• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to create and edit BRSTM files. (NEW TOOL ADDED)

Doval

Smash Lord
I use Wavosaur and haven't had any problems sticking 44100 Hz songs into the game either.

I'm new to all this audio editing stuff, and I had a hard time getting this whole looping thing down, so I'd like to share what I've learned here. You can enter a number that's not divisible by 14336 when you're asked for the starting point of the loop. However, it seems the game will use the closest value smaller than what you entered that's a multiple of 14336. For example, if you enter 354432 as the loop start point, the song will loop at 344064. Obviously that'll wreck what would otherwise have been a seamless loop.

What I do is remove any unnecessary silence at the beginning of the file (all default songs in My Music stat immediately,) then find two points in the song where I can get a seamless loop going. I write down the sample number of both loop points. Then I find the closest sample that's bigger than the start point but still a multiple of 14336 - just divide the start point by 14336, round up, and multiply that by 14336. After I have my new starting point, I find the difference between that and the old one, and advance the ending point by that much.

For example, let's say I originally found the loop points to be 354432 and 3751168. The new start point would be 358400, since 354432/14336 = 24.7, and 25*14336 = 358400. The difference between the new start point and the old one is 3968. So the new ending point for the loop should be 3751168+3968 = 3755136. Then just crop out everything after the end of the loop and proceed as usual, using the new loop starting point when Androu1's tool asks for it.

Hope that helped.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I just edit the song so the 14336 loop point works, but I guess molding the song to that loop point works.

Androu1 made a new tool. I added it to the OP.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Okay guys, listen up.

I've talked to Androu1 about this a few months ago. He said that all Brawl songs use 32000 Hz. While this does not automatically mean other sample rates won't work in the game, it's best to use 32000 Hz to avoid any sound problems. Androu1 already tried it with BRSTMs from other games that use higher sample rates, and he can confirm that it does give sound problems.

So, always change the rate to 32000 Hz for Brawl to make sure you won't get any sound issues.

Kirbichu

Smash Apprentice
I would like to point out that you should not attempt to combine this with the latest nightly unless you like painfully loud beeping noises coming from what should be your custom songs. I have a feeling it has to do with the gameconfig.txt, so wait for the next nightly or a fix.
So THAT's what was wrong. I thought there was something wrong with my SD card. :lol:

Slashy

Smash Lord
Okay guys, listen up.

I've talked to Androu1 about this a few months ago. He said that all Brawl songs use 32000 Hz. While this does not automatically mean other sample rates won't work in the game, it's best to use 32000 Hz to avoid any sound problems. Androu1 already tried it with BRSTMs from other games that use higher sample rates, and he can confirm that it does give sound problems.

So, always change the rate to 32000 Hz for Brawl to make sure you won't get any sound issues.
I guess that is true, but I never ran into any issues.

Also, try the leveler plugin out, it can make your songs sound better if they are quiet.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
2 things:

If I change a song to 32000 hz, it screws up the quality of the song.

Also, Step 8... 'Change the time format to samples. Music will only loop properly on a starting point that is a multiple 14336.' What is Time Format? I can't find it anywhere, and I don't have what's in the screenshot at the bottom. I'm not downloading anything new for this... <_<

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
I use Wavosaur and haven't had any problems sticking 44100 Hz songs into the game either.

I'm new to all this audio editing stuff, and I had a hard time getting this whole looping thing down, so I'd like to share what I've learned here. You can enter a number that's not divisible by 14336 when you're asked for the starting point of the loop. However, it seems the game will use the closest value smaller than what you entered that's a multiple of 14336. For example, if you enter 354432 as the loop start point, the song will loop at 344064. Obviously that'll wreck what would otherwise have been a seamless loop.

What I do is remove any unnecessary silence at the beginning of the file (all default songs in My Music stat immediately,) then find two points in the song where I can get a seamless loop going. I write down the sample number of both loop points. Then I find the closest sample that's bigger than the start point but still a multiple of 14336 - just divide the start point by 14336, round up, and multiply that by 14336. After I have my new starting point, I find the difference between that and the old one, and advance the ending point by that much.

For example, let's say I originally found the loop points to be 354432 and 3751168. The new start point would be 358400, since 354432/14336 = 24.7, and 25*14336 = 358400. The difference between the new start point and the old one is 3968. So the new ending point for the loop should be 3751168+3968 = 3755136. Then just crop out everything after the end of the loop and proceed as usual, using the new loop starting point when Androu1's tool asks for it.

Hope that helped.
Thanks this helps a lot. Please add this to the OP for clarification on how to find the loop point .

