• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many character do you expect?

ninjutsu11

Smash Rookie
I think around 30-40 because the limit of space on the DVD's. I mean, It's just 4.7 Gig on that DVD's and like someone said, 100 chars..no fu**ing way that its going to happend. And no, Nintendo doesn't use two DVD's ^_^ Thx for me :]

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
I think around 30-40 because the limit of space on the DVD's. I mean, It's just 4.7 Gig on that DVD's and like someone said, 100 chars..no fu**ing way that its going to happend. And no, Nintendo doesn't use two DVD's ^_^ Thx for me :]
Yeah 100 characters.... we don't really need that many characters. If they want to add more characters they could always put more on the vitural console! I think that will be the best idea ever, expand the game by buying upgrades online! But Nintendo needs to have between 35-45 characters, 50 max.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
Yeah 100 characters.... we don't really need that many characters. If they want to add more characters they could always put more on the vitural console! I think that will be the best idea ever, expand the game by buying upgrades online! But Nintendo needs to have between 35-45 characters, 50 max.
thats what i want from nintendo...
Virtual Console characters sounds good...

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
I still think Nintendo needs to delay Brawl until they can fit at least 35+ characters and 20+ stages and tons of items and extras into the game. I want this SSB game to last as long as it possible can.

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
Are you insane? I'd rather have only 30 characters than have the release date pushed back. That would be horrible. kittens would die.

Also the virtual console idea doesn't really seem to be as good as it sounds on paper IMO
especially if you had to spend Wii points

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
I agree with your logic. 15 more sounds about right BUT your forgetting to compensate for the loss of characters that will be taken out of Melee. So here's the math:

10 + 16(inclusion of sheik) + 20(inclusion of zero-suit) - 6(Ness, pichu, roy, young link, dr. mario and one more) = 40 (20 old, 20 new).... so actually 38 with two transformation characters. (not counting trainer as a transformation character.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
If no series gets less representation that in Melee, (i.e. at least 2 Fire Emblem reps, 5 Mario reps, 4 Zelda reps) then the minimum number of characters is 33. That's the ABSOLUTE minimum. So, yeah, I'd say about 40.

Are you insane? I'd rather have only 30 characters than have the release date pushed back. That would be horrible.
Also... WHAT!??? You're just impatient. Are you aware how many games are around that AREN'T Brawl?? Just play those for a while! Seriously, if they said they wanted to push the release date back to December 3rd 2008 to add another 20 characters and improve the multiplayer/online, I would welcome it!!

ANY true gamer (the kind that really values a good game, a group I assume you are not part of) knows that the death of gaming will be brought around by INCOMPLETE games being pushed out to early for "marketing" purposes.

Case in point:
SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE

An extra year of development could make for an extra decade of replay value.

Alex Tcp

Smash Journeyman
I still think Nintendo needs to delay Brawl until they can fit at least 35+ characters and 20+ stages and tons of items and extras into the game. I want this SSB game to last as long as it possible can.
Okay why do so many of you think that brawl needs to be delayed in order to make so many characters, they have been working on it for two years now, (twice as long as melee) and besides, the developers already knew everything that was going to be in it back in 05 when they began developing, they don't just add stuff part way through, the Dojo already said they were almost done developing it (Right before it got delayed ironically) and I really don't see why they would need another year to finish this.

antimatter

Smash Lord
its twice as long because of the clones from last time. they are trying to avoid that. sure, ganondorf being falcon on steroids was cool, but it disappointed Zelda fans. there are hordes of them where i am.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Okay why do so many of you think that brawl needs to be delayed in order to make so many characters, they have been working on it for two years now, (twice as long as melee) and besides, the developers already knew everything that was going to be in it back in 05 when they began developing, they don't just add stuff part way through, the Dojo already said they were almost done developing it (Right before it got delayed ironically) and I really don't see why they would need another year to finish this.
I know they have been working on Brawl for two or three years but they could at least say who they are EXPECTING to add. I rather have a game delay for a year then have this game be crap with like 30 characters. I want a WHOOPING amount of character, and from what everyone else says, they do too!

Zevox

Smash Lord
I know they have been working on Brawl for two or three years but they could at least say who they are EXPECTING to add. I rather have a game delay for a year then have this game be crap with like 30 characters. I want a WHOOPING amount of character, and from what everyone else says, they do too!
...and where do you get the notion that the game would need to be delayed at all, much less an entire year, to get more than 30 characters? Melee was made in less than one year from the ground up with 26 characters, 20 of which were totally unique. Brawl has been in development for more than two years, and it had the Melee work as a base to start with. Its pretty well inconceivable that there'd be any trouble getting at least close to 40 characters done in all that time.

