• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does link fair against pit and meta?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Cause I am done with losing to those *****es, they don't even have to be that great it's just their moves really, suck (AKA arrow and tornado spam)

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Well if they be cheap, be cheap back. Keep pushing them back with
arrows and the boomerang. When they get close, up smash them.
When Pit is shooting arrows, just crouch. Your sheild will block it.
If the pit is smart and jumps and shoots or something like that,
jump above the arrows and hit him with a Nair or Fair.
If those doesnt work, i dont know what to say, counterpick them
perhaps.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I can't see Pit as a big threat, although Pit does force you out of camp with arrow spam, he's not hard to take down in combat. Metaknight is the real killer though, Metaknight is way too fast to fall prey to any camp style, and Link isn't very good at playing offense... Definitely use his faster attacks, you can use his smashes, but don't use fsmash unless you know you'll hit or bump their shield so that they grab the ledge.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
There is no hope for link against pit. (at least to my experience) Wing canceling throws off everything link has, pit attacks faster as well.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
there is loads of hope
next time you're fighting pit, play mad defensively (dodging rolling shielding) to find the lag to hit him, and experiment with priority
pit is light, link's melee range is a LOT better, and there is enough lag in some of pit's moves to hit with a jab, tilt, or spin. if you hit with a jab, you can hit with a down smash for the kill. pit will fly off the top of the screen at like, 80 or 90 with a down smash.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Maining both Link and Pit, it's honestly pretty obvious to me that some of the Link's here have never played a very high caliber tournament Pit. Link can beat Pit, but a good Pit will **** almost any of you posting in here. For a Link to learn how to counter a Pit, he needs to learn Pit's mechanics through play and study. Half of Link's ATs are useless vs. Pit, and the spam game gets majorly screwed up by Pit's two reflectors. Keep in mind that Pit can INTELLIGENTLY reflect instead of noobily reflect. I'll let you figure out how that works by playing actual good Pits.

D

Deleted member

Maining both Link and Pit, it's honestly pretty obvious to me that some of the Link's here have never played a very high caliber tournament Pit. Link can beat Pit, but a good Pit will **** almost any of you posting in here. For a Link to learn how to counter a Pit, he needs to learn Pit's mechanics through play and study. Half of Link's ATs are useless vs. Pit, and the spam game gets majorly screwed up by Pit's two reflectors. Keep in mind that Pit can INTELLIGENTLY reflect instead of noobily reflect. I'll let you figure out how that works by playing actual good Pits.
explain why i 2 stocked every pit at the JCCC tourney on saturday

pit is so bad its not even funny, he's going to be bottom tier, the only thing he has going for him is arrow spam which is sooooooo easy to get past even for link

MK is a lost cause when it comes to edge guarding, if you ever try to get under the edge he'll just up b ceiling spike you then procede to dair you. The only way to beat him is with spam and or staying as close to the center of the stage as possible.

ADHD

Smash Hero

pit is so bad its not even funny, he's going to be bottom tier, the only thing he has going for him is arrow spam which is sooooooo easy to get past even for link

MK is a lost cause when it comes to edge guarding, if you ever try to get under the edge he'll just up b ceiling spike you then procede to dair you. The only way to beat him is with spam and or staying as close to the center of the stage as possible.
Ahah, laugh laugh. Try beating a good tech chasing pit with sheik and then come back here and say that pit is bad.

Unknown17

Smash Ace
I say it depends on what type of character ur facing...as in for all u know the Pit guy could be a cheap person...fair,defensive,offensive ect....i wouldn't say go cheap if Pit goes cheap but if u want go for it...cause that only means his starting war...*smiles*...i say show him or her what u got instead of going cheap to prove that to cheap ppl wont win like that...i think also that it is difficult going up against Mk than Pit...MK has sick moves that can just keep hitting u blow for blow n finish u like nothing...

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
I don't like pit, so please stop losing to him

an arrow spam is hard to beat and forces you to go to Pit where, when you're close enough, will fsmash you and start all over again. annoying little B****. whats worse is link is to slow to spam back.

How do u beat it? aerial special moves could help, well timed shields and jumps, and a ranged grab, provided you are close enough
Be sure to hit him while he's flying

Spam Meta as much as you can. Meta's sword should be obvious so a shield-to-grab will definately be useful
MK's special moves are too good. the best thing to do is run & attack when done

Skler

Smash Master
Badly (See: Link vs any character that doesn't suck).

