• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you use Ganon's moveset?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Title pretty much says it all. How do you use each of Ganon's moves?

Jab
Even with it's buff, I still don't use this that much. It's almost always outclassed by F-tilt and D-tilt, and there aren't many situations where 1) those 2 frames actually matter and 2) 8 frames is actually fast enough

F-tilt
Muhahaha DAS BOOT. I love this move. It's one of Ganon's best kill moves and one of the best kill moves period. It hits on frame 10 and kills at 90%, and even if it doesn't kill, it sets up perfectly for Ganondorf's amazing edgeguarding. Other than that though, I don't use it for much else except for the occasional pivot mixup.

D-tilt
Another great move. I primarily use it as a spacing move and a desperate kill move at higher percents. It has utterly obnoxious range (ever notice how almost all of Ganon's good matchups share short range as a weakness?), a nice disjoint at the end, and sets up combos.

U-tilt
It's ok. I mainly use it as a safe edgeguarding tool, especially against characters who have a hard time sweetspotting the ledge. It's long range makes it fairly safe, and it covers pretty much all ledge options when properly spaced, but Ganon's edgeguarding is so good I don't use it that often.

Dash Attack
All-around excellent. Ridiculous range, low start-up, huge damage, big long-lasting hitbox, and sets up combos. This is a great move to scare people into shielding, which allows for free Flame Chokes.

F-smash
It's Ganon's big bad scary elbow of <60% kills! But other than that, I don't use it much. It kills things; that's basically it.

D-smash

Kinda meh, I mostly use this when I either have my back to the ledge and I'm not close enough to grab and B-throw or when I have someone on right top of me and I'm not sure where they're going.

U-smash
Yesssssss, one of my favorites. I use this move for basically everything on the ground: Shield pressure (21-24 shield damage per U-smash + safe on block), killing, damage building, blocking approaches, and more. It's ridiculously powerful (disjointed too), obscenely safe, and combos into basically any aerial you want. The only drawbacks it even has are short horizontal range and long startup.

Grab
It's a grab. It beats shields.

F-throw
A big hefty punch that does a buncha damage and puts people offstage. I don't use it for much else.

B-throw
It's a big kick that puts people offstage and can work as a desperate kill move. I don't use it for much else

U-throw
The super ultra Patty Cake attack is just sort of bleh. It's nice if you're on Battlefield and want to dump people on platforms, but it doesn't do much else.

D-throw
Amazing. Combos, sets up 50/50's for kills, and is just plain fun in general. I almost always use this throw unless I want someone offstage.

Nair
This move does a ton of things. It actually can work as an approach, it combos, does boats of damage if both attacks hit (21!), and above all else, is an excellent combo breaker. I use it quite a bit.

Fair
I usually use this move when I want to challenge something in the air, as it has a big disjointed hitbox, has a long hitbox duration, and hits like a truck. Fastfall Fair is an excellent way to hit a large part of the screen quickly.

Bair
I usually use this as my "Plan B" edgeguard. Most of his other aerials edgeguard better, though it still hits hard. It is however, an excellent onstage spacing tool to discourage approaches, and it's great off a trump if they don't jump.

Dair
I mostly use this as a big scary instakill attack that will punish any mistakes made offstage. Onstage Dairs have hilarious hitstun, which is great for comboing and 50/50's, though it's slow startup overall limits my use of it.

Uair
Ganondorf's big scary aerial trump card. I don't even need to say much about it. It basically does whatever you want it to do when it comes to aerial situations, and it's a ridiculously good edgeguard tool.

(For the sake of simplicity, I'll only be going over specials/customs I regularly use)

Warlock Punch
I actually prefer punch to blade, as having the threat of a 180º-purple-backhand-of-doom on shield breaks makes U-smash shield pressure incredibly scary. I only use it for shield breaks though.

Flame Choke
Like U-air, not much even needs to be said. It's one of Ganon's best moves, setting up kills, applying shield pressure, racking of damage, it does tons of things. Ganoncide is more fun than a barrel of kamikaze monkeys.

