• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Marth?

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
Im a ganon user im good i guess...but i cant beat marth(my friend)

he chain grabs, ken combos n etc. hes usually too fast for me n i can usually never kill him is ther any strategy that i missed somewher?

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
true but i have won like once... i did down throw, then s-h dair, up smash, fair

but maybe its my lack of wavedash or somethin...
thx anyway

Agent 47

Smash Apprentice
true but i have won like once... i did down throw, then s-h dair, up smash, fair

but maybe its my lack of wavedash or somethin...
thx anyway
practice rolling and dodging and build up percent. be aware of his counter and fsmash when he's vulnerable.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE!

Seriously, even if he's the one coming back, he'll use his dirty Marth tricks to switch places with you. xD

UnChienAndalousa

Smash Apprentice
STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE!

Seriously, even if he's the one coming back, he'll use his dirty Marth tricks to switch places with you. xD
That's good generally, except Ganon has pretty good edgeguarding on Marth. Practice your u-air spikes and gimp KOs, but if neither will work just stay closeto the edge, but too far to be attacked. Marth will usually just stall a lot, but at some point I think it's... illegal.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Space yourself with f-tilts and b-airs. B-airs work really really well on Marth.

Also, a down throw can be tech chased in to a stomp, followed by an u-air or an up-smash.

Ganon can out range Marth, so if you just get the hang of drawing him into your attacks you can mess him up. Once he's off the edge, you should be able to finish him off with a tipman or by edgehogging.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
A lot of Ganons have yet to notice this, but Ganon's Fsmash has priority over all of Marth's attacks except the counter. Well, I've tested all but neutral-B in Action Replay.

The Fsmash is almost a disjointed hitbox. That's right, even if the attacks clank, the Fsmash continues and deals damage. Often times it will appear as though the Fsmash only hits the sword, but the beam of purple travels along the blade and into Marth's chest.

Any time you think a slash of any type is coming, just use the Fsmash and it will lean back a safe distance instantly so you can trick Marth into attacking, then it'll come in and give him the business. Just don't miss. EVER

The___cheese

Smash Lord
I don't main Marth anymore, but I used to.

If I saw Ganon doing a forward smash, I would probably counter, since it takes a little while to come out.

Although that's probably because I play with a Ganon all the time, so I know not to do a move unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Since Magus isn't up I will get this one.

-Grabs. I get grabs in all I can because the more pressure you have on them the worse they will play. But outta grabs, always Down Throw I normally can get another grab off before they DI or jump outta it. If they jump outta it infront of you, you can either Up Air them, or F-Air them. If they DI backwards do a Back Air or an Up Air. I prefer Back Air because normally kills more.

-Edge Guarding. Is a problem I see a lot of Ganon's having trouble with. It isn't that hard against a Marth. All you have to do is wait. Once they are getting in range to do an Up B, turn around and Short Hop an Up Air. You could also fall through a platform doing an Up Air but not on stages like FD. The Up Air hits them away and they can't tech it. Chaddd got my Marth with it 3 times in a match at VLS

-Approach. When I play a Marth I normally just wait for them to approach me. Seeing how he can't camp with projectiles for obvious reasons. But when it comes time to being aggressive I run him SHFFL'n F-Airs. I spam Up Air and Foward Airs a lot lol.

-Recovering. Not much to say besides learn to Edge Tech, Sweet spot and how to reverse Up B the ledge.

Magus should pick up what I missed.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I don't main Marth anymore, but I used to.

If I saw Ganon doing a forward smash, I would probably counter, since it takes a little while to come out.

Although that's probably because I play with a Ganon all the time, so I know not to do a move unless you're sure you know what you're doing.
You wouldn't see it coming unless the Ganon has judged you poorly. It is the Ganon players responsibility to see YOUR attack coming, and use his forward smash accordingly.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
id suggest you to try koing with ganon's dair when marth is on the floor, this attack can take him at 80/90 %... also the down+b is an almost perfect koing move, its quite fast and hits hard + throws people hard out of stages

thats ganon's best moves against marth, your main trouble will be getting his % high,... youll figure it out i guess,,,, try side+b followed by up smash, if performed correctly you can pull great damage

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
Ganon's forward smash takes like an hour.

Even wavedashing backwards would easily work to avoid it, or jabbing him or something.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Ganon's forward smash takes like an hour.

Even wavedashing backwards would easily work to avoid it, or jabbing him or something.
Thats exactly why you don't blatantly throw them out there.....

Kio Iranez mentioned probably the the most important thing to watch out for in this match-up, seriously, if you don't play cautious you will get gayed by any good marth.

Since Marth doesn't have any long duration attacks, Ganon's forward-B is quite useful in this matchup. Being that you can dodge practically any of Marth's moves with this and then retaliate in their lag.