Edit: It occured to me I didn't even answer the question stated by the TC.

Link fairs in this matchup the same way he does in every matchup.

Step 1: Jump (or get hit into the air)

Step 2: Hit forward on the Cstick or use forward on the control stick + A

That is how Link fairs in this matchup.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
Skler, your response rules. I wanted to say that but didn't because I'd feel like a grammar nazi.

TC, what tactics specifically are giving you the most trouble?

I'm gonna recommend against holding bombs too often, you lose the Hylian shield if you do that. Try advancing with arrow cancels until you're too close for him to ***** arrows at you. Timing will be rough on that, though.

sagemoon

Smash Lord

You should look at the quality of the players.

Seriously... Not many pits know how to play with ATs and such. Wing canceling gets rid of projectiles as well as moving pit (like a wavedash). A good pit should be able to do this, not only that but pit attacks faster, he can easily close a gap in the projectile game and come in with a quick smash or w/e. Pit also beats links bad recovery especially with wing renewal. Arrow looping also messes with recoveries (but that goes with all characters). I've played deva in tournament and i'm pretty sure he would agree link has nothing on pit.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
i'm pretty sure pit's smash has enough lag on it for you to jab combo if you sidestep it, and if he's not spaced right he'll miss and you can countersmash without you even wasting frames on the sidestep.

sidestepping is actually highly important, and it messes people up when you sidestep their smash.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Same goes with sidestepping links smashes, or just shielding and attacking out of shield. That applies with every character... Plus pit can smash after he side steps. I believe links smash has too much lag so you either jab combo or up tilt. I guess if you can read your opponent well enough you can win any match. Doesnt mean theres hope for link against pit. "If hes not spaced right", again, quality of your opponents. Pits forward tilt has as much range as links forward smash, not to mention the stepdodge gives pit an extra step after it.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
well link shouldn't just be smashing willy nilly. the only time i can think of smashing is when they're about to dash attack, you see it coming, and you know you have priority, or if it's a really easy edgehog, but you're better off using another move for that. a pit player might overestimate the speed of the smash and try and hit you when they can't, though, so use that against them. it does NOT apply to every character. Sidestepping a lot of smashes can actually get you nowhere. Link can time hit 2 so you get a face full of master sword, Fox's and Falco's Fsmashes can end up behind you depending how close they were, Game and Watch leaves the hitbox out so long it hits you anyways, etc.

if you get your jab sidestepped, you can time the rest of it so you hit them anyways. The actual attack portion of the whole animation is too long to sidestep, or you can jab the start of the smash. attacking out of shield can get messy, sometimes they'll push you and you'll try a move when you're out of range and get smacked. if you're standing up close to them, and they're NOT in the process of advancing, you should be probably spinning or jabbing, maybe Utilting. it's not easy to punish Link's jab if you're actually swinging towards them, and very easy to lure people into the 3rd hit (swing twice and wait, then hit A again, either you'll do hit 3 or back into hit 1), which will annoy them and knock them away from you enough to projectile them, or they don't have enough damage and you can hit them some more.

Link's moveset isn't all that great, so if you want to play it you need to do the stuff every character can do better than the other player. Pit certainly can't knock you off without getting too close to you, though, so you do have that on your side.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Do you know who deva is? More importantly do you know who I am? I'm pretty sure deva is better than at least 90% of the link players, he's one of the top, if not the top link player. Link stood no chance in the matchup... therefor its safe to assume a good link doesnt stand a chance vs a good pit.

Everything you mentioned there is basic mindgames that doesnt work too well in tournament play. For example, what if you saw me dashing at you, and assumed dash attack, instead i either wingdash backwards and do a forward tilt (outprioritizes a f-smash) or put up my shield and attack out of it.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
They can combo him pretty easily but Link's amazing Fair makes the match pretty Fair.

