue holding the stick in the direction you rolled (off stage) to shield DI. If you don't have time to get it set up, you just have to be good at light shielding manually. The light shield isn't even that important for getting onto the ledge; it's mostly so you don't get shield poked (you can see how that'd be a big issue lol).
yea lol double falco is pretty terrible but whenever i see your at xanadu lets play some friendlies. sounds good man

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hoes On My **** Cuz I Look Like WestBallz.................

edit: Btw Cactuar Had A Lot Of Good Posts ITT
edit edit: And Bones Had Some Pretty Terrible Ones what Else Is New

KP17

Banned via Administration
Airdodging down with R ( i usually only use L) make the process a hell of a lot smoother for me.

Westballz what do you use?

JulianKaoEatsGrass

Smash Rookie
Stop spreading bad info your making the noobs even noobier. In matter of fact i actually invented the doubleshine wd down to punish them ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFLLLLLLLLLLLLLL People need to stop listening to this complete utter noob
LOLLLLL, yes! I'm sorry you had to find out this way bones, but your constant wall of texts of misinformation are only giving the new space animal the wrong idea on many things. And on a general note to the newer falco players, y'all should practice your fundamentals before you worry about learning to shield pressure like Westballz lol.

-stabbedbyaNIPPLE

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Doubleshine without leaving the ground isn't that hard lol, especially if you claw the controller and press Y with the side of your index finger. It's definitely something that's consistently possible

But yeah. I don't like WB shield pressure at all, especially the WD straight down part. I could probably grounded Shine OoS when he's WD'ing down.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
guys whats your jc shine records i got 29 with falco last night but i dont do more than a double shine in a match so i dont have much experience spamming it but it looks awesome. Falcos is so easy but i dontclaw so for fox i can only get like 8 but my fingers are done after that. my doubles are solid as hell which is very acceptable but yea, i dont know how i can train my fingers to be like lovage, wes, sw, and javi

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Play the game more and tech skill comes, practice things you know you can't do

And you can get 29 consecutive multishines lol?
If that's so then you don't need to downgrade to lovage/wes/sw/javi lol unless everyone is doing 29-shines and I'm out of the loop

Sham

Smash Rookie
yo new falco player here, I'm friends with jhfalcomain who started this thread. I have my advanced techniques down and i can shl and pillar etc.
im playin alot with jhf im glad to be in this thread cuz i need influence
im only 14 so help me out when i got questions'
That ain't falco

D

Deleted member

LOLLLLL, yes! I'm sorry you had to find out this way bones, but your constant wall of texts of misinformation are only giving the new space animal the wrong idea on many things. And on a general note to the newer falco players, y'all should practice your fundamentals before you worry about learning to shield pressure like Westballz lol.

-stabbedbyaNIPPLE
He's been told before that he has a reputation of giving misinformation. On the other hand, this site isn't exactly the best at giving exploring players privy access to top-end information. At least he has the testicular fortitude to try to figure things out on his own. Every theorist on this board has done it. I've done it. People you respect watch on youtube have done it. It's a learning process.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
guys whats your jc shine records i got 29 with falco last night but i dont do more than a double shine in a match so i dont have much experience spamming it but it looks awesome. Falcos is so easy but i dontclaw so for fox i can only get like 8 but my fingers are done after that. my doubles are solid as hell which is very acceptable but yea, i dont know how i can train my fingers to be like lovage, wes, sw, and javi
i feel like im pretty technical but i cant multishine that much =/ lol
..i guess i just such at mutishining i can get 3-4 constantly with falco and like 5-6 with fox but ...multishining is useless if you cant incorporate it a match ....

do it on shield or and do it it safe lol if your gonna be all flashy

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
i feel like im pretty technical but i cant multishine that much =/ lol
..i guess i just such at mutishining i can get 3-4 constantly with falco and like 5-6 with fox but ...multishining is useless if you cant incorporate it a match ....

do it on shield or and do it it safe lol if your gonna be all flashy
oh yea in the game im usually in and out on shields, i cant do the jump shine stuff you guys are doin, and theres no place for a triple shine with falco in a match, so being able to do 3-4 consistently is just as good as 100

and i gotta question, whats shield di cuz i see m2k jabbing through hax's shield and hes moving so how does he stay in range, how do i do that with shines on shield

Bones0

Smash Legend
oh yea in the game im usually in and out on shields, i cant do the jump shine stuff you guys are doin, and theres no place for a triple shine with falco in a match, so being able to do 3-4 consistently is just as good as 100

and i gotta question, whats shield di cuz i see m2k jabbing through hax's shield and hes moving so how does he stay in range, how do i do that with shines on shield
I disagree with the triple shine comment (see clip I posted earlier).

