• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight against Diddy Kong?

JST

Smash Apprentice
Out of any match-ups I have, more than MK, more than Snake, more than Falco ROB Marth etc, Diddy Kong gives the most trouble hands down. In fact I feel my spirits crushed every time I know that I am about to face Diddy. No matter which of main I use (DDD, G&W), no matter which secondary I use (DK, Falco), hell no matter WHAT character I use (Luigi, Wolf, Kirby, MK Snake) I get ***** HARD by Diddy's relentless banana > Every-move-he-can-do assaults and it obscenely frustrating. Every time I face Diddy I try to pick Battlefield but they end up banning it and if I CP Rainbow Cruise they just go MK (Which is not a problem).

Back when I used DK and G&W the most, Diddy gave me trouble. I main DDD now, and Diddy still gives me trouble, but not NEARLY as much as when I mained G&W and DK. Out of all the characters I use, my DDD, my Falco, and my MK (Who I don't even really use - just for fun) put up the best fight against a good Diddy.

Anyone have any tips on fighting Diddy? Or at least shutting him out/shutting down his banana game?

ADHD

Smash Hero
learn to handle them, thats your problem

You don't know the matchup, if you play to learn rather than win vs diddy then you can overcome your problem

DUB

Smash Lord
Aerial approaches are good against Diddy. The naners are easier to dodge, plus no tripping which is why I hate playing Peach >.<

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet
You should use falco every time vs diddy. I don't see how you are having trouble if you are using falco vs diddy.
A good diddy can still give falco a really hard time.

Basically, learn the naners game. Make it hard for him to pull out bananas. When he already has some out, spot dodge only if the banana is being thrown from close range and will go past you. If you shield it, roll away before it lands on the ground from bouncing off your shield. Whether your shielding or air/spot dodging, try to time it last second so there's a good chance you'll catch the banana instead. Approach from air, especially if you're D3 since you have the extra jumps. Even if you get hit by a banana in the air, you won't slip. Also watch for the peanut gun when approaching from the air. It might be worthwhile to learn how to grab a banana as you land if you're fighting in the air a lot. You just airdodge right as you are about to land on a banana, needs practice to get timing down. Since D3's running attack leaves him very open, I would advise walking up to bananas and just picking up with A instead. Also, whenever you have a banana, don't just immediately throw it forward all the time. It's predictable and we know how to avoid it.

Once you get past the bananas, you just have a normal character with 3 spikes and a high tier move set XD

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet
You're character does react when they're hit with a banana in mid-air. They do some sort of "slip" like reaction.
Of course, they're being hit by a projectile. It's on the level of the peanut gun though, interrupting aerials and movement slightly. It leaves you nowhere near as open as the slip animation on the ground.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Use fast characters like MetaKnight, or really floaty characters like Peach. If the character is fast, then Diddy can have a tricky time competing for Bananas. If the character is floaty, then hitting them becomes hard.

DUB

Smash Lord
Back when I used DK and G&W the most, Diddy gave me trouble. I main DDD now, and Diddy still gives me trouble, but not NEARLY as much as when I mained G&W and DK. Out of all the characters I use, my DDD, my Falco, and my MK (Who I don't even really use - just for fun) put up the best fight against a good Diddy.

Diddy's matchups against MK and DDD are pretty 50/50 if im not mistaken. Stage selection might be your best bet. If you say you can do well on Rainbow Cruise against Diddeh with your MK ( which makes perfect sense) you should try some other stages.

I suggest Luigi's Mansion. It's an annoying place to use nanerz because the pillars intercept the Diddy's throws leaving you to pick up the naner if you want.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Just three things.

-Catch the nanas
-Throw the nanas
-Combo with his nana's
I like how you make it sound like that's easy to do.

It's harder to turn his banana against him than it appears, especially when it's just as easy for him to catch them back, they spawn under his control, and his dash attack is uber.

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
The main problem is banana's, you might have you play the safe game until you're close to punish DidK for trying to pull out bananas.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Don't waste any single banana you steal and you'll just cut off diddy's pressure game... May be hard to do cus the diddy will always have more nana training and habits.

As DUB said, some stage strategy could be usefull. Diddy is a beast on flat grounds, so counterpick the right stages ^.^

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
If you second Falco start playing him a lot. Everytime you predict a banana coming at you shine it and it becomes yours and Diddy will trip instead. Also remember that Diddy's recovery is pretty sucky so abuse your chain grab to spike because it's almost a definite kill. Another thing to abuse would be Falco's dash attack. It's very quick, almost instant, and has no ending lag and you can use this to pick up bananas and use them against Diddy.