OH MY GOD I'M EPIC. I MADE A PUN ABOUT FAIRS IN 2 DIFFERENT THREADS TODAY.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
i know deva is of some reknown as far as the boards go, and i know you really like pit. i'm not doubting your experience on pit vs link fights. i'm not even disagreeing with you that pit should run away with it if the pit and link are of similar skill levels.

thing is, i'm not even talking mindgames, i'm talking science and frame counts. the amount of frames you can stretch link's jab animation for is longer than the amount of frames a person can sidestep, and they can't not get hit by it. i do it pretty consistently.

link attacks really slowly out of shield. someone mentioned this on this very thread, might have been you. if you don't sidestep, it's practically impossible to hit some characters after certain moves, and they can just spam them at you all day, with you only getting a chance to hit when they mess up.

link pretty much can't attack first up close against fast characters. you can deal with lots of fast character's moves simply on reaction, though. most of the ones you can't react to can't actually kill you anyways.

if pit's his problem, the only way i can think of to avoid simply playing mindgames or engraining a strategy into his head (which, for most players means they won't be able to adapt once the enemy finds a way around it) is to learn the beginnings of the attack animations that are giving him trouble and react accordingly once he sees them. if you start getting spazzy, you're screwed because then it actually becomes mindgames, and mindgames won't work consistently in high level play. you'll score a couple cheap hits off of them, maybe, but that's about it.

i know link is outclassed in the fight; pit is a fast, powerful character and link kind of sucks. link isn't safe at all in the fight. you're going to either hope for pit to mess up, or you're going to try to turn small openings (that don't even exist without playing risky) into big ones.

if you're playing a really good pit, you shouldn't count on them messing up.

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
may i do the honor of toping you all, then leave? *clears throught* the reason link can't fair against pit is because pit's not fair using his fairy wings against a fair haired fairy boy who lost his fairy bow (cauze itz teh her0s bow) to an unfair link hater (sakari) cause its not fair for the fairest link playa who used him fairly well in the past instalments, and also pits fair is fairly faster than the one with the fairy taunt. now i dair someone to top that. :chuckle:

note that the hero bow kicks ther fairy bows @$$. also, sad to say but at this point, pit has a substantial edge against link.

ADHD

Smash Hero
may i do the honor of toping you all, then leave? *clears throught* the reason link can't fair against pit is because pit's not fair using his fairy wings against a fair haired fairy boy who lost his fairy bow (cauze itz teh her0s bow) to an unfair link hater (sakari) cause its not fair for the fairest link playa who used him fairly well in the past instalments, and also pits fair is fairly faster than the one with the fairy taunt. now i dair someone to top that. :chuckle:

note that the hero bow kicks ther fairy bows @$$. also, sad to say but at this point, pit has a substantial edge against link.
How insightful

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, I play against my friend's Noob pit a lot, and all he does is use the angel ring, fsmash, usmash, arrow.
IF you hit him during his recovery he falls to his DEATH.

Pit has horrid recovery. You can hit him once in his third jump and own him. His reflectors and fmash are the only thing decent.
DON'T TRY DODGING THE FSMASH, JUST ROLL AWAY OR BLOCK
The fmash is really hard to dodge, since the second his is the one that does the killer knockback. His fsmash has really gimpy range, it is just really fast and nasty, it will generally kill Link at around 120%, maybe a little less.
Angel RING, DO NOT BLOCK IT OR TRY AND DIing.
It is hard to outpriortize his stupid angel ring, but if you refraim from DIing, and just take the 7-12% dmg, than knock the **** out of him, the angel ring really isn't that bad, once you are far enough away from it, you can just fsmash and not his little ***** *** off the stage, than edgeguard him with 1 arrow, or 2 if he has a 2nd jump/glide.

Pit is OVERRATED

I think Pit is probably the most overrated character in Smash. If you look at "who is your favorite character" thread, than look at the tournament results thread, you get to see that a lot of people LOVE pit, but he doesn't actually win that often.

The CAMPING

And the camping isn't that bad, its not like he is Wolf or Falco. Bombs also **** poor little pit, be sure to always jump and hit him with the 9% dmg bomb, that can ko him at around 165% or so, if you catch him in the air. If you are going to approach with the bombs, just jump over his arrow and throw the boomerang or bomb at him. If they connect you can either throw the bomb or hit him with your charge. Not to mention most of the tournament legal stages, are really bad for the camping that Pit is good at, which involves Arrow, arrow, arrow, and then he glides to the other side of the stage and repeats.
LEARN to use your SHIELD.
Considering he has to shorthop his arrow in order for it to hit you if you crouch with your shield, You can force him to approuch.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Well, I play against my friend's Noob pit a lot, and all he does is use the angel ring, fsmash, usmash, arrow.
IF you hit him during his recovery he falls to his DEATH.

