• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Live Longer With Puff

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Right so, playing with the lightest character in the game sucks. But luckily you can do some things to live longer..;)

Skip this part if you already know about general DI stuff..
First off I'll try to tl;dr how to survive longer in general as explained from this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969
(You should read the whole thing sometime because it will explain it much better then I)

When you are first hit by an attack, you should try to SDI during hitlag frames to make yourself farther from the blastzones you're about to be sent to. Hitlag frames are when you are "stuck" after being hit with an attack, and during these frames you can actually move a bit by using SDI. You can SDI by inputting directions; the best way to do so is doing a quarter circle with the control stick from the opposite direction you are about to be sent. As an example, If you're being knocked upwards, you should input down left, down, down right (or the other way around). To get a bit more SDI as you're doing this, you can also use the c-stick since it registers a movement, but the quartercircle method doesn't work. You have to set the c-stick to neutral before you can input another direction. After the hitlag frames are over you'll want to DI towards where a blastzone corner is, as the corners are farther then the sides or the ceiling.
-
Now for the Jigglypuff specific part. After you are sent flying; you want to use your shortest aerial to break out of hitstun as soon as possible and then fastfall if you need to reduce vertical momentum. Jigglypuff's shortest is bair. Just doing bair and drifting (moving) away from where you're being sent will make you travel less farther. After using bair you will still have momentum, and Jiggly has some options to follow up.

Horizontal: Jumping is said to reduce horizontal momentum but it doesn't do much and it gives you a very unfriendly vertical boost. Rollout can actually cancel her horizontal momentum completely; but you must charge it for about half a second for it to do anything. It's better then jumping, but it is a bit laggy after. I don't think it should kill you from the ending lag as long as you don't press backwards. Probably should test that. Anyways, the BEST method to slowing down horizontal momentum is Pound. It doesn't completely cancel the momentum like Rollout but it comes out faster and it slows Puff down a bit. It also gives you a vertical boost no matter what Pound you use, however falling Pound gives you less amount. Please note that if you're not careful the big jumps from jump and Pound CAN kill you if you go too high, luckily Pound isn't too risky and if you are below the corner the vertical boost will actually let you live longer.

Vertical: Vertically you can't do much, because Pound will make Jiggs die faster. I don't think Rollout affects your vertical momentum and I can't be bothered to test it anyways because fastfalling is already more effective then having to charge Rollout. Just fastfall and move toward a corner. Also to mention, be careful if you are using tap jump as you may DI too much upwards accidently and kill yourself faster then you should from a horizontal kill.

I also made a meh vid trying to demonstrate most of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjd-sRIoBM

If I had any false statements please correct me or whatever. Thanks for reading ~

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Haha, nice work. Never knew Jiggly's Rollout canceled all her horizontal momentum :x
I could def. see this stuff working, and i may have to start playing with TJ off :(

Very useful, though.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I will definently implement this into my gameplay and and see how it affects my survival,good demonstrational video btw :bigthumbu

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
This is all excellent research and great information. Thank you. I plan to use this.

So, is it the charging of rollout or the rolling itself that cancels the momentum? If it's just the charge, could you not do a fully charged rollout to the stage/on a ledge?

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Thanks for the responses.

Charging Rollout does nothing to your momentum, it's the release. You wouldn't be able to fully charge it as you'll die way before you can; which is why you should just charge it for a little bit. Or use Pound which is better.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Excellent, good to know. Chances are that I'll try and use pound from now on.

Besides the whole 'being vulnerable' thing, is there no point where partly charging a rollout would be better than pound? Like, I'm talking insane timing and getting it right between 'does nothing' and 'slightly forward'. I would just feel better only using pound if I knew there was no advantage at all to rollout.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Like I said, Pound gives you a vertical boost that can kill you if you're not careful, and Rollout has no effect on vertical momentum; so use Rollout if you think you will die of the vertical boost from Pound (tbh not even sure how useful Rollout would be since I've only been using Pound). It's some Brawl mechanic that penalizes players from abusing special moves in momentum, but it will still let you live longer if you use it correctly.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Alright then, good to know. I will probably use pound like you do, and try and do a falling pound if I want to reduce the vertical rise a little.

T-block

B2B TST
I'll let it slide because this board isn't particularly overflowing with threads, but can we at least try to add content if we're going to bump old threads?

Top Bottom