• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the costumes should have been

The-Judge

Banned via Administration
-HOW BRAWL COULD GET A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT:
First of, there is 39 characters in the game. As there
max can be 4 of the same character on one stage, more
than 4 costumes per character would not be neccesary
and just a waste of space. That means that only 156
costumes would be neccesary in Brawl, and more would
just take up valuable space. But Brawl got a massive
226 costumes! That means that there is a whole 70
costumes more than neccesary! To waste so much space
is just dumb. If 70 costumes were removed, there would
be the neccesary amount of costumes and no space wasted.
If the 70 filler-costumes were removed, there would be
more than 33% more space among the characters!

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
You apparently don't quite get the concept that a color palette takes up a lot less space than a model/moveset/coding/graphics for moves/more color palettes/etc. I like having more than 4 choices for colors because if I choose an unconventional one it sets me apart from the 500,000 other players who go "hey I like that black/red/white costume."

The-Judge

You apparently don't quite get the concept that a color palette takes up a lot less space than a model/moveset/coding/graphics for moves/more color palettes/etc. I like having more than 4 choices for colors because if I choose an unconventional one it sets me apart from the 500,000 other players who go "hey I like that black/red/white costume."
Yes, a color swap takes much less space. But dont you think it would make up for 1 or 2 characters if the 70 lame extracustomes were removed?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Not really, because Brawl already has plenty of characters. Melee already had plenty of characters for people to enjoy, and frankly I liked being able to be pink Luigi when I felt like being a flaming homo for a round.

The-Judge

Not really, because Brawl already has plenty of characters. Melee already had plenty of characters for people to enjoy, and frankly I liked being able to be pink Luigi when I felt like being a flaming homo for a round.
So instead of Luigi taking space with 6 colorswaps, what about this? Wouldnt that make him more interesting AND spare space?
costume 1: luigi as we know him
costume 2: fire costume
costume 3: mr. l costume
costume 4: luigi as we know him, without cap
that would give luigi much more variation and cost much less space.

Arteen

Smash Lord
First off, it takes very little memory to save a pallette swapped image. Second, why is space an issue? It's not.

The-Judge

First off, it takes very little memory to save a pallette swapped image. Second, why is space an issue? It's not.
There is loads of ways that space could be saved. Removing the 70 unneccesary customes is one. Erasing unneccesary characters like ROB and Mr. G&W is another. Making Lucas identical to Ness and make him a palette swap is a further one. Make Ninten a paletteswap, too, when we are at it. And make OoT Link a palette swap for TP Link. In that way, there would be waay more space for characters. And take a few details away here and there, like 2-3 Pokemons from the Pokeballs or 2-3 assist trophie characters...

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather play as black Mario than Dr. Mario i must say so. Also a character DOES take quite some time to design, i have a relative in the game developing industry. Also I like some of the new colours and would rather have the colours than 1 new character which most people would insist is ridley or geno, two i don't care about, and a delay. AGAIN.

The-Judge

Yeah, R2D2 rocks!:p

B: A quick zap of electricity
Smash B: Rushes forward. Move can be charged for extra range and damage.
UpB: Shoot fire towards the ground, hovering
DownB: shoot oil on the ground.

he could shoot fire on the oil on the ground, and all oil in contact would burn :D

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Ok, you're making me sick talking about putting R2D2 into Brawl. Second, from what you're saying, you're essentially just *****ing about wanting more characters, which is essentially what every other bloody complainer on this forum has been doing for the past two months. You're just doing it in an alternate fashion that makes people despise you for thinking you know something you don't.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
And for the hundredth time, if they wanted to put another character in, they would have, regardless of the multiple color swaps.

EDIT: And has gangstajuicewhatever been banned yet?

The-Judge

Ok, you're making me sick talking about putting R2D2 into Brawl. Second, from what you're saying, you're essentially just *****ing about wanting more characters, which is essentially what every other bloody complainer on this forum has been doing for the past two months. You're just doing it in an alternate fashion that makes people despise you for thinking you know something you don't.
The R2D2 thing was a joke. And yes, maybe i think too much about the characters and not the depth of the game... But I feel a few small things could have been removed for one extra character, JUST making the game top 40 characters;)

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Falco could have his old "StarWolf" Costume from the unpopular Adventures.
Wolf could have different versions of his costume (i.e 64, Adventures, then colors)
Fox, could have sunglasses(i.e. expert mode in 64/Jame), then the colors, A wolf alternate would not be a bad idea...

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
So you would rather want Mario in random colors than:

MARIO:
costume 1 - His ordinary look
costume 2 - Fire costume
costume 3 - Dr. Mario costume
costume 4 - His ordinary look, but without cap

?
Yes. Yes I would.

