• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you view Smash Bros?

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Not only just the new, glorious Smash Ultimate, but the entire series as a whole? It’s come a long way from just being a small fun game by Nintendo to a worldwide phenomenon. Competitively, casually, in-between, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Not only just the new, glorious Smash Ultimate,
Loaded question much?

The series peaked with Project M. The Melee community is the best subculture of Smash.

If you want more details, ask a more specific question.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Smash Bros as a series is a glorious celebration of Video Gaming as a whole, these days. Once upon a time it was just Nintendo gaming but now we've expanded a bit beyond that. It basically invented a new genre of fighting game which I believe is the best kind of fighting game, and is straight up unparalleled in its field. The fanservice and love put into these games by Sakurai and the devs is incredible.

That said, despite the noble goals it strives for... the fans bother me a lot. I don't mean most of the people I run into on smashboards, for the most part it's fine, but the people who harass Sakurai for not putting Waluigi in the game, or the competitive people (ESPECIALLY the competitive Melee people) tend to be straight up obnoxious, which is really unfortunate.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
This has become my favorite franchise for its incredible representation of Nintendo as a whole. Every character, stage, game mode, and collectible has so much heart and soul poured into it. It IS a shame that we can't just have a game with thousands of characters to represent every obscure character from every obscure Nintendo title to satisfy everyone, but I feel the developers and Sakurai have always done their best, and they really do represent the best of what game developers offer. I can NOT WAIT for one more month to pass....

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I've gone from casual to competitive.

1999 - 2001 : N64 was my first console. Smash was my first game. Loved the heck out of it. Kicked my little brother's butt everyday.
2001 - 2008 : Got gamecube. Got melee. Melee was the ****. Fox was my main. I trashed all the kids in the yard.
2008 - 2012 : Barely Played. Brawl? Smash 4? When did those come out?
2012 - 2016 : Played melee religiously as a cult classic fighting game with my college-aged peers. Got into the competitive scene around 2016.
2016 - 2018 : Began to learn some tech skill and watch videos about certain characters in an attempt to become more skilled.

2018 : My melee main is now Captain Falcon. I'm going to my first tourney later this month, and I want to host a local tournament at my local retro video game store for the Ultimate release. I try to get everyone I know to play with me. I drag around my Wii, melee disc, and a CRT everywhere. I love the game, even if im not playing competitively. I'm very excited for Ultimate. I hope it will satisfy all smash players and be the "ultimate" unifier between smash fans.

D

Deleted member

I view Smash as my hobby. I enjoy, i do all the single player modes, (except Smash 4, it was just too cluttered for me. I only ended up doing Classic Mode) and i play competitively. I take the game very seriously, which sometimes can be a bad thing...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I view Smash as my hobby. I enjoy, i do all the single player modes, (except Smash 4, it was just too cluttered for me. I only ended up doing Classic Mode) and i play competitively. I take the game very seriously, which sometimes can be a bad thing...
I wonder what it'd be like to play against you. I see you around SmashBoards often.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Which question? There were three. How were any of the questions loaded?
...The part I quoted? Including the claim that Smash Ultimate is glorious is loading the question, isn't it? Maybe it's not, but w/e the correct term is for it, it's bull****.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
...The part I quoted? Including the claim that Smash Ultimate is glorious is loading the question, isn't it? Maybe it's not, but w/e the correct term is for it, it's bull****.
Exaggeratory is what it is, but loaded? It's not. Even if it was, just remove "glorious" and you end up with the same question.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Exaggeratory is what it is, but loaded? It's not. Even if it was, just remove "glorious" and you end up with the same question.
...Yes, removing the problematic part of the question would make it unproblematic. Idk why you felt it necessary to mention that.

D

Deleted member

I wonder what it'd be like to play against you. I see you around SmashBoards often.
Tbh, im not that great. You probably wouldn't have to hard of a time. Would be fun to play you tho!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Melee fanatics will claim that the game was at its best before Brawl. Or that PM was the best. Honestly, Smash gets better with every game, anyone who still claims in 2018 that the best Smash is still Melee/PM is either blinded by nostalgia or whining that they can't abuse Melee anymore.

Ultimate is clearly the best Smash. Whilst your question is completely suggestive, it's undeniable that Ultimate has already done more for the Smash community than any other Smash game. As a whole, I feel like within the next few decades Smash will evolve to one of the world's most recognizable titles.

D

Deleted member

Melee fanatics will claim that the game was at its best before Brawl. Or that PM was the best. Honestly, Smash gets better with every game, anyone who still claims in 2018 that the best Smash is still Melee/PM is either blinded by nostalgia or whining that they can't abuse Melee anymore.

Ultimate is clearly the best Smash. Whilst your question is completely suggestive, it's undeniable that Ultimate has already done more for the Smash community than any other Smash game. As a whole, I feel like within the next few decades Smash will evolve to one of the world's most recognizable titles.
I agree with you, but be careful, im already hearing the sounds of hell coming your way...

Last edited by a moderator:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Try to be more positive about your skills and strategies. Whatever the outcome would be, there's always room for improvement. :D
Damn, this is the kind of positivity I LOVE seeing from the gaming community. Getting all teary eyed here! It would be an honor to cross your paths in SSBU =P...Sorry if I obliterate you in advance! <3

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Damn, this is the kind of positivity I LOVE seeing from the gaming community. Getting all teary eyed here! It would be an honor to cross your paths in SSBU =P...Sorry if I obliterate you in advance! <3
I'm not always positive, and it's unfortunate that I would show more courtesy toward someone I don't know personally than show someone I do know that same courtesy. I don't know why siblings can be rude toward each other at times. Still, I try to be positive and decent. I'm currently in FG hell for gratuitous reasons, but if you ever want to do dittos or whatever, I'm available at Discord as well. I go by Crystanium and my number is #2364.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I'm not always positive, and it's unfortunate that I would show more courtesy toward someone I don't know personally than show someone I do know that same courtesy. I don't know why siblings can be rude toward each other at times. Still, I try to be positive and decent. I'm currently in FG hell for gratuitous reasons, but if you ever want to do dittos or whatever, I'm available at Discord as well. I go by Crystanium and my number is #2364.
Siblings are a giant PITA most of the time anyway. Unfortunately, when the switch was launching, I did that deal at gamestop where I traded in my WiiU for an extra (whatever amount it was) towards the switch, so I am playing brawl as I eagerly await SSBU! I try to stay positive and upbeat too, as there is enough BS in the world, but anyways, it is far more fun to ENJOY smash win or lose, than get all pissy when you aren't always #1.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I started playing Smash with Brawl in 2011. I pretty much played it exclusively as a singleplayer game until about... I wanna say sometime before Smash 4 was announced. Because before then, I had started going to a video game club at a library that was pretty much just a glorified Smash Bros meetup for teens. That's when I started playing Smash Bros multiplayer, but still from a predominantly casual perspective. I stopped being able to attend the club due to my **** grades in high school sometime after Cloud-- possibly after Bayonetta as well --came out. I haven't really played any Smash all that much since then, singleplayer or otherwise. Last year, when I was in college, I tried getting back into Smash 4, but that was an exclusively-competitive scene so I was pretty much SOL on that front.

So now I'm just waiting for Ultimate to come out so that I have an excuse to play Smash again.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Throwing this out at a general warning...

Please do not bring Melee vs other Smash games into this thread. It does nothing but cause problems for both sides so avoiding the subject, unless special circumstances, is best
. Also, please remember replying to spam/flaming/trolling/inappropriate content/etc is just as bad as the post in question.

Top Bottom