Dark Fists
Anyone who's played me with customs knows how much I love this move. I honestly use it too much. It's just has so much potential. It kills at insane percents, and it's armor makes it beat out anything slower than frame 5.

Wizkick

On the ground, it's a nice roll punish and a decent burst movement option. In the air, it punishes juggles hard, and it meshes with Dark Fists well. Doesn't do much else for me though.

Dropkick

I mainly use it when recovery is a priority. It's also nice for beating certain projectiles. Not much else though.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Jab:
- I use it when I need a long-ish range punish and nothing else will do the job. It's just the fastest move that isn't grab that Ganon has, and the 10% dmg buff actually means that it does that job a little better at sweetspot range where you can't get a grab.

F-tilt:
- Standard punish, polishes off stocks well.
- I like to do pivot F-tilts to convert a tech chase near the ledge into an offstage situation.

D-tilt:
- Poking move for longer ranged footsies.
- Kill move on lower ceiling stages or against characters who do not have guaranteed Ftilt as a followup off unteched choke.

U-tilt:
- Pretty much either a rare edgeguard or an even rarer hard read onstage.

F-smash:
- Punish for highly laggy moves and falling aerials.
- Punish pre-emptive spotdodgers.

U-smash:
- Punish for falling aerials that F-smash won't catch (too high)
- Baiting with IASA frames.
- I honestly don't use it as much as I should, ridiculously good smash attack.

D-smash:
- I'd say about half the time I use it is due to input error.
- Other half, I honestly am not sure why but it's at least conscious.

Dash Attack:
- Fast, decent punish.
- Sour spot combos at early percents.
- Hit people off a backroll read.
- Fast option for high percentage kills on light characters.
- Test my opponent's reactions with it early in the game by going for DA in neutral.

D-throw:
- Early percentage combos.
- Setup for airdodge reads.

F-throw:
- Damage racking at mid to high percents or to get opponent offstage.
- Creating distance at low percents.

B-throw:
- Purely for getting the opponent offstage or extremely high percent kills.

N-air:
- Catch airdodgers by following their trajectory until they land in the 2nd hitbox.
- Fastfall offstage for when I choose heavy coverage over lethality.
- Short hop Nair if opponent is trying to get inside me or cross me up.
- Aerial spacing tool in fullhops, discourage strings when airborne.
- When I need a fast hitbox in front of me that won't leave me lagged out when I hit the ground.

F-air:
- Punish moves that are laggy enough for me to jump over and respond with Fair (some projectiles, etc.)
- Bait with fullhop B-canceled Fair.
- Hit people standing very close to the edge (from offstage).

D-air:
- Fullhop Dair to intimidate people in neutral or catch careless shorthopping.
- Mid percentage reads on rolls, lead into an aerial.
- Kill people who regrab the ledge.
- Very rarely spike someone offstage.

B-air:
- Spacing option against tall characters.
- Punish for failed ledge pressure if I ledge jump over my opponent.
- Kill against airborne opponents who attempt to trade with it.
- Honestly one of my rarer moves.

U-air:
- Pretty much an all purpose tool.
- Kill move at high percentages against airborne targets.
- Gimp with RAR Tipman offstage.
- Short hop AC on stage against tall characters.
- Main move out of Dthrow.
- Fast option to hit someone standing above the ledge with ledgedrop DJ Uair

I mainly play Standard Dorf, so:

Warlock Punch:
- Counter to Flare Blitz spammers.
- Aerial reverse to get a little bit of recovery high offstage.
- Troll move onstage.

Wizard's Foot:
- Edge cancel into a variety of edgeguard options.
- Edge cancel into onstage Flame Choke to catch people by surprise.
- Tech chase rollaways.
- Decent high percentage kill move.
- Catches spot dodgers with its long-lasting and big hitbox.
- Challenge juggling attempts.
- Counter to grounded anti-air attempts.