He is a pretty hard match-up for most characters but if you play smart, apply a lot of pressure and watch his habits you can handle him. Especially with Falco just try to stay in close range and abuse his gayness.

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet
Don't waste any single banana you steal and you'll just cut off diddy's pressure game... May be hard to do cus the diddy will always have more nana training and habits.

As DUB said, some stage strategy could be usefull. Diddy is a beast on flat grounds, so counterpick the right stages ^.^
Yes, if this is in a tournament setting you should be counter picking stages with platforms (although the diddy player will most likely have banned battlefield)

JST

Smash Apprentice
Diddy's matchups against MK and DDD are pretty 50/50 if im not mistaken. Stage selection might be your best bet. If you say you can do well on Rainbow Cruise against Diddeh with your MK ( which makes perfect sense) you should try some other stages.

I suggest Luigi's Mansion. It's an annoying place to use nanerz because the pillars intercept the Diddy's throws leaving you to pick up the naner if you want.
I actually play DDD on Rainbow Cruise (Best stage ever along with Pokemon Stadium btw), but using MK might not be such a bad idea. The Luigi's mansion thing is actually pretty sick, I never thought about it. :)

Thank you so much for the advice, all of you :). Hopefully I can find a Diddy to fight against so I can try thinking about and employing the ideas you gave me. Also, I think I might try picking up Diddy myself just to understand the banana game better. :)

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Not that I am actually any good with this matchup myself. But really all you need to do is steal his bananas. Diddy is only decent when the Bananas are neutral in the equation.

By the way, the best way to catch the bananas is with a full hopped air dodge. This makes it MUCH easier to avoid getting nailed right as you try to steal the bananas. Then all you need to do is flesh out your own characters banana game and well then the bananas become a neutral point in the matchup and equally affect both players. Of course some characters arent going to be as good at using Diddys bananas as Diddy himself is, but as long as you can make them a mostly neutral point in the matchup then you should be able to do fine.

Shurk

Smash Cadet
Hmm, Not too sure about this whole "Without Banannas he sucks" thing. I started playing Diddy without ever using bananas, when brawl first came out. Just recently got into actually using them consistently. I feel like a good Diddy should be able to work with/without Bananas.

Flagelants

Smash Rookie
Hmm, Not too sure about this whole "Without Banannas he sucks" thing. I started playing Diddy without ever using bananas, when brawl first came out. Just recently got into actually using them consistently. I feel like a good Diddy should be able to work with/without Bananas.
I think using diddy without using bananas is like using jigglypuff without flying, or olimar without using pickmins.

I started using two bananas a while ago, it was really effective, but, i lost all my chances of spiking, using the peanut gun, doing the monkey kick and flip. The only thing i did was spamming the bananas, so i started using my 1 banana style instead, and i really loved it. It's identical with CHOMPYS Playing style actually, but with one banana. Maybe you should try that too.

To the Topic, As everybody else says, use the bananas against the diddy.

Shurk

Smash Cadet
I think using diddy without using bananas is like using jigglypuff without flying, or olimar without using pickmins.

I started using two bananas a while ago, it was really effective, but, i lost all my chances of spiking, using the peanut gun, doing the monkey kick and flip. The only thing i did was spamming the bananas, so i started using my 1 banana style instead, and i really loved it. It's identical with CHOMPYS Playing style actually, but with one banana. Maybe you should try that too.

To the Topic, As everybody else says, use the bananas against the diddy.
I never had the problem of losing any moves while doing bananas...perhaps you should look into that.

@Topic: If the Diddy is reliant heavily on bananas. Eat his bananas ;)

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet
This is a gross underestimation of diddy's moveset outside of his bananas. You can do very well without ever using them on stage. He's got good speed, good priority, a great zoning f-tilt, good grabs, good running attack, good options for kills, and 3 spikes. I would say he at least makes mid tier without bananas and I've seen plenty of mid tier players destroy good mk's, snakes, etc. Don't get me wrong, bananas are amazing and it would be dumb not to utilize them, but let's not short-change diddy.

I personally like to switch taking the banana approach and regular approaches. It switches the game up and helps keep you rounded and the opponent off-guard. Sometimes I start bananas, go a whole stock without them, then finish it with bananas again, or something like that. It also allows you to switch your playstyle depending on the opponent. If they're slow and fat or heavy campers, I generally resort to bananas more. If, say, it's an especially good falco player or someone who's just really giving me a hard time with the bananas, i won't pull them out very often, if at all. If you're good at playing brawl without any gimmicks (i.e. good spacing, well placed shields and spot dodges, and predicting your opponents moves), you'll be surprised at how well diddy does without his bananas.

Top Bottom