We already have 1 and 2, and 4 exists briefly as one of his taunts. Plus your suggestions of one alternate costume for Mario, Luigi and Wario are simply "normal w/o cap". Not only does that sound like a very boring "costume" for three whole characters, but it'd be much harder to distinguish in actual Brawls as opposed to different color schemes, which are what these different colors are all about.

So to answer the question you keep on asking, yes: I prefer Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Brown and Fire Mario over regular Mario, fire Mario, Dr. Mario and capless Mario. I prefer Green, Pink, Blue, Orange, Waluigi Purple, and Fire Luigi to regular Luigi, fire Luigi, capless Luigi and the (admittedly awesome) Mr. L. I'd prefer Wario's 12 color variations to plain Wario, WarioWare Wario, Wario without cap, and... err... Dr. Wario.

And even without your suggested format, we have plenty of canon alternate costumes... Fire Mario, Fire Luigi, Overalls Wario, Daisy, Dark Link, OoT Zelda, original brown-hair Toon Link, Four Swords Toon Links (green, purple, red and blue), Dark Toon Link, Phazon Suit Samus, SNES-design ROB, original white Kirby, Adventures Fox(?), Blood Falcon (different logo and all!), Pikachu w/Ash's cap, various other Pokemon Trainer's hats on Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and Claus-style Lucas.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, The-Judge's suggestion of just having those alt costumes instead of color swaps is actually a really bad idea. You have the different colors for distinguishing and team purposes. Just those minor changes like Mario without a hat is actually less variety. And if you used the stat thing, then what would happen if two people wanted to use Dr. Mario at the same time? Or all four people?

Foxy

Smash Master
Somewhat complicated but awesome costume possibilities that would have been great:

Link
-All tunics
-OoT style
-Dark Link
-Young Link
-Zora Suit (TP)
-Golden Armor (TP)
-Ordon outfit (TP)

Fox
-Star Fox Adventures style
-Star Fox Assault style (what I was hoping for...)
-Star Fox 64 style
-Star Fox DS style (although he's basically that already)
-Wolf (had he not been added)
-Falco (see above)

Zelda
-OoT style
-Cloaked outfit (TP)
-Possessed (TP)
-Young Zelda

Marth
-Eliwood
-Lyn
-Roy
-Ephraim

Pikachu
-Raichu
-Pichu
-Plusle/Minun

Jigglypuff
-Clefairy
-Wigglytuff

Snake
-CHUCK NORRIS (duh.)

The-Judge

Yeah, The-Judge's suggestion of just having those alt costumes instead of color swaps is actually a really bad idea. You have the different colors for distinguishing and team purposes. Just those minor changes like Mario without a hat is actually less variety. And if you used the stat thing, then what would happen if two people wanted to use Dr. Mario at the same time? Or all four people?
If all 4 wanted to use Dr. Mario, another costume would be identical to his playing style:)

The-Judge

Somewhat complicated but awesome costume possibilities that would have been great:

Link
-All tunics
-OoT style
-Dark Link
-Young Link
-Zora Suit (TP)
-Golden Armor (TP)
-Ordon outfit (TP)

Fox
-Star Fox Adventures style
-Star Fox Assault style (what I was hoping for...)
-Star Fox 64 style
-Star Fox DS style (although he's basically that already)
-Wolf (had he not been added)
-Falco (see above)

Zelda
-OoT style
-Cloaked outfit (TP)
-Possessed (TP)
-Young Zelda

Marth
-Eliwood
-Lyn
-Roy
-Ephraim

Pikachu
-Raichu
-Pichu
-Plusle/Minun

Jigglypuff
-Clefairy
-Wigglytuff

Snake
-CHUCK NORRIS (duh.)
Some of the ideas are taken way too far, but you know what i mean;)

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
If all 4 wanted to use Dr. Mario, another costume would be identical to his playing style:)
Now it's just getting too ****ing complicated. Just give up and realize that most people don't agree with you, and that you're just trying to get more characters into the game. Lurk more before posting.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Wow. You didn't get what you wanted. Fantastic. I think we should hold Sakurai at gun-point until he gives us a DLC channel with better costumes, guyz. And get Link to take off his skirt.

I understand the whole alternate character diliemma, but face it, you need colors, it's a staple of Smash for people to choose their favourite color if they don't like what the character looks like.

We always have to have a Red/Blue/Green costume, so that's 3. For argumentative sake we'll say the original costume is another one, so 4. Then you want at least one alt for each char? (5) Which is nigh impossible because of all the models needed. I'd rather have Isaac in as another character then everyone have a alt. model.

