• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you go about choosing your mains?

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
When I choose my mains, it's generally by two factors: How comfortable I am when I play that character, and how much I like that character as a character.

Lucas is very fun to play as, and I always feel at home when I pick him. But there's also the fact that, at least from what I heard, the Mother 3 storyline deals with him going from a child to growing up to a mature young boy, which I think sounds interesting. Basically, whenever I play Lucas, I die a little inside, knowing I can't play what sounds like an awesome game :urg:

R.O.B. was also a fun choice. I'm still practicing using his laser effectively, but his gyromites are always satisfying to pull off, as well as his Nair. But I also like how much character he seems to exude, despite his robotic nature.

This type of mentality unfortunately comes with a bias for certain people picking mains just because they're popular. The biggest example being Marth mains (partially excused if you've at least played a Fire Emblem game once), or Wolf mains (If I battle a Wolf main, I expect them to unload every Wolf quote they got) . It's a bad bias I'm trying to get over.

Browny

Smash Hater
my mains all have a lot of story behind them

Lucario and sonic both have movies, not to mention lots of cartoons about them which gives them a lot of character. Ness' games are also strong on story telling to an extent (well, in comparison to mario and starfox series lol). same with Link.

i thought of maining wolf, pit, MK but they really dont have any background except thier games.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I, like you always choose my mains on how confortable I feel when playing them, and how much I like them as characters.

My main in Brawl is Wolf, he's just perfect for me because:
1.- He's a Wolf (Wolfs are my favorite animals)
2.- Has the best taunt in the game (howl)
3.- Always usefull to have a reflector.

In melee though, Samus was my main because of her plain badassness and Metroid being my favorite game series.

I believe someone who chooses a character for his tier possition is bound to enjoy the game much less than someone who choose a character for liking it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've always chosen mine based on how they look, and then I just practice until I'm comfortable with the playstyle (unless its too obscure). Then I'll choose seconds and thirds based on similarities to my main.

I picked Kirby in 64 because I thought he was cute. Jigglypuff in Melee because I thought it would be embarassing to lose to a character as lame as it, and I didn't like how they nerfed Kirby. Wolf in Brawl because he looked extremely badass, and again, I didn't like how Jiggly was changed.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
First I look for the most bad*** characters (making my first mains Wolf and Ike.)
Second I look for an effective overall ground and air game. Not necessarily what is the best, but what I am comfortable with, which is usually what is best.
Third I look for the recovery... Most characters are just fine here but characters like Jigglypuff (I don't like to work for it), and especially Ness and Lucas (I really HATE using their recovery) are absolutely counted out here.
Then I look for projectiles. While this isn't required its very nice to have. I started using Zelda almost just for her Din's Fire, then started liking her powerful moves.
Then I look at the rest of the stats (weight, speed, power, reach, etc.) A character that I find to incredibly slow to use (like Ganondorf) just doesn't make the cut.

Some characters I just can't stand to play.
I don't main Snake because he is so broken and boring to play.
I don't main R.O.B for the same reasons as Snake.
I don't main Meta-Knight because he is stupidly broken.
I dont' main GaW because for the same reason as Snake, R.O.B., and Metaknight.
I don't main Marth because he is gender confused and incredibly broken (though he does have a smooth all-around game.)
I don't play Kirby because I can't stand the way his reach works (when I play him I usually just find myself spamming aerial b-forwards).
I don't play Diddy/Donkey Kong because I can't stand monkeys.

But thats just me.

ZSSamus

Smash Apprentice
Well I go with characters I'm familiar with. Since SSB I've used Samus, but now with Samus being nerfed and all, I figured the next best thing Zero Suit Samus. I also love Wolf and Falco, although I think Falco's far better.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Originally, I was planning to main Peach in Melee (didn't get the game until 2005), but due to her unappealing moves, I decided to main Zelda instead.
I'm going to admit, Zelda sucks in Melee, but I mained her anyway. Now I'm maining Zelda in Brawl.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I just go with characters that are fun to play or I choose my favorites. I used to main Lucario, but it started getting boring.