Zevox

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I say about 45. This would give most of everyone's choices a chance to be in the roster. I don't think this is unreasonable, because it isn't even doubling the roster size of Melee.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I used to think about 34-36 characters...but after seeing Stage Builder and Subspace emissary, as well as just how much work being put into this game on small features such as sending pictures, and recording matches, I'm starting to expect about 38-45. Think about it, the character roster is probably one of their first priorities. If they're willing to spend a lot of time on little things like stickers, and sending your names to your Wii Remote, they're probably spending that much more time on the characters.

EDIT: There won't be more than 50 characters. That would mean 50 characters made it playable before Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Little Mac, etc. I doubt there are 50 characters more requested than them. And we all know Sakurai likes to add highly requested characters.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
...and where do you get the notion that the game would need to be delayed at all, much less an entire year, to get more than 30 characters? Melee was made in less than one year from the ground up with 26 characters, 20 of which were totally unique. Brawl has been in development for more than two years, and it had the Melee work as a base to start with. Its pretty well inconceivable that there'd be any trouble getting at least close to 40 characters done in all that time.

Zevox
0_0'? Wait Melee was made in under a year? That doesn't seem that likely that Nintendo did that in such short time and if they did they should have had no problem having SSBB out on Dec. 3 after 2-3 years of work.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
I think that Brawl will surprise us all. There is a ton of potential to make unique characters, its just a question of are the assist trophies going to jeopardize the playable character roster? This is a big title guys, its going to be bigger than Melee and Smash Bros 64 combined. I think a lot of people have the mentality that all this game is, is a refurbished Melee and that growth and expansion rates will rival Melee's from Smash 64's. It is all right to assume that there will be at least 40 characters, I don't see why people are aiming lower than that. Under 40 characters would be an embarrassment and would make the roster sort of a failure. Nobody can convince me that with all the time Sakurai and his engineers have to make this game are going to short change us and put in less than 40 characters. There are plenty of characters that deserve a shot in Brawl, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the end.

Remember, a big title like this is meant to please the fans. So far this game looks more than just hype and I could imagine that they're going all out on this title.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
I think that Brawl will surprise us all. There is a ton of potential to make unique characters, its just a question of are the assist trophies going to jeopardize the playable character roster? This is a big title guys, its going to be bigger than Melee and Smash Bros 64 combined. I think a lot of people have the mentality that all this game is, is a refurbished Melee and that growth and expansion rates will rival Melee's from Smash 64's. It is all right to assume that there will be at least 40 characters, I don't see why people are aiming lower than that. Under 40 characters would be an embarrassment and would make the roster sort of a failure. Nobody can convince me that with all the time Sakurai and his engineers have to make this game are going to short change us and put in less than 40 characters. There are plenty of characters that deserve a shot in Brawl, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the end.

Remember, a big title like this is meant to please the fans. So far this game looks more than just hype and I could imagine that they're going all out on this title.
I agree with you 110% There are a lot of character that deserve a shot like more Pokemon or New Link characters. I think that they should keep all the characters from the old game. I know Roy and Marth weren't suppose to be in it, but A TON of people like them, so do what the fans like. Maybe there are a couple of characters they could take out like Pichu *even though i use Pichu a lot, I think they used him to advertise Pokemon Gold & Silver* and they could take out Mr. Game and Watch. I think that was more of a"thank you" kinda thing then and "Actually player" kinda thing. I know I have the HIGHEST hope for this game, and from what I hear and watch and look at, Nintendo won't have this game at its best by Feb. so I think they need to delay it, I don't care how long, just make it the bomb.

super-7

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you 110% There are a lot of character that deserve a shot like more Pokemon or New Link characters. I think that they should keep all the characters from the old game. I know Roy and Marth weren't suppose to be in it, but A TON of people like them, so do what the fans like. Maybe there are a couple of characters they could take out like Pichu *even though i use Pichu a lot, I think they used him to advertise Pokemon Gold & Silver* and they could take out Mr. Game and Watch. I think that was more of a"thank you" kinda thing then and "Actually player" kinda thing. I know I have the HIGHEST hope for this game, and from what I hear and watch and look at, Nintendo won't have this game at its best by Feb. so I think they need to delay it, I don't care how long, just make it the bomb.
i agree with you, except for pichu. he should go and even in the pokemon games hes just a
baby pikachu so whats the point of even having him. but the marth and roy should stay especiially marth he was so popular. he was the most used besides fox he should stay!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well, they should take out the CRAPPY CLONES,
(Pichu,Dr.Mario,Young Link, they're essentially the same character as the originals)
and replace the other clone's move sets with original moves,
But yeah, It should still be at least 40+, even without thetransformations...

super-7

Smash Journeyman
(Pichu,Dr.Mario,Young Link, they're essentially the same character as the originals)
excactlly they could replace y-link with windwaker but clones like roy, ganon can
be modified to have their own moves!

