• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many character do you expect?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can guarantee that it's going to be more than 30 but around 40 characters at most. However Chaosblade, that was a pretty nifty point you gave. Makes me want to reconsider my count for how many that are going to be in.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
i'm thininking it will be 42-44 right on the nose. if you count the 22 probable returnees (no ness, dr. mario, roy, pichu) and the 11 newcomers posted so far then we have 33 characters. add the 7 probable newcomers (bowser jr., krystal, ridley, a third-party, AC guy, FE rep, and [whoever you want since it could be anyone around this point]). that's 40. i'm guessing that then there will be around 2-4 random WTF characters (olimar, sukapon). so that's how big i think the roster will be and why i think so.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
After reading what I wrote earlier, I am definately placing my bet on 38 playable characters plus the two tansformations. (Sheik and Zero Suit Samus)

19 Melee characters and 19 New characters.

I'm placing $5 on this, anyone else in? I'll give you good odds....

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
And as for delaying Brawl even though they had a lot more time to develop it, this is the first Smash Bros game so far that has not been tied down by strict deadlines and ending rushed.

Now, in relation to characters, I don't think a whole lot more development time, a 8.5 GB disk vs a 1.5 GB disk, and all of the other arguments toward 50 characters (or more) really apply. Although characters are probably one of the largest aspects of the game, I think that Sakurai would rather expand and go mode crazy than character crazy. The more modes, the more there is to do, and the more replay value the game has.

Sure, if Sakurai really wanted to we could have Smash Bros Brawl, a 150 character roster, and still have massive features like SSE and stage builder, but it would lack elsewhere, probably in game depth beyond "just multiplayer" like Melee had. Not that it's multiplayer was not great, but Smash Bros has much more potential than that.

Besides, character balancing would be ridiculously hard and require a ton of real testing, not just figures on paper to determine balance. Once you hit forty unique characters, it's hard to make characters unique in terms of balance: priority, strength, speed, weight, there are only so many combinations you can make, and then the moveset still has to be taken into consideration with that balance... just not easy at all.

So... I stand by my approx 35. Maybe a few more, maybe even a few less, but that seems less likely.
Ok I will admit that that is the best point anyone has given. I rather have like 35 character but a kick @$$ story mode then like 150 characters and sucky everywhere else. I just hope they have at least 40 characters and then they can add anything else they want.

Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, Link, Darklink, Wario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Pit, Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Snake, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Fox and Peach. Total - 24 (With DarkLink) Chars now PLUS some hidden Chars. so im expecting around 30-40 :] It's not finnished about all new characters so, it will be some new i think on www.Smashbros.com :]
Who's Dark Link? Isn't he just a different color you can pick?

... And also is it me or does it seem that Nintendo is just adding pointless things the past two days? *Not including the music today.*

Boofer

Smash Ace
Chaosblade, you make alot of sense. 35 is very reasonable, and I doubt you'll set yourself up for disappointment by expecting that many.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I predict 42 chars. Wow the wii uses a 8.5 gb disk. If melee uses a 1.5 gb disk & still had 26 chars. We're gonna get a hell more chars this time.

ninjutsu11

Smash Rookie
Yeah DarkLink is a different colour, but i will say that DarkLink is another character ^_^ maybe it's wrong?

Why would you want anymore? 35 characters that are well developed can easily triumph over 50 charaters that weren't developed well. Quantities are worse than qualities, because you'll eventually wind up with clones (Even though I don't mind their precense).

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'd rather have more characters with some of them as clones instead less that are unique >_>

I really don't see a problem with clones... and everyone loves many different characters. (clones aren't exact the same as their originals)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think about 45 maybe 50.

now don't go telling me I'm silly or I'm an idiot. There are many many nintendo characters that deserve to be in brawl, I made a list of all the popular characters suggested on this site and I struggled to keep it to 50 even. and no I didn't put in Koopa or any generic character either.

Nintendo is a big company with many many unique and interesting characters that deserve to be in brawl.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I've been thinking 36 for a while because it's a square number. Strange reason, I know, but I was playing Tournament mode in Melee recently, and the character select screen was organized 5x5. Why not 6x6 for Brawl? Plus it seems in that logical range.

