• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long has it taken all of you...

Gen. Empoleon

Smash Rookie
To learn how to L-Cancel, Wavedash(Effectively) and all of that?

I'm not new to smash, just somewhat new to the advanced techs like those. I've been practicing for maybe a week on the L-Cancel. It seems that I can't do it right to even go Falco SHFFL Dair--->Shine. I've been trying to do this a lot to help me practice L-Cancel and it hasn't really done much, I'm still not consistent.

With that being said when I try to wavedash I have the small problem where either I won't go far at all (even for Falco) or I'll do a roll instead.

Could I get some advice on this? How long did it take you guys to learn this stuff?

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
It took me a while. Don't worry, it'll come with your practice. L-cancels were the hardest to learn for me, I couldn't do it consistantly either. However I've gotten better now. It took me about a month or so to finally get it right. And I'm still working on trying to add it to my gameplay. It isn't to easy but you'll get it eventually. As bad as this is gonna sound, all I can tell you is just keep practicing. :)

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
Yeah just keep practicing...
Practice like if you put the controller down, the police will bust in and arrest you lol

Find your correct timing

Took me bout 1 week to learn L-canceling and wavedashing and 2 weeks for SHFFLing

Even after so much practice, I havent even "perfected" wavedashing...

Just keep at it, you'll get it eventually...

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Practice is all that you can do there's no magic formula that helps you l-cancel, or wavedash but don't worry too much about it, if you apply yourself you should be shffling and wavedashing in no time. :chuckle:

~rh

Smash Lord
Just practice. i started around 3 years ago and I became good at wavedashing in around a month. I integrated it into my playstyle and everything.

MassofthePhoenix

Smash Cadet
Yeah just keep practicing...
Took me bout 1 week to learn L-canceling and wavedashing and 2 weeks for SHFFLing
About the same amount of time with me, though I still haven't been able to properly SHFFL yet, but I am sure that'll come in another week or two. And I am still just exploring when it is best to impliment Lcancelling and wavedashing for my character and style. As said before practice makes perfect, but what I find really helps is practicing with people who are a good deal above your level, you improve on things really quick that way

Eggm

Smash Hero
It takes awhile lol, just make sure you know what your practicing then put in the hours. :(

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It takes awhile lol, just make sure you know what your practicing then put in the hours. :(
Agreed. It's a lot easier to practice something when you know not only what you're doing, but that you're doing it in the most efficient way. For instance, reverse waveshining took a lot longer for me to master (and I still slip up sometimes) than regular waveshining, but it became a lot easier when I first learned to tilt the control stick forward instead of simply jumping and pushing it backwards. I've heard that this is how players like DaShizWhiz perform it, and it allows for easier "perfect" wavedashes/shines. It's just better to learn it the easy, right way first instead of the "self-perfected" way.

Rat

Smash Lord
Make sure you practice new techniques against people.

Putting your full concentration into a move is different than watching/reacting to your opponent AND doing that move.

....Maybe practice shifting your focus while doing it???

Zodiac

Smash Master
It took me a couple of months to be able to do it consistently in matches. That's what friendlies are for, practicing and implementing new techniques. But Falco's dair to shine is a hard l-cancel to pull off so dont be down about that. Another good thing to know is. Make sure whatever you have your cube/wii hooked into doesn't cause any lag Mine caused lag for the first week I practiced >.> It made me start over from scratch.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
Reading the trophies really helped me out. I learned all of that and just practiced for so long that it just comes naturally now

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I still don't L-cancel.

So... my time = 1/0
DID YOU JUST DIVIDE BY ZERO!?

Memes aside, I found that when I finally got into the groove of L-cancelling that I was pressing it too late while learning. I was pressing it more at the landing frame instead of earlier. When I WOP with Jiggz on the stage, I basically press the L/R button just as my Bair hits/was supposed to hit.

If your having trouble L-cancelling, do the recommended practice w/ Bowser or Link's Dair, and try mixing up your timing. It helped me. -shrug-

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I thought shuffling would be impossible, but after about a month, I was consistent. Now, I rarely miss an L-cancel. I can see the lag when I do, too. Put on some music, and practice for an hour or two continuously.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Took me about a month.

