• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How exactly does L-Cancelling work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Just an odd thought that randomly cropped up...

I know that Wavedashing was an intended bug fix. I know that Teching was built in. Yet somehow, I don't really know how L-Cancelling actually works.

My best idea is that it's actually a tech. After doing an aerial, the game puts us into a specialized "tumble" so we can't do anything for a certain amount of time. By "teching" the "tumble", we cut down the downtime. Whereas if we missed the "tech", we take longer to "stand up".

Even so, that's a hypothesis at best. Does anybody really know how this game-making mechanic works?

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure the shield animation simply cancels some of the lag when you land from ariels.

It did it 100% in smash 64

it does 50% here

thats it

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Pressing L/R/Z during the 6 frames before you hit the ground, or the frame where you hit the ground, while your character is performing an aerial A attack, causes your character to go through the same "oh no I hit the ground doing an aerial I have to pick myself up before I can do anything else" landing animation that they would do normally, but twice as fast. It works because it was specifically programmed to work like that.

Jonas

Smash Champion
ihavespaceballs is right. It's an intended gameplay mechanic to aid more advanced players, just like short hopping and teching among other things.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
AWWWWWW YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH
hal lab=smash
smash w/out hal lab and you get brawl:laugh:

Mahie

Smash Lord
Some say that the original Zcancel was meant to be in the game, and would symbolise the fact your character kept his balance, resulting in no lag, as in opposition to the lag resulting from a lack of balance after a non cancelled aerial.

The story may be true for melee aswell, and they just reduced the effect.

MarkLoo

Smash Ace
Some say that the original Zcancel was meant to be in the game, and would symbolise the fact your character kept his balance, resulting in no lag, as in opposition to the lag resulting from a lack of balance after a non cancelled aerial.

The story may be true for melee aswell, and they just reduced the effect.
lol it's not "some say" or "maybe"
obviously it's just the way they built the game
theres no way that could be a glitch.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure its specific purpose in 64 was as an easter egg, the same goes for melee save its reduction in effectiveness.
^^This. It was referred to on the official smash64 website (which afaik is no longer up Q_Q). It was called "soft landing" or something.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Pressing L/R/Z during the 6 frames before you hit the ground, or the frame where you hit the ground, while your character is performing an aerial A attack, causes your character to go through the same "oh no I hit the ground doing an aerial I have to pick myself up before I can do anything else" landing animation that they would do normally, but twice as fast. It works because it was specifically programmed to work like that.
Pretty well covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom