• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the hell do you guys do so good with falco?

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
ROFLLLLL @ becoming a pro smasher in 2 weeks...

If it were that easy, don't you think everyone would be a pro? (and if so, what would be the point of playing a game that took so little time to master)

Honestly, you won't even be able to wavedash consistently with every character after only two weeks of practicing; smash is like playing a musical instrument, competitive play requires loads of muscle-memory, and the learning curve to just getting down the techs is very, very high. I've been playing for a year and i still haven't mastered every technique in this game; if you aren't willing to put in the time to get good then maybe you should go play Kirby Air Ride or something. (appearently that game uses only the control stick and the A button, with no learning curve since it's so **** easy)

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
Becoming pro in 1 day! Not gonna happen. It took me a month of solid practicing to become somewhat decent, and now after several months I am still very ametuer. If you want to become pro you have to devote the time. Sorry bud, but two weeks still probably isn't going to cut it at the tourny scene. Looking at the guides is an excellent idea Fall. All of the good ones tend to be stickied.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm playing fox since 5 years and I'm still only in the very good level... far from the pros level. And i'm not the only one in this situation...

anyway, to be a good falco, you don't just need to do these freak combos... this is the uber basic. you have to mindgame you're opponent... you have to know what you're opponent is going to do, and THEN you'll be **** good.

I can beat any falco doing those combos, If the falco cannot mindgame me. mindgames are the key.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
LuCas23332 said:
Like for example this guy can do all this ****:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMk3DGGWb8!
I started using Falco last December and I'm only that good (if not better) because I play with Chudat, and Chillindude... To actually develope skill you need to play people better than you because this causes you to learn and adapt...

LuCas23332 said:
But when I play the only thing I can do is that reflector thing (I can at least do 3 in 1-2 seconds, this one is the only easiest one to do)!
You need to learn how to Short hop, Fast Fall, and L-Cancel (SHFFLC)... This will make your Falco 10times faster... And always jump-cancel your shines (jump imediatly after you shine). This will cause there to be no/little lag after your initial shine with falco or fox.

LuCas23332 said:
But every other moves I suck at.!
Then use peach she's easy :)

LuCas23332 said:
I cant even short hop, I can barely L-cancel or whatever its called, how the hell do you guys play like this.!
Practice like crazy... I didn't just wake up, and say wow! I can SHFFLC, and wavedash, and waveshine... I'm sure that every pro has played, and practiced for hundreds if not thousands of hours (or millions if you're mew2king :)) For you I suggest you play against a Lv. 1 Marth, or Fox on Final Destination (FD) and do some shine combos... You can shine fast fallers (fox, falco, c. falcon) short hop into another shine in the air, and then jump in to a down air (this works till about 70%) and do it all over again... Lv. 1's usually don't DI (directional influence) which will screw up your combos... Practice Short Hop Lasering (SHL), and Falco's pillar (shine, jump, down air, repeat)... If you can do these without L-Cancel, or Fastfalling your Falco will be nooby at best but you'll be able to beat your friends...

LuCas23332 said:
(I started super smash bros melee today) and its been like 4 hours and during these 4 hours I practiced and practiced and im still a noob at this stuff, how much practice do I need?!
How many grains of sand are on the beach... You actually want a real eastimate on how long it will take someone (you) who can't SHFFLC (see above) and started the game today to become a pro? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use peach or shiek... who needs skill :)

LuCas23332 said:
I hope it doesn't take like 2 weeks to get used to this cause thats too much. I was planning to be a pro falco player in 1 day but in 4 hours I cant even do anything!
Oh yeah and Lucas...

Bahahahahahahaaahahaha...hahahahahahaaaahhaha!!!!!

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
lol.

Alright its the second day now, I finished all 51 events. (My memory card already had like 40 events completed, its my friend's)

After event 36, 49, 50, 51, the one with the 2 pichu's and the annoying pikachu, I have somehow got used to using falco, I dont know how, but after I beat those stages I can play half like that guy in the video I posted. Just this morning I was in a condition I was in yesterday but it took me just about.. 7:30 AM to right now (3:15 PM) to finished events 36, 39, 48, 49, 50, 51, and some other 40's I forgot.