Pit has horrid recovery. You can hit him once in his third jump and own him. His reflectors and fmash are the only thing decent.
DON'T TRY DODGING THE FSMASH, JUST ROLL AWAY OR BLOCK
The fmash is really hard to dodge, since the second his is the one that does the killer knockback. His fsmash has really gimpy range, it is just really fast and nasty, it will generally kill Link at around 120%, maybe a little less.
Angel RING, DO NOT BLOCK IT OR TRY AND DIing.
It is hard to outpriortize his stupid angel ring, but if you refraim from DIing, and just take the 7-12% dmg, than knock the **** out of him, the angel ring really isn't that bad, once you are far enough away from it, you can just fsmash and not his little ***** *** off the stage, than edgeguard him with 1 arrow, or 2 if he has a 2nd jump/glide.

Pit is OVERRATED

I think Pit is probably the most overrated character in Smash. If you look at "who is your favorite character" thread, than look at the tournament results thread, you get to see that a lot of people LOVE pit, but he doesn't actually win that often.

The CAMPING

And the camping isn't that bad, its not like he is Wolf or Falco. Bombs also **** poor little pit, be sure to always jump and hit him with the 9% dmg bomb, that can ko him at around 165% or so, if you catch him in the air. If you are going to approach with the bombs, just jump over his arrow and throw the boomerang or bomb at him. If they connect you can either throw the bomb or hit him with your charge. Not to mention most of the tournament legal stages, are really bad for the camping that Pit is good at, which involves Arrow, arrow, arrow, and then he glides to the other side of the stage and repeats.
LEARN to use your SHIELD.
Considering he has to shorthop his arrow in order for it to hit you if you crouch with your shield, You can force him to approuch.
A good Pit is fantastic with his recovery, and recover to almost any ledge on the map; even the best other characters can't gimp a GOOD Pit easily. I don't care about your friend's noob Pit. Your theory-craft lacks substance until you can back it up with competitive tournament experience.

A GOOD Pit will not use the angel ring too much vs. Link. Link can so easily hookshot-grab through the angel ring once he blocks slightly. This was clearly a moot point you bring up.

Pit is overrated, who knows. One thing is for sure is that he is not cheap and easy to win with. Of the tournaments I've been to, and those I've read/heard about, there actually aren't that many Pits in tournaments. In fact, its usually 2-3 people playing Pit in any given tournament. In a funny way, we often see 2 or so Link's in each tournament too. Go figure.

Good Pit's have such phenomenal control over their arrows, that one move can screw up even the "dome" thing thta Aurashade was describing in his guide. Sure it's not super easy, but toss in 2 reflectors, and gliding, and Pit has his own "what's up" to Link as well.

As I've posted in other match-up threads, Link vs. Pit isn't that unbalanced. But you can not say Link ***** Pit. Everybody with half a brain knows that is just plain wrong. At best, its Link 5: Pit 5. More likely it's Link 4: Pit 6.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
IMO, Pit is a lot like Link, except he's better at spamming, and worse at approaching. Among other things his recovery is weird, and his range oddly enough is kinda bad.

I'd say Pit has the advantage vs Link. Not by much, but it's because he's the one that forces Link to approach, which of course Link is bad at doing. Link has more trouble doing the same since his spam is slower, and because Pit reflects stuff.

On a small stage like Battlefield which also has platforms, they should go even though.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Tapping him during his up b, really gimps the **** out of him. You can't use any of the tether tricks, or edge hogging, but if you can not him far enough and force him to use his 3rd jump, you can possibly get a kill once a match or so, just from gimping him. But yea, but friend is noobish, so my arguement is kinda moot.

Unknown17

Smash Ace
The way i see it...is that Link is a power type character...n Pit is a speed type character...if correct they put him with extra boost of wings because Pit is easy to knock out...( not to offend anyone that is a Pit character )...is not all about that character has the most good recovery or better moves...is who u r facing....for all we know the Link ur facing,like Sagemoon said, u could be facing Deva n will lose like nothing...

by the way i want to know how to get in contact with Deva..he seems really good....

