• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How long is Smash 3DS going to last?

How long is Smash 3DS going to last?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Just gettin' a little worried here.

Smash for Wii U has all these new features that Smash 3DS won't have. For fun gameplay, 8-player smash and custom stages. Competitively, Gamecube Controllers, better graphics, and most likely more stages to play on (Smash 3DS: Battlefield, FD, Yoshi's Island, Wii U: Battlefield, FD, Smashville, Pyrosphere?, Big Battlefield?).

Of course it would be bad in a way if everyone just stopped playing the 3DS version and then went to Wii U. Are there still gonna be people who play the 3DS version once the Wii U version comes out?

Better question: Are there still going to be tournaments for the 3DS verison?

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
wow, ded gaem already?

I have no plans to purchase a Wii U, but unless they allow you to upload replays to a PC, or come up with a convenient way to stream it, the game probably wont be played much at a tournament level. Especially considering that the Wii U will look better as well. Online tournaments are a possibility though.

What would be really awesome would be if they implemented an automated tournament system like they had in Warcraft 3: Frozen throne. Where like twice a week you were given the option to register for an online tournament. I don't remember if there were ever prized (I never made it past 2 rounds), but I always registered for them when I could.

Niala

Smash Ace
First of all, I honestly don't think taking a poll here will give us an accurate answer. The majority of Smash 4 fans here are people that are diehard enough to have wanted both versions all along, and are likely in the same position as you are, being those more interested by the WiiU version than the 3DS. It should also be noted we represent a very vocal minority of the total player-base.

That being said, the amount of 3DS's sold is something like 50 million, and the amount of WiiU's is only about 7million (roughly estimating, of course.) Even if every WiiU owner had a copy of Smash and as low as 20% of 3DS owners had Smash 3DS, that would still leave 3million people with Smash3DS that don't own SmashWiiU. That's a ridiculous assumption to even make, but it does reinforce the point that there are going to be plenty of people who will continue to play Smash 3DS once WiiU is released.

Tournaments, however, I can see dying off. They will likely continue to run for a time in order to accommodate players with only a 3DS, but eventually the WiiU will take over. Plenty of people, including myself and a huge majority of competitive players, don't care for our current controls and can't wait for the opportunity to play Smash4 with something a little more accurate and comfortable. For that reason alone, I can see tournaments being a thing of the past on the 3DS after less than a year, although it's possible that even I am underestimating the value of sales vs. competition.

Don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Anyone who leaves the house for measurable amounts of time will probably bring their 3DS along with them. I certainly do. That won't change when I get the Wii U version. I spend a lot of time on campus between classes and such, so the 3DS version isn't going anywhere.

As for tournaments? Doubt it. I suppose 3DS tournaments could be much cheaper and easier, considering you don't need to get a big setup with TVs and consoles and such, and that might spark smaller-scale tournaments, but for the most part it'll be Wii U i'm sure.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
What I'm curious about is how well I could potentially preform on a Wii U while only practicing on my 3DS. I'm definitely interested in playing at tournaments, but that desire is not nearly enough to justify purchasing the Wii U. I know I'll preform worse, but I wonder how much the difference in controls will make.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Even with the Wii U version being obviously superior in many ways, thanks to the 50 fact extravaganza event that occurred last week, I still firmly believe the 3DS version will have long legs since for many people still don't have a Wii U for whatever the reason and being able to play Smash Bros. wherever you go will have it's benefits compared to the stationary Wii U for the most part.

EDIT: And as Zipzo so elegantly put it, they are not competing with each other, they complete each other which results in being able to play Smash Bros. in various ways, whenever and wherever you want, giving more choice to us Smash fans. They both serve a different purpose and the 3DS version will continue to survive and go on kicking despite the Wii U version's release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I'm pretty convinced that folks who start topics like this, or who constantly propose the argument of which version is "better" have way too much time at home to play games instead of other more pressing responsibilities.

I will get to play Smash 3DS plenty, even after the Wii U version releases. There's the commute to work and back, waiting in queue at an office of any kind, airplanes, road trips. It's a portable Smash for heavens sake, not to mention it lets you practice the latest iteration of Smash given it's identical to the Wii U version in terms of mechanics, anywhere you want.

