• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you manage the controller?

ScouT

Smash Rookie
I've been looking around and there is no thread that discusses the pros and cons of different methods of using the buttons on the controller. And as a diddy main, i feel it necessary for us to discuss it because of how many different things we have to do ( Z-catching being a huge part of this). I am a tap jumper. and because of this, i use the C-stick rather heavily, even for aerials. i know i know, its not recommended. But i have found a way around the somewhat tricky aspect of SHing on the fly to grab a banana off say, the battlefield platforms. I now use X to SH up, Z-grab and then use Z as a substitute for A in the throwing of the banana. You can hit forward and Z at the same time to have the same effect as left/right + A and the c-stick.

I know that this is probably fairly well known, but a lot of diddys out there that use tap jump may find maps such as battlefield a little more challenging.

How does everyone else manage this?

ScouT

Smash Rookie
yes, instant throwing. I know it can be done, im just saying the way I have started using seems to be far easier. Are you a tap jumper?

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
GC Controller: Tap Jump OFF. Attack on L. Jump on B. Grab on Y. Special on X. SH Shield => C-Stick to Instant Throw.

Yes, these are seriously my controls. Ask Gnes. :)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I use L to jump for catching bananas with aerials. And X is shield cause it's better for teching than R (since i dont have to press all the way down on the R button)

Player-3

Smash Hero
well when i dash dance i usually use my hand, but for super speed i use my tongue

normal controls tap jump off

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I have my controller modded so that the springs are taken out of the L and R buttons. It makes instant glidetossing and other banana tricks SOOOO much easier. I also use L for jump so I can Upsmash OOS, Jump canceled throw, and use L for picking up bananas while running, jumpung, and doing an aerial. I normally use X to jump. I also have tap jump off.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I have my controller modded so that the springs are taken out of the L and R buttons. It makes instant glidetossing and other banana tricks SOOOO much easier. I also use L for jump so I can Upsmash OOS, Jump canceled throw, and use L for picking up bananas while running, jumping, and doing an aerial. I normally use X to jump. I also have tap jump off.
What does jumping OoS have to do with USmash? I'm not sounding angry here btw, I really am curious. Wouldn't the timing for simply releasing shield be identical?

Taking the springs out makes perfect shielding easier too.

TreK

Is "that guy"
my controller must hate me, I'm mashing it like a madman =o
I have no particular control for diddy, but I have Y set to grab and L set to jump for the characters I play for fun

But I have 4 stickers I took from bananas on it, I'm still looking for some but I don't eat that much nanaz XD
I don't remember who gave me this idea, but madloads of <3s to him/her.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
What does jumping OoS have to do with USmash? I'm not sounding angry here btw, I really am curious. Wouldn't the timing for simply releasing shield be identical?

Taking the springs out makes perfect shielding easier too.
when you release your shield, it takes 7 frames for the shield to disappear. When you jump from your shield, it takes 0 frames. so if you release your shield and up smash (diddy's upsmash takes 5 frames to come out), it would take 12 frames for it to come out. The mechanics in this game allow you to input a jump before you upsmash or throw, which allows you to do reverse upsmashes while running with characters. By jumping with L (easier for me) and then upsmashing, it takes 5 frames for the upsmash to come out, instead of 12. So when an opponent gets to close and attacks your shield from above or closely behind, I upsmash OOS to catch them off guard, where they would have more time to react during the extra 7 frames.

ScouT

Smash Rookie
yes, this is exactly where i intended this thread to go. keep it going.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
heres my setup

tap jump - off

L - Jump
Y- Grab

L as jump is important for alot of reasons but one of the lesser known reasons for diddy to have a shoulder button as jump for his 4th recovery option shown here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2uair9THRI&feature=related

It can be done with any jump button but its easier when its a shoulder button. its really situational but still nice to have . mainly for getting spiked lol its very useful for meteor canceling imo

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm the diddy that spams utilt the most out of those I know, and I stickjump lolol

How fast do you escape grabs ?
People said I was a madman yesterday. They were impressed I could escape after 2 pummels at 130% ie, or that I could SDI and tech IC's dthrow-nana fair while mashing... I just don't get why they don't do it, I have poor button mashing skills (I can't rise with Luigi's jumpless cyclone yet ie) but mashing out of a grab is easy....

white peachy

Smash Ace
I'm the diddy that spams utilt the most out of those I know, and I stickjump lolol

How fast do you escape grabs ?
People said I was a madman yesterday. They were impressed I could escape after 2 pummels at 130% ie, or that I could SDI and tech IC's dthrow-nana fair while mashing... I just don't get why they don't do it, I have poor button mashing skills (I can't rise with Luigi's jumpless cyclone yet ie) but mashing out of a grab is easy....
Luigi's cylcone is more about timing than mashing. In melee you had to mash it but in brawl it's a lot easier once you get the timing down.

TreK

Is "that guy"
yeah, it's timing it so there's like 1 press every 4 frames... I call it mashing lol

I guess that's the thread's point so I'll exlain a little, even if I'm not any good at this (see reflex lol)
I turn the control stick in circles, mash L and Z, and slide my right thumb back and forth from the c stick to the x button.
The math is simple, if I recall every pad input takes away a tenth of a second of being grabbed
A circle with the control stick equals 8 inputs
Z is grab so it's shield + attack aka 2 inputs
c stick is a direction + A so it's 2 inputs, but it must be released before it works again (thus the slide thingy, I'd be turning it otherwise and it would be twice as effective). since you slide from B, it will most likely be a diagonal, which is then 2 directions + a, aka 3 inputs.
Y is set to grab for me so it's 2 inputs too
All the others are 1 input each
So each time you do what I described above, you take away 2,6 seconds of getting grabbed. I can do it 2/3 times a second I guess and most pummels last half a second so at 130 you should be able to escape after 2 or 3 pummels. Plus you may be able to turn the control stick faster than me which isn't hard honestly, or slide your right thumb faster than me which is easy since I'm left handed.
I didn't even train at this, I just read how it worked and used it in a match. I don't want to break my pad so I won't train anyway lol

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
X set to grab
Tap Jump On
Everything else unchanged

Srsly, tilting with TJ on isn't hard if you're not forcefully smashing your control stick. 3:

Top Bottom