• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How long is Smash 3DS going to last?

How long is Smash 3DS going to last?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the8thark

Smash Lord
Calling people out on their stupidity is extreme now? I live in a free Country where we can say what we want.
If you're talking about the USA, in theory you are correct but in practice, Manning, Snowden and others disagree with you.

Ace Trainer Robin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tyler**
3DS FC
2165-6886-1345
i agree, a lot of people dont have a wii u or dont have enough money to buy a wii u, like myself, hopefully i can get some money to get smash for wii u :)

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
If we're talking competitively, yeah, the 3DS version will pretty much be dead. I can't see a 3DS tournament happening after the Wii U version comes around.
I think this was more of the answer I was trying to find, just sayin'.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Calling people out on their stupidity is extreme now? I live in a free Country where we can say what we want.
Freedom of speech is a pretty weak excuse, man. but whatever. I'm just not used to seeing anybody calling each other names on this site lol.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
The 3ds version will last almost as long as the wiiU version but the wiiU version is the best version of this game (for me mostly because of the stage builder)

Competitive wise the 3ds will have its place there are 1000's of people who can't afford or will not buy a wiiU for smash bros when the 3ds gives them everything they already need or want.

Tournaments will mostly be played on the wiiU version. Hell nintendo even made online tournaments that anyone can create.

I don't see much for competitive players on the 3ds but it will have a competitive side.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I think the 3DS version will last as long as the Wii U version as well.

Personally, I've got the 3DS version (as I do not own a Wii U as of yet) and that will keep me busy for a while.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
If you don't like America you can get out.
That's clearly not what he's saying but good job at twisting his words. And please, keep the patriotic reherteric to a minimum. This is the Internet, not the U.S. for goodness sakes.

Last edited:

Rivinhal

Smash Rookie
As for tournaments? Doubt it. I suppose 3DS tournaments could be much cheaper and easier, considering you don't need to get a big setup with TVs and consoles and such, and that might spark smaller-scale tournaments, but for the most part it'll be Wii U i'm sure.
I agree. I doubt there will be large scale tournaments and stuff, but I'm 100% certain that because of it's ease and portability LOADS of small/personal tournaments will pop up.

In fact amongst friends, we've already had a personal tournament (whereas if the game wasn't on a handheld, we probably wouldn't be able to.) and plan to have many more. So I don't doubt small tournaments and personal tournaments held between friends will be more frequent than ever.

So imo, basically it'll survive for the same reason portable versions have always survived lol. Ease, portability, etc. Plus way more people own the 3DS than the Wii U. But that doesn't mean the entire hardcore scene is going to shun the "ultimate" version of the game for ease...

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I do not understand these threads, specifically a poll. As if opinions...popular or not, will give us an answer to this question....let alone influence the answer. It also varies on ones definition of when a video game becomes "dead." Dead as in no more mainstream competition? dead as in its console/platform is obsolete? as in the closing of ssb4 3ds online due to lack of use and decreased popularity? dead as in the day my great great times infinity grandchild will no longer be able to play his ancestors antique handheld gaming device passed down from generation to generation because the cartridge had eventually decomposed over an undetermined amount of time?

@ Syrek - LOL dont feed trolls bro.... he was quoting a line from an episode of South Park. And if he was not quoting a line from South Park that person is a liar and I will fight them. Your reply did make me laugh out loud..."this is the internet not the US, LOL @ americans forgetting/not knowing that the internet is a global entity.....and that everyone using the internet is also american

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I do not understand these threads, specifically a poll. As if opinions...popular or not, will give us an answer to this question....let alone influence the answer. It also varies on ones definition of when a video game becomes "dead." Dead as in no more mainstream competition? dead as in its console/platform is obsolete? as in the closing of ssb4 3ds online due to lack of use and decreased popularity? dead as in the day my great great times infinity grandchild will no longer be able to play his ancestors antique handheld gaming device passed down from generation to generation because the cartridge had eventually decomposed over an undetermined amount of time?
Well, dead as in the competitive scene of the 3DS is near-dead, since I thought everyone would be playing the Wii U version competitively instead with it's access to Gamecube Controllers, better graphics, and quite possibbly the option of more stages. That's what I meant, and perhaps I should've stated that at the beggining.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well, dead as in the competitive scene of the 3DS is near-dead, since I thought everyone would be playing the Wii U version competitively instead with it's access to Gamecube Controllers, better graphics, and quite possibbly the option of more stages. That's what I meant, and perhaps I should've stated that at the beggining.
Well, when you put it like that, then a vast majority of the competitive players will slowly gravitate towards the Wii U version. The 3DS version will still be viable, but don't expect the competition to be as strong online.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

@ Syrek - LOL dont feed trolls bro.... he was quoting a line from an episode of South Park. And if he was not quoting a line from South Park that person is a liar and I will fight them. Your reply did make me laugh out loud..."this is the internet not the US, LOL @ americans forgetting/not knowing that the internet is a global entity.....and that everyone using the internet is also american
Ohhhh.....yeah I've never watched South Park before so that flew right over my head hahaha! XD But your absolutely right, nothing good comes from feeding the trolls on the Internet. I've said my peace and ill leave it at that. ^_^ Haha, well I'm glad you liked my little retort. Honestly, the Internet is not a country, yet some people treat it likes its part of they're own country or something. Silly people. :p

Last edited:

wingo

Smash Apprentice

Does this say smashboards.co.UK ? I think not.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Ohhhh.....yeah I've never watched South Park before so that flew right over my head hahaha! XD But your absolutely right, nothing good comes from feeding the trolls on the Internet. I've said my peace and ill leave it at that. ^_^ Haha, well I'm glad you liked my little retort. Honestly, the Internet is not a country, yet some people treat it likes its part of they're own country or something. Silly people. :p

lolz whut?