If I'm at home? Of course I'll be preferring to be on the Wii U version, but that's obvious. You're not taking in to account the 3DS versions most obvious and intended purpose. I doubt the 3DS version was intended to be an actual replacement in all cases to the Wii U version if you already even own a Wii U. They are given you options, to play when and where you want. Please stop this pointless 3DS vs Wii U debate, because it's completely made up in your head. They are not competing. They complete a singular puzzle who's end result is to allow you to play Smash at almost any time in a variety of different forms.

Niala

Smash Ace
What I'm curious about is how well I could potentially preform on a Wii U while only practicing on my 3DS. I'm definitely interested in playing at tournaments, but that desire is not nearly enough to justify purchasing the Wii U. I know I'll preform worse, but I wonder how much the difference in controls will make.
That ranges from "very little" to "completely disastrous." The (current) lack of a c-stick could potentially be gamebreaking-- in Brawl, there were inputs for ATs that could only be feasibly made with a cstick. If something like that were to dominate the metagame, you'd be pretty SOL. It could also not matter at all if you simply have your own GC controller for WiiU tournaemnts, as players are typically expected to bring their own anyway. Or it could just be that the less accurate controls aren't as usable, but only against truly experienced players. Or, it could effect absolutely ****ing nothing.

I expect the latter.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
That ranges from "very little" to "completely disastrous." The (current) lack of a c-stick could potentially be gamebreaking-- in Brawl, there were inputs for ATs that could only be feasibly made with a cstick. If something like that were to dominate the metagame, you'd be pretty SOL. It could also not matter at all if you simply have your own GC controller for WiiU tournaemnts, as players are typically expected to bring their own anyway. Or it could just be that the less accurate controls aren't as usable, but only against truly experienced players. Or, it could effect absolutely ****ing nothing.

I expect the latter.
yeah true. I know the lack of DACUS practice will be an area that could hold me back. But thankfully I do have an old purple Gamecube controller kicking around.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I'm pretty convinced that folks who start topics like this, or who constantly propose the argument of which version is "better" have way too much time at home to play games instead of other more pressing responsibilities.

I will get to play Smash 3DS plenty, even after the Wii U version releases. There's the commute to work and back, waiting in queue at an office of any kind, airplanes, road trips. It's a portable Smash for heavens sake, not to mention it lets you practice the latest iteration of Smash given it's identical to the Wii U version in terms of mechanics, anywhere you want.

If I'm at home? Of course I'll be preferring to be on the Wii U version, but that's obvious. You're not taking in to account the 3DS versions most obvious and intended purpose. I doubt the 3DS version was intended to be an actual replacement in all cases to the Wii U version if you already even own a Wii U. They are given you options, to play when and where you want. Please stop this pointless 3DS vs Wii U debate, because it's completely made up in your head. They are not competing. They complete a singular puzzle who's end result is to allow you to play Smash at almost any time in a variety of different forms.
I wish more people on Smashboards thought this way. Thanks for bringing logic to the conversation. ^_^

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345

Well if people can bring a Wii U to, I don't know, wherever VGBootCamp or ClashTournaments host tournaments and play the Wii U smash there, then what would be the point of playing the 3DS version if you'd get more and better results from using a gamecube controller? I mean if you were practicing on the 3DS version with no custom-made adapter for gamecube controllers, I'm not sure how much of a competitive difference it would make between playing on the 3DS and the Gamecube Controller.

Though do do make a good point about the portable part. I'm apperently f**king blind to that, but still, controllerwise i'm a little bit confused.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I didn't vote, however Smash3DS can last as long as people are on the go, which is very often with busy schedules & getting what little free time you have. SmashWiiU is in-house means of entertainment.

Now for competitive scene-wise, SmashWiiU may overshadow Smash3DS, favoring better & more variety of controls. And personally for me, hype will be on the WiiU. Smash3DS helped me get by with what hype I had for it, but once it hits November 21 baby, that'll be the day.

D

Deleted member

This. Agreed x9000; I don't know why 3DS vs. Wii U arguments exist.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Is this a passive-agressive way of saying the WiiU version is the "better version"? (Which doesn't exist, by the way, both games are amazing and equal)
My answer to your question is simple, as long as there are Smash fans, there will be people playing Smash 3DS.