Besides that B-air and d-throw are you friends here.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Just stand there and full jump fair marths approach and remember to spam down b:chuckle:
What a good way to get Ken combo'ed. I don't believe Mew2King was having any of that at VLS.

Two things about Marth.

-Back air = god. It outranges almost every aerial Marth has, and is effortless to use to out-prioritize.

-Try to not stay predictably in the air a lot. Marth is looking for one tippered forward air or one neutral air in order to tap you into the spike, so don't give it to him.

Those are the two most important things. Another tip I'll give, for the sake of Linguini's, here, is to avoid over use of the forward air. It's incredibly slow compared to all Marth's attacks, and if they see you jumping back with it for the thousandth time, they have a number of options to stop you, like simply wavedashing into a forward smash. Abuse the back air and up air out of the shield when they're trying to double forward air your shield. The forward is VERY circumstantial against a skilled Marth player(and when I say skilled I'm referring to Marths like Mew2King, KDJ, Chillin, Azen, etc.).

Above all, it comes right down to being able to read your opponent. Marth normally has longer range than Ganondorf. Normally. It's all about finding that perfect timing for when it's Ganon's turn to outrange Marth.

Irow

Smash Ace
Just don't get impatient, if you try to approach him, most of the time you'll just get hit with something stupid. An offensive Marth should have a very hard time in this match-up. If you both play defensive, the match will take longer, but the Match should be a little more evened out.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Vallejo, that's hella close, you up for some smash?

Edit: your name looks familiar, did I play you at that Vallejo tourney a couple months ago?

Irow

Smash Ace
Cheeze? Yeah, we played at a Vallejo tournament a little while back.

If you're up for some smash, my crew is ready. Just PM about it.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I Wish i had someone to challenge on these boards:( Watch out for their smash attacks and carefully plan out strategies on the situation your in.

Red.

Smash Ace
Lightsheild edgeguarding works amazing vs marth if It's allowed in tourneys, I'm sure that u can uair reverse spike marth.

You can easily dair to dair or usmash for over 40%. Dthrow to bair or uair works wonders. I'm not sure on stages but I think stadium works.

What I do for spacing is wavedash away with a spaced fair.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Wait, did I miss something?
You can see Tipman do it at 1:45 in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqX8AghAhl0

Just lightshield on the edge while DIing diagonally down and away from the stage. As soon as the tip of Marth's sword hits the shield, your character should fall off the stage and edgehog. Let go of all directions or you won't grab the edge!

All you do to get in position is roll to the edge and hold Z and diagonally down before the roll ends, that way, as soon as the roll does end you will already be in lightshield with proper DI and without the risk of doing another roll.

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure he was just referring to the "if It's allowed in tourneys" part not the technique itself.

Also if they sweetspot perfectly you need to fastfall between when you slip off and when you grab it to do it with Ganon.

Overall it's not that great with Ganon since if they are far enough out that they would be able to be LSHed by being barely able to get over the edge with an up-b you could easily invincible ledgedrop an u-air or ledgehop one since they can't mix up their recovery much if at all since they need to maximize the distance with it, instead of risking missing the fastfall on the LSH if they sweetspot well.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure he was just referring to the "if It's allowed in tourneys" part not the technique itself.

Also if they sweetspot perfectly you need to fastfall between when you slip off and when you grab it to do it with Ganon.

Overall it's not that great with Ganon since if they are far enough out that they would be able to be LSHed by being barely able to get over the edge with an up-b you could easily invincible ledgedrop an u-air or ledgehop one since they can't mix up their recovery much if at all since they need to maximize the distance with it, instead of risking missing the fastfall on the LSH if they sweetspot well.
Oh, why didn't I even consider that? Great info btw! I try to go for that approach.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
well thx for this advice ill try these tips out cuz usually i kill 1/3 of his stocks
he plays like the dudes chaddd mentioned so ill keep wat u said in mind

thing is tho i can combo him easy its just getting him into a combo or stayin out of his reach is hard for me

nice ganon video chaddd

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
any tips against a pro falco...the pillars and SHL arent fair against me

the laser basically cripple me until falco reaches me and then pillar combos = im done

usually i get 1 out of 3 of his stocks once again - same person.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
any tips against a pro falco...the pillars and SHL arent fair against me

the laser basically cripple me until falco reaches me and then pillar combos = im done

usually i get 1 out of 3 of his stocks once again - same person.
Why not just ask in the Ganon question thread? Just powershield some of the lasers and time your shield grabs perfectly. Also, try to DI away from the pillar and attempt to get a Uair in the middle of the pillar if you get the space. You only have to hit Falco about 2 or 3 times to kill him, and edgeguarding him is a slice of cake.

Top Bottom