Today's the 2nd day, and heres what I mastered:

-Juggling
-Waveshine (Well, I can hit them twice in air with this and then do a final kick, kinda like what bombsoldier did, im not that used to it yet)
-L-Canceling (Kind of, but im getting used to it =p)
-Those aerial moves
-Edgehogging (I didnt really knew how to stick on a edge for awhile)
-Edgeguarding (My timing is alright, I usually get them 80% of the time)
-Grab-Throwdown-Reflector right after

But heres what I cant do yet:

-Shorthop-Aerial-Fastfall-L cancel-Reflector (Like that guy does in the video I posted)
-Short hop blaster
-Defend myself when im getting hit. (lol, how the hell do I get do I defend myself =p)

I look kinda good with falco when I play now at least, yes, "look" but I dont play pro yet =p

Im pretty good in games and I learn quickly, so ill get this short hop stuff and all these falco combos done sooner than school ends at least. (June 21st I think?)

Ive been practicing like hell today, and going to practice more ;)
(The music in final destination also makes me learn faster, lol)

Alright well thanks for all your help and info, it looked impossible at first but I think ill get the hang of it.

GaNoNdOrFgUrL

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2853-0620-9258
LuCas23332 said:
Like for example this guy can do all this ****:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMk3DGGWb8

But when I play the only thing I can do is that reflector thing (I can at least do 3 in 1-2 seconds, this one is the only easiest one to do)

But every other moves I suck at.

I cant even short hop, I can barely L-cancel or whatever its called, how the hell do you guys play like this.

(I started super smash bros melee today) and its been like 4 hours and during these 4 hours I practiced and practiced and im still a noob at this stuff, how much practice do I need?

I hope it doesn't take like 2 weeks to get used to this cause thats too much.
I was planning to be a pro falco player in 1 day but in 4 hours I cant even do anything!
LuCas23332...dude. It takes time to get good at things...how long do u think it took me to master the moves with my absolute best character Ganondorf? it was certainly not 2 weeks...it took me 4 years to get really well with Ganondorf. You need A LOTof practice before becoming a pro falco player. Play Smash with ur friends...and when u get a lil better..try playing in tournaments. Even if ur not so great in a year are so...dont give up. Keep playing...you'll reach ur dream of becoming a pro Falco player someday! :)

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
GaNoNdOrFgUrL said:
LuCas23332...dude. It takes time to get good at things...how long do u think it took me to master the moves with my absolute best character Ganondorf? it was certainly not 2 weeks...it took me 4 years to get really well with Ganondorf. You need A LOTof practice before becoming a pro falco player. Play Smash with ur friends...and when u get a lil better..try playing in tournaments. Even if ur not so great in a year are so...dont give up. Keep playing...you'll reach ur dream of becoming a pro Falco player someday! :)
Heh thanks, ^^

Seriously though all my friends suck more than the level 9 cpu's including me, except I have 1 friend thats kinda a pro in sheik but he still dies. (Who I used to think he was unstoppable until I saw some pro videos in youtube)

I wasn't really interested in this game all these years until I saw some videos, cause I thought this game was just pure "hit, make this one hit!" but its actually all skill and such.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Lucas where do you live... maybe i know some smashers in your area that you can play to improve your game, or maybe if your within 4 hours (or anywhere on east coast) i'll come and help you improve your Falco game... PM (personal message) me if you're interested :)

Falcon-comboartist

Smash Cadet
youre lucky youve discovered this site so soon, for about 2 years i thought i was an amazing smash player, but i was a total noob. But dont give up if u cant do that stuff after a day of playing the game. I will admit I can do anything done in that vid but I've been practicing since the game first came out. Try reading bornfidelity's guide and reading the "general terms" sticky in melee discussion board. good luck!