One thing you may have forgotten. Not everyone has the funds for a WiiU.

Last edited:

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Until November 21st.

3DS will still be played by some, but if you don't think the Wii U version is going to almost completely take over...then there's no point in trying to talk sense to you...

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Until November 21st.

3DS will still be played by some, but if you don't think the Wii U version is going to almost completely take over...then there's no point in trying to talk sense to you...
Did you even read Niala's post? It completely explains why Smash 3DS will still be right next to the WiiU. Neither version is going to "take over"

D

Deleted member 245254

Well if people can bring a Wii U to, I don't know, wherever VGBootCamp or ClashTournaments host tournaments and play the Wii U smash there, then what would be the point of playing the 3DS version if you'd get more and better results from using a gamecube controller? I mean if you were practicing on the 3DS version with no custom-made adapter for gamecube controllers, I'm not sure how much of a competitive difference it would make between playing on the 3DS and the Gamecube Controller.

Though do do make a good point about the portable part. I'm apperently f**king blind to that, but still, controllerwise i'm a little bit confused.
If you for some reason absolutely cannot find yourself able to play a video game with a different control scheme, then go ahead and don't play the 3DS version. It's your choice. It's about recognizing how useful a portable version would be to the general population, not aligning its utility to your singular lifestyle and judging its worth by that alone.

There's no rule saying how much of each version you need to play, or when you need to play each version.

I expect the latter.
My 3DS has a c stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

Lol more 3DS vs. Wii U debates. Can we pretty please stop this silly thing. Like, come on.
Smash 3DS will last. Not everyone is interested on buying a Wii U, and I'm pretty sure those who don't have a Wii U have a 3DS. It's still Smash Bros. Same game. Same gameplay. Just on a handheld.
You can play the Wii U version, yes, that's fine. People are still going to play Smash 3DS regardless.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
If you for some absolutely cannot find yourself able to play a video game with a different control scheme, then go ahead and don't play the 3DS version. It's your choice. It's about recognizing how useful a portable version would be to the general population, not aligning its utility to your singular lifestyle and judging its worth by that alone.

There's no rule saying how much of each version you need to play, or when you need to play each version.
Precisely. I'd also like to mention some families have their consoles (in this case WiiU) set up in the living room, which isn't always available for obvious reasons. So some people who have a 3DS will still play at home too.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Lol more 3DS vs. Wii U debates. Can we pretty please stop this silly thing. Like, come on.
Smash 3DS will last. Not everyone is interested on buying a Wii U, and I'm pretty sure those who don't have a Wii U have a 3DS. It's still Smash Bros. Same game. Same gameplay. Just on a handheld.
You can play the Wii U version, yes, that's fine. People are still going to play Smash 3DS regardless.
This. Agreed x9000; I don't know why 3DS vs. Wii U arguments exist.
Even with the Wii U version being obviously superior in many ways, thanks to the 50 fact extravaganza event that occurred last week, I still firmly believe the 3DS version will have long legs since for many people still don't have a Wii U for whatever the reason and being able to play Smash Bros. wherever you go will have it's benefits compared to the stationary Wii U for the most part.

EDIT: And as Zipzo so elegantly put it, they are not competing with each other, they complete each other which results in being able to play Smash Bros. in various ways, whenever and wherever you want, giving more choice to us Smash fans. They both serve a different purpose and the 3DS version will continue to survive and go on kicking despite the Wii U version's release.
Were there really topics about 3DS vs. Wii U? Like, booming on Smashboards? Like, EVERYWHERE on Smashboards? Maybe I should've taken this a little more seriously if I knew it was this annoying to talk about. Sorry....

Soul.