Once you get the timing down, it gets easier.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
wavedashing I had down in about one day, and am actually still working on effectively using it in matches, I don't think anyone is ever done with that part of it.

L cancelling; was always too lazy to try, but when I finally did it took me about 2 smashfests with people way better then me, to get it down ;P

okiyama

Smash Ace
I learned how to actually preform wavedash within like 3-4 hours of trying it. I could wavedash across FD within a week. Actually implementing it to the point where I could use it for spacing and stuff took about 3 months if I remember correctly. L canceling didn't come quickly for me... at all. I have been a fox main since I started playing. Literally, I played every character then decided on Fox on the first day and since then that's what it's been. L canceling was hard because I couldn't short hop with fox for about 8-9 months. Then it took 2 months after that to learn to L Cancel every time. Then about another week or two to get down SHFFL.

So the basic techniques, Wavedash, L Cancel, SHFFL. Took about 9 months but that's much longer than usual because I couldn't short hop for a very long time.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I am currently at the point where I don't think about the button combinations that I have to input in order to SHFFL, Wavedash/land, etc. I just do them. Short hopping took like a month to do consistently in matches. Once I could do that, I just got the SHFFL rhythm down for Falcon, and then I worked on combos. WDing took longer, because Falcon doesn't use it much. I just played some Luigi.

However, I still have trouble consistently Waveshining with Falco.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
you know what they say

vids or stfu
We've already have a whole thread or two with people saying that vids don't matter, blah blah, M2K is god, blah blah.

But based on his extreme amount of knowledge about Samus, I'd have to say it's looking like he's the best with his character.

No reason to act like an immature little kid and instigate with someone like that.

Corigames

Smash Hero
We've already have a whole thread or two with people saying that vids don't matter, blah blah, M2K is god, blah blah.

But based on his extreme amount of knowledge about Samus, I'd have to say it's looking like he's the best with his character.

No reason to act like an immature little kid and instigate with someone like that.
Thanks F8.

10thanks

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
it basically takes time and lots and I mean lots of practice to build skill and timing, it just won't happen overnight.

as for me though, I guess you could say a month before I had mostly everything down, I am a slow learner, but I usually tend to get the job done.

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet
Depends on what character you use. I mained fox so it took me a month to get his wavedash down. But l canceling took about a week. So it took me about a month and a half overall. But with samus it took 2 weeks. The hard part about all of this was applying it to my playstyle.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... you have a problem with that?
Lcancelling isn't used as often with samus as it is with other characers. The only thing you're really SHFFLing is the Dair, and even that move is really situational. All of Samus' Lcancels are in her platform and ledgehop game.

Oh and umm Wavedashing took me a while, Lcancelling I'm still having trouble with. The problem is that like, adjusting the timing for different characters' wavedashes is simple enough, but every move has a different timing for the Lcancel, as well as different timing for whether it hits or not, and whether you fastfall it or not. But yeah it's all just practice I guess. Like I'm noticing that as I practice, I miss my Lcancels ever-so-slightly less often.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
One thing that might help is that L-Canceling doesn't require pressing the shoulder in all the way. You can do a "lightsheild" and it will L-cancel, in other words. You also have to make sure that your SHFFL isn't purely a reflex, as the timing for the L-cancel will be different if you hit your opponent or not. Always try to L cancel before you hit the ground and not a specific time after your shorthop and fast-fall.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
dont care about how much time dude.. just keep practicing because u wont stop getting better.. this game is to deap for stop getting better..

spider_sense

Smash Champion
One thing that might help is that L-Canceling doesn't require pressing the shoulder in all the way. You can do a "lightsheild" and it will L-cancel, in other words. You also have to make sure that your SHFFL isn't purely a reflex, as the timing for the L-cancel will be different if you hit your opponent or not. Always try to L cancel before you hit the ground and not a specific time after your shorthop and fast-fall.
Slight problem of trying to lightly press the shoulder button is that your character will light shield once he lands, thus defeating the purpose of the lag cancel. I'd honestly have to say, pressing firmly on the shoulder button once you character lands should suffice. :) But good advice man.

Top Bottom