So, back to my original point, that's 5 already. Then you want your bulltard costumes, like hatless and Netherland Parade day Pikachu. Oh, and of course King DDD should take off his hammer and wield a pimp cane instead, why not?

Do you see how ****ing whiny you sound right now? It already goes beyond your "EVRY CHAR SHOUD HAV 4 UNIQUe COSTUMS GUYZ". Instead of 6 costumes for each character, you want 4 half-tarded ones.

Good job, you just wasted some forum space. I wouldn't expect anything less from a guy with 223 posts in less then a week with no avatar.

Tsun

Smash Rookie
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but give me Toon Link in his pajamas, ****it.

Olikrom

Smash Cadet
Yes. Yes I would.

We already have 1 and 2, and 4 exists briefly as one of his taunts. Plus your suggestions of one alternate costume for Mario, Luigi and Wario are simply "normal w/o cap". Not only does that sound like a very boring "costume" for three whole characters, but it'd be much harder to distinguish in actual Brawls as opposed to different color schemes, which are what these different colors are all about.

So to answer the question you keep on asking, yes: I prefer Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Brown and Fire Mario over regular Mario, fire Mario, Dr. Mario and capless Mario. I prefer Green, Pink, Blue, Orange, Waluigi Purple, and Fire Luigi to regular Luigi, fire Luigi, capless Luigi and the (admittedly awesome) Mr. L. I'd prefer Wario's 12 color variations to plain Wario, WarioWare Wario, Wario without cap, and... err... Dr. Wario.

And even without your suggested format, we have plenty of canon alternate costumes... Fire Mario, Fire Luigi, Overalls Wario, Daisy, Dark Link, OoT Zelda, original brown-hair Toon Link, Four Swords Toon Links (green, purple, red and blue), Dark Toon Link, Phazon Suit Samus, SNES-design ROB, original white Kirby, Adventures Fox(?), Blood Falcon (different logo and all!), Pikachu w/Ash's cap, various other Pokemon Trainer's hats on Pikachu and Jigglypuff, and Claus-style Lucas.
It's actually Famicom Robot R.O.B. and American R.O.B. You also left out Dark Suit Samus, Yeti Donkey Kong, Golden Bowser, White Lucario, Ike's Sigurd outfit, Shiny Squirtle and Ivysaur (I think), Dark Falco, Dark Metaknight, White Metaknight, Blue-Winged Pit, Black Dress Zelda, Ninja Sheik, Leopard-Skin Snake, Purple-robed Dedede, Mr. Saturn Shirt Ness, Old Man Ganondorf, White Game & Watch, and Dark Wolf. And I might have missed a few others that looked really cool. Honestly, I think they did a **** good job with color swaps this time around.

Eriorguez

Smash Cadet
You are putting in MODEL variants. Model variants take up MANY space, much more that pallete swaps.

Plus, tell me: Team battle. Define the teams.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Costumes on right side of characters.

Luigi-Mr. L, Flying Luigi (Black and Green)
Mario-Dr. Mario, Flying Mario (Black and Red)
Samus-Dark Samus, Light (?) Samus
Sonic-Knuckles, Silver, Shadow, Amy, Blaze
Pokemon Trainer-Female Pokemon Trainer
Lucario-Shiny Lucario

=S-A=
What's Mr. L? Suit Luigi?
Dr. Mario would be cool
How would Sonic CHANGE into a Knuckles, Silver, Amy and Blaze costume? They look NOTHING alike
Pokemon Trainer is a good idea, being switched to a female pokemon trainer
Lucario-never saw shiny lucario

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
While alternate costumes would've been interesting, it doesn't suit the purpose for Smash Bros. In smash bros you have to have at least 4 variants on the off chance that all four players are playing the same character, then you have to make them distinguishable. In the chaotic enviroment of free-for-all with items on high, it would be very difficult to tell the difference if the colors are the characters are too similar.

For example, while in such chaos and in a somersault animation, would you be able to tell Mario with a hat apart from Mario without a hat within a split second?
A better example, perhaps, is DK. The DK Country series does offer some alternate colors of the characters in the rarely used competition mode. In these variations, the only thing that changes is their articles of clothing. If you apply this to DK in Brawl (or any Smash game), suddenly it's difficult to distinguish one DK from another because his fur color is always the same. If all four DKs have their backs to the camera, how do you tell them apart?

Now, if the Smash Bros series was a one on one fighting title, this would be a different story. However, since the game's premise and design is based on four person free-for-all, the answer is no.

Top Bottom