Were there really topics about 3DS vs. Wii U? Like, booming on Smashboards? Like, EVERYWHERE on Smashboards? Maybe I should've taken this a little more seriously if I knew it was this annoying to talk about. Sorry....
It's not you. It's people doing these assumptions that Smash 3DS will no longer exist for them.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pretty sure some people who enjoy Smash do have lives and have to go outside and have busy schedules. I'm sure plenty of those will be taking a 3DS with them so they can get some Smash in on their free time away from the house.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Like @ Soul. Soul. said, it's not you, it's those who look at Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U like they are competing with each other when that's simply not the case. And as @Zipzo aptly put it, they both serve different purposes, each one fulfilling the needs of Smash fans from a portable Smash Bros. experience to a traditional home console experience. To those who think people will just stop playing the 3DS version once the Wii U version comes out, your ignorance is showing and it's awfully disgusting.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
It's not you. It's people doing these assumptions that Smash 3DS will no longer exist for them.
Like @ Soul. Soul. said, it's not you, it's those who look at Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U like they are competing with each other when that's simply not the case. And as @Zipzo aptly put it, they both serve different purposes, each one fulfilling the needs of Smash fans from a portable Smash Bros. experience to a traditional home console experience. To those who think people will just stop playing the 3DS version once the Wii U version comes out, your ignorance is showing and it's awfully disgusting.
Well then thanks to all the responses so far, my perspective should change, happily and with a sigh of relief.

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
Smash on the go is great for people who have little to no time being at their house due to work and whatnot. Both versions complete each other nicely.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Smash 3DS is for people who prefer handheld gaming and are travelling a lot.
Smash Wii U is for people who stay at home and party with friends a lot.
I hope that made it simple.

the8thark

Smash Lord
First of all, I honestly don't think taking a poll here will give us an accurate answer. The majority of Smash 4 fans here are people that are diehard enough to have wanted both versions all along, and are likely in the same position as you are, being those more interested by the WiiU version than the 3DS. It should also be noted we represent a very vocal minority of the total player-base.

That being said, the amount of 3DS's sold is something like 50 million, and the amount of WiiU's is only about 7million (roughly estimating, of course.) Even if every WiiU owner had a copy of Smash and as low as 20% of 3DS owners had Smash 3DS, that would still leave 3million people with Smash3DS that don't own SmashWiiU. That's a ridiculous assumption to even make, but it does reinforce the point that there are going to be plenty of people who will continue to play Smash 3DS once WiiU is released.

Tournaments, however, I can see dying off. They will likely continue to run for a time in order to accommodate players with only a 3DS, but eventually the WiiU will take over. Plenty of people, including myself and a huge majority of competitive players, don't care for our current controls and can't wait for the opportunity to play Smash4 with something a little more accurate and comfortable. For that reason alone, I can see tournaments being a thing of the past on the 3DS after less than a year, although it's possible that even I am underestimating the value of sales vs. competition.

Don't worry about it.
Smash Bros. 3DS sales – 3.22 million units worldwide

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/141029e.pdf

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Only problem i've noticed about the 3DS in tourneys is that you get hic ups every now and then despite playing locally.

Other than that this will last for years imo, almost everyone has a 3DS and a lot of owners won't purchase a Wii U.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'm going to say that Smash 3DS will continue on just as long as the Wii U version will, but it won't be nearly the same intensity.

On the competitive side, it'll also continue, but it'll be a sideshow. There will be tournaments, for example, but they won't be as big a deal as the Wii U ones.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Competitively I don't see it happening, I think it will go away on that side almost definitely, these people have been carrying around Gamecubes and Wii's as well as giant CRTS for years now, it doesn't matter how portable it is unless it's on an arcade cabinet. Only to practice on the go at the most.

Casually sure, people will still continue to play the 3ds version exclusively because they believe they don't need a gamecube controller or will never buy a Wii U because "it has no games tho"

wingo

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Is this a passive-agressive way of saying the WiiU version is the "better version"? (Which doesn't exist, by the way, both games are amazing and equal)
My answer to your question is simple, as long as there are Smash fans, there will be people playing Smash 3DS.

One thing you may have forgotten. Not everyone has the funds for a WiiU.
Did you just say they were equal? You are even more stupid than the people making these threads.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
If we're talking competitively, yeah, the 3DS version will pretty much be dead. I can't see a 3DS tournament happening after the Wii U version comes around.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Did you just say they were equal? You are even more stupid than the people making these threads.
That seems a little extreme, don't you think?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
If we're talking competitively, yeah, the 3DS version will pretty much be dead. I can't see a 3DS tournament happening after the Wii U version comes around.
I think they will happen, but it'll basically be something on the side, more there for people who get eliminated early from a Wii U tournament than anything.

Top Bottom