• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good is Pit ?

Exia 00

Smash Champion
That's...not how tiers work at all.

Tiers are a measurement of how good a character is in relation to the rest of the cast, when played at the highest level within human limits. And it's pretty easy to tell if a character will be good or not.

Look at that characters tools. Now compare that character's tools to the tools of the rest of the cast.

CF's tools are inferior to everyone elses. Therefore he is terrible.

So in short, a characters tier position is the same as how good they are.
Im gunna have to agree with you

....... for once xD jk.

Its true. Tiers this time around will show how good a character is. I love brawl but melee is more balanced. IE, an experienced Falcon will almost always lose against a snake that has a good idea of how to play. The case is different in melee since the lower tier have a chance againts the higher tier.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I added more too my post btw. idk how you guys configured your options but Exia 00 starts the beginning of page 2 and I am at the end of page 1

Exia 00

Smash Champion
well i think pit has the tools to be top tier. Snake really is no problem for Pit. That is a controversy but I stand by my opinion and others agree that Pit counters snake and that he isnt broken. MK is about the hardest matchup and everyone else is either equal or in Pits favor. He has a lot of favorable matchups, prob the most consistent than anyone in the game.

If he didnt have the mirror shield, I would be agreeing with you.

I really dont understand the problem with snake. Yes he has ridiculous hitboxes and is very strong, but take away the tilts due to proper spacing and snake is nothing. Wingdashing really helps to space the tilts and the mirror shield combined with the wind push from the Up b reflect grenades, disarms Dsmash, Angel ring counters Usmash, he can chase snakes off the stage, shoot an arrow that knocks snake from the cypher if he goes too high resulting in death.

The biggest prob is MK but he can be countered with the mirror shield, not easily though. Pit can reflect Robs projectiles, Mirror his Nairs....I could go on forever ^_^
Lol. It feels like i've said this before but snake just takes getting used to. I used snake in my example because he is better than falcon by far. IMO pit has the upper hand and i dont think alot of pit mains take full advantage of their arsenal. I dont use pit when fighting metaknight , it seems to be easier for me when i play defencively as snake or R.O.B in this match up.

ToonTetra7

Smash Cadet
you should look at good pits and make your decision. Out of the good pits, Me, Sagemoon, Aisengobay, and Rogue have videos up.

www.youtube.com/kupo150

If you want, you can start with the combo vids to get a feel then branch out to the individual matchs. I recommend my "Pit uses a nunchuck" one first because "A tribute to the Past" was saying goodbye to my old Pit. It is still entertaining though. Good luck! ^_^

Links to the combo vids are in my sig.

I highly recommend kupo vs Rogue matches for and understanding of pit
Cheers... I'll check them.

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
Pit's one of my secondaries, and I can safely say that I do well with him without spamming one bit. As an overall character, not as good as others, lacking a decent Dair move, as well as an up-b that does no damage. The reflector shield is virtually useless unless you perfectly master it, and that wouldn't be worth the trouble anyway. He's fast and moderately strong, that's about it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pits tier position represents how good he is.

I didn't seen anyone getting upset when M2K said he was high tier.

You weren't upset about the word tier being used then now were you?

But when someone else comes along and doesn't bull**** you and gives you the facts you don't wanna hear it eh?

And when did I say Pit sucks. Stop putting words in my mouth and being immature.

Pit is decent. Not terrible. Not amazing. That's the bottom line.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
i thought you said it because he was not of the sacred 7 for you about m2k rogue said I wasn't talking about tier list but anyway why do you think Pit only decent

P.S:: Why Toon Link isn't part of Sacred 7

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There are just more well rounded characters that are better then Pit. He is lacking in the raw kill power department which is a pretty big deal in this game and his approach ain't too crazy so when he is in a match where he can't camp effectively his gameplay takes a hit since he isn't a great approacher.

But mostly it's just that there are better characters then him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Same reasons pretty much, but he is also very unsafe on block and much more punishable. He doesn't really excel at anything in the game. He is just slightly above average at everything. So he ends up as a solid character, but not one of the elite.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Not a whole lot, but there are a few. Diddy Kong and Pikachu for sure. Ice climbers and Olimar as well. Maybe throw in Wario, Wolf and Lucario as well.

ChK

Smash Cadet
haha theres no such thing as top tier... you mean a character thats used by a lot of people.. ok that makes more sense. anyways, i've seen every character be uitilized and good at this game... and i've seen them all beat characters that are so called top tier. so think about it... theres no such thing as top tier... jesus

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
But did you konow that Wario is released easily into a combo beacause of his laggy jump break?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
O_o

I...I had no idea it was still this bad.

Good heavens.

I see there is still a long road ahead for our community.

Edit: And yeah I know. For now he is still pretty good though, but you are right and it definitely affects his match-ups. Also toss Kirby in there too. Forgot about him.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Pit has all the tools with his matchups and AT's to compliment his basics. He has good approaches and good "combo" counters. He has an awesome recovery and great ledge game.

i agree with ChK. Because there is no hitstun and the fact that there is so many defensive options in this game, anyone can beat anyone. It is a matter working harder and outsmarting the opponent.

Im not saying there arent any "better" characters its just that some have to work harder than others.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Indeed. I know. Blue Shell and I were talking about it a month ago. The grab release I mean.

Pit's approaches are decent. They are not good.

kupo15

Smash Hero
wow you respond fast EL lol.