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
if u wanna become an amazing godly falco like myself then all u need is experience lol 4 reals u dont need combo perfection or that kind of stuff u need 2 no how 2 maneuvr and b confident in that and wen 2 use moves lol im tellin u for ex. falco dittos u can abuse utilt->fsmash->edgeguard ough thats zang grime rite there lmao

fugito348

Smash Journeyman
i find it funny that no one is amazed with that video and the other videos of those guys. am i the dumb one if they used AR or sum sht.

practice makes perfect, but if no one is perfect why practice

just practice and ull get better. took me 1 hour of intense practicing to be able to wd out of a shine and then do another shine, or jc grab or anything., i play fox btw.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
LuCas23332 said:
-Waveshine (Well, I can hit them twice in air with this and then do a final kick, kinda like what bombsoldier did, im not that used to it yet)
umm I don't think that is waveshining. If you are waveshining you wouldn't leave the ground. If you are using the reflector attack and then hit them with another reflector attack it is called pillaring.

You also mentioned level 9 computers. Eventually you need to get out of the habit of playing those because people play nothing like a lvl 9 so you are setting yourself up for failure playing a ton against those.

edit: OK I guess I was wrong about my definition of pillaring. I'm sorry that is what I learned pillaring was.

mathos

Smash Champion
Well I think he is meaning he hits them with a shine twice and then does a bair, so in essence he is doing a double shine. :)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
that 1 guy said:
If you are using the reflector attack and then hit them with another reflector attack it is called pillaring.
No it's not :/

pillaring is shffld dair + shinecancelled shffld dairing on shield etc. this is just some double shine combo or w.ever.

LuCas23332 said:
Today's the 2nd day, and heres what I mastered:

-Grab-Throwdown-Reflector right after
ROFL-FCKING-MAO

O_o

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
yeah, make sure you play with humans, not level 9 cpu. Thats all I did and now im RUINED. its absolutely imperative that you play people, cpu's are sooo predictable and easy to beat. You never need to wd or anything on them because mindtricks dont work at all. Just roll and smash is all you need to beat them.
make sure you use training mode alot and learn to shine spike n stuff.

stewie91

Smash Apprentice
I've been a Falco player for 2 years, and I've nowhere close to mastered him. Why don't you practice Shine-Cancilling d-air(sorry cudnt come up with a name) or doing that but b-air near an edge instead of spiking, then spiking them into the abyss.

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
Well I think im getting better at falco now.
This is about the 6th or 7th day I think and im getting used to doing moves, short hop lasering, short hop aerialing and such.

I just figured out I should never play after I shower or before I go to sleep, because my body kind of rests itself at those times and causes me to think slowly and mess up more.

I can do what viperboy does now, the reflector and double jump instantly and down + a and repeat and it looks kinda cool when I do that =p

Probably a month ill 'at least' be a little early advanced with falco.
Since I pretty much learn quickly with games I can pull this out in 2 months to become pro. (I also play half the day so its a lot of time)

I was gonna switch to marth, but I didnt want to cause if I did then I just wasted 6 days of my life when I could have done something else.

Kittyhawk

Smash Rookie
I feel bad now, in seven days you have mastered more that me, and ive been playing since around the game came out. I can probobly still beat you though (hopefully)

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if I played againts someone like viperboy or bombsoldier i'd be wasted in a few minutes still ^^ im not completely 'pro' yet, but I can pull off some moves/more combos most of the time now, =P

Im just a fast learner cause im a gamer, thats why I expected this game to be learned from me off a day to be 'advanced' but it turned out this game needed more practice than just 1 day ^^

Ive also been playing CS knife strafing for a year and it gives me good timing, playing CS can get me used to this timing stuff too ^^

Its been slightly a week now and just played vs my friends for the first time (And even the so-called 'pro' sheik player of mine, barely won by 1 stock and lost the 2nd one)

I think im doing fine as a 1 week start off though, ill expect to get at least everything down by the next 3 weeks of playtime.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Rofl this thread is too funny. The best thing about getting a wave of newbs is that guys like these come around. xD

Seriously though, Falco isn't really that hard to learn. I kinda feel guilty sometimes becausehis techs seem so easy to learn in comparison to others. But like someone else said, those are just his techs. Mindgames are where it's all at. Wicked combos and the like are awesome to have, but they're all useless if your opponent knows everything that you're going to do.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
forblaze71 said:
Falco isn't really that hard to learn. I kinda feel guilty sometimes becausehis techs seem so easy to learn in comparison to others.
Falco is certainly one of the harder characters to control perfectly, technically, because of all the advanced strats such as waveshine combos, pillaring, all his tricks 'n treats from the ledge etc. Character like Fox are obviously harder, but chars such as Sheik or Peach are wayyyy easier to get down technically, basically because, there's less to get down there. Peach's list of advanced things consists solely of floatcancelling. And well, anyone can do that after 15 minutes :/
I consider controlling Falco technically on an advanced level to be one of the hardest upgrades from n00b play. Fox is harder, but Peach is easier (floatcancelling whoaaa) Sheik is easier (LCancelling and shorthop, err, thats it? xD) Marth then? Shfflng aerials, and that's it. Falco? Pillaring, waveshineing, lasertricks etc. Technical technical technical.

