• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better?

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
the only way to improve is to get your *** kicked by people better than you. in all honesty talking strats on a board is good but it only gets you so far, and its not very far at all :|

you just gotta get your *** handed to you enough times until you figure out how to win

0Room

Smash Lord
Well you can start by researching.
Researching problems, issues, thoughts, match ups, character strengths, advice [which you're clearly doing here]
A good place to start is here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307911

Are you having problem with a particular match up, or movement idea? Almost all of the good ideas that Falcon players have had has been cataloged and indexed in that thread, it just takes a little bit of searching to find what you're looking for.

If you know what in particular you want to improve on it makes things substantially easier
Uploading a video to here can get you pointers
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297643

And generally just asking questions will get you answers
I've seen your combo video, and seen you around since...a few years ago now, so I know that you have some basic knowledge
It's just specifics that we really need to know before we can help you

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
I asked the same question to shiz once.

His exact words were "You have to play to learn"

Pretty much all I do when playing friendlies is to try and learn something about either my opponent or the situation i've been dealt with. Same goes for tournament, if you lose in tournament you better have damn learned something.

I kill myself a lot, I go for over the top combos a lot, I test the whackiest **** and implement the dumbest crap into my game A LOT. Once you start sorting out what works and doesn't, and how the game can be played specifically to your style and taste. That's when you really start to improve (I feel lol)

I would post videos for critiquing as 0room said, him and windrose are pretty good about giving solid feedback.

Next time you're playing friendlies and you're tech-chasing someone and totally botch your knee. Think to yourselves these three questions

1) Was the Knee the best choice in the situation?

2) Why did I miss the Knee? Was it because of Techskill? (I sometimes mess up the timing on a shffl'd knee in some cases and hit with a weak instead of strong, things like this; CONSISTENCY AND FLOW IS KEY TO FALCON)| Overshot/Undershot Positioning? | etc..

3) How can I correct the mistake? Don't get into that situation/scenario? | Use a different move? | Do something off timing to bait or force a different situation? | etc...

I use that same thought process and it works for me so why not give it a try

Windrose

Smash Lord
play lots of different people really helps. i find it's really bad if you play against the same person all the time because you're just learning how to beat that person rather than how to become better overall.

0Room

Smash Lord
Well kinda
Just had a huge tournament in the midwest

Just means you gotta restart your scene [look here], [here], [and here]

Take a few people as your pupil and train them
Take it slow and explain to them what they're doing, what they wanna do
[see this]

Just take it slow and be consistent and viola
Life begins anew

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
you dont quite understand the midwest

you live closer to that tournament than he does

0Room

Smash Lord
Lol I didn't say that everyone in the midwest was close to each other
I was just pointing out that there was a tournament in the MW so that the entire MW isn't dead

It's like saying that the EC is dead because the area I live in doesn't play as much
So I was saying that's not necessarily true

Smokey Huntz

Smash Apprentice
Iz all about the character matchups knowing a small flaw in your opponents character that you can exploit gives a major *** advanage

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Eh actually I find myself messing up too much and not being able to do stuff I usually was able to do so its cool. I'm gonna try to gradually let go of the game.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
It might just be nerves. I find myself messing up basic tech skill when I'm too focused on winning. I start pressing buttons harder which my subconscious tells me will help the situation.

It doesn't.

I've done the best in matches where I was most relaxed. I even sit back when I play.

Helps keep me from getting too frustrated.

0Room

Smash Lord
Well honestly you don't shouldn't even think about winning or losing
It doesn't exist

The only that exists is you and your opponent in this moment
Sets don't matter
Matches don't matter

Only outmanuvering and outsmarting them matters
If you think about "winning" or "losing" you're putting your mind outside of where it needs to be
Which is here and now

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Well honestly you don't shouldn't even think about winning or losing
It doesn't exist

The only that exists is you and your opponent in this moment
Sets don't matter
Matches don't matter

Only outmanuvering and outsmarting them matters
If you think about "winning" or "losing" you're putting your mind outside of where it needs to be
Which is here and now
I understand that. I just mess so much up that it becomes not fun.

0Room

Smash Lord
Totally understand
Just keep playing and focus on certain things
Like movement or playing quickly or edgeguarding

And then once you have it it'll become natural
So when you keep playing then you won't have the problem

Windrose

Smash Lord
0room is right, just focus on playing well. Winning or losing is not important.

I like how Silent Spectre said it in his youtube interview. You shouldn't try to be better than someone or be the best in the world. You should try to be the best that you can be.

It would suck if you go through a tournament and lose because you weren't playing well. It'd also be meaningless when you beat someone while playing half-***** and terrible.

0Room

Smash Lord
Yep
And if you don't know the answers to those questions, there's a wonderful video critique thread you can post to

Windrose

Smash Lord
I watched the videos...there's a lot of things I want to say but I don't know what's important....

I'm sure you alreayd know a lot of ur own weaknesses from experience and watching your own videos....

OneWing_Angel

Smash Apprentice
I'm no pro or anything, but I see a couple of things that are fairly major here.

The Important Stuff:
- Do you JC Grab? I'm seeing lots of missed grab opportunities from that alone.
- Double jumping to an aerial can be a good mixup after a tech, but you miss chances to combo because of it in a few cases, and alot of the times it did work, it wouldn't work against a player you don't already know how to play against.
- Following up with the last comment, it looks like you play the Fox player alot. You know how he techs before the match even starts. I know the scene is tiny, but try your best to play different people. You're making bad habits by playing the same person, because you'll try the same things against better players and wonder why it doesn't work.
- Work on edgeguarding, I'm not great at it either lol.
- You recover pretty blandly. Watch SilentSpecter recover. I've never seen anyone recover so well with Captain Falcon. But you only get good at recovering by playing people that **** the **** out of you. : D
- Space your aerials better, ESPECIALLY nairs. You missed lots of combos because you hit him in a weird way, which sucks because you did alot of the RIGHT moves with not the best choice of spacing.

The Good Stuff:
- Both of you guys are actually pretty technical, so good ****.
- You know WHICH moves to use and WHEN, but not how to PLACE them.
- You are NOT bad, we all have stuff to work on. Except Mang0.
- Not really good stuff, but tell the Fox to nair-shine. SO MANY MISSED COMBOS.

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
When I watched that first video, I thought you were doing pretty good from what I can tell, just work on Jump Cancelling your grabs and spacing your aerials (like everyone else was saying).

I also have the problem of the multitude of people I have to play against as well. Live in Eau Claire with two other people who play Melee so I learn to play those two pretty well...recently went to a tourney in Madison and got destroyed pretty badly...but in friendlies I won 2/3 of matches...so I've got to work on my nerves, not sure if that is a problem for you.

And yes, Silent Spectre's recoveries are amazing. I don't see how he ledge cancels it all the time...too good.

Cleod

Smash Cadet
Practice is key to winning, practice your reflexes and try to have quick hand coordination. You should play level 1 cpu to improve your combos, I certainly don't recommend playing level 9 always since no human is ever going to react as fast as a lvl 9 can unless you ofc plan to play cpu forever

Hax

Smash Champion
move faster, approach less, perfect your combos

congratulations you are now a professional super smash bros melee player

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Just make sure you are hitting all of your fast-falls, and fast-falling as soon as possible, right at the peak of your jump.

In fact, always fast-fall, unless it will kill you, or something.

Top Bottom