• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many "MAINS" are too much ?

acojan

Smash Apprentice
hi guys ! i see all these people with their mains on their sigs and some have a helluvalot of mains... like over 7 in some cases.... i personally have only 4 or maybe even 5 <if you count zelda as two people> but i am only really confident with 2 characters --

some characters are just so unique in brawl that it gets really hard to switch in between characters once you get used to how you play the other.

sorta like i was playing mario yesterday and normally a mario would use fireballs <neutral B> for his approach but then when i switched to yoshi i was still using B and kept using egg lay lmao..... it really messes me up {}{}{}{} >_< ~ !

i know that using only one or two characters can get boring at times but how many do you suggest an avarage player should have..... if you dunno then just state how many you have.

:chuckle:

Corigames

Smash Hero
"Main" usually entails... 1. Then, after that, you have a secondary, third, forth, etc.

You really can't have multiple mains... that's sort-of a contradiction. And even if you did, I would say it is better to have one good person and person who counters you main's counters.

acojan

Smash Apprentice
ohhhh --- i never really thought about it like that.... good idea.....
hm... now i need to find counterpicks for my main....

erm im gona need help cuz i usually like people with the same playstyle mario,yoshi and diddy
short ranged with good combos. mixed arial and ground games with spikes and a basic projectile.....

who can i select to counterpick ?

wk4c

Smash Rookie
I have one Main and two secondaries. Then three third tier, just for fun and practice. [Wolf, Sonic, and Ganondorf]

Who knows, if I master my third tier they may take over my secondaries, who may eventually take over my main, maybe, probably not, but maybe.

Right now it's fun trying to master Sonic/Ganon.

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
I would agree that a main usually entails one character that you play the most. However, I 'main' Lucario, Meta Knight, and Kirby but I try to keep them all equal but like to keep lucario as the primary. However I have a large secondary list with Falco, Samus, Pikachu, and Pokemon Trainer. Heck, now that I'm used to brawl more , I'll probably pick up luigi again. When people refer to their mains, especially in their sigs, they often mean all the characters they play alot, not just their primary ones.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I agree with what others have said, you have one real"Main" because everyone is best with one character, then theres other characters that you good with but not as good with as your main (EG: My main is Ike, but Im good with Ness so hes my "secondary")

Boxob

Smash Champion
When you start to have six or more, you're a scrub.
Not really. I would think that a majority of people that have more than six 'mains' are just bored with brawl. For instance, I was pretty good at melee, I was no god at it or anything, but I played pretty well. In brawl, the games mechanics don't allow for enough depth for me to simply focus on one or two characters like I could in Melee. In Brawl I use Sonic, Fox, Captain falcon, Dk, Wolf (I don't camp, I swear) Metaknight, Sheik, Mario, Diddy. I'm pretty good as all of them, not because I slaved over this game spending my life getting good at it, but because it's all too easy to pick up a character, learn it in a day and move on.

We should play on Wifi sometime. It doesn't show anything but atleast then you'd know I'm not a scrub for using a whole bunch of characters.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
i have 5 characters i play as mario,sonic link kirby and marth for me it all depends on the situation do i need power? speed? range? strong projectile?(i feel most comfortable with mario however)

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
i have 6 characters that i play with often, as seen by my signature. but kirby is my #1 main. lucas is 2nd, pikachu is 3rd, toon link is 4th, mario is 5th, and sonic is 6th. i hope to be good with all of them. but kirby is the character i pick the most out of the 6.

TeamAlpha

Smash Rookie
Two is too many.

Even if your equally good with two or more, pick one to call your main and play with both.

For the sake of simplicity

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'd say 2 mains (a main, and a 2nd main) should be enough for any competitive environment. Anything after that, to me, is a secondary

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
When people refer to their mains, especially in their sigs, they often mean all the characters they play alot, not just their primary ones.
the thing is, they call them mains, but they areactually just characters they use. i beleieve in having two very strong mains, and the rest are secondaries. they could be very good, but they are just secondaries.

-hiro
Good point! I tend to refer to all my "Brawl" characters as "mains", but that's not really accurate.

I have TEN characters that I like to use in "Brawl" (yowza!).

However, my true main is Marth, 'cause he's my #1! ^_^

Zero Suit Samus is my second-longest used character in my game, but she's a bit of a distant second behind Marth.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
I think if you have 4 or more, then that is too many. I don't see how you can be great and the same skill with 4 different characters. 2 usually works out best.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Sorry, not bashing you, just saying.
lol. To me, a 2nd main <> secondary. a 2nd main is someone you consider as good as your first main, and is interchangeable with your 1st main. A secondary is a character is someone that you like to play, but isnt nearly as good as your 1st or 2nd main.

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
Marth, Ike, Pikachu, Wolf, Falco, Fox, Sheik, Wind Waker Link, and Ganondorf. 9 mians!!! It's better (at least for me) to have more than one main 'cause there's always a little more to discover about each character than you think.

Time2Brawl

Smash Cadet
There are 3 catagories of people. (imo)

1. the people who stick to one character and learn how to fight off others with just that one.
2. the people who use a small group of characters (2 or 3) and learn who does best against who.
3. the people who use + master a wide variety of characters (4+) and use them accordingly.

3 is your best bet, but you gotta start off and MASTER 1 character. then move on to a second, and MASTER them, move onto a third etc.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Or... you could just become super awesome with one character, know everything about them, their match-ups, moves, timing, spacing, grab range, throws, cool down, wind up, lag, techs. this compared to knowing just enough with a lot of characters.

I think that is just fine.

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
I main Snake and Lucario, and I think its fine to have two mains. I think anybody else that you like using are secondaries, and can hardly be counted as mains.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
The max number of "mains" you can have is two but even then your stretching it.
you say this rather mater of factly without any real reason for us to listen to you. it makes you sound like a ****. re-wording needed?

In melee I played pretty much every character, but we know that fox, marth, sheik, falco really where the easiest top competitive players.

In brawl I play alternating between sonic, PT, olimar, and lucario of im feeling frisky with a little spice of other random characters thrown in.

Corigames

Smash Hero
In melee I played pretty much every character, but we know that fox, marth, sheik, falco really where the easiest top competitive players.
You say this rather mater of factly without any real reason for us to listen to you. it makes you sound like a ****. re-wording needed?

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I main Link, Sonic, Marth, and DDD.

I usually like to keep four that I can play with and know I can do well with them. I really don't like secondaries because sometimes I never pick them up again after a while. Like in Melee, it's Link, Marth, Falco and Samus.

I think four is a reasonable number I don't know why people just stick to one or two. Because sometimes that one or two just gets boring.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
1 Main, 2 Counterpicks is my opinion. I'm making a BC Smasher Index and people give me Ganon/Various as their main... I'm thinking "wtf?"

~rh

Smash Lord
^ Exactly. One main and two secondaries or counterpicks is ideal. "The who purpose of a Main" is that it's the SINGLE chracter you play and master to the best of your ability. The PRIMARY character you use.

Top Bottom