Basically what I was saying
forblaze71
in comparision to others, falco's techs are quite hard to get down at first (ok, so, a few months later they're easy as hell but that's with every character).

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
bornfidelity.com said:
Falco is certainly one of the harder characters to control perfectly, technically, because of all the advanced strats such as waveshine combos, pillaring, all his tricks 'n treats from the ledge etc. Character like Fox are obviously harder, but chars such as Sheik or Peach are wayyyy easier to get down technically, basically because, there's less to get down there. Peach's list of advanced things consists solely of floatcancelling. And well, anyone can do that after 15 minutes :/
I consider controlling Falco technically on an advanced level to be one of the hardest upgrades from n00b play. Fox is harder, but Peach is easier (floatcancelling whoaaa) Sheik is easier (LCancelling and shorthop, err, thats it? xD) Marth then? Shfflng aerials, and that's it. Falco? Pillaring, waveshineing, lasertricks etc. Technical technical technical.
... OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
CO, I don't think he was being malicious in that post. And if you were, bornfidelity, I certainly didn't notice your contention. I definitely see where you're coming from, though. Thinking back on it now, it actually was very hard getting alot of his basic stuff down. I think I only find it easy now because I spent so much time practicing them back then.

So I'll half take back what I said. His techs are easy to learn compared to some, but much harder compared to others.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Hahah, Im sorry, becoming pro is 2 weeks, is pretty much impossible. Doesnt matter how many games you play, just because your a gamer doesnt mean you "pwn" games. Thinking you can get as good as bombsoldier in a month is absurd, even thought bombsoldier is only 14. The only person that can beat bombsoldier is Ken, and Ken is the undisputed champion of smash, thinking that you can get to his level in one month is one of the funniest things Ive read on smashboards.

You can practice all the advanced techs on level 9s all you want, but when it comes to humans, mind games will beat advanced techs, I know 1st hand.

What you should practice on are: Shfflc, pillaring, shl, edge gaurding, edge hogging, spiking with down aerial and with foward B (not really that important, but it helps to know how to use it and when). Then learn how to incorporate these techs into your play style. Learn how to switch over from style to style. STOP expecting to be like bombsoldier, best falco in the world, over night. It will take you years before you even get 1/2 as good as he is, when you can 2stock Ken, then I will acknowledge your "skill".

One more thing, stop thinking Falco is so hard to play. Roy is much harder to play well and to compete with top tier characters.

Banned via Administration
Uh, tech wise falco is 10x harder to learn than roy. It's just harder for roy to compete because he sucks. But let's not get into that whole ordeal in the falco forum lol...........

Bailey

Smash Hero
You aren't gonna become a pro in a day sorry. Just practice, read guides and watch videos, other than that I can only say don't play Falco.

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
Hahah, Im sorry, becoming pro is 2 weeks, is pretty much impossible.
Maybe it is, but people spent 3 years in CS to knife as good as me and they haven't been as good as me either and I learned to knife as good in only a month. It doesn't matter what game it is, I can learn this stuff in a month or 2 Maybe you cant, but I can. Like everyone says, every person is different, no one is the same.

I dont care if people think I cant be pro in 2 months, they can't judge the way I play or the rank I am in the next month or 2, only I can know and I know I can be pro in 2 months.

Doesnt matter how many games you play, just because your a gamer doesnt mean you "pwn" games.
I didnt specifically say I "pwn" games, I said I can learn faster cause im a gamer. You can stop making things up right about now.

Thinking you can get as good as bombsoldier in a month is absurd, even thought bombsoldier is only 14.
I also didnt specifically say I can be as good as bombsoldier, I said I can get be pro in a month. Theres other people that can lose to bombsoldier and are still considered pro, which is what I am goaling to be in 2 months.