Flame Choke:
- Shield pressure.
- Set up tech chase.
- I usually go for no more than 2 consecutive flame chokes before using the best followup option.
- If I score a choke on the edge of the stage, I back off into the stage to cover more options and attempt to land as many chokes as I can.
- Suicide kill off risky ledge pressure attempts when at stock lead or last stock situation.
- Ledge getup option against shield grabbers.

Dark Dive:
- Pretty much just my recovery move.
- Occasionally hit people with the hitbox if they stand too close to the ledge.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm not gonna do his entire moveset right now, but I wanna say something about his Jab:
Although I don't use it that much, in some MUs, in high-level-play, it's sometimes exactly what you need (and your only way) to gain momentum.
There are a bunch off attacks in the game that can't be punished with Dtilt/Ftilt, opponents PSing them, and that are out of range of our grab - this is where Jab comes in.

Also, when you Gerudo someone uphill at low%s and they don't tech, Jab sourspots and jablocks.
This is where you hit them with an Usmash + free aerial.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I'm not gonna do his entire moveset right now, but I wanna say something about his Jab:
Although I don't use it that much, in some MUs, in high-level-play, it's sometimes exactly what you need (and your only way) to gain momentum.
There are a bunch off attacks in the game that can't be punished with Dtilt/Ftilt, opponents PSing them, and that are out of range of our grab - this is where Jab comes in.

Also, when you Gerudo someone uphill at low%s and they don't tech, Jab sourspots and jablocks.
This is where you hit them with an Usmash + free aerial.
How low % are we talking here?
Also is it a true combo if they don't tech?

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How low % are we talking here?
Also is it a true combo if they don't tech?
I don't know the exact %s, but maybe between 0 - 20. Then again, if the Jab is super-stale, It could probably Jab Lock at even higher %s. I wouldn't be surprised if it could Jab Lock at like 35% - super-stale.

Yes, it's a 100% true combo if they don't tech. Try it Vs Olimar.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm just gonna make his short.

Jab

I don't really use this one much except when I'm not going for a grab.

F-tilt
I like to give people the boot, of course. It is one of my best kill options which I only use when I see an opening...or when the person just runs towards me without thinking.

D-tilt
I don't use this one much except when hitting the opponent while still on the ground.

U-tilt
This one is pretty risky as I only use this for gimping. Does work well for shield breaks.

Dash Attack
I use this to punish those after missing their smash attacks.

F-smash
It hurts a lot, alright. Not much use for it despite being another good kill option for me.

D-smash
I only use this when I'm in the middle of the stage or whatever.

U-smash
I haven't found much use for this since I rarely use this one.

Grab
Nothing too fancy about a grab.

F-throw
I don't use this one much. I usually follow this with either a forward air or neutral air.

B-throw
I use this to send them flying offstage followed by either a forward air, back air or down air.

U-throw
Not much use for this one. Usually followed by an up air but nothing too fancy about it.

D-throw
This is my second favorite one here (after back throw). Does set up for some crazy combos for it.

Nair
Instead of going for a dash attack, I use this as a way to approach.

Fair
Basically the same reason as neutral air though I also use it against those attempting to recover.

Bair
When I don't find opportunity to use down air for the kill, this is what I use.

Dair
I use this, of course, for the spike. I don't use it on stage unless the opponent is at such at a high percentage for the kill.

Uair
A move I rarely use unless the opponent is in the air.

Well, that's pretty much how I use his moves. I'm gonna skip on the specials here.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Having so much trouble...Ganon feels extra slow since the patch..
I dont know what it is...man..i used to destroy Ike's now they are destroying me...
What is the best approach? Its the most painful thing about ganon...and how i get punished the most..
Im never approaching with dash attack again...
NAir or Flame Choke?
Is NAir the best approach?
Guys need help...
I need to see some of the videos of people here and how they use ganon.

PS: what is B-Cancelled FAir?

