• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you retain/keep information about Smash bros melee? competitively or just reg

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes, how do you remember ALLL the info that Smash can give you?

Do you remember things, or do you feel you don't and must re-read matchup guides, etc?

Smash has alot of depth to it, we probably don't have ALL the info in our brain, at this moment. We may need study habit techniques to remember them. : ]

Of course, I try to remember info that matters competitively, in vs games.

I don't know much about BEING THE BEST at completing something, such as target test. Of course, I do at times try to beat my record in Target Test to test my self on how I aim, etc.

LLDL

Smash Hero
The best thing to do is to play friendly matchups with a person equal of skill or better than you. During these matches, you practice doing things that you've read or been told as advice over and over. Eventually, it becomes like blinking.

The brain automatically tells your eyes to shut when it detects an object coming within close perimeter of them, or if there is dust build up, and the action happens automatically. With repetition, your brain will tell you to do these "smash reflexes" as well, you won't even have to think about it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I see. Well I mean things like combo percents, match up advice, etc. LOL

Reason why I asked is because I USED note cards. Yeah, did that. :p

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
it still comes down to just playing more and figuring out what works.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Of course. I am always practicing stuff, because its sooo fun. : ] I just use note cards because i can ace a test with them %100, so why not smash? :p

(course I'd bring them, read them, and then play : D )

Geist

Smash Master
I guess you could take notes lol
Just because of DI and rection time, and other crazy factors in melee, memorizing combo percentages is more a guideline than a difinitive number you have to remember, like frame data. You just have to remember stuff like 'uair to utilt combos from around __% to __%' but imo it's just as important to be able to improvise stuff.
As for matchups, once you get enough experience with your character, a lot of those things become more and more obvious in theory, and become more and more natural when you apply them in matches through repitition.

I guess if you just want to remember frame data it takes memorization, but as a whole the smash community is less reliant on it than other fighters.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Most of it just comes from playing for years and years. Some of it is memorization though, such as percentage-based chaingrab follow-ups with fox and marth, and when certain things become, or stop being viable with certain characters.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
The imprecision also comes from stales moves so of course no one will say at 21%, this works because the moves you use do variable amounts of dmg. It will always be a range.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Easiest way to retain information is to use it often.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The imprecision also comes from stales moves so of course no one will say at 21%, this works because the moves you use do variable amounts of dmg. It will always be a range.
Marth and Fox's chaingrabs on Fox and Falco are extremely % specific, so this is false.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
actually those percentages can change depending on how fresh your uthrow is. people typically pummel between uthrows though.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well, why DOES the smash community not rely on it as much? (on frame date I mean) I'm just doing this because I don't want to forget anything...

I will be using things in repetition, but I'm just doing this to be on the safe side haha. Yes, I'm sure the note cards as a guideline will help immensely.

And yes, I would like to be able to remember my percents. That is one thing I don't think I DO remember. (which is why I started)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Some players like to use frame data to see what move works best in what situations etc. They then develop strategies and derive a certain few "best" options for situation w/e.

Some players like to play depending on the style of play they face against. And develop strategies based on other players play not on hard data.

It just depends what kinda person you are I guess.

Foodacris

Smash Rookie
I can't speak for Smash in particular, but when I used to play competitive Halo I would always remember certain things and be able to build conclusions on other things based on what I knew. For example, given that I know how to play Guardian Oddball very well, when Heretic Oddball began to be played in MLG, I could already form strategies and setups for the new map without remembering how it used to be done in Halo 2 on Midship.

I think this concept could similarly apply to things like remembering key points in specific matchups or something like that. Of course, everybody is different and will most likely remember things in different ways.

Bones0

Smash Legend
memory jar
Pensieve?! :O

For me, I have never had an issue remembering a tactic really. Once I understand WHY something is useful or necessary, remembering it is really simple. You can't chaingrab spacies with Marth past 30% is kind of random/hard to remember if you don't realize that you are limited to that percent because they can DI out. Or perhaps someone just suggested grabbing more often, and if you realize you should because your opponent is shielding a lot, it makes way more sense and becomes obvious.

Some of the people I play with frequently have trouble using new tactics, so I always try to make them understand WHY you have to use that tactic. If you tell someone to stop fsmashing shields, they probably won't until you explain (or demonstrate) how you can just WD OOS to grab to huge combo over and over.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I get the feeling that memory jar was actually an MTG reference

I really suck at remembering how people tech, is that relevant haha

DI / comboing comes from feel (also DI away or neutral is almost always the right move until you're going to die)

Top Bottom