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
gliding is almost purely horizontal, and its not hard to hit someone that is gliding, unless Pit is near the top of the stage.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
umm pit can change the direction of his glide.... Boomerang is good at hitting him though, but by then hes too close to the stage to get gimped. Also pits glide momentum will always bring him back up to where he started, meaning he can zoom under the stage faster then link can reach him.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
gliding is almost purely horizontal, and its not hard to hit someone that is gliding, unless Pit is near the top of the stage.
Pit and MK can glide with speed. Couple that with th fact that they can change direction, well you can see from that.

Plus depending on the stage they can just screw with you and glide under and up to the other side of the stage :D

Hell I do it with TL on certain stages too :D

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Metro Knight, you really need to do more research on Pit before you continue talking about Link vs. Pit. Read the Pit forum, play Pit, go to tournaments.

Watch this video of sagemoon against a Toon Link, and tell me that you think that gliding recovery/attack is not that hard to hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAiHtWc_4s

I apologize, Sagemoon, if you didn't want this posted in this forum.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Oh sweet matches of me are being used as proof XD. And yeah no problem. Although that is a match at a time where wingdashing wasnt discovered yet. Possibly the main reason this matchup is so broken in pits favor.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Oh sweet matches of me are being used as proof XD. And yeah no problem. Although that is a match at a time where wingdashing wasnt discovered yet. Possibly the main reason this matchup is so broken in pits favor.
No offense to that toon link link player but he was pretty **** stupid. He threw a bomb up in the air randomly and tried to spike but failed pretty bad

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
No offense to that toon link link player but he was pretty **** stupid. He threw a bomb up in the air randomly and tried to spike but failed pretty bad
Yeah that TL could have played a lot better. But that was still a good example for the point at hand...

Garde

Smash Ace
Seriously... Of all the characters around... Link attracts the most morons...

The fact of the matter is that gliding isn't that hard to hit people out of. I hit MK players out of glides all the time, and I'm talking about tournament players. The problem is hitting them and GIMPING them while they're gliding. That is incredibly difficult.

I don't have much experience in Link vs. Pit, so I honestly don't know this match up. I know Link vs. MK, though.

MK is a *****, if you win, it's because the MK player did something stupid, several times. I haven't gotten the hang of gimping MK yet, but I KNOW it's possible. I just need to work a few more things out. Both Pit and MK can only glide once before touching down on the ground (although I think MK can force a 2nd glide via his up+B). The trick is getting them out of their glide and forcing a recovery technique, and that's not easy. Most of the time, you are putting yourself at FAR GREATER RISK to being gimped by attempting to gimp them. Of course, all the matches I've played so far are friendlies and so I can afford to lose while testing different gimping techniques out.

Anyway, I find this match to be in MK's favor just because he has an easier time KOing you. He can afford to make mistakes, but if you do, you've probably just lost a stock. He has faster moves with almost no lag, equal priority and comparable reach. He can push the offensive better than just about any other character in the game. He's not fast enough to be impossible to beat, though. If you use your projectiles intelligently, you can squeak in wins against decent MKs. I've never fought against amazing MKs, but I have fought against decent ones that do go to tournaments. A lot of my strategy against him relies solely upon arrows and the boomerang. Bombs are also useful, but I find that it's often hard to actually find the time to pull one out (when I throw out a boomerang, I often follow it up with a SH arrow). SH arrows are your friend in stopping his approach. If he's too close for a SH arrow to hit, obviously you should not use it. He'll probably try to run in at that point, at which you can max range jab him (he cannot hit you from that range). He cannot punish you for your max range jab, to my knowledge, and if shields it and tries to approach again, either do another jab (mix up timings if he's shielding so he can't easily shield grab or drop shield), or grab him. I find myself grabbing MKs who like to stay on the ground a lot, as they're usually not familiar with being able to be grabbed from their approaches. Don't ever follow MK into the air from any of your throws, you can't do **** to him, instead space yourself and use projectiles to rack up damage, or try to set up into a KO move.

Unknown17

Smash Ace
Link vs. Pit..when his gliding is easy to get him...but Link vs. Meta...that's a different story...Mk has better protection when gliding...

Top Bottom