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Having so much trouble...Ganon feels extra slow since the patch..
I dont know what it is...man..i used to destroy Ike's now they are destroying me...
What is the best approach? Its the most painful thing about ganon...and how i get punished the most..
Im never approaching with dash attack again...
NAir or Flame Choke?
Is NAir the best approach?
Guys need help...
I need to see some of the videos of people here and how they use ganon.

PS: what is B-Cancelled FAir?
That Ike trouble? He got a bunch of buffs.
As for approaching, if you dont have to, dont. Let them come to you, bait and punish.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
and how i get punished the most..
Sounds like you should play some other character for a while and then return Ganon when you feel like.

Ganon is generally one of the easier character to punish in this game, but don't forget HIS punishing-abilities.
While Ganon is one of the worse characters at light punishing, he's one of the strongest when it comes to medium and heavy punishing.

Ganon being bad at light punishing is one of the reasons why he has trouble with ppl like Sheik, who can pretty much only be light punished.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sounds like you should play some other character for a while and then return Ganon when you feel like.

Ganon is generally one of the easier character to punish in this game, but don't forget HIS punishing-abilities.
While Ganon is one of the worse characters at light punishing, he's one of the strongest when it comes to medium and heavy punishing.

Ganon being bad at light punishing is one of the reasons why he has trouble with ppl like Sheik, who can pretty much only be light punished.
I started being DDD and i might drop ganon...its pissing me of hard people demolishing me with mario and such and when i used to demolish them..
I used to beat even the best Ike players now he is above ganon...

Its difficult for DDD to kill though..he has no practical killing moves..
Jet hammer...not practical..
Dash attack...not practical..
Back air..not practical to go for on stage really..
Only thing he has is up smash and down smash that are of normal power...

Started to be charizard he kills easier but im not really a fan of how he is used...not really to my liking...

There is bowser and i have a good bowser but its to easy to win with him and it doesnt feel satisfying..i only switch to hik when some1 pisses me off i wreck em then i just leave..or continue wrecking them with bowser...
Man.. i wish DK was good...i really hope K.Rool gets added...the heavyweight pool is really low and lacking...they arr the only chars i play as...

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
@ Dark Phazon Dark Phazon
Ganon's Dash Attack is one of his best moves for approaching. He also has Nair, Wizkick, and Flame Choke. With that said, all of those are commitments, so if you don't land it you will get punished.

Just remember: Getting that first hit is hard, but once you get it...

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@ Dark Phazon Dark Phazon
Ganon's Dash Attack is one of his best moves for approaching. He also has Nair, Wizkick, and Flame Choke. With that said, all of those are commitments, so if you don't land it you will get punished.

Just remember: Getting that first hit is hard, but once you get it...
I will never leave Ganon....thank you.my ganon bro i love you.

Is that you playing? It was nasty :)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find that i play the best with Ganon is when im doing crazy random movement...well its crazy and random to the opponent but really all im doing is baiting and trying to confuse my opponent so my moves are easier to land.

Like when im short hop fast falling for no reason over and over but not doing aerials also running abit back and forth then going for a flame choke.

You really do gotta help ganon get his moves in...

The NAir both kicks hit +
Down tilt once or twice depending on character+
Dash Attack +
UpAir

Is like a fricking 60 hit combo lmao...thats just ridiculous...
Another one of my favirote combos.

Flame Choke tech chase into DAir then Up B uppercut of the screen. For a KO...Sooo DiRtY....
Well..what do you expect from ganon...

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Jab: Decently quick option. It has little endlag as well, which helps. I use it when I'm really pressured or want to unstale a move.
Ftilt: positioning, kill move. It's a good trapping move as well and kills horizontally.
Down Tilt: spacing game. Also a good move out of choke if your opponent isn't good at teching.
Up-tilt: edgeguarding. Not seen as much but style points for initiating it.
Dash Attack: Good approach option. Can combo into up air or up smash. Good to use if I can't seem to land kill moves and opponent is over 140.
Fair: It can combo to itself if you read the getup attack. I've once pulled a string of 4 fairs because I was able to read someone's reaction. It's also good for punishing ledge get up options. Up part and forward: jump option, attack/regular get up: lower part.
Dair: style points.
Up air: juggles, edgeguarding, low percent tipman to choke
Bair: against characters recovering, or big characters to make them eat big damage.
Nair: fan favorite; I use it to edgeguard off stage, kill at high percents, and use it as a combo breaker.

