• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Beat the Blizzard Wall

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I've noticed you guys have had a real problem against the Ice Climber's Blizzard wall so I thought I'd give some tips to get around it since it's the one thing that makes the match up really hard for you and makes all of you think it's impossible to win.

First things First:

When punishing the Blizzard Wall you always want to hit Popo. Why?

1. He's the one you're trying to kill so adding percentage on him is a must
  2. hitting popo means you get a free grab or hit on Nana afterwards which means there separated, which is exaclty what you want. If you hit Nana while she's blizzarding Popo can retreat where as Nana won't since she's stupid AI.

Secondly, there is no way to out prioritize the blizzard wall, so you have show your spacing superiority by hitting your opponent's holes and openings while they do blizzard. This isn't easy and takes practice but makes the match up much easier.

Alright let's get started.

Blizzard Wall in Place

You only want to attack the wall head on if your opponent is approaching you with it. If they're doing it in place you want to throw pikmen over it onto popo and Nana's heads.

If you get a purple hit popo in the same way was mentioned before(On the top of his head). This will split them and give you the opportunity to gimp Nana or at least rack massive damage on Nana. You'll have to be in the air for the purple throw to hit correctly

The "Slowly Approaching" Blizzard Wall

When the opponent approaches with Blizzard wall you can use the purple pikmen the same way as mentioned before but now you have a new tool: Forward Smash.

Best pikmen to F-smash with:

1. Yellow: comes out really fast so it's easier to connect with it
  2. Blue/Red
  3. I'm not sure about white
  4. don't use purple

Okay so I hit Popo, now what do I do?

RUSH DOWN

One Last thing:

Sopo vs. Olimar is like 70:30 in Olimar's favor. Popo has no tools to get in. This also means that when you get them separated Popo has no tools to get in. So keep him out and get Nana killed.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
there was no mention of fair or dair...i am dissapointed
Please explain. I don't play Olimar so I only know what I've seen Rich Brown and logic use on me. anything to make this guide better would be much appreaciated

Zori

Smash Champion
rich never showed us any of this..... i was wondering how he beat atmosk

Padô

Smash Lord
NICE!

I always kept spamming my FSmash until I hit one of them out, now I know everything i gotta do is to hit Popo's feet :)

Dnyce

Smash Master
rich never showed us any of this..... i was wondering how he beat atmosk
I figured it out awhile ago, I still lose to hylian though, maybe I need to do it more =/

Also, RB possesses a magical power... which I like to call the RB-effect. The RB-effect occurs when you're playing olimar, and your name is rich brown, and Ice climbers drop 90% of the grabs they land.

Ask meep / atomsk. Trufax are tru

RichBrown

Smash Master
I'm a ***n genius LOL

For real though thanks for posting this, sorry I forgot to tell you guys about this XP

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
meh, just fsmashing like that doesn't work, iirc rich's and atom's most recent set went to atomsk (it was a socal toureny after MLG)

what a lot of olimars either don't realize, or don't utilize, is that nana's cpu...is abusable while blizzarding, if nana is jumping into the air, you can fair or dair her for a guaranteed hit, and if she is on the ground, you can just run in and upsmash while popo is still blizzarding. I haven't got down the upsmash timing yet, since the timing is absurd, but if my set vs. vinnie over the weekend gets put up on youtube, you will see how blizzard wall is not THAT bad

RichBrown

Smash Master
Man that set was dumb I killed myself at the end of game 1 when I had a substantial lead =( fsmashing the blizzard wall still works though, idk what that set has to do with our ability to fsmash the BW...

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i didn't mean it doesn't work, its just that mentioning fsmash beats blizzard wall, won't be enough to deal with the blizz wall

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
i didn't mean it doesn't work, its just that mentioning fsmash beats blizzard wall, won't be enough to deal with the blizz wall
If you wait for them to do it and punish them every time they do it how will it not be enough?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's kind of funny you don't mention how you should blizzard wall correctly against Olimar Gimr. Though I'm not sure you know. You can avoid being hit by almost everything olimar has(including fsmash) by dashing back or forward at appropriate times during blizzard, and substituting one of the blizzards with nair when you need to. I can't really show you how this is done, as it requires paying attention to the pikmin colors and your stage position in relation to olimar.

I still get hit sometimes out of blizz wall obviously, but I usually attribute that to either carelessly blizz walling when I don't think they know how to punish it or messing up my spacing/timing, or choosing to dash or use nair at the wrong time.

Dnyce

Smash Master
It's kind of funny you don't mention how you should blizzard wall correctly against Olimar Gimr. Though I'm not sure you know.
I was gunna post GIMRs all-too-helpful advice on the TL MU... but it wouldn't make sense cause most people haven't seen MJG play ICs, lol.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's kind of funny you don't mention how you should blizzard wall correctly against Olimar Gimr. Though I'm not sure you know. You can avoid being hit by almost everything olimar has(including fsmash) by dashing back or forward at appropriate times during blizzard, and substituting one of the blizzards with nair when you need to. I can't really show you how this is done, as it requires paying attention to the pikmin colors and your stage position in relation to olimar.

I still get hit sometimes out of blizz wall obviously, but I usually attribute that to either carelessly blizz walling when I don't think they know how to punish it or messing up my spacing/timing, or choosing to dash or use nair at the wrong time.
What you're talking about right now is reading the opponent. Sure you can read if he's gonna try and hit you during the blizzard wall and opt out, but at the same time your opponent can also read you and punish you for opting out.

The options you just mentioned involve delaying or ending the blizzard wall. I'm talking about how to punish an opponent who approached with an on going blizzard wall.l

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nah, I like it when people try to share knowledge, and what he's saying is correct. He just left out how the IC player should be blizzard walling correctly. Against most IC's this would probably get you by pretty well.