Kirby~ Dair spiking and those ridiculous are combos are too much fun for me to pass up. And I like Kirby. ^^

ZSS~ I like the fast fighting style she has. I knew I would main her when I saw the first trailer.

Diddy Kong~ Funny character and I <3 the bananas. :3

Dedede~ I couldn't get used to how slow his attacks were at first, but now I think I've got it down. :p

Ice Climbers~ I mained them in Melee, and decided to main them again. Controlling two characters is actually easier for me than controlling one character. o_O;

ZSSamus

Smash Apprentice
Originally, I was planning to main Peach in Melee (didn't get the game until 2005), but due to her unappealing moves, I decided to main Zelda instead.
I'm going to admit, Zelda sucks in Melee, but I mained her anyway. Now I'm maining Zelda in Brawl.
For sure. Zelda rocks domes.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I choose by 2 factors: Popularity and Tier.

I don't USUALLY play as the more "popular" characters, such as Ike, as 790,824 other people are also using him. Instead, I go for the not-so-popular ones. Those of which I main are: Ganondorf and Sheik. I don't know what it is, I just hate being the same character as someone else.

Tier. I play to win, and I intend to use the materials to do so. Popularity doesn't matter as much to me here.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, but... haven't there been a dozen or so of threads talking about how/why you pick your mains?

Anyway, I pick Mario because I grew up with him and I'm more comfortable with him than I am with a controller and he lacks any real flaws.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I main Peach because I love that she's the only one in the game that can float, favorite nintendo character, I normally play girls in fighting games and I liked her the best, takes effort to win with her, and good recovery, love her play style, and shes cute.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
I pick my characters based on looks alone. I don't give two good kitties about the playstyle (though I do dislike slow characters just a tad)
Therefore explaining why I play as ZSS.
Shes good looking and has a relatively fun playstyle.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I picked Olimar because Pikmin is one of my favourite series. I usually go by my favourite characters/characters from my favourite series, and try to adapt to their playstyle. I chose Luigi as a second because the Mario series was my first favourite, and Luigi is made of more win than Mario.
I chose Bowser as a third because he is the main villain of my favourite series, and the first villain I grew up with.
I do randomly play others sometimes because I like their character-character.
Ganondorf - Best Nintendo villain. Ever.
Samus - Metroid is a good series.
Link - Badass.

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff - She's cute and not many expect to be beaten by Jigglypuff. I still use her even though her rest was nerfed.
Wolf - He's just awesome. And its fun to spike em with >b
Snake - I used to suck with him but after a while I got used to using him. And its fun snakedashing and using explosives.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Whoever I am best with is my main.

My favorite characters/most fun ones are secondaries.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
How much I like playing them really. Except for Pichu in Melee. I did like how he played but his cuteness and pure epicness is what made me main him along with DK and Luigi.

In Brawl I main DK, Fox and Sonic because I really really like how they play. I do like the characters and their games alot though. I was actually just playing Starfox 64.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
PT because pokemon are sexy. Not really, but I fell in love with the concept of three fighters. Charizard is just badass, and Squirtle is a ninja turtle.
Also R.O.B. and G&W because I find them charismatic. And then people laughs at me when I say that.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I don't care if the character is good or not, hence my melee main of Kirby, whom I won 3 tournaments with. But Captain Olimar is My main because he was my ONE make or break Smasher, I love the Pikmin Series, and he's just plain awesome, I love him, and he didn't dissapoint I was like this when he was confirmed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuGF8NVKzLU

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
When I'm picking a main I usually only have one thing in mind: "What would most embarass people to lose to? Who is the most hated character in this game?" From there I usually go about on a grand task to make that my best character in order to grind sand into my opponents eyes. In Melee I mained Game and Watch and Pichu (yeah....**** Mewtwo) with Young Link being right behind them. In Brawl I watched the backlash over the character selection and decided to work on Dedede and ROB first. After making them my top two I found that they werent as hated as everone said they would be so right now I'm maining Sonic. I should probably pick up more with Donkey Kong though. Ha.

Top Bottom