Shield DI is DIing during shield stun so that your character slides in shield. I am pretty certain that you can SDI during hitlag (even when you're in shield) and SDI (Smash DI) the same as usual. If M2K is moving as he is jabbing, it is either just the natural movement from Sheik's jab (like how Falcon's Gentleman makes him lunge pretty far with the knee hit), or he is slowly walking a tiny bit in between jabs. Either way, the only way you can deal with shield DI when multishining is to tilt the stick down and in the direction you want to go. You can actually move slightly to either side this way.

Generally, however, I would just recommend bailing on your pressure (grab or fade an aerial), or reposition with a waveshine right before your shines start missing. You can also sometimes just empty hop at that neat spacing where you are too far away to grab (because they shield DIed away), but close enough to nick their shield if they hold it. You want to avoid whiffing multishines in front of your opponent because their go-to option is almost always grab, and the chance of you shining on the same frame their grab reaches you is unlikely (and you're probably not able to hit most, if not all characters' hurtboxes before their grab reaches you). To avoid having to worry about this situation in general, I evaluate how deep I am on their shield as soon as I make contact with them. Sometimes they will dash/WD back or their hurtbox will recoil back after they throw out a move, and sometimes you just misspace your approach. If your approaching nair just barely reaches them, even doing one shine is pretty dangerous and you will often have to jab to cover your ass (I hate relying on jab mixups in front of peoples' shields more than ANYONE). The same goes for multishines of course, but you just have to judge how many shines you can do based on how far they typically go from a shine and how deep on their shield you landed.

Remember traction affects this, and every character has a different traction. Therefore, you should be multishining a lot less vs. a Luigi than vs. a Peach. You also have to react to the occasional lightshield people throw out. Often, it isn't even intentional because they may just press the trigger too slowly as you approach and you end up hitting them on a frame where they are lightshielding. I unfortunately don't know the exact frames on this, but because light shielding has so much more shield stun, I think you can actually safely waveshine into them over and over, keeping them locked in stun (if not, it's certainly enough stun to avoid getting caught by a grab or other OoS punish).

Honestly, most people (myself included) shouldn't even be focusing on this ****. Little tricks like multishining and shield dropping are why I'm still bad at actually playing the game. I mostly only even bothered with this stuff because I'm in the middle of nowhere and practicing vs. comps got boring. It backfired because now I go to events and I am constantly focused on properly executing my encyclopedia of tiny tricks.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
Honestly, most people (myself included) shouldn't even be focusing on this ****. Little tricks like multishining and shield dropping are why I'm still bad at actually playing the game. I mostly only even bothered with this stuff because I'm in the middle of nowhere and practicing vs. comps got boring. It backfired because now I go to events and I am constantly focused on properly executing my encyclopedia of tiny tricks.
bones are you gonna make that big jump as a player cuz your pretty good?
this is the next generation right here, im still only 16 but ima try and make my big jump as a player
i feel technically sound, im just missing that summer where i stay over m2ks house for 3months smashing all night long
and i have college, i need to go in the hyperbolic time chamber cuz i need some serious work yo
also, i lack intelligence as a player, di, mindgames, choice of moves, i need to learn how to be dope as **** cuz my combo di is ****
need help cuz i wanna play like westballz and mango. I need someone to make a thread that teaches me the exact way to be good the right way.
right now westballz and mango look like the most intelligent players and i needa get viable for apex pools and stufff
so confused, plzzzzzzz help, GOKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bones0

Smash Legend

also, i lack intelligence as a player, di, mindgames, choice of moves, i need to learn how to be dope as **** cuz my combo di is ****

I need someone to make a thread that teaches me the exact way to be good the right way.
1. I'd rather not think about it because it's more of a playing to win mentality instead of playing to learn/improve. I've been reading Wobbles' blog, and he talks a lot about how he is always comparing himself against ideal gameplay and how that leads to frustration and slowing his improvement. I do a lot of the same stuff as him mentally, so I've been trying to stop worrying about starting to upset good players. That's why I didn't enter the last Xanadu monthly and just MMed people instead. When I try to just win right now above all costs, I end up playing like a jackass by switching to secondaries and going for ridiculous gimps or general strategies that are risky and inefficient, or things I have little to no experience with. Instead, I am trying to go back to basics. I'm trying to get rid of bad habits I should have gotten rid of a long time ago (LHDLing almost every time, shielding constantly on platforms so I can shield drop) and instill good habits that I should have been doing from day 1 (Cactuar: "Always be dash dancing"). None of it's even hard. I know because I will occasionally actually prioritize my focus properly and play in god mode, but then I get up a stock or two and start going back to fancy **** because I feel like I got better when, in reality, I only demonstrated conscious competence and I need to get it to unconscious competence.