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Does this say smashboards.co.UK ? I think not.
If you don't like America you can get out.
I like all countries in the world equally. I don't play favourites with one over an other. Sure I'm slightly patriotic to Australia as that's my home but past that, I treat all countries and people from all countries equally.

The rest of the world does exist and it has as much right to be liked and exist as the USA does. Do you understand this?

Last edited:

wingo

Smash Apprentice
I like all countries in the world equally. I don't play favourites with one over an other. Sure I'm slightly patriotic to Australia as that's my home but past that, I treat all countries and people from all countries equally.

The rest of the world does exist and it has as much right to be liked and exist as the USA does. Do you understand this?
No.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please stay on topic everyone. Also please stay respectful of one another, this is meant to be a website and resource for Smash fans from around the world.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The poll speaks for itself.

For most tournaments, Wii U version will be used, but mostly because it's a lot easier to get people in a room to play one console, than for everyone to bring a DS and play.

The 3ds version will, however, remain strong, as I can't carry my Wii U in my backpack and play on the bus.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Its Smash Brothers on the go. You just cant beat that. Obviously the wii u game will have more content and will be used in tourneys more often, but smash 3ds is already a timeless gem. It has enough differences from the wii u game to enjoy it on top of being able to play it on the toilet :p

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The Wii U is the cheapest console in the market.
Beside, the most peolpe already said what I already said....
3ds was 250 when I bought it (the special OOT one)
And Wii U was 350

A 100 dollar difference isnt TOO much, all things considered.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well when I it (like a year ago) it was 350, with New Super Mario Bros U

But I think it should be 300 by now or somethin.

Also if it was used, the price was justifiable.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well when I it (like a year ago) it was 350, with New Super Mario Bros U

But I think it should be 300 by now or somethin.

Also if it was used, the price was justifiable.
Yeah, Wii u is 300 now. Also, most Wii u consoles are bundled with a game or two. So you get your money's worth.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah, Wii u is 300 now. Also, most Wii u consoles are bundled with a game or two. So you get your money's worth.
Sure enough. The only reason not to buy one YET, if you can and are interested, might be because 2015 is gonna be an amazing Wii U year.

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
I'll say it again, not everyone can afford a WiiU. That includes me . _.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Smash 64 still is played to this day, so I am confident Smash 3DS will still be played a decade from now on, to the very least. The mechanics are solid and unlike the Wii U, the 3DS is quite the popular system. People really should stop thinking the 3DS version will stop being played once the Wii U version is out haha.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Smash 64 still is played to this day, so I am confident Smash 3DS will still be played a decade from now on, to the very least. The mechanics are solid and unlike the Wii U, the 3DS is quite the popular system. People really should stop thinking the 3DS version will stop being played once the Wii U version is out haha.
The thing about Smash that makes it different from other fighters: The games themselves all play differently, and with the huge gap between then, they ALL have a LOT of replayability and durability.

the8thark

Smash Lord
The thing about Smash that makes it different from other fighters: The games themselves all play differently, and with the huge gap between then, they ALL have a LOT of replayability and durability.
This is Smash's blessing and it's curse. Every fighter unique (even the clones have their own play style) is amazing. But it does make some fighters better than others because of this. But I'll take that and say thank you. I'm glad at least one fighting game puts fun first and homogenising the fighters (to remove any supposed OP fighters or moves) near the bottom or not at all.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is Smash's blessing and it's curse. Every fighter unique (even the clones have their own play style) is amazing. But it does make some fighters better than others because of this. But I'll take that and say thank you. I'm glad at least one fighting game puts fun first and homogenising the fighters (to remove any supposed OP fighters or moves) near the bottom or not at all.
Some fighters are better than the other, but it DOES seem like this game is the most balanced out of all.

Like, I'm pretty sure someone stated that while there's A-F tier, any character from A to E can believably win tournaments, trouncing over higher tiered characters.

ferioku

Smash Ace
U version for regular play, 3DS for customs tounlrnaments due to simplicity of setup.
Nah, the wii u version should have customs. We can transfer custom moves over through versions and I'm sure the setup will be as easy on the wii u vereion

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nah, the wii u version should have customs. We can transfer custom moves over through versions and I'm sure the setup will be as easy on the wii u vereion
I mean, I agree, but depending on how customs tend to be utilized and how the tournament is being run, the time it takes could grow extremely quickly as tournament size increases. But it would also depend on things like custom transfer speed (and indeed, whether or not you can just transfer setups or the customs themselves). If you can only transfer setups, then any player who skipped the 3DS version now either has to find someone with a spare custom slot to borrow, or is basically out of luck.

If it's largely just a few common styles, for instance everyone basically plays Default Mario but with Quick Fireballs, that's easy, but if things are more varied, for instance some people also like Scalding FLUDD, some people like only Super Jump and the rest default, and others want their own unique setups, that can become REALLY time-consuming, especially if you may be playing on multiple setups. I'm all for customs on the U version, but for really large tournaments that are, for some reason, limited in the number of setups they have, it can be a big time-consumer to let everyone tweak their own. For that reason alone, I could only see it being actually used for smaller tournaments.

It takes long enough to change controls, get coached, and do finger-warmers as-is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom