• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How has melee affected your life

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
I'm sure something like this has been covered at some point, but i couldn't find it and i'm curious so

It's happened to all of us. Call it the cost of melee, if you will. Whether it be skipping classes, losing sleep, procrastination, general time wasting, meeting new friends or getting pissed at old ones, or any number possibilities, all of our lives have been drastically affected by SSBM. Could be funny, could be sad. How has YOUR life been affected by smash?

I'll start.

I have an exam in 11 hours and here i am, on smashboards. And I think i'm gonna go play some melee now, because studying is boring.
First picked up melee junior year of hs, and my grades went down faster than titanic.
My friends and I usually like to play around evening to late at night, and i mean REALLY late at night. I'm practically noctournal now.

ME: "Yo bill, let's play some smash"
BILL: "okay, but i got lab in half an hour"
[25 minutes later]
ME: "dude, your class is in 5 minutes"
BILL: "just one more game, we got time"
[10 minutes after that]
ME: "uh, don't you have to go to lab?"
BILL: "i missed the 1st 5 minutes already, **** it, let's just play smash"

let me hear some entertaining stories, people.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Well, the only thing that's probably changed about my life is that through smash I've been able to stay out all night a couple times for tournaments.

Other than that, I keep things in perspective- I don't break appointments for smash or anything. Guess it just isn't that big of a deal for me. I think I realized this last year when people in my area wanted me to skip my junior prom and bail on my date for a tournament. Seriously.

Skip prom. to play. a game.

Just doesn't compute to me.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Well. I skipped prom for smash. But I didn't have a date, so **** it, I didn't care >_>

I've made a few friends through smash, it's very nice, really. My friend used "no johns" as the topic for his Stanford application essay. Slowly, but surely, smash takes over your life. There's no turning back.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
Before I got into competitive smash, I had NOTHING to do. I was basically a sitting duck everyday. When I stumbled upon SmashBoards, I suddenly found an addicting hobby! It's only been about 2 months, too. I was so surprised when I found out the the world's best smasher lives 5 minutes from my own home, too.

I don't have many experiences, but Brawl will change that.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Driving to tons of tournaments 5 hours away and wasting all that gas money and mileage sounds like life changing :p

I've met many amazing people through this game. It's helped a lot. My life wouldn't be the same without it, whether that is good or bad is not up to me to know.

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
missing prom for smash....well, unless you're winning some BIG money matches....uhm, yeah...

My friend had one of those tiny 5-in portable screens that latches on top of your gc, and I brought the whole rig with me when our youth orchestra did a europe tour one summer. The rest of the ppl would be out exploring vienna or something and there we were, crowded on top of my bed in the hotel room, staring at this tiny*** screen playing smash. I accidentally bought a 1000-W voltage converter so it burned out the power supply for my gc, haha. smoke was coming up and everything.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
Ive skipped countless classes.
Ive cut friends and family from my life.
Ive pretty much turned my girlfriend against smash.

Sigh...
Smash has caused so much heartache, yet Im still addicted.

Arian_Kylos

Smash Cadet
How smash has affected my life...

Simple:

My little brother almost breaks his controller when he throws it sometimes.

:laugh:

Aeramis

Smash Ace
It gives me something to do when alot of my friends want to do play video games cause most other games suck 4 player. We stay up late night playing sometimes other then that not too much changed. One of my friends did steal stuff all the time when he had nothing to do. :ohwell: Playing smash is his anti-thug. Lol

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
nothing has messed my life more then WOW that game has put me 1/4 of the year behind in school ( i do school over the internet ) even though i would still be that far behind if i only had TV i guess i just can't constrate on somthing im not forced to do

Metal_man69

Smash Cadet
Slowly, but surely, smash takes over your life. There's no turning back.
Its true. . . before smash I used to be a varsity athlete who got good grades, I ran, I lifted
weights, I studied, played guitar, now . . . my spot on the Track team is gone, I havent been in the weight room in almost a year, my grades are down the drain, and I havent even seen my guitar in months. All that and my friends and I still get together and play almost every night. ****.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I still play guitar, make good grades, have friends, work out and play smash.

