• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you get around long range moves with Luigi?

jbandrew

Smash Lord
I'm starting to have problems with moves that outrange mine alot.

Mostly against characters with long range like Marth, MK, and Snake... any suggestions on how to get around them? I'm starting to notice that grabbing more in these matchups helps a bit.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
powershielding is hard on wifi. Truth. But seriously is there any strat vs long range characters?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
powershielding is hard on wifi. Truth. But seriously is there any strat vs long range characters?
Lol I got my powershielding skills from wifi. Besides it's just wifi.

But yeah it's really true, powershielding does make a really big difference against people longer range then you. If you noticed a spammy double SHFF Fair Marth, you just need to powershield the first fair and/or second fair or go for a DAC. People who love to spam lasers like Falco, you just walk > PS your way inside.

I'm still having trouble with snake lol. I'm about to give up on the matchup anyways

WIGI

Smash Champion
im not great against marths, but when i do retraeting fireballs, it usualy goes like this:

they keep getting hit until i make a mistake, then i get *****. you really have to play a flawless defensive game to get around them, then wait for them to screw up when your doign the reatring fireballs and throw in some dairs, then get inside, deliver a hit, then do not try to combo if its a stretch, go abck to reatreating fireballs. its so gay,....but so is marth so w.e

edit: snake is soft. mk is not bad. its marth and G+W that **** me

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Yeah wigi pretty much hit the point. Your gonna have to play gay alot in order to win since this is what Brawl is all about, if you need to camp, then camp it out. Fireballs is your best friend. You have to make sure you stay inside marth and get a dthrow combo at him then look for upb to make sure your winning.

The worst part I hate is, Luigi on the edge, he literally has no options on the edge. espically people like marth. its frustrating as it seems.

it might sound weird but the turn around buffer (dair FFAD buffer it to turn around jab) gives a nice slide and jab outranges our own dsmash so it's pretty cool to get our way in

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
SH approaching dAir retreating Fireball. The height of the fireball during this double aerial string is mid-height so it will hit both the short standing MK and the shorthopping Marth. Retreating with the fireball helps avoid getting hit during the ending lag of it while the fireball will keep them at bay standing or shorthopping. MK and Marth require very similar strategies that use this retreating Fireball, while you might need a different strategy for Snake.

RAR. No need to explain this one since it's Luigi's longest range attack and you can fit 2 in a SH (the second of which will nearly always connect if the first one got shielded).

FFAD to Jab. When you really need to get close, this and PSing are your best option. The FFAD helps you get inside and the Jab helps interrupt whatever attack they were going to use. Upon landing with this setup, you're only vulnerable for 1/12th of a second before your Jab connects... so make sure it connects.

Grounded Cyclone. Nuff said.

fTilts. Use them more. I'm not great at it myself, but if you're quick enough to realize that the Jab is out of range, forward tilt. That or retreat.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
It's all about the retreating and approaching.
If you can get closer and closer, but never get hit you are fine.. Eventually you will get close and do what you do best.

Lew

Smash Cadet
Might be stating the obvious here but you can also use the turn around slide with other stuff like retreating fireballs which is decent.
yeah i like the retreating fireball...for me personally it kinda seems that it leaves my opponent guessing if im gonna rush in after or just stay outside for a bit. i mean i guess you can kinda mix that up and use it for some type of strat:dizzy:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Might be stating the obvious here but you can also use the turn around slide with other stuff like retreating fireballs which is decent.

hm that works too, better way explained it lol. from what I noticed, when you turn around you get a slide but does it only work if you turn around right? Idk how to walk and pivot (insert anything) unless it's automatic which is why I'm trying to find a way if you can like true pivot a shoryuken lol.

that's a cool example though. Gotta steal it. Btw sexy avy/siggy Magus :)

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
hm that works too, better way explained it lol. from what I noticed, when you turn around you get a slide but does it only work if you turn around right? Idk how to walk and pivot (insert anything) unless it's automatic which is why I'm trying to find a way if you can like true pivot a shoryuken lol.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232317

Well in that time I know I told you that you can safely ignore it, but it seems now that you need to read through the whole post.

What does a true pivot mean to you hippie; you might have the wrong concept of it. When you start a Dash, there's a time window where you can stop dashing or pivot without going into a slide... stopping this way is a Fox Trot, turning around this way is a True Pivot. Hold the Dash any longer than this and you'll slide if you stop or turn. You won't be able to exit the slide animation until Luigi stops sliding or you jump. But it's only with this "Full Dash" that you can perform Sliding Pivot Grab, Reverse Hyphen Smash, RAR, etc. True Pivot means no slide.

Now since, Luigi has no time to slide while doing a FJP/SJP anyway, what's the point of having a True Pivot or non-True Pivot FJP anyway? That's why I don't understand what you mean. Explain yourself.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Well, I refuse to play against Marth or Mk with Luigi... I got wolf and diddy respectively, but...

My play style is very fast, I crawldash and buffer and jump around all over the place to make it look like I'm spacing, when in reality I'm just air camping like a slow version of wario. I do this with some mix ups to adapt while I wait for a good opening , then go in and capitalize. One combo is usually enough to get into kill percents, then I run around and do the same thing until I get a kill opening. It works surprisingly well actually. Just note this is all Lucario experience teaching me this, so it shouldn't be a bad idea against other similar characters.

Just_Gabe

Smash Rookie
Aganist Marth, spacing properly + bair works wonders. Aganist Snakes I found that most of them take out a nade and shield expecting for you to attack them and getting hurt, but it can easily be turn around with grabs.

For MK, oh man, I HATE that little blue piece of s**t I really have problems approaching it, but cyclone works good sometimes and fireball too, unfortunately he mostly outranges EVERY **** attack (correct me if wrong).

Ant1

Smash Ace
This seems like the only thread i can ask this on.
If Luigi is past 100% and falls off the stage (lets say battlefield), after he grabs the edge, if D3 holds out his jab, is there anything Luigi can do to get back on the stage?

The only way i have seen work, is if u tornado around the jab and maybe side-b or up-b. But this puts luigi in a vulernable position to D3's u-tilt or smashes.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm assuming d3 is doing that jab that stays out forever, but gotta remember d3's positioning on the jab lol. you can just do get up attack from edge since you have inv frames. though I don't know why good d3s would be doing a jab near the edge lol.

Da Illlest

Smash Cadet
Approacthing with cyclone and fireballs to stay close. Sounds simple and it is. But for g&w i dunno but when i get close i can hold my own.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
For GW, just use the bair and fireballs, I use the TOS a bit more often <.<

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Boss does a lot of D-air -> Tornado baiting. SO like he'll be mixing up his spacing with his aerials and stuff and then out of the blue he'll Tornado and get in a cheap hit.

Oh and he Jabs a LOT. That Jab has insane range for its speed. Abuse it. Like even a simple D-air -> air dodge -> Jab works wonders.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
This is the problem with this game, so little options.

Unlike in melee even against godly falco lasering thats more than spam, those are meant to control the stage an you, theres so many ways around it. My favorite is to eat a few lasers an than punish once they thik im open but im not.

This isnt melee, its ****brawl, so....

Retreat, PS, Double Jumping an coming high....timing Nados. Mindgamez. You must get past it, not Luigi. ITs hard

EDIT: QFT "D-air -> air dodge -> Jab works wonders"

So true

Top Bottom