• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you prepare for Tournaments?

Saltix

Smash Lord
First of all, this isn't like starwarrior27's post "How to train for tournaments". I'm asking something different.

I've been to about 7 Melee/Brawl Tournaments, and with the exception of one, I end up in the 2nd-8th place range. I'm tired of consistently taking those spots and never achieving a win.

What are some ways that you prepare for a Tournament, or in specific, a Tournament match? Good breakfast, lots of sleep, meditation?

For the upcoming tournament I'll be competing in, I have 5 friends coming over. We'll have 3 Wiis and alternate 1v1s all night. Is this a good method, and is there anything you do that I don't?

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Before a tournament, i usually get some people that are coming with me to the tournament and play some matches. We play how the tournament rules are set too.
Haha wow, candy helps you concentrate? Haha ill be buying some airheads next time we i go.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Yeah same here. But why Airheads in specific? Ill have to look that up.

Lucky. My friends like brawl but won't compete :[

Beta9001

Smash Apprentice
Don't eat chinese food or mexican food. Unless you want poopoopachew owie stomacho time.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
smash alot a couple days before, and the day right before wake up early, and smash till night, but sleep quite early, and right before you leave, smash and get in that competitive mindset

Xihyon

Smash Cadet
I have ADD and I'm going to see if taking medication will help me concentrate through the matches and duration in between. I doubt it will affect my performance.

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
I have ADD and I'm going to see if taking medication will help me concentrate through the matches and duration in between. I doubt it will affect my performance.
it probably will, most ADD medications are stimulants
also practicing 1v1 on all the legal+counterpicks for the tourney, sleep, caffeine, sugar, energy drinks, and having an anti snake or MK strategy

MDK00

Smash Ace
this is actually a pretty good question. i'll just mention what i do...
most of the time when you enter a tourny you have a good idea of where u stand among your scene.
so i usually focus on the people better then me and what chars they use and get any practice against their chars. having a good plan and actually testing it out is very helpful imo.
if you dont know ur opponents, really and truly the best you can do is practice with friends (NOT CPUs lol) and any personal chars that u have trouble against u shud get ur friends to play them and see if there are any weaknesses that you can find so u can exploit it.
seriously tho get enough sleep. be healthy for tournaments man.

fresh_meat

Smash Rookie
SLEEP, i cannot stress this more. i just tested the affects of sleep deprivation; the effects on your games are: accuracy slightly altered, Timing TOTALLY off, and your mind game is basically nonexistent also you mind often wanders around, often taking you away from the game...don't do a all nighter training for the tourament, if you do your an idiot :p

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
Adequate sleep, sufficient hydration, and proper nourishment are what you need biologically, and nothing helps you get better at Smash than playing Smash so do that at some point, too.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
look at the tournament like an exam. you study more and more in the days leading up to the exam (smash a lot with tournament settings against other good players) and the night before you get to bed at a decent hour and get up early to review before the exam (smash before the tournament, go through strategies, get mentally ready). everything posted in this thread is all good advice. boo 4 skool

Saltix

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the advice btw. I didn't do so hot last time, but I picked up a new character and I'll prolly follow this stuff this time.

I did this last time-didn't eat close to Tourney Time
-stayed up til like 5 the day of, woke up at 2, Tourney at 6 :[

We'll see how I do in 2 weeks

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
look at the tournament like an exam. you study more and more in the days leading up to the exam (smash a lot with tournament settings against other good players) and the night before you get to bed at a decent hour and get up early to review before the exam (smash before the tournament, go through strategies, get mentally ready). everything posted in this thread is all good advice. boo 4 skool

lols but s probably best to rest a bit from it so u have a positive attitude wile playing...

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i sometimes have this problem too, i will just crash and lose all ambition and playing ability during a tourney, i like the idea of have candy around and i'm thinking i'll take some excedrine to keep my brain from hurting, smash tourney can be very taxing on our eyes and your mind, the high stress that can come at competetive play does require you to keep your head clear and requires you to keep your mind clear, the mlg link is pretty good, also, if your a smoker step outside and light up, you might as well be relaxed haha

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I haven't been in a SSBB tourny yet, but I have competed in lots of martial arts tourneys and placed well. Everytime before I fight I have a pre-fight dance that I do. I kinda jump a couple of times and wave my arms around. Apparently it looks funny but it really gets me in the mood to kick some butt. I only do it when I'm about to fight.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I prepare for tournaments by playing Mario Kart 32-race GP.

Top Bottom