SSBM has made me a much better gamer, though.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
Smash was something that my home friends played it when we didn't want to spend any money or go anywhere (which happened a lot). Oh, and I actually enjoy getting better at games (rather than winning) so that made me pick up smash as well. Did smash affect my life much? Not really... I just gained another hobby. The biggest impact of smash on me was probably 20 bucks on a new controller...

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It hasn't affected my life in a negative way. I don't really skip class or anything for Smash. Biweeklies, smashfests, and tournaments give me something to do on the weekends, and I get to have something that I can constantly improve in and have fun competing in. Smash is probably the only game where I can lose and I don't mind. Everybody loves Smash. There are usually people in my dorm smashing with me. My room is the "smash room". :)

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Nothing, only i'm MORE bored, why now i meet new friends who palys smash, but they can play except a few times, so i kinda SOOOO bored ; _ ;

SuperSmashMistress

Smash Cadet
Well, my life hasn't change as..dramatically as some of you all.. XD Butttt...

Things I've learned:

Guys HATE being beat in Melee by females. =D When it's another it's like, "Whatever man, I'll get you next time." But when a female such as myself whoops them in a match, it's like, " WHAT?! OMG NO! You CHEATED! I only lost because of that accidental suicide! wah wah wah!"

hehehe, I find it funny. Unfortunately, I've downgraded in ability. =( But, I wont let that happen with Brawl.

Oh, here's a story.

I had some friends over to play Smash one night. Hannah (my main SSBM partner & loyal Roy player) and I were teamed against a couple guys, Alex and Michael. When killed off Alex and about had Michael beat. He was on one life and Hannah and I decide to torment him with uber cheap-o moves. ^____^ Gwaha, she grabbed hold of him with Roy and I swooped in with Marth on the other side, thus, proceeded to beat the snot out of him with the basic A slash attack. He couldn't escape since the move is fluid and doesn't breat if you keep hitting A, and we wanted to see how high we could get his damage before Hannah rid of him.

Well, everyone else in the room (all fellas ) were whining and crying as we cackled. Then, Alex (as revenge) unplugged my controller (And I assaulted him for it ^o^; ). But, Michael's damage ratio was already at 200%, so Hannah finished him.

It was cheap, but it was quite amusing watching them squirm. =D We all laughed it off, in the end.

But, I haven't really made friends from it. =( I live too far away from all the tournies.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
haha well smash has affected my life in many many ways. But in particular, I met my awesome bf through it :D hehe, how geeky but true.

Razed

Smash Ace
Wow... Some people skipped class, put off their girl, lost friends and even skipped prom over smash? Wow, I feel really bad for those of you who did... that's pathetic

I play maybe 30minutes a day or so, and I'm fair at the game, and my grades are good, I'm fit and have lots of friend to boot o.o

Those of you who have lost friends or skipped prom over the game really need to consider where you're life is going.... like, skipping possibly one of your most important nights of your life so play a video game for a few hours? What the f**k?...

I'm kinda glad that I read this thread... otherwise I might have started playing Too much :/

Smash has only had a good impact of my reflexes and reaction time and made me new friends, that's all.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Missing the prom for Smash is no big deal--it's just a dance...that costs a lot.
Missing classes on the other hand...especially labs or tests, is a no-no.
Smash hasn't really affected my life that much--it's just that now, there are no other games or TV or anything else I used to do during my free time. When all my other crap is done, it's just me and Smash on Kaillera.

AverageScalp

Smash Cadet
I haven't really skipped out on other responsibilities or anything yet; but that's because I'm not a very busy person. It's sure to happen soon.
I play about 2-4 hours a day if allowed, and when I'm not playing, that's what I'm thinking about. Even in freaking welding class, I think up combos and techniques while MELTING METAL. Somehow though my grades are decent and I am rather fit generally due to my wiggly nature/insane metabolism.

The biggest problem now is that I rarely draw anymore... which is quite bad seeing as how I want to draw comics for a living someday... haha.

Oh, and about prom, I honestly view it as a waste of money and time. Why would I pay hundreds to go to a gathering of people I dislike with crappy music in the background when I could hang out with friends for free instead?