The only person that can beat bombsoldier is Ken, and Ken is the undisputed champion of smash
Like I said, everyone is different. I may beat bombsoldier in the future cause im different than everyone. Ken is a normal human, and im a human too, Ken is not a monkey. We're both humans, so I can play as good as ken in the future.

thinking that you can get to his level in one month is one of the funniest things Ive read on smashboards.
Ill say it the 3rd time, I didnt say I can get to bombsoldier's or ken's level in a month, I said I can learn this stuff in a month, or at least become pro.

Ill say this again too: Sure, bombsoldier is pro, but theres other people that can lose to bombsoldier and are still considered pro, which is what I am goaling for.

You can practice all the advanced techs on level 9s all you want, but when it comes to humans, mind games will beat advanced techs, I know 1st hand.

What you should practice on are: Shfflc, pillaring, shl, edge gaurding, edge hogging, spiking with down aerial and with foward B (not really that important, but it helps to know how to use it and when). Then learn how to incorporate these techs into your play style. Learn how to switch over from style to style.
Well thanks for that info, finally a good response of you.

STOP expecting to be like bombsoldier, best falco in the world, over night
Sorry, I'm not going to type this for a **** 4th time, read above.

I can type 121 Words per minute at my school and my teacher told me I was the fastest typer in 18 years in that school and broke the record on my 2nd try, see how different people are to others? People are different, don't judge me the way you want to.

Proof: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/LuCas23332/121.jpg (30 second countdown)
And: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/LuCas23332/118.jpg (3 minute countdown)

I have fast fingers, and that should also explain im different than you. No one is the same.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ssbb is coming up, might as well not even play falco since u'll never reach pro bye the time ssbb comes out, hell, maybe even longer than that.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
LuCas23332 said:
I have fast fingers, and that should also explain im different than you. No one is the same.

Playing with a keyboard and playing with a gamecube controller is much different, so stop comparing everything to CS. Im not trying to start a problem with you, I'm just trying to help you understand that it is going to be impossible for you to reach pro status in a month, especially if you are already the best in your group, no challenge=longer time to advance.

Being pro is harder than you think, you may consider yourself "pro" after a month, but in reality you wont be. Record some videos of you and your friends playing and post them, then we can help you even more than we already are. After you goto a MLG tourny (which 5150, you were partially right about MLG Dallas, I couldnt stop shaking and my dumbass thought I could hold up against some of the characters with my Roy, shaking didnt help and I lost, I won all my matches with IC though, next MLG I will continue to play with Roy, hopefully Ill be accustomed to playing under pressure) play some pro's then take advice from them. Ken and ChuDat offer their services for 1hour to help you play for $20, dont worry about them, they are nice, I have met them personally.

What else is there to tell you?

Stop expecting to become a pro in a month, doesnt matter if pro's still lose to Ken and bombsoldier, they are still pros and have had years of practice, dont think you can do what they did in a month.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
Can't... resist... feeding... troll...

Lucas, in the unlikely event that you're serious, I have this to say.

You will not become pro in 2 months. You will not become anywhere near pro in 2 months.

It is an impossibility.

Pro players are so past the technical game it's silly. Tech skill is a given. Anyone can pillar. I can pillar. 70% of these boards can pillar. We look at the vid of viperboy and we don't think "Wow, he's good." We think "Man that fox needs to step up his mindgames."

Pros have seen it all before. They've seen everything you could possibly use to "trick" them or freak them out. They've seen all the combos you're struggling with. I don't care HOW precocious you think you are, you are absolute garbage compared to pros. This sounds harsh, but I'm trying to save your ego the enormous bruising it will take when you get 4 stocked at your first, second, third, and fourth tournies.

You know the only way you will not fulfill the "n00b prophecy" of getting severely owned and going back home with your tail between your legs? Competition. You need to face astoundingly good players, play them often, train with them often, and train with them for a long, long time.

I can tell from your post you do not even have remotely competent competition.

That is why you will fail utterly.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We've all seen it before, and many of us have fulfilled the n00b prophecy ourselves.

Top Bottom