I definitely think 40 is REALLY starting to push it though.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
11 of the current characters are newcomers. That would mean that, if all the characters are returning, we'd already have 36 (hi Yuoko!).

But as we know, many characters are being removed.

(5) Definite outs include: Pichu, Dr. Mario, Roy, Ness, and Young Link.

(4) Characters that may be out: Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Falco, and Marth.

(3) Characters that are EXTREMELY unlikely to be out: Sheik, Luigi, and Ganandorf.

That leaves us with, assuming that all these characters are removed, we'd be at 24. Assuming only the definite outs are . . . well . . . out, we're still at 31.

I beleive that 35+ characters would be fitting, and that would give us a respectable amount of newcomers, such as Captain Olimar, Ridley, Megaman, etc..

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
I've been thinking 36 for a while because it's a square number. Strange reason, I know, but I was playing Tournament mode in Melee recently, and the character select screen was organized 5x5. Why not 6x6 for Brawl? Plus it seems in that logical range.

I definitely think 40 is REALLY starting to push it though.
Why would you think that 40 is pushing it? I think 40 is a good number just to start. If Nintendo had to ruch Melee in 9 months, and they have 2+ years on this game, I think at least 40+ would be a reasonable amount.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Somewhere between 36-38. Bit high, but I expect 4-6 more newcomers which will be hidden.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Yeah are all the characters they have revealed avilable at the very beginning. ...
That would suck because we would all know who would be in the game. ...
I hope not.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
Is it just me, or is this thread going in circles? >.<

Anyways, the reason I want 40-50 is because if the roster ends up in the 30's, I don't know if Isaac will get in. Adding a few more slots raises his chances substantially imo, and as you can see he's my #1 and #2 pick, heh.

So, as Demon Kirby said, we have 36 characters if everyone from Melee comes back. Obviously, Ness, Doc, Pichu, and Roy won't come back, but I'll be generous and say that Young Link gets turned into WW Link. Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Ganondorf are a sure thing, Sheik is a wee bit more questionable, but let's say everyone of those does come back, and we have 32 chars.

I find it really hard to believe that 36 will be the final number, unless they make some heavy cuts from Melee. I mean, from 32, let's add Krystal, Ridley, Geno and Mega Man, four shoe-ins, and that's the whole roster? I doubt it.

There's still room for Olimar, K. Rool, Isaac, AC guy, Lucario, Midna, Bowser Jr. And I'm just thinking semi-likely here, Sakurai could throw us a curve ball and give us Waluigi. Who knows?

Anyways, without some heavy cuts from Melee, 40-50 looks like a sure thing.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, 40 - 50 sounds more like wishful thinking than what will actually happen. Some characters that could easily be the 46th and 47th spot could easily be assist trophies.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
11 of the current characters are newcomers. That would mean that, if all the characters are returning, we'd already have 36 (hi Yuoko!).

But as we know, many characters are being removed.

(5) Definite outs include: Pichu, Dr. Mario, Roy, Ness, and Young Link.

(4) Characters that may be out: Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Falco, and Marth.

(3) Characters that are EXTREMELY unlikely to be out: Sheik, Luigi, and Ganandorf.

That leaves us with, assuming that all these characters are removed, we'd be at 24. Assuming only the definite outs are . . . well . . . out, we're still at 31.

I beleive that 35+ characters would be fitting, and that would give us a respectable amount of newcomers, such as Captain Olimar, Ridley, Megaman, etc..
Ok first why would Jigglypuff be out? It has been in the past 2 games, so has Luigi, so what is the difference between them? I don't see why Jigglypuff would be out and Luigi would be in. Also why would Marth be out?

Boofer

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or is this thread going in circles? >.<

Anyways, the reason I want 40-50 is because if the roster ends up in the 30's, I don't know if Isaac will get in. Adding a few more slots raises his chances substantially imo, and as you can see he's my #1 and #2 pick, heh.
Yeah, same here.