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
like, skipping possibly one of your most important nights of your life [prom] so play a video game for a few hours? What the f**k?...
XD Sorry, but this made me lol. I'd skip prom for a few hours of smash. It would A) cost me a lot less (as mentioned in greenblob's post right under yours) and B) be more enjoyable. Prom most deffinitly is NOT one of the most important nights of your life. It's a silly dance that 60% of the grade uses to get drunk and high, and that nobody remembers after 2 weeks (mainly because they were all drunk/high at the time. If you asked them wether they enjoyed prom, they'd reply "prom is passed"?).

EDIT: While I would skip prom for Smash, I wouldn't break a date. Nor would I skip prom if I HAD a date.

Skipping class/exams/labs though, I agree with you on. I have friends who skip class for games (not Smash though. Mostly WoW), and their grades suffer for it. I do play smash whenever I can (as in whenever I have a friend over. I always challenge friends to smash when they come over), but I don't let grades suffer over it. If my grades start to drop, I deffinitly don't hesitate to skip some practice sessions of SSBM to do extra homework.

Smash hasn't really changed my life, but I'm going to my first tourny on the 24th (STYD2). Maybe I'll meet some new friends there :)

Oh, and SuperSmashMistress, I agree with you 100%. It IS pretty hilarious to see a guy get beaten by a girl, then show everyone how embarrased he is by making up all kinds of johns. Some of those johns can't even be classified on Phanna's "John Chart". I think we need a new category titled "Losing-to-a-girl Johns". Anyone here who hasen't ever watched a guy get his *** handed to him in Smash by a girl, you're missing out on a lot.

psicicle

Smash Ace
"Oh, and about prom, I honestly view it as a waste of money and time. Why would I pay hundreds to go to a gathering of people I dislike with crappy music in the background when I could hang out with friends for free instead?"
"XD Sorry, but this made me lol. I'd skip prom for a few hours of smash. It would A) cost me a lot less (as mentioned in greenblob's post right under yours) and B) be more enjoyable. Prom most deffinitly is NOT one of the most important nights of your life. It's a silly dance that 60% of the grade uses to get drunk and high, and that nobody remembers after 2 weeks."

If you are playing smash in your free time, I'm sure you wouldn't be dirt poor... and anyway you can play smash at any time you want, prom is once in your life.

Of course, if in your opinion (AverageScalp) the music is bad... and you don't like anybody else then I suppose you would have more fun playing smash bros.

It just seems kind of cynical I suppose, to just look down on something that most people find fun, as if it were beneath you, although I agree that it is far from the most important night in your life.

By the way, does it really cost hundreds to go to it? (laugh at my age all you want)

Anyway, smash doesn't really affect my life at all. If I didn't have smash bros, I'd be wasting my time doing something else.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
I'm sure something like this has been covered at some point, but i couldn't find it and i'm curious so

It's happened to all of us. Call it the cost of melee, if you will. Whether it be skipping classes, losing sleep, procrastination, general time wasting, meeting new friends or getting pissed at old ones, or any number possibilities, all of our lives have been drastically affected by SSBM. Could be funny, could be sad. How has YOUR life been affected by smash?

I'll start.

I have an exam in 11 hours and here i am, on smashboards. And I think i'm gonna go play some melee now, because studying is boring.
First picked up melee junior year of hs, and my grades went down faster than titanic.
My friends and I usually like to play around evening to late at night, and i mean REALLY late at night. I'm practically noctournal now.

ME: "Yo bill, let's play some smash"
BILL: "okay, but i got lab in half an hour"
[25 minutes later]
ME: "dude, your class is in 5 minutes"
BILL: "just one more game, we got time"
[10 minutes after that]
ME: "uh, don't you have to go to lab?"
BILL: "i missed the 1st 5 minutes already, **** it, let's just play smash"

let me hear some entertaining stories, people.
You're dumb. That's not just SSBM, that's all video games.

Of course it has to affect our lives. Everything we do that is your hobby affects our life. If you think some hobby you want to do will affect your life negatively, don't play.

You also have to learn to not procrastinate. Smash has nothing to do with it. It's you and your laziness.