Down throw: combos. DIing away/no DI = up air followup, DIing towards : up air or fair follow up. I love this throw.
Back throw: just need to get some guy off stage.
Fthrow: rack up damage/throw a guy off stage
Up-throw: against Shield Shulk

Dark Fists: (Shoryuken) - Recovery/random 2nd hit kill/option for opponents not getting up from a choke or reading a slow roll and delivering it

WizKick: Surprise kills/Ledge cancelled to any move

Choke: obligatory choke to follow up.

Warlock Blade: Manage space/disrespect
Warlock Punch: Super Armor/disrespect

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Lately I've been full-hop up-airing in the neutral game to bait commitments as a mix-up for upsmash once they get that downloaded. Ganon's full hop is just high enough that sneaking another aerial out before you land or landing with a tomahawk is a really helpful mind game. Not to mention, you can throw in footstools and side-B as another layer of deception. Basically forces the opponent to guess correctly and helps learn their habits.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I tend to throw out safe and/or Lagless moves outside the opponents range and abuse the IASA frames on usmash to bait.

I often use reverse SH uair as a pseudo jab due to its speed and large hitbox.

I usually use my smashes as punishes at early percent's and then use tilts and edgeguards to get my kills.

Utilt has its uses for reading getup options at the ledge...

Usmash is one of my most used moves overall. I swear I use it up to 50 times in ditto matches on occasion.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dont use upsmash that much..
But i think im gonna start using down smash more just because its fast and has the 2nd most range 2nd to Down Tlit.
Just wish Down Smash was abit stronger.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Very basically, get real close to your opponent and quickly pressure them. It won't be long before they're flying away.
That and use his many edge guarding tactics.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Jab
I use it mostly as a quick GTFO move when F-tilt is too slow, not much use outside of that.

F-tilt
Kill move, spacing move, it's an amazing move & the best F-tilt in the game IMO.

D-tilt
Long range poke, killing at higher %.

U-tilt
Rare edgeguarding tool, not as useful once people stopped falling for it.

Dash Attack
Approaching, combo set ups, killing at higher %, one of his best moves.

F-smash
Murdering everything in sight, SHIELD BREAKING, his most underrated move & incredibly scary.

D-smash
When messing up a dash attack, rare mixup, it's only good against Olimar out of a choke.

U-smash
Hitting opponents on platforms, Shield breaking, anti air, baiting in opponents & in general a very safe move.

F-throw
Racking up damage when D-throw stops being useful

B-throw
Setting up edgeguards

U-throw
Rare mixups, not much use otherwise.

D-throw
Setting up at low-mid %

Nair
OOS option, spacing tool, combo breaker, good edgeguarder against characters with poor recoveries.

Fair
mostly for punishing bad approaches, relatively safe because of the shield pushback, sometimes for edgegurds when i need to hit from above.

Bair
Safe spacing tool because of the AC, OOS option on certain characters, general kill move.

Dair
OOS option, sending people to the shadow realm, set up tool at low-mid %.

Uair
For almost everything, there's not much this move can't do.

Warlock Punch
I barely use it, only against very few moves it's useful (like rock smash).

Warlock blade
A bit better than punch but still niche, useful against certain moves like fire slap & Rosalina's rapid jab.

Warlock thrust
Useless

Flame Choke
Set up tool, breaking down defenses with aerudo, recovering, ganonciding.

Flame wave
Only against Rosa because choke is almost worthless against her, i use it as an option against her shield. it's great against her because of the super armor & the fact that it murders both her & Luma.