But I am curious. What specifically makes Pits approaches not as good? Honest question I want to know your thoughts. ^_^

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Pit is a character that at first glance seems broken. However, after one plays and mains him for a very long time (for me it was about three or four months) you learn that Pit has his weaknesses. He's not broken. His arrows make him good (everyone knows that though), and he has two reflectors. He's a character that is easy to pick up and play yet pretty difficult to master. imo

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The thing about Pit's approach is that he has lag from landing with his aerials. So he must SH aerial and do it quickly so the aerial finishes before he lands. None of his aerials are all that safe though. Bair is safe when sweetspotted, but it's one of his slowest aerials. Fair is safe if Pit DI's back to retreat with it, which is good.

You could do shield canceled run into d-tilt which is safe when fully spaced, so that's nice and the d-tilt will pop your opponent up. And his d-tilt has deceptive range on it. The hitbox extends about the distance of Pit's foot from the actual blade. Which is pretty sweet.

Other then that though his other approach options are pretty basic. He has dash attack which is unsafe on block and he has dash grab which is standard.

He has some good options here and there, but overall it's nothing to write home about.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So much talk about tiers, not enough talk about Pit -_-

Anyways, in my experience, Pit is just versatile, yet isnt really big on anything; mediumweight, decent damage, decent range, etc. However what I do see is him one of the best chars in being able to gimp opponents when they try to recover.
Ex:
A char with bad recovery (Ike, Link, etc): Simply shoot an arrow and you stop them from recovering automatically, unless they are pretty high above the platform, or what I did before to Ikes, is a Pit F-air WoP.
Chars with multiple jumps (Kirby, Dedede, etc.): Shoot arrows to eat up their jumps. Use anything else that is necessary.

Other options: Mirror Shield to "reverse" their recovery to KO them. I did this a lot to MK, and Link.

Pit is so good at gimping opponents that you could choose to be at a safe distance and shoot arrows, pursue them with constant attacks (like a WoP that works well against Ikes), or wait for them to come and Reverse them with the Mirror Shield.
Does great Gimping capabilities (Excluding Spikes, unless D-tilt is done at the right time) make Pit exceptional to make up for his poor KO Power?

EDIT: I agree with Marthfanatique.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well you forgot about the Nair which is auto canceled (I find that hard to believe because Link's aerials seem to be a better auto cancel)

You can SH Nair behind them into an utilt. Utilt comes out really fast. You can also SH Nair into a craqwalk. lol yea i like doing that. His Dair also has a wide range which you not have landing lag and go behind them if you chose. I also like SH/FH Dair before the opponent into a Fair for ex. The Dair kinda acts like Marths Nair. You kinda scare the opponent a little.

Dont forget his arrows can do well to intercept approaches as well as approach if you do it right.

I agree that the Dash attack is incredibly risky and its not a good approach at all.

Your right about the Dtilt range. It is actually the same range as Snakes Ftilt and is a good combo starter.

ART isnt a bad approach either if your good at it.

His Bair is good for approaching because it has decent range and the weak bair is nice.

I would say one of pits biggest assets is being able to make himself seem vulnerable when he really isnt. Like the landing lag on his Nair or Bair is really bad but you usually powershield the attack. I am amazed and really dont know why that is.

It amazes me how fast this thread is moving. i need to type extra fast!! :laugh:

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
Let talk about Pit projectile it very spammable and you can use it while recovering w/o losing too much recovery
any 1 know AT with pit arrow

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Pit has alot of depth and potential. Arrows, wingdash all that stuff are almost impossible to master no matter what. You can always improve your accuracy or your wingdash mindgames. characters like that are destined to rise in future tierlists when the metagame maxes for the majoirty. (poor Ike hes already maxed Lol)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Well you forgot about the Nair which is auto canceled (I find that hard to believe because Link's aerials seem to be a better auto cancel)

You can SH Nair behind them into an utilt. Utilt comes out really fast. You can also SH Nair into a craqwalk. lol yea i like doing that. His Dair also has a wide range which you not have landing lag and go behind them if you chose. I also like SH/FH Dair before the opponent into a Fair for ex. The Dair kinda acts like Marths Nair. You kinda scare the opponent a little.

Dont forget his arrows can do well to intercept approaches as well as approach if you do it right.

I agree that the Dash attack is incredibly risky and its not a good approach at all.

Your right about the Dtilt range. It is actually the same range as Snakes Ftilt and is a good combo starter.

ART isnt a bad approach either if your good at it.

His Bair is good for approaching because it has decent range and the weak bair is nice.

I would say one of pits biggest assets is being able to make himself seem vulnerable when he really isnt. Like the landing lag on his Nair or Bair is really bad but you usually powershield the attack. I am amazed and really dont know why that is.

It amazes me how fast this thread is moving. i need to type extra fast!! :laugh:
Can anyone even ART without messing up? I'm still not understanding this timing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have a list of the order of ATs in the Ultimate guide ill just paste here.

Order of Importance
Wingdashing
Wing refresh
Arrow looping
Wing landing
Angelic Step
Wing canceling
ART
Glide Techs

Order of Ease:
Angelic Step
Glide techs
Wing refresh
Wing canceling
Arrow looping
Wing landing
Wing Dashing
ART

Demonic: I can do it fairly consistently. About 90% and I know when I timed it correctly or not. You can do cool mindgames with it like SH back then ART forward or run past them and do a turn around SH ART.

Top Bottom