Whoever's life out there was ruined by melee, blame yourself.. not melee.

psicicle

Smash Ace
sorry, in my post earlier I said that smash didn't have any effect on my life, but now I actually think it has a somewhat POSITIVE effect on mine simply because If I wasn't playing smash, I wouldn't be doing anything at all besides wandering. Smash actually makes me a little more social because it is something fun to do with other people.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
^^^ WTF :rotfl:

Anyway, about prom, I honestly wish I hadn't gone to it. It felt like a waste, and I only went because I felt obligated to go. I really regret going. I didn't play Smash then, but if there were a tourney the day of prom I would've gone to the tourney.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well I guess I could start with the fact that SSBM stole more than 500 hours of my live. It also made my fingers a lot bigger and better circulated. Other than that it kept me off the streets, away from drugs and alcohol and it stopped me from making some mistakes some of my friends have made. I guess you could say SSBM was my antidrug.

P.S. LMFAO at those pictures. He's trying to turn us all into pedos with sublimanal messages.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Smash is the ****. Everytime I throw something i think bout Link throwing bombs, everytime i run i think of fox and falcon, everytime i do homework i think bout ness. Sometimes I am messed up, since iam so into smash lol. It keeps me off from getting shot on the streets, my fingers went 9999999 .99 times faster my brain got faster :p. Smash is the ****

Razed

Smash Ace
XD Sorry, but this made me lol. I'd skip prom for a few hours of smash. It would A) cost me a lot less (as mentioned in greenblob's post right under yours) and B) be more enjoyable. Prom most deffinitly is NOT one of the most important nights of your life. It's a silly dance that 60% of the grade uses to get drunk and high, and that nobody remembers after 2 weeks (mainly because they were all drunk/high at the time. If you asked them wether they enjoyed prom, they'd reply "prom is passed"?).

EDIT: While I would skip prom for Smash, I wouldn't break a date. Nor would I skip prom if I HAD a date.

Skipping class/exams/labs though, I agree with you on. I have friends who skip class for games (not Smash though. Mostly WoW), and their grades suffer for it. I do play smash whenever I can (as in whenever I have a friend over. I always challenge friends to smash when they come over), but I don't let grades suffer over it. If my grades start to drop, I deffinitly don't hesitate to skip some practice sessions of SSBM to do extra homework.

Smash hasn't really changed my life, but I'm going to my first tourny on the 24th (STYD2). Maybe I'll meet some new friends there :)
Well I'll see you there then. About the prom thing, I was assuming that everyone had a date... which I probably shouldn't have. But just the idea of blowing off a once in a life time experience for something as small as a few hours of a video game that you can play any time. I would NEVER put smash in front of a special occasion, classes, and definitely not in front of girls.

Hope to see you at the tourny! I'll be wearing shorts if you wanna find me o.o

--Raze out

Red Exodus

Smash Master
He may have saved his own life by skipping that prom, we will never know. But I know he probably saved himself a ton of regrets. I have hardly gone to any parties yet I have a ton of regrets [none involve taking risks, the involve not taking risks I have taken]. Most of my friends don't go to stuff like that so it would be boring for me to go.

AverageScalp

Smash Cadet
psicicle said:
If you are playing smash in your free time, I'm sure you wouldn't be dirt poor... and anyway you can play smash at any time you want, prom is once in your life.

Of course, if in your opinion (AverageScalp) the music is bad... and you don't like anybody else then I suppose you would have more fun playing smash bros.

It just seems kind of cynical I suppose, to just look down on something that most people find fun, as if it were beneath you, although I agree that it is far from the most important night in your life.

By the way, does it really cost hundreds to go to it? (laugh at my age all you want)
I am not dirt poor, no, and actually prom is a twice in a lifetime thing if you want it to be, maybe three or four if you're a youngin' and you're dating an upperclassman/woman.

Yes, I dislike generic pop music that took little talent to write and compose; I do not however, look down on those that do enjoy something like prom... to each their own. Although I have heard very few people say anything positive about it afterwards. Afterprom I've heard good things about, but I wasn't so selfish that I'd make my parents pick me up from it at 4 in the morning.

Yes, prom costs a ton of money, especially if you go all out like everyone encourages you to do... even if you don't go all out, formal dress is required; and I don't really have dress clothes since I find them to be useless... and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a tux.

More personal reasons towards my dislike of it is that I find being around a lot of people at once very uncomfortable, and as others have said, most use it for an excuse to have sex and do drugs. WHEEEE!!

I am ashamed that I just made such a long smah-unrelated post here.

Top Bottom