Doval

Smash Lord
@Darkpikmin: I forgot to clarify that this is what I do for songs that already repeat (e.g. practically all songs that come from a video game.) Obviously if the song repeats itself, and you have two points in the song where you get a seamless loop, moving both loop points forward the same amount should still get you a loop.

But if what comes after (or before, depending on which way you're moving the loop points) isn't a repetition of the same loop, you'll probably screw it up. For example, assume the song has an intro and after the intro it just repeats the same loop. If the start of the loop you initially set was right after the intro ends, and you realize it's not divisible by 14336, and you move both loop points back to the nearest divisible value, you'd be catching part of the intro by moving them back. Likewise, if the song had an outro (for lack of a better word) after the end of the loop you chose, and you moved both loop points forward so it starts at a divisible value, you'd be getting part of the outro. So do be mindful of what comes before/after the first loop points you find.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
i don't have the thing at the bottom that lets you change seconds to samples.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
So I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to end up with a 0 KB sized brstm at the end. What am I doing wrong? I got to the point where I am able to get 2 wav files for L and R edited, but after I choose the loop point and it creates the brstm file, I check it and it's 0 KB. What's the deal?

Doval

Smash Lord
Might sound like a stupid question but did you actually replace the L and R wav files the tool generates with the L and R wave files for the song you're trying to put into the game?

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
So I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to end up with a 0 KB sized brstm at the end. What am I doing wrong? I got to the point where I am able to get 2 wav files for L and R edited, but after I choose the loop point and it creates the brstm file, I check it and it's 0 KB. What's the deal?
Ahh, I see... I know how to do this now. The output wav files HAVE to be mono 16 bit 32 kHz wav files. My previous ones were 32 kHz and 32-bit float, and even though it looked like it encoded it, it ended up not compiling the brstm file from the 2 DSP files successfully. Actually, I don't even remember if the DSP files were encoded correctly either. I've consistently created 32 kHz 16 bit files and all have worked well.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Ken, you need a bigger sd card. Probably a 1 GB one.

BTW, where can I get a brstm file for a song that i want to replace a song ingame with? Google isn't helping, really. @_@
Now, my problem is that I'm getting gaps between loops instead of it being continuous. The problem here is that I have a 2 GB SD card, so there's no way a bigger one would fix this right?

Edit: some songs have subtle gaps, such as my import of Multi-Man Melee 2 from Melee, but songs like Magmoor Caverns from Metroid Prime or Cover of Big Blue from F-Zero GX are experiencing HUGE gaps, around 1 - 2 seconds.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
2 questions.

1. Is there any way to force a song to a stage? Because it seems like on stages that pick a random song from many, you'd have to replace all of the .brstms.
2. Any chance of Mac support?
1. go to my music, move all the sliders to the left except the song you want to play(it's in options). that gives 100% chance of picking that song 4 that stage.
2. dunno

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
So this BS with the loop starting point having to be divisible by a number; is it a flaw of the game, or of Androu's tool and is it fixable? I've tried to get two songs to loop properly now and there is just no possible way to manipulate them so that ANY loop works.

Redlinkfs

Smash Rookie
I'm extremely frustrated... I put the dll things in both System and System32 folders, I put a .brsmt or whatever its called in the original song folder, I saved my wav from an mp3 at 32khz and 16 bits, then when I follow the prompts it says it was saved in my edited folder and I look and nothing's there. Wth am I doing wrong? Someone please help I've been at this for 5 hours now and still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
my game randomly freezes is because i didnt change the hz to 32000 because most of the songs i chose plays too slow on that speed.

Lohead

Smash Rookie
is anyone willing to reupload Androu1's tool? link is broken and i wanted to make and contribute some BRSTM's...or unless Androu1 wont allow anyone to reupload his tool?

Beat

Smash Ace
I found a tool for it on youtube. Does anyone know if it's safe to raise volume on tracks or will that mess them up in-game?

Beat

Smash Ace
Yeah, the link for the tool is down. Just look on youtube for a video about brawl and brstm files. There's a link for the tool in the vid description.

Also, internets for anyone who knows if having no 100% accurate loop point ****s the song up, I'm feeling slightly lazy...

Beat

Smash Ace
So... is there a tool to straight-edit brstm files? I made two amazing tracks... way too loud.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
So... is there a tool to straight-edit brstm files? I made two amazing tracks... way too loud.
Dantarion's tool's brstm's are usually a lot quieter...at least, that's what the request people tell me when they test them out...

KingSlimeKnight

Smash Apprentice
Dantarion's tool's brstm's are usually a lot quieter...at least, that's what the request people tell me when they test them out...
Yep, it's quieter, and replacing that song with a melee song makes it much more quieter. Go with Audacity or Goldwave if you like it loud.

Top Bottom