Flame chain
I don't use it at all, i think it's a bad move with almost no use, it's decent against Rosa but i like wave better.

Dark dive
The only good thing about this move is the uppercut, it helps Ganondorf recover much more safely, this move is still horrible.

Dark Fists
OOS option, punishing bad approaches with the super armor, tanking edgeguards with the super armor, ledge coverage option with the uppercut, Ganondorf's best custom.

Dark vault
Why does this move even exist?

Wizkick
Quick punish option, setting up edgeguards with wizkick cancel, KO move & shield breaker with air wizkick, recovery mix up.

Dropkick
Quick punishing option against certain characters, escaping juggles & air chases with air dropkick, punishing with awkward angles with air kick, recovering, I never use it to approach, it's a horrible approach move (like regular wizkick) & should be use mostly for punishing moves that wizkick can't punish.

Wizard assault
Useless

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Jab: That quick punish that grab can't reach and I'm unsure dtilt can punish.

Ftilt: Use it off reads like rolls are a dash attack.

Dtilt: Stringing tool, spacing tool, kill move.

Utilt: Safe edge guarding alternative for some risky recoveries, also use it to cover that zone and make them recover high.
i did this to a Ness before for the kill with an aerial after he shot himself upwards.

Fsmash: Reads at any percent, sometimes as a counter due to the wind back dodging things now and then, on Luigi's sheild, out of a running stop.

Usmash: My first choice for a punish since it leads to aerials fairly well, I love punishing people who adodge my dthrow.
Used out of a pivot too rather than other moves whenever possible, been using this one a lot.

Dsmash: Never

Uair:Swatting people with the semi spike after dropping off the ledge, parts of combos, combo breaker, semi spike out of juggles, into the ground for follow ups.

Fair: Nice run off finish, spacing

Bair:Trump kill, shff kill, spacing, retreating with it.

Dair: One of my favorite combo moves, kill move, ideal punish for offstage air dodges, sometimes on shield depending on the player and character.

Nair: First hit shffd for combos, spacing, hitting things like pkt and gordos, gimps, fast falled out of a ledge hop for those soft hit stage spikes, back hit box for slightly different follow ups

Dash Attack: For approaching and charging through projectiles like arc fire, combos and strings, late kill move

Dthrow: Combo/string throw, sometimes I punish the reaction

Fthrow: Damage and positioning, sometimes I double jump into wizkick and they jump up trying to attack me but the brief pause saves me and I spike them for the kill.

Bthrow: Super late kill move, positioning, sometimes with that wizkick thing mentioned above.

Uthrow: Love this move, I punish what they do fairly well from this for great results and may even opt to use it over dthrow at times.

Warlock Punch: Very rarely, for maybe like flare blitz or an air wizkick.

Flame Choke: Not as often as other dorfs but I use it to damage rack, get unteched follow ups, punish the reaction, condition to not shield, and for reads on the ground or in the air. Sometimes I'll hold down and keep an active grab box over the ledge to cide.

Wizkick: Mobility with cancels, trumps from cancels, punish from a distance, roll reads, tech reads, to break juggles. reach the edge faster, land laglessly when high enough, used from the air into surprise cides, used after dropping from a platform like on smashville for spikes or just to set up my dark dive recovery to hit far into the stage as it's at just the right distance.

Dark Dive: I use this a lot actually, I punish jumps with it, fast fall into ledge trumps if I miss, sometimes out of a wizkick cancel, out of a ledge hop on the first frame for a surprise uppercut kill which can then be fast fallen to the ledge, out of a ledge hop to chase into the blast line, used when landing on a platform like I'll use it at Smashville offstage, out of a grab offstage I air wizkick down and chase while still being able to recover, maybe out of a throw knowing grab won't connect but uppercut will, recently to intercept pkt2 recoveries etc. You could probably identify me by this move lol, I use it a bit recklessly at times but I've gotten fairly good with it in a way I'm not sure other dorfs have(Not that they don't use it well like Ray.)

Top Bottom