MJG you can't understand until you play him with IC's. -.-.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
MJG you can't understand until you play him with IC's. -.-.
I would love to play him even though I'd probably get wrecked, I don't like that match up already ^.^

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What you're talking about right now is reading the opponent. Sure you can read if he's gonna try and hit you during the blizzard wall and opt out, but at the same time your opponent can also read you and punish you for opting out.

The options you just mentioned involve delaying or ending the blizzard wall. I'm talking about how to punish an opponent who approached with an on going blizzard wall.l
Spacing /=/ reading your opponent. I'm talking about spacing blizzard wall correctly so they can't do the things you mentioned. If I see them throw a purple pikmin and dash back to pull the blizzard wall back and stop it I didn't read them, I reacted and spaced myself correctly to avoid being hit. If I make nana short hop nair to hit a purple while popo is blizzarding I didn't read my opponent, I made a correct decision based off something he did. You can still approach while doing all of this.

Stage position and what olimar is throwing at you is a very important thing to pay attention to when blizzarding. You don't just constantly approach someone with blizzard, that is just begging to be hit. It has nothing at all to do with reading olimar. And not all the options I mention delay or end the blizzard wall, in fact none of the options I mentioned end the blizzard wall lol, so I really just think you haven't seen/know what I'm talking about.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Spacing /=/ reading your opponent. I'm talking about spacing blizzard wall correctly so they can't do the things you mentioned. If I see them throw a purple pikmin and dash back to pull the blizzard wall back and stop it I didn't read them, I reacted and spaced myself correctly to avoid being hit. If I make nana short hop nair to hit a purple while popo is blizzarding I didn't read my opponent, I made a correct decision based off something he did. You can still approach while doing all of this.

Stage position and what olimar is throwing at you is a very important thing to pay attention to when blizzarding. You don't just constantly approach someone with blizzard, that is just begging to be hit. It has nothing at all to do with reading olimar. And not all the options I mention delay or end the blizzard wall, in fact none of the options I mentioned end the blizzard wall lol, so I really just think you haven't seen/know what I'm talking about.

IT seems like all of the options you just said could be punished if the olimar saw it coming.

For example," Nana n-airs Olimar's purple and olimar pivot grabs grabs popo while his blizzard ends to separate them"

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ah, but those things can't be explained correctly because I would never do that right in front of olimar. As a general rule you shouldn't blizzard wall right in front of olimar anyways lol I'm not sure why people would do that. And you can't pivot grab blizzard unless they are moving forward.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Ah, but those things can't be explained correctly because I would never do that right in front of olimar. As a general rule you shouldn't blizzard wall right in front of olimar anyways lol I'm not sure why people would do that. And you can't pivot grab blizzard unless they are moving forward.
If Olimar is close enough to throw a purple at you where you need to N-air with Nana to intercept it, then he's close enough to do a standing grab or pivot grab(pivot grab in place) to catch popo's blizzard lag.

Also, if you aren't approaching with Blizzard, then Olimar has no problem with you. The main things Olimar has a problem with is the approaching Blizzard wall. which this guide is supposed to help against

Something I don't think you're getting is that Olimar's grab and F-smash have immense range so you(Ice Climbers player) don't need to be in his face with blizzard in order for him to punish it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I give up. It's really not worth trying to explain this anymore :/.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I give up. It's really not worth trying to explain this anymore :/.
send me a vid or something lol

cause as of right now you're theory crafting as to why it would work and I'm counter-theorycrafting your theorycraft. If I just saw a vid of it in action I could come to a conclusion that isn't just based off of what you're saying

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm not theory crafting at all, I'm trying to tell you how I blizzard wall when playing actual matches. I don't have any videos of me playing an olimar, sorry. Any olimar that has played me though could probably attest to me knowing what I'm doing.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I am a flaming homosexual, Olimar is free. I always beat him
tl;dr

I hope Jordan knowing me won't ban me for disrespect, haha <3.

I ****ing hate your ICs as much as at0msk's <.<
in a loving way ;o

Tin Man

Smash Hero
yes, rich brown was doing it to me and Vinnie at MLG DC
The fsmash thing right? I must test this for myself.

meh, just fsmashing like that doesn't work, iirc rich's and atom's most recent set went to atomsk (it was a socal toureny after MLG)

what a lot of olimars either don't realize, or don't utilize, is that nana's cpu...is abusable while blizzarding, if nana is jumping into the air, you can fair or dair her for a guaranteed hit, and if she is on the ground, you can just run in and upsmash while popo is still blizzarding. I haven't got down the upsmash timing yet, since the timing is absurd, but if my set vs. vinnie over the weekend gets put up on youtube, you will see how blizzard wall is not THAT bad
And the thing is, its not always the same timing. They have enough freedom to change the speeds on you, or just do the next one on the ground and not jump it (since u go after Popo, he will be facing you if he does a grounded one (Swordgard got me with that one :()).

This is my worst match up as Olimar :cry:. I need to work on it, got 2 stocked on FD last Saturday (vid wasn't saved ;))

TKila

Smash Apprentice
well there is another way to defeat the blissard of the ice climbers....

this work for me all the time, also i did it in dallas and it works :D

to try to defeat that blissard wall you just stay calm dont do stupid things n try to search for a White Pikmin or Blue Pikmin (white is the best for this) now, u have to do a pivot Grab in an exactly time n u will grab popo or nana and you inmediatly do a back throw and you will have the oportunity to **** them

this work 100% , to defeat IC try to use always GRABS in my opinion doesnt matter if you have yellow purple red etc--- only do the backthrow and you will be fine :)

Top Bottom