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
i agree with you, except for pichu. he should go and even in the pokemon games hes just a
baby pikachu so whats the point of even having him. but the marth and roy should stay especiially marth he was so popular. he was the most used besides fox he should stay!
Yeah Marth can stay, and maybe Roy *but I don't think Roy, just Marth* but Pichu I don't think so. Like you said, its just a baby Pikachu and yes, Pichu and Pikachu have there different advantages and disadventages but really, they are *more or less* the same, just a size difference.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
excactlly they could replace y-link with windwaker but clones like roy, ganon can
be modified to have their own moves!
But then wouldn't the WW Link but a clone? And Ganondorf isn't really a clone, just has very similar moves to C. Falcon but Roy can go, if they can give him different move, then yes please keep him.

Pichu: Yes
Y. Link: Yes
Dr. Mario: Maybe
It *to me* seems like that Dr. Mario, even though with the same attack, just a few different, actually has his own unique personallity somehow, so I don't really think that he should go.

super-7

Smash Journeyman
i hope roy is in along with marth when i unlocked them they were
my fav. and marth like i said is very popular what would be the point of taking
one of the most popular players out of the game?

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Oh No, I don't want Marth out, I don't use him *I use Yoshi* but I think Marth is great, most of my friends use him, but I think Nintendo should get rid of Roy.

Zevox

Smash Lord
0_0'? Wait Melee was made in under a year? That doesn't seem that likely that Nintendo did that in such short time and if they did they should have had no problem having SSBB out on Dec. 3 after 2-3 years of work.
Yep, less than a year. I believe it was around 9 months, to be specific, though its been a while since I heard. The game was greatly rushed in order to get it out in time for the Gamecube release, since the only big-name game Nintendo had for the launch otherwise was Luigi's Mansion. Thats why it had the clones, filler characters like Doctor Mario, a few glitches like the Black Hole glitch, why its adventure mode was little more than classic mode with a few non-combat areas tacked on, and so on.

Zevox

super-7

Smash Journeyman
Oh No, I don't want Marth out, I don't use him *I use Yoshi* but I think Marth is great, most of my friends use him, but I think Nintendo should get rid of Roy.
hmm i can see them getting rid of roy but sakurai can do something with him to unclone him
he could make him a better moveset and give him a meteor. i am only saying this cause
my brothers main is roy. i just want him back cause like i said in the above post he gave all
the north american and europian players a omg marth and roy who are they!

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
I think 50 characters would be a great number, maybe even... 64? Hehe, kidding, 50 is perfect.

Also, I hope for more Pokémon for the Trainer, which would not be considered characters specifically (the Trainer is the 'character').

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
hmm i can see them getting rid of roy but sakurai can do something with him to unclone him
he could make him a better moveset and give him a meteor. i am only saying this cause
my brothers main is roy. i just want him back cause like i said in the above post he gave all
the north american and europian players a omg marth and roy who are they!
Yeah they help expand Fire Emblem to the rest of the world. Like I said, if they can give Roy some new moves, then yes keep him, we want all the characters we can get ^^

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
40+

I don't know if I can accept anything less. :ohwell:

ninjutsu11

Smash Rookie
Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, Link, Darklink, Wario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Pit, Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Snake, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Fox and Peach. Total - 24 (With DarkLink) Chars now PLUS some hidden Chars. so im expecting around 30-40 :] It's not finnished about all new characters so, it will be some new i think on www.Smashbros.com :]

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
And as for delaying Brawl even though they had a lot more time to develop it, this is the first Smash Bros game so far that has not been tied down by strict deadlines and ending rushed.

Now, in relation to characters, I don't think a whole lot more development time, a 8.5 GB disk vs a 1.5 GB disk, and all of the other arguments toward 50 characters (or more) really apply. Although characters are probably one of the largest aspects of the game, I think that Sakurai would rather expand and go mode crazy than character crazy. The more modes, the more there is to do, and the more replay value the game has.

Sure, if Sakurai really wanted to we could have Smash Bros Brawl, a 150 character roster, and still have massive features like SSE and stage builder, but it would lack elsewhere, probably in game depth beyond "just multiplayer" like Melee had. Not that it's multiplayer was not great, but Smash Bros has much more potential than that.

Besides, character balancing would be ridiculously hard and require a ton of real testing, not just figures on paper to determine balance. Once you hit forty unique characters, it's hard to make characters unique in terms of balance: priority, strength, speed, weight, there are only so many combinations you can make, and then the moveset still has to be taken into consideration with that balance... just not easy at all.

So... I stand by my approx 35. Maybe a few more, maybe even a few less, but that seems less likely.

ninjutsu11

Smash Rookie
You have so right about that :] But Nintendo is using 4.7 gig diskes, right? not DL? gah :]

Top Bottom