2. If you are able to identify your own problems as a player, you have no excuse to not be improving, even when you may not have access to a bunch of good players and advice. PP didn't have any Armada-level Peach players to practice against every day before going into Apex. He just looked critically at his gameplay (both as he was playing and videos), brainstormed for solutions to problems (NOT tricks/gimmicks; SOLUTIONS), and then he practiced these solutions to the best of his ability, calibrating as he went along. If you know you are DIing incorrectly, all it takes is single day of friendlies for you to sit down and focus on it. If you went a single day focusing (almost) entirely on your DI, you would get SO much better it's ridiculous. Then you just need to make sure it sticks the next day you play. If the next day you play you notice yourself missing more DIs than you did the first day where you had 90% focus on it, you need to do it again until you no longer have to think about it. All it really takes is discipline. When you go to play friendlies, you need to have an objective in mind. Saying "oh, I want to improve my DI today" and playing exactly how you always do will do nothing for you. I'm sure you've heard the quote "If you want something you've never had before, you have to be willing to do something you've never done before." The same holds true for Melee. Even if you have no idea where to start with improvement, you just have to change something- ANYTHING, and you can build from that.

3. I don't think you can (or should) ever rely on someone else to learn something. You will never appreciate the knowledge as much, nor will you have the same level of understanding as someone who figures it out on their own. A player that sits down for a week with his friend practicing DDing is going to be infinitely better than a player that sits down for a week with his coach practicing whatever inputs his coach tells him to use. A coach/tutor/that guy from Pokemon with all the wise quotes can only facilitate growth, but it is up to the player himself to do the actual learning. Even if learning this way was effective, there is no single player that possesses knowledge of some one, absolute, true way to play. Anyone who tells you otherwise shouldn't be trusted because that means they probably aren't willing to hold their own ideas up to criticism. I've met people in both Melee as well as other games that were good but refused to challenge their strategies. They would refuse to believe that the strategy they had developed wasn't optimal or perhaps even absolute garbage. These people can get to a pretty high level, but they'll always cap out because they can't bear to think they might have wasted their time. Ironically, they end up wasting more time than others trying to force suboptimal strategies for the sole fact that they have made those strategies their own. This kind of goes back to what Umbreon says in his Drastic Improvement thread about people wanting to have their own unique style. They want to do things their way instead of doing whatever yields actual results.

I also don't mean to suggest that I'm not guilty of this myself. I think every player has this sense of resistance against changing his strategy, and sometimes that can serve him well as he may really break down a barrier and push his strategy past the previously considered optimal option. The trick is knowing how far to push an idea before backing off and exploring other options. There was an AMAZING day[9] daily about this very subject that got posted on SmashBoards a long time ago, but I can't find it, so hopefully someone randomly knows which one I'm talking about before I resort to looking through all 10,000 of his videos to find it.

FOUND IT, **** YEAH! There are 4 parts.

[collapse=Part 1]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Part 2]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Part 3]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Part 4]
[/collapse]

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
Thats real deep bones and i still havent figured it out.
I know theres a process to melee, where your goals each game are to master and hold this process, it doesnt apply to just falco, but every player
If you stick with the process you will succeed, dont let your opponent take your process,
Really, if someone knows the process please tell me, I know having techskill is awesome and having monster di is perfect
but theres some process to this game i dont get that other players get. I was always told to learn to do things the right way
so theres a right way to lean to play this game, a right way to play in the given situation, the right way to punish, and the right way to finish
i think gameplay goes beyond spacing and lazers, i think cactuar kk and wobbles and other veterans could understand this championship mentality
do the process and fight to stay on top and your chances are bettered. this game is beyond muscle memory, mango understands
people think hes just an alcoholic bum whos amazing at smash but he is so consistent at sticking to his process and once his process was established, he was free to add extra to dangerous things in the game. Thus being an impenetrable force both mentally and physically
Ima talk to the real smash brothers like cactuar and kk and pp, being around the right people helps too,
dont let your opponent take your process. thats all

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Bones0 I got my platz down now. Thank for the little tips. I feel like shield drop and isai drops are sufficient for now. I might look at no impact dropping later. Falco is fun man.

**** the Falco social thread.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones0 I got my platz down now. Thank for the little tips. I feel like shield drop and isai drops are sufficient for now. I might look at no impact dropping later. Falco is fun man.

**** the Falco social thread.
The only time I worry at all about no-impact landings is when I'm LHing onto side plats. Especially on YS, it's easy to accidentally land on the plat trying to LH a dair.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
this is the next generation right here, im still only 16 but ima try and make my big jump as a player
i feel technically sound, im just missing that summer where i stay over m2ks house for 3months smashing all night long
and i have college, i need to go in the hyperbolic time chamber cuz i need some serious work yo
need help cuz i wanna play like westballz and mango. I need someone to make a thread that teaches me the exact way to be good the right way.
right now westballz and mango look like the most intelligent players and i needa get viable for apex pools and stufff
so confused, plzzzzzzz help, GOKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im happy to see younger players like you guys so driven to get better ...happy yall will be keeing melee alive ...

Top Bottom