I find it really hard to believe that 36 will be the final number, unless they make some heavy cuts from Melee. I mean, from 32, let's add Krystal, Ridley, Geno and Mega Man, four shoe-ins, and that's the whole roster? I doubt it.
Actually, I've kind of changed my mind since I posted last. That DOES seem unlikely, especially considering about 20 of the revealed characters are probably starters. I highly doubt we'd get more secret veterans than secret newcomers. I have a strong feeling we'll get more than 6 unlockable newcomers (melee had 9).

But then again, there is the chance that they'll take cut a few more vets, which could make 36 a bit more believable.

There's still room for Olimar, K. Rool, Isaac, AC guy, Lucario, Midna, Bowser Jr. And I'm just thinking semi-likely here, Sakurai could throw us a curve ball and give us Waluigi. Who knows?

Anyways, without some heavy cuts from Melee, 40-50 looks like a sure thing.
I agree that the amount of characters could very well go in to the 40's, but I don't think 50 is the max. I'd say the max is like 45. 50 would mean about 20 unannounced newcomers (very very doubtful imo). I think that's as unlikely as a full roster of 28.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I know many of you think 50 characters is a crazy number, but I really think Sakurai and Nintendo really want to go big with this smash bros and include as much characters as they possibly can, They have had 2 years to make it after all, which is a good bit more than the time they had for melee.

This is just the feeling I get, I also think when people say 35 characters they are being bias towards there own character wants and not thinking of characters other people would like.

This is an example.

Let's say I want Sukapon, Kirby, Luigi and Ike to be in the next smash game.

I then might say "I think there should be eight characters in the next game" (I know it's small this is just an example). I allow for obvious characters coming back but I don't look to all the characters other people would want because I'm biased towards my favorites and allow for the obvious returns(like mario, pikachu or Samus)

I just find it very hard to choose only 35 deserving characters for brawl when there is a massive list of great brawl characters (no goombas, koopas or clones included) down to a number like 35.

You have Geno, Ridley, Bomberman, Megaman, Sukapon, Marth, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Ac rep, Bowser jr, Luigi, Shiek, Claus, Takamaru, Captain olimar, Chibi robo, Vivian(I'm biased on this one a bit I admit but she is unique), Stafy, Demille, Krystal, Falco, Midna, Ganondorf, Captain falcon, Isaac, Mr. game and watch and numerous other characters that are worthy to be in brawl, If you say no you're probably biased as every character in this list is unique and a group of people believe in them and support them. (if I missed any character you think is very unique, tell me and I'll put on the list :))

I could go on listing worthy characters all night if needed (ok there may be slight eggsageration there :p)

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
In Brawl there will be:

40 Characters

19 Old Characters + 1 Old Transformation
19 New Characters + 1 New Transformation

The List:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Wario

Yoshi

Kirby
MetaKnight
King Dedede

Pikachu
Trainer
Jigglypuff
Lucario

Lucas
Claus

Samus (Zero Suit Samus)
Ridley

Fox
Falco
Krystal

Link
Zelda (Sheik)
Ganondorf

Marth
Ike

Captain Falcon
Isaac
Captain Olimar
Ice Climbers
Pit
Mr. Game and Watch

Sonic
Megaman
Snake

Plus 1 more new character. Your guess is as good as mine....

Geno? Wart? Midna? Wolf? WW Link? Skull Kid? Bowsr Jr.? Black Knight? Ashely?

Who Knows?!?!

elee88

Smash Cadet
i say 35-40 but i could maybe live with a little more.

if more than 45 that would be too much.

Boofer

Smash Ace
ehh...I'm changing my estimates from 35-42 to about 32 - 40. I'm starting to lose hope. There's a chance he might be romoving more veterans than I originally thought, based on rumors. There's also a chance that we might have less than 20 starters, which could also hint at less characters...Well, unless he decides to be spontaneous and give us more unlockables than starters.

I still think it'll be stupid for them to give us less than 35 characters total, but my guess is that he's not really paying attention to the amount of characters, but to the characters themselves. Especially since he said that they unintentionally arrived at 